Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dear Lord, what have I done? 26.2 miles?!

I was sipping beers with my buddy Brian last weekend and he told tales of his recent adventures running in the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in Phoenix. He completed the half-marathon course.

Somehow we convinced ourselves that we MUST run the San Diego marathon June 5.

Week one of training is under my belt now. Dear heavens, I'm in for a world of pain, I just know it.

I'm a former runner, so my body knows the drill, but I've never run a marathon.

Anyway, if any of you have (or know someone who has) run a marathon, I'd love to hear your advice and/or horror stories.

My plan is this: I have 16 good weeks of training to go. I'm putting in two runs during the week (Monday and Wednesday. About 5 miles each), and then a long run Saturday (starting at 6 and building to 22). Tuesday and Thursday are my martial arts days, so no running then.

My goal is this: finish the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon.

Wish me luck. (I'll update my training here each week if anyone's interested.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm planning on doing a marathon in 2006. I may do a 10k or something shorter this year, but the long one's gonna have to wait until I get into better shape.

I've been talking with a few marathoners lately about tips and training. They say that http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ and http://www.marathontraining.com/ are pretty good sources of online info.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

I ran the Hartford Marathon in 2001 and it was tough but satisfying. I didn't train as much as I should have because around mile 19, I started to feel it.
    Then, around mile 22 the "wall" hit me. I was on fumes the rest of the way but finished in 4 1/2 hours. I plan on running it again in 2006 with a better training plan.

Good luck to you!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

BOL to ya TE
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Last Online

12.14.06 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, that's quite the distance, but it sounds like you have yourself a pretty solid training plan there. Good luck man, keep us posted.
    "There are two rules to living well. The first is, don't sweat the little shit. The second is, it's all little shit. In other words, it's all okay. We may be lost, but we're way ahead of schedule." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

And when you do run the Rock & Roll Marathon here next year, I'll be sippin' beers in the shade, cheerin' you on!

Good luck!
    Nothing to see here.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I wish I still had that kind of self-discipline. Some year I want to do a marathon, but it won't be this year.

I remember my first triathlon. It was a spur of the moment type thing, where a buddy asked me to do it with him. I didn't have a road bike at the time, and had to do it on my mountain bike. I hadn't swum in... wow, years. It was a ton of fun, though. After the swim and bike I was pooped. By about that time the elite athletes were just finishing their entire course. I got into the transition area, grabbed my 'after-the-race-meal-ticket' and chowed down with some awesome athletes. They were all talking about how their race had went, and when they asked me all I could say was, "dunno, I'm still in the middle of it!" That got quite a few laughs.

After that I did one a year for a while, and sort of geared my workouts towards them when I had them coming up. I wouldn't exactly call it training. I haven't done one since 1999 now, and I should probably change that. None of my buddies will do them with me anymore.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Man...I always thought a marathon would be a cool accomplishment; but then reality smacked me like a virgin on prom night. ( true story, for another time & thread)

I used to run just to stay in shape, or to drop some weight; but never was "religious" about it. Now I wish I could go from the house to the curb, with my garbage cans, without getting winded.

Hey Scott, if you'd like an awesome challenge that is in the 10K range, try the Quad City Times Bix 7

It's a tough race, but it is tons of fun. I ran it from 86 until 97, then it just got to be too much to stay in enough shape to even train for it. Leg, feet and ankle problems, etc. But it's an experience like you'll never get anywhere else.

For those serious runner that are familiar with the runner's names; you'll see lots of Olympians names in the rosters of the races. Bill Rodgers, who won the boston Marathon, was the first "big name" runner to ever come here; and literally put the Bix on the map as a place ofr elite runners to come to.

Joan Benoit-Samuleson was the first "big name" female runner to come here and helped it become a Mecca for female runners.

They have each won the Bix. Bill twice, JBS 4-times. JBS has run it pregnant too. Rodgers' nickname around here is Bix Billy. And because of the awarness those two spread about a race that started in 1975 with 84 runners, to over 20,000, they have been immortalized in bronze.

Overhead view of the Brady Street Hill climb

"The Swarm" is what we call the ascention of Brady Street Hill

This is also a very family friendly weekend too. If you have kids that run they have a Jr. Bix, The Quick Bix, etc. Check it y'all. I won't run, but I'll root ya on.

*edit note- I took that really big one out rrmb. It was blowing up the thread. SB
    Last edited by seenbad; 01.21.05 at 08:52 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Dude, I got all kinds of respect for you sumbitches. I tried to run up to the store (about 400 yards) yesterday and damn near had to be brought in for treatment. lol.

