Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Help/Advice on Guitars With 'Set Necks'

I'm looking for a decent guitar with a set neck (not a bolt on), double cut away, that is either mahogany or mahogany/maple in the $500-700 price range. This would complement my Strat and 5150 replica. I don't want a floyd, a stop tail. I like the looks of some of the PRS SEs but the necks are too fat (like the Epiphone LP I have). Anyone have some suggestions on thing like Hamers, ESPs, etc.,? Maybe I just go for a used PRS SE and shave the neck down. I've thought of that, too.

Thanks
    Chris

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 571 Posts

PRS are good guitars, when it comes to my pete townshend impression!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can understand the mahogany body, but I'm curious as to why you only want a set neck. Is it for looks?
    You understand that bolt ons sound just as good, and have the exact same sustain characteristics? If it's for tone or sustain you have to realize that's only an old urban legend.
    You'll have a lot more variety in what you can put on it if you can experiment with different necks.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tribb
    I can understand the mahogany body, but I'm curious as to why you only want a set neck. Is it for looks?
    You understand that bolt ons sound just as good, and have the exact same sustain characteristics? If it's for tone or sustain you have to realize that's only an old urban legend.
    You'll have a lot more variety in what you can put on it if you can experiment with different necks.
    Really? My understanding is that the bolt ons did not sustain as well. Didn't Ed put a Fernandes sustainer in the neck PU spot because of this?? Maybe I should just build one from Warmoth then. Tribb, any mahogany or m/maple guitars out there you like??

Chris
    Last edited by nast2112; 01.19.05 at 02:40 PM.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanZeppelin667
    PRS are good guitars, when it comes to my pete townshend impression!
    I take it you do not like them? I would be curious as to why. They seem to play easier than LPs. Maybe it's the scale length?

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how about neck through. Jackson is good for neck throughs, and esp has some set necks as well.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The reason Ed wants the sustainer is 2 fold. First, he really likes long sustain for solos etc., weird noises. The second is that the Floyd is a tinny non/sustaining device. Your hardtail will have much better sustain than a Floyd, and if you really want to go big, do it as a string thru.

I bought a USACustoms Guitar mahogany strat body, with a string thru bridge. Sustain for days.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112
    Really? My understanding is that the bolt ons did not sustain as well. Didn't Ed put a Fernandes sustainer in the neck PU spot because of this?? Maybe I should just build one from Warmoth then. Tribb, any mahogany or m/maple guitars out there you like??

Chris
    Bolt on guitars sustain just as well, and in a lot of cases better.
    Some guys believe the tone is better in a set neck, but in a set neck there's glue contact between the wood, where in a bolt on it's just wood to wood contact. Some players like set necks because they might feel it's easier to move your hand and play up in the higher registers because the heel on set necks tend to be smaller or sometimes non-existant.
    There's certainly nothing wrong with set neck guitars, other than they're harder to refret and impossible to change if you decide you want a different neck. Soundwise, I've never found them to be better or worse. Some players just like the look, so I guess that's a major factor.
    Warmoth makes very good guitars, as do a no. of other makers of bodies and necks. the thing I like about Warmoth is that if you specify you want a light, medium, or heavy peice of wood, that's what you'll get.
    It's more of the wood combinations and the types of pickups you use with those combinations. Ask yourself what type of sound you're actually going for, and then decide what kind of guitar you want to build. Is it versatility you want or do you just want to shred. If you just want to sound like Ed, then any wood will do. Get a high output pickup, together with an amp that's pushing gain out the ass and since it's a one dimensional sound you'll have all the gain that Ed has. You still won't sound like him cause he can play a strat through a fender princeton and still sound the same but people don't want to hear that.

I like fairly lightweight mahogany and alder bodies, but that's only because of the sounds that I like to hear from the instrument. The neck is another matter. I try to match the pickups with the wood, but again that's only for my ear. Other players may feel it's the wrong combination for their own taste.
    If you want to use a sustainer strictly for the sustain then you might want to ask yourself if you're happy with your amp.
    While a hardtail, where the string ends are connected to the back of the body might have a different tone than a real floyd, I've never found a real floyd to sound tinny or non sustaining. That's like saying all Les Pauls sound the same, and that's definitely not even close to being the case. My mahogany bodied guitar has a floyd resting on the body and with the right amp it sustains pretty much till I stop it, and it's very full sounding.
    I don't really like off the shelf guitars. When you have one custom made or you put one together yourself you have a say about every aspect of it and you don't have to comprimise. That way you might have to experiment with p/u's but you have a good instrument, based on your tonal likes and dislikes to begin with.
    Last edited by tribb; 01.20.05 at 01:18 PM.