Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Replacement Tube Advice

I have a fender blues deluxe amp, and I was wondering, what are some good replacement tubes that will give me a warm, crunchy sound.

It seems that this may not be a popular amp around here but thought i'd try.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Van Murph,

There is a guy named Bob at www.eurotubes.com who has become an underground "hero" to many. His website is informative, as long as you
    remember he is a salesman. That said, many of us would probably tell
    you to check out JJ tubes. I re-tubed my Triaxis with the 12ax7's and
    aside from one faulty tube, I haven't had any complaints. Mostly, I and others would probably steer you away from Chinese made tubes. Stick with Slovak and Russian.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The fender blues deluxe is a good amp, but as far as crunch, that doesn't come as much from the type of tubes as the gain stage within the preamp and the speakers. If they're the Eminence type, the sound is a little too warm for a good crunch sound. They're a little flubby in the low end too. Celestions are better for a more agressive sound, and will bring the mids out more.
    As far as the tubes go, if I'm not mistaken the power tubes are 6L6's, not designed break up too early, and the amp's circuit is designed around the fender tweed circuit, which uses the power stage for any crunch you might get. That means you probably don't like the preamp gain too much and will have to crank it to get any real breakup. If you want more gain try some Ecc-83's in your preamp stage, but no matter what type of tubes you use you're probably going to have to use a good distortion or overdrive pedal for any real crunch.
    JJ's are great tubes but because of the circuit design they won't give you any more noticable crunch. There are mods that can be performed on that amp for more crunch but they're not always as expected either.

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

right on, thanx.

So I guess need to decide on one of the three: 1) JJ's 2) Stock replacement (the 6L6's) 3) Groove tubes . Then do the price comparison and see what I;m geeting for my money. JJ's are sounding preety sweet right now.

I do get a pretty decent crunch with my set up. I use the 1st overdrive channel set just over halfway combined with a boss OS-2 distortion pedal(really like this pedal) If i want descent crunch without a pedal i have to go to the second overdrive channel and pretty much crank the drive up all the way.

I haven't replaced my tubes for about 7 years and they have lost their edge.

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    So I guess need to decide on one of the three
    Sorry, i temporarily became rainman there for a sec, thought i edited that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Murphenstein, it sounds like you know what you're doing by understanding the amp's capabilities, and are using your head.
    I'd stay away from lower end russian power tubes. Svetlana C wings or JJ's biased slightly hot will sound good in that amp.
    Russian tubes as a rule tend to be brittle sounding and can sound flat.
    Svetlanas, although russian, are good because they can take more plate current than the majority of tubes out there so you can bias your amp on the hot side without problem. They sound good when pushed, and they're very good harmonically as well. JJ's 6L6GC's are good tubes and can take higher plate voltages too. Soundwise I believe they're both very close.

As far as preamp tubes go, in the past I've used chinese preamp tubes in my bassman with good success, as well as JJ's 12ax7-Ecc-83S tubes wich are in there now. For the sound I want from that amp the JJ's are better.
    Mesa and others sell chinese preamp tubes under their own brand name.
    While other preamp tubes can be a little tricky to spot as far as country of origin, chinese tubes are very easy to identify. A chinese preamp tube will always have small horizontal silver ribs on both sides of the plate inside the tube. If you see these little ribs then regardless of the manufacturer or name on the glass, it's chinese.
    The chinese tubes are good for more gain and earlier breakup with great harmonics but the problem is finding good ones that don't sqeal harmonically.
    Good chinese tubes are amazing, poor ones squeal like a pig as soon as your volume goes up, and unless they're tested there's no way to know which one you have.
    My boger head uses only chinese tubes, which is the way bogner ships them. Those tubes have been in there for years and still sound great. I tried substituting all kinds of others, including old USA RCA blackplates and they didn't sound nearly as good as the chinese tubes.

Electro harmonics is supposed to make good 12ax7's, but they're russian, and while I found them ok sounding in a marshall, I thought they sounded pretty bad in my fenders and awful in my bogner.
    If you can get JJ's they're not expensive, every bit as good as and possibly more so than groove tubes, and I think you'll be happy with them.
    Make sure you get the amp biased when replacing the output 6L6's. With either JJ's or Svets you can bias on the hot side without worrying, and if you haven't changed them in 7 years they're definitely due for replacement.
    Last edited by tribb; 01.23.05 at 12:23 PM.