Seriously though, I played full court basketball last week for about an hour and it was like I had this living animal trying to get out of my chest. It was my heart. I was not well. I am not in good shape. I'm still sore.

Yeahhhh. I'm slowly working up to 26 miles myself. *ahem*.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the info on the Bix 7, RRMB. I just might have to head up there this summer. I'm planning to do the St. Louis Marathon 5K Run in April, so I'll probably progress to 11+K (or whatever 7 miles comes out to be) by late July.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRoberts
    Thanks for the info on the Bix 7, RRMB. I just might have to head up there this summer. I'm planning to do the St. Louis Marathon 5K Run in April, so I'll probably progress to 11+K (or whatever 7 miles comes out to be) by late July.

The toughest part isn't the 6-9% grade you climb at the very start of the race. But your legs are fresh and strong, so as long as you don't try to sprint up "The Hill" and take your time, you'll make up your split times after the first 3/4 mile. Matter of fact the rest of the first half is mostly down hill.

There is one major incline after "The Hill," that starts with a real gradual 3-4% grade, then it jutts into a sharp, approximately 12% grade at about the 3 mile mark.

The topo map makes it easy to find. You have a 6% grade drop, the a flat mile or so until you get to "The Bitch." (as I call it) It will kill your calves.

Just find yourself a nice steady pace after you crest the top of Brady Street Hill and you'll cruise the rest of the first 3.5 miles, minus "The Bitch." After you top that you gradually decend on a 4% grade to the turn around.

The way back you are going up hill. Literally retracing your footsteps and that's when the tough part of the race is. You'll be going back on the exact same roads you went down; just on the opposite side of the street.

All the nice gradual downhill becomes gradual uphill, untill you hit Brady Street again. "The Hill" is the toughest part of the race now, because your legs are fatigued a little, the finish is within your grasp, and you're going BACK DOWN "The Hill." Which has caused many runners to get rubber-legged and tumble down it. You get to the bottom, go a couple blocks and head for the finish line.

The big thing about this race is the community. There will be people you never met before in your life, sitting along thecourse cheering you along, giving you water, candy, splashing you with a garden hose, hanging from a tree, etc. A lot of people on the course have big ol bashes. You could probably score a beer if you're lucky. The people are the best part of the race. They love it and want people to come back and party every year.

If you do the race, you'll have to let me know in advance, I'll try and get the day off and my wife and I will come up and hang out with you later after you recover.

Be a cool way to get VHLinks people together too. Justa thought.

note to seenbad: not a problem, when I pasted the url, it was half that size, don't know why it did that?!?
    Last edited by RRMB; 01.21.05 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Cuz I can't speel fer shitt
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmac
    And when you do run the Rock & Roll Marathon here next year, I'll be sippin' beers in the shade, cheerin' you on!

Good luck!
    No way, timmac. I'll be swiggin with you. After I do this one in June, that's it. No mas.

I have a long, complicated reason for that, but the short version is, I'm doing this thing to exorcise some old demons. I ran track and cross country at UNL (was actually a scholarship athlete), but I didn't leave the sport on good terms, so I hope to come to terms with that. This is weird stuff only idiot distance runners like me really understand, anyway.

Oh! Training update! I bought an MP3 player tonight. As long as I'll be trekking out in the desert for endless kilometers, might as well carry Eddie, Alex, Mikey, Sammy and Dave with me (and even one Gary).

Thanks for all the supportive words, guys! I'll keep this thread updated once a week or so.

MikeL -- Your triathlon story was hilarious! Good stuff.
    Last edited by te5150; 01.22.05 at 12:05 AM.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

You badass bunch of bastards! I was in track in college, but the most running I did was the approach to the Long Jump. That was enough hard running for my ass. My favorite had to the the 10 step approach for the high jump though.
    Last edited by Viking; 01.22.05 at 01:28 AM.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unless it's a pie eatin contest ..it ain't worth it

Nah, wish I could get myself psyched up to do something like that...I have a friend who runs marathon's and he looks great, he's lost so much weight he looks nothing like he used to.

Baluchitherium Leo Van Newhouse's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.13 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool you're doing it TE. Now that you got a MP3 player, find the song "Hard Climb" by Jetboy. That's a good running song. Keep us posted
    THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT : Representing DAVID LEE ROTH in all his glory!!!!!!!!!

JH: "How was your New Years Eve show at the House Of Blues?"
    DLR: "James...I AM New Years Eve!"

"To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding?" David Lee Roth

"I'm gonna want to rock out w/ my cock out instead of playing anal taper dork." Colonel Sanders

ANOTHER HOSTILE TAKEOVER COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!