Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny Van Halen Moments

One thing I really like about VH is that they have always seemed to have a good down to earth sense of humor, whether with Roth or Hagar (Cherone era was a little gloomy but go figure) ... anyway, does anyone have any funny VH moments they would like to share or discuss so that we can laugh and enjoy?
    Here's 2 for you all from memory .... While watching the Lousville, KY show from last year's tour, Sammy was going through the whole "Turn your clocks back" hyped up song intro for 'It's About Time' ... all the while the helicopter intro for 'Up For Breakfast' was playing. Sammy turned around at just the right moment and saw Eddie standing behind him with his Red + White Charvel on and was like "OOOPS!" ... and he said "Here's a new song for you, it's called Up For Breakfast!" Alex and Eddie heard him and saw the pending screw up that was saved at the last minute. Alex was laughing so hard he could barely keep time. Sammy stood with one foot on Alex's drum kit and the two of them laughed there asses off for about 1/2 of the song. It was hysterical. Unfortunately, about 75% of the crowd was so 'switched off' that they didn't notice the 'near' mistake. I did, and it was really funny.
    My last story is when I saw them in Hershey, PA ... I had 5 star tickets. At sound check, one guy asked Eddie how his hip was. Eddie replied with a smile "Fine. A lot better than yours ... mine's made out of titanium. Everyone laughed ... then Eddie treated us with a shower of clear green guitar picks. Awesome....
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another Ed at soundcheck story...We we're hanging up near Ed when he fired up a smoke..he was doing the 'toss the cigarette into his mouth trick' and got his big cheesy grin.So,my buddy Dave does the old Tommy Lee cigarette between his chin and bottom lip thing,and Ed just stared at him like...'What the F$@# are you doin'?"..Ed tries it and can't do it..then says "Here...try this.." and puts his smoke between his ass cheeks..We were dyin'.He gave us a bunch of pics,too...say what they will about Ed,he's still the king!
    "He gives good kids bad ideas" - Ed Rooney

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I think this is more of a blooper, but it's funny. On the "III" tour in Dallas,
    Eddie came out wearing the tank top/slacks combo. They have the big jumbotron behind them that is doing a close up of his fretwork throughout the show. Sometime before the guitar solo, as the camera is zooming in on his hands, we all notice his fly is freaking all the way open and stretched out. Everyone noticed it on the screen. People were trying to get his attention, but he ignored them. Finally, someone got his attention during a quiet moment in his solo block and he looks down, realizes he's unzipped, and puts his guitar in front of his pants and zips up with that chesire cat grin he's got and said "oops!" He probably pulled every chick in the joint that night!
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

This isn't really VH, but I saw Sammy solo in Vegas once and a guy got past the security and up on stage. Sammy jumps back and goes, "Oh shit, I thought he was gonna try and grab my dick." After that Sammy said a few words to him then sent the guy to join the onstage audience as the security guys walked off the stage looking really mad.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

At the OK City show last year, Eddie was at the entrance of our Golden Ring. He was doing pull-ups on the bottom of the entrance opening with a cigarette hanging out his mouth.

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    Eddie came out wearing the tank top/slacks combo. They have the big jumbotron behind them that is doing a close up of his fretwork throughout the show. Sometime before the guitar solo, as the camera is zooming in on his hands, we all notice his fly is freaking all the way open and stretched out. Everyone noticed it on the screen. People were trying to get his attention, but he ignored them. Finally, someone got his attention during a quiet moment in his solo block and he looks down, realizes he's unzipped, and puts his guitar in front of his pants and zips up with that chesire cat grin he's got and said "oops!" He probably pulled every chick in the joint that night!
    All of us wanna know: boxers or briefs?
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    Ahh, remember this moment like it was yesterday.

HH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

I remember on the 1st show of the 5150 tour. Started here in Shreveport, and the electricity in the air, was intense.

Once the doors opened into the Hirsh Col., 11,000 rush onto the floor. Back then, there was no reserve floor seating. There were so many people fighting for the front row, that the baracade wall collapsed, and the crowd PUSHED, the stage back 6-8 feet.

The show was an hour late getting started, because the crew had to move the stage back, pick shit up that got knocked over durning the move, and had to reset the lighting rigs and spotlight cans.

Once VH took the stage, they did a couple of songs. The crowd was cheering so fookin loud, that it was starting to drown out the music. Sammy and the band just stood there for a few minutes trying to soak it all in. Finally, Ed came up to the microphone, got the crowd to settle a bit, and said these words, " I've always loved fucking Shreveport Louisiana.....Yea!!!!!" Then gave the thumbs up sign!!!! Roof came off the place then....

Lots of laughter on stage, and then Sammy said, "God-damn, I hope the rest of this tour has fans like you guys..." Again, the roof came off the place.

I've been to a shit load of VH shows from way back durning Fair Warning, but the 1st 5150 show, was by far, one of the most memorable!

HH <-----------sitting with a huge smile thinking about that show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

There are a lot, especially for anyone who saw the Louisville 04 show, but my favorite funny moment is from LWAN. When Ed is playing the intro to WCTBL, the face he makes at the camera is priceless(he gets closer and closer. Once this girl on the internet asked my friend Wes is she could see his penis. He sent her that screen capture of Ed's face entitled Peeny.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 more things I remembered from Lousville 2004 ...
    1. Sammy tried to pull Eddie's hair tie out of his hair at some point in the show, without Eddie knowing Sammy was going to do it. When Sammy yanked on it, it got tangled up REALLY bad in Ed's hair. Eddie then proceded to try and take it all the way out in mid song (don't remember which song they were jamming). He had both hands off the guitar and he was trying really hard to get it untangled. The guitar was clunking around and feeding back but Eddie was like "dammit, I'm gettin' this thing outta' my hair" ... anyway, Eddie finally gets it out and there's a close up of him on the jumbo tron ... it showed his hair tie and it had a huge clump of hair hanging out of it. Ed just tossed it on the stage and proceeded to jam. The Mikey, Sam and Ed had a good laugh about that, as did the rest of us watching.

2. I don't think the band was quite used the "rings" on the sides of the stage at the time of the Lousiville show ... at one point in the show Eddie spit out his cigarette and it landed in the ring on top of some dudes head. Eddie then realized that he just spit his cigarette on a fan and made a sheepish grin and shrug of the shoulders in the direction of the ring that he spat his cigarette in. He was apologetic, but you could tell he thought it was funny.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time I met Ed and the band was 10/22/86. Backstage, I see Ed and we're wearing the same damn Gumby shirt. I call over to him and he spots me right away. Someone has a pic of the 2 of us in the same shirt drinking Moosehead beer. Cool time and cool dude. Very generous of his time with me. I can never speak wrong of the man.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhslilhottie
    All of us wanna know: boxers or briefs?
    LOL! To tell you the truth, I don't really know. I think his tank top was so long and was tucked in that it was all you could see. I'm just glad he wasn't going commando!

Sorry to let you down on that one!

Hurricane? Do you know?
    Last edited by mk5; 01.20.05 at 07:45 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Last Online

01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

K, I have another story from Louisville:

During the breakdown in "Panama", Sam gave the mic to a guy in the audience. Either he was in a huge state of shock or he wasn't a real VH fan because he didn't know the words! He was just looking at Sam in shell-shock! Then, Sammy fell over laughing and then gave the mic to another guy. He knew the words a little better, he got "Yeah, we're running a little bit hot tonight" and then he skipped to "Reach down, between my legs..." and then the whole band just bursted out laughing!
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a New Jersey bootleg...
    During Panama Sam sings "Model citizen", he then gives the mic to Mikey and Mikey sings "Runnin' through my bedroom". Sam looks at him and says "Zero disiplin Mike!", Mikey in turn screams into the mic and says "I don't know the fucking words to this song!"

That is a riot
    Last edited by Red-Diamond; 01.20.05 at 07:59 AM.

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Diamond
    I have a New Jersey bootleg...
    During Panama Sam sings "Model citizen", he then gives the mic to Mikey and Mikey sings "Runnin' through my bedroom". Sam looks at him and says "Zero disiplin Mike!", Mikey in turn screams into the mic and says "I don't know the fucking words to this song!"

That is a riot
    I have that boot! I love that, Mike looks so goofy, then like two seconds later during the chorus he scratches his head

Evhslilhottie, thats exactly what I was talkin bout in my first post.... gotta love that show. It was also funny when the guy in the rings took off his prosthetic leg and had Sam autograph it on stage
    Last edited by Infinite Cactus; 01.21.05 at 08:42 PM.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade