OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 857 Times in 457 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hamnerhead View Post
    I can honestly tell you that that's not true. I mean, the entire comic book industry is currently in trouble in the same way that all businesses are in trouble in a global pandemic. Comic book stores are closed; Diamond (the only distributor for comic book stores) is not shipping books to retailers, nor are they paying the publishers; the main printers are shut down, and many publishers have paused production for a couple of months (at least); all of them have their staffs working from home (freelancers like me already mostly work from home anyway). Marvel is still running, but "paused" a third of their line last Friday (I lost a cover gig because of it, hopefully only temporarily). DC is the only one who seems to plugging along with little-to-no work stoppage. Worst I've heard is that it's going to be harder to get new projects approved for the duration, but ongoing projects in the pipe are unabated.

But even before that, I sincerely doubt that Disney would've been able to buy DC, mainly because I don't think it would be for sale. The DC characters are a major reason why AT&T bought Time Warner because the licensing is enormous. You can think what you want about the comics or the movies, but so much revenue is generated by apparel, video games, toys, etc., that those characters are worth a lot of money. I doubt AT&T would turn around and sell those characters because publishing makes comparitively less money for them. But you also have to look at it like this: DC Comics is *super-cheap* R&D for their larger media reach the same way Marvel is for Disney. Comics don't cost anywhere near what TV and films do to make, but they generate endless library content translateable into other media. DC saves them a lot of development time when you can just grab a storyline from the comics.

Now, I suppose it's possible that AT&T could shrink DC Comics' footprint or fold them into another part of the company. It's possible, but not currently likely. Believe it or not, DC Comics on its own is actually profitable for Warner, and profits were up last year. That's a fact. That can always change, especially given the economic rollercoaster we're only starting on (and Disney is in that same boat with everyone else, trust me). But I doubt they'd sell any of their assets to Disney.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. That's great news! I wish people would not start false rumours online. I am happy Disney isn't buying DC. I am tired of Disney buying other companies & creations of other people.

That's a great point that comics are much cheaper to create than T.V. or movies. I bought a bunch of DC Graphic novels right before this Covid-19 crisis hit, so i've been busy reading them.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Today @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 5,123 Times in 3,336 Posts

Donor

I am, and have always been, a Batman guy. Always love the chance to draw him and really any of the icon characters. I dig Daredevil. But really, I get more enjoyment out of making up or designing characters than anything.
    Which Bat story arcs did you work on? Any Nightwing work?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 654 Times in 231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Which Bat story arcs did you work on? Any Nightwing work?
    Oh, geez, over almost 30 years? Let's see: Batman Chronicles, Robin, Batman: Tenses; Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, Batman and the Signal, Batman Beyond, plus a bunch of stuff that included Batman as a character but weren't necessarily a Bat-title. I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten. Also, tons of covers-- on my table right now are two upcoming covers: a Justice League with Batman as the main character; and a Batman and the Outsiders.

I like Nightwing, but haven't touched the character much. Drew him in a Titans issue once, and I think also a short story. I redesigned him back during New 52.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

05.25.20 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 181 Posts

Premium Member

Great to get some insight from the inside, Hamnerhead.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

05.25.20 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 181 Posts

Premium Member

Just went through a box of comics yesterday, and re-found some Robotech comics from the 80s and 90s, most of it from The Sentinels books from Eternity Comics. Not only was I a big fan of the show as a kid, but I also liked the black-and-white indy style of those Eternity-produced comics.
    Not sure if anybody here was/is into Robotech?
    1689281.jpg

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Oh, geez, over almost 30 years? Let's see: Batman Chronicles, Robin, Batman: Tenses; Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, Batman and the Signal, Batman Beyond, plus a bunch of stuff that included Batman as a character but weren't necessarily a Bat-title. I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten. Also, tons of covers-- on my table right now are two upcoming covers: a Justice League with Batman as the main character; and a Batman and the Outsiders.

I like Nightwing, but haven't touched the character much. Drew him in a Titans issue once, and I think also a short story. I redesigned him back during New 52.
    You were the one who put the red suit 52 on dick?

And you drew the initial run of Robin?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

05.29.20 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 654 Times in 231 Posts

You were the one who put the red suit 52 on dick?
    Yeah, but it's not quite that simple. The editorial note I was getting at the time for everything we were doing was to try for a radical change whereever possible. Now, the Nightwing costume design they had been using since the Dixon/McDaniel run was originally designed by my studiomate at the time, Brian Stelfreeze, and I thought it was perfect the way it was. I didn't want to disrespect it. So what I handed in was still essentially that costume, just with more details added-- the shoulders and chest were still the same blue. Editorial didn't think it was different enough. So, in order to preserve the lines of the costiume that Stelfreeze created, I suggested simply switching the blue to red, and they went for it-- in black-and-white, it's the same costume. TBH, I figured it wouldn't be permanent, and I was right.

And you drew the initial run of Robin?
    No, the initial run of Robin was drawn by Tom Lyle (who, sadly, passed away last year). I did a couple of issues in the late '90s, and also was the cover artist for about a year.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Yeah, but it's not quite that simple. The editorial note I was getting at the time for everything we were doing was to try for a radical change whereever possible. Now, the Nightwing costume design they had been using since the Dixon/McDaniel run was originally designed by my studiomate at the time, Brian Stelfreeze, and I thought it was perfect the way it was. I didn't want to disrespect it. So what I handed in was still essentially that costume, just with more details added-- the shoulders and chest were still the same blue. Editorial didn't think it was different enough. So, in order to preserve the lines of the costiume that Stelfreeze created, I suggested simply switching the blue to red, and they went for it-- in black-and-white, it's the same costume. TBH, I figured it wouldn't be permanent, and I was right.
    LOL. Totally agree. The red didn't suit NW, and it was redundant with Robin, Red Robin, and Red Hood. Not that that was your deal, obviously. I just thought with a hero named NIGHTwing, maybe red wasn't the best choice. But to be fair, I had a lot of issues with the new 52. It's what got me to stop reading DC, unfortunately. I found a total rewrite of canon off putting, to say the least.

I was looking forward to the possible DCEU movie version of Nightwing. Kinda thought Scott Eastwood was a good choice, if he knows how to be a funny guy too.

I loved that initial run of Robin. Collected that in undergraduate school. The whole training of Drake and King Snake...solid stuff.

I was a big fan of the McDaniel/Dixon Nightwing run. Dick Grayson is undoubtedly my favorite DC character.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 04.13.20 at 04:27 PM.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Today @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 12,946 Times in 7,232 Posts

Premium Member

The upcoming DC event Dark Nights: Death Metal isn't just a sequel to Metal, but will also "sort out" DC's continuity according to series writer Scott Snyder.

"That’s the idea - The purpose of the whole story is to sort out continuity and the universe and give you something fun bright and coherent on the other side," Snyder tweeted in reply to a fan question.

Originally solicited to come out May 13, the effects of the coronavirus pandemic have put Dark Nights: Death Metal #1's release date off into "to be determined" territory.

https://www.newsarama.com/49824-dark...rwxhLqVJ8hFLMI

God help us.

Last Online

Premium Member

New releases begin again next week. Until then...

Picked this up on ComiXology (digital) today without blinking an eye. The Batman stories and artists I remember most from my childhood.

Tales of the Batman: Steve Englehart (452 pages)

In these moody tales from the 1970s, Batman faces his own lonely existence while struggling against one of his earliest foes, Dr. Hugo Strange. This run also includes the renowned “Joker Fish” story line, in which the Clown Prince of Crime comes up with his most off-the-wall scheme ever, along with the 2005 miniseries in which The Joker runs for office with the slogan “Vote for me or I’ll kill you!” Collects Detective Comics #439 and #469-476, Batman #311, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #109-111, Legends of the DC Universe #26-27, Batman: Dark Detective #1-6, and a story from Batman Chronicles #19.

I want this. Probably corny as hell, but like above... the stories I remember reading as a kid and teen. A 912 page hardcover omnibus... Oof!

Should I do it?... should I do it?... I'm gonna do it!

Robin: The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1

The 1970s stories of Batman’s sidekick Robin, now college age, are collected for the very first time! In these stories, Robin has moved out from the shadow of Batman to attend college, where he continues to battle crime. Collecting dozens of stories in which Robin deals with bullying, motorcycle gangs, campus protests and much more. Collects BATMAN #192, #202, #213, #227, #229-231, #234-236, #239, #240-242, #244, #245, #248-250, #252, #254, #259, #333, #337-339 and #341-343; DETECTIVE COMICS #390-391, #394, #395, #398-403, #445, #447, #450, #451 and #481-495; BATMAN FAMILY #1, #3-9 and #11-20; WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #200 and DC COMICS PRESENTS #31 and #58.
    Last edited by Number 47; 04.29.20 at 04:43 AM.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Thumbs up

This is a great documentary on Bill Finger, the co-creator of Batman. Bill even designed Batman's costume! Bob Kane always took the full credit of creating Batman when he was alive. Thankfully Bill's granddaughter is now able to see Bill get co-creator credits, and she got some $ as well.

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, watched it a while back.

Finger got the shaft for a very long time... his entire life actually.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Yeah, watched it a while back.

Finger got the shaft for a very long time... his entire life actually.
    Yeah this drawing shows how much Bill Finger created compared to Bob Kane!

-- John Entwistle

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Thumbs up

Top Cow released a ton of FREE comics online for Free Comic Book Day! Most of them are Number 1 issues. I downloaded a bunch of them.

Here is the link........

https://topcow.com/comics/free-2/?fb...6jXp9eyJLVTDwI

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Liked 2,569 Times in 1,540 Posts

No, the initial run of Robin was drawn by Tom Lyle (who, sadly, passed away last year). I did a couple of issues in the late '90s, and also was the cover artist for about a year.

great stuff. thanks. I'm trying to figure out who you are...lol

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: