Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Dave Roth's "Open Letter" Question...

I tried doing a forum search on this, yet old "fumble-fingers" (yup, I'm a chef ) could not come up with anything, so...

Do any of you folk have a copy or link to the "Open Letter" ad Dave Roth took out in the trades about the time of the MTV Awards fiasco?
    It is alluded to in Dave's book (Crazy From The Heat), yet never quoted, and I thought it would be an interesting read.

Honestly, I ain't trying to stir up crap with this, it solely is for my own curiosity.

Thank you in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this.

Sincerely,
    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

I feeling like flinging some shit before I leave work for the night, so here goes: Don't waste your time trying to find it, it's merely Dave's attempt at trying to rationalize being told to hit the road yet again...Actually, it is entertaining in a Dave sort of way. I'm sure some Roth worshiper has it framed somewhere and would be more than willing to post it. Good night, boys and girls. See you tomorrow...Shaboom!

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Open Letter From David Lee Roth

October 2, 1996

To whom this may concern,

You've probably heard rumors that Van Halen and I will not be consummating our highly publicized reunion. And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip, I would like to go on record with the following: Eddie did it.

It's no secret, nor am I ashamed of my unbashed rapture at the prospect of resurrecting the original Van Halen. A "couple of songs" was all I knew for sure when Edward and I got together three months ago to write them. At that time, the band tip-toed around me sprinkling sentiments like, "this isn't sure thing, Dave: this doesn't mean anything long term, Dave; we're still auditioning other singers, Dave." I was cool. I was happy. I was in the moment.

The next thing I knew, the four of us are doing surprise walk-on at the MTV Awards. I told Edward at that time that I didn't think it was a good idea for the band to go to New York half-cocked; and that I didn't want to Imply by our presence that we were "back" if in fact it was just a quickle for old time's sake.

Well ain't hind sight always 20/20...Had I asked for something in writing, this wouldn't have happened. Had I acknowledged the occasional icy grip in my stomach, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But I didn't. Like I said--rapture. And, I love these guys. Do I trust them? That question never entered my mind.

Then, a series of events last week led me to discover at about the same time the press did, that the band, along with their manager, had already hired another lead singer, possibly as long as three months ago. I wonder how he felt the night of the MTV Awards. It certainly explains why on that night Edward looked as uncomfortable as a man who just signed a deal with The Devil. I can't think of a reason Edward would lie to me about being considered for the lead singer when he had already hired someone, and then let me appear on MTV under the impression that there was great likelihood that Van Halen and I were reuniting. As I said, I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't want to do the MTV gig as a band unless we were in fact, a band.

And so I apologize to my fans and my supporters, and to MTV. I was an unwitting participant in this deception. It sickens me that the "reunion" as seen on MTV was nothing more than a publicity stunt. If I am guilty of anything, I'm guilty of denial. I wanted to believe it just as much as anyone else. Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.

http://www.vhnd.net/archive/1096.shtml
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

October 2, 1996

To whom this may concern,

You've probably heard rumors that Van Halen and I will not be consummating our highly publicized reunion. And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip, I would like to go on record with the following: Eddie did it.

It's no secret, nor am I ashamed of my unbashed rapture at the prospect of resurrecting the original Van Halen. A "couple of songs" was all I knew for sure when Edward and I got together three months ago to write them. At that time, the band tip-toed around me sprinkling sentiments like, "this isn't sure thing, Dave: this doesn't mean anything long term, Dave; we're still auditioning other singers, Dave." I was cool. I was happy. I was in the moment.

The next thing I knew, the four of us are doing surprise walk-on at the MTV Awards. I told Edward at that time that I didn't think it was a good idea for the band to go to New York half-cocked; and that I didn't want to Imply by our presence that we were "back" if in fact it was just a quickle for old time's sake.

Well ain't hind sight always 20/20...Had I asked for something in writing, this wouldn't have happened. Had I acknowledged the occasional icy grip in my stomach, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But I didn't. Like I said--rapture. And, I love these guys. Do I trust them? That question never entered my mind.

Then, a series of events last week led me to discover at about the same time the press did, that the band, along with their manager, had already hired another lead singer, possibly as long as three months ago. I wonder how he felt the night of the MTV Awards. It certainly explains why on that night Edward looked as uncomfortable as a man who just signed a deal with The Devil. I can't think of a reason Edward would lie to me about being considered for the lead singer when he had already hired someone, and then let me appear on MTV under the impression that there was great likelihood that Van Halen and I were reuniting. As I said, I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't want to do the MTV gig as a band unless we were in fact, a band.

And so I apologize to my fans and my supporters, and to MTV. I was an unwitting participant in this deception. It sickens me that the "reunion" as seen on MTV was nothing more than a publicity stunt. If I am guilty of anything, I'm guilty of denial. I wanted to believe it just as much as anyone else. Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.

I found this at the VHND.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I never knew that this even existed. Thanks for posting it. It doesn't sound how Dave would write(his PR guy maybe?), but I do believe there is great truth in the content.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There was also a letter written by an executive manager at Warner Bros which was in response to Dave's "open letter" about the failed reunion back in 1996. Basically, he explains the situation from an impartial mediator's point of view that he knows for well from his position that Eddie, Alex and Mike didn't have nor had hired a lead singer while Dave was recording with them for the BOVI and in fact the band had ran a few names by him including Dave's "to get a spin on what the temperature may be". His purpose of that letter was reassure Dave that he and many fans didn't want him to "burn a bridge again" with Van Halen.

The letter is printed off in the VH Encyclopedia. I couldn't find a transcript of it online.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Cool good info once again...thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The rest of the band also published a reply to Dave's open letter, but I don't remember where it appeared. I've always thought that the actual turn of events was somewhere between each sides version. I was really disappointed when it all went down, especially after I heard the two new songs on BOVI. There were a lot of people that didn't like those songs, but I really did, and thought they could've made a great album had they gotten back together.
    DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rovus
    There was also a letter written by an executive manager at Warner Bros which was in response to Dave's "open letter" about the failed reunion back in 1996. Basically, he explains the situation from an impartial mediator's point of view that he knows for well from his position that Eddie, Alex and Mike didn't have nor had hired a lead singer while Dave was recording with them for the BOVI and in fact the band had ran a few names by him including Dave's "to get a spin on what the temperature may be". His purpose of that letter was reassure Dave that he and many fans didn't want him to "burn a bridge again" with Van Halen.

The letter is printed off in the VH Encyclopedia. I couldn't find a transcript of it online.
    This letter was written by Tommy Nast, who is a radio host not a WB exec. He considers himself a friend to VH, Dave and Sam so he wrote an impartial feeling on the situation. We know that Mitch Malloy was offered the gig before Cherone so he was probably the guy Dave was referring to

Apparently, MTV threatened VH and WB if VH did not do the awards show. MTV said they would not play any WB artists if VH did not appear. Originally, MTV wanted them to perform and VH refused since Dave was not "in" the band at the time. They compromised as an award presenter. Whats funny is if you watch it, they are announced as Eddie, Alex and Michael- Van Halen. Dave just walks out with them. I'm sure this was requested by the band. So, Dave was never announced as being back in the band.

However, it was a bad idea and it backfired as it definately gave the impression Dave was back. They should have called MTV's bluff.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Halen
    And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip, I would like to go on record with the following: Eddie did it.

Every time I read that, I find it funny -- not because I disagree with it (I don't), but because of the way he phrased it. Classic Dave.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I remember reading an EVH interview where Ed said he didn't want to do the awards show, but WB pushed for it hard, and he missed Wolfie's first day of school as a result.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 20 Posts

That's Eddie's attempt at getting sympathy. Whenever there's a little something goes on he doesn't want to seem like the bad guy. So it's either his hip, missing first day of school and so on. How many other first days has he missed because of the drunken stupor he's been in since 99.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chain
    I feeling like flinging some shit before I leave work for the night, so here goes: Don't waste your time trying to find it, it's merely Dave's attempt at trying to rationalize being told to hit the road yet again...Actually, it is entertaining in a Dave sort of way. I'm sure some Roth worshiper has it framed somewhere and would be more than willing to post it. Good night, boys and girls. See you tomorrow...Shaboom!
    At least you were honest and admitted that you were going to fling shit you Hagar loving fag.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mama's Fool
    ...because of the drunken stupor he's been in since 99.
    1999?? Try 1979...or earlier.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    At least you were honest and admitted that you were going to fling shit you Hagar loving fag.
    Dude, chill.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook