Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

"Save Metallica" Petition Online

"Save METALLICA" Petition Calls For Split With Longtime Producer BOB ROCK - Jan. 18, 2005
    Source: Blabbermouth

Several "longtime loyal" fans of METALLICA have launched a petition to force a split between METALLICA and producer Bob Rock on the grounds that his "contributions" to the group's songwriting/recording process are "quite wrong and have been getting worse as time goes on." An open letter to METALLICA from the petitioners reads as follows:

"We, the longtime loyal fans and friends of METALLICA and their music, would like to see a major change with the upcoming album. I know it will be a hard thing to do, but we feel it is time to sever your working relationship with Bob Rock.

"Don't get us wrong, some of us like a few (very few) contributions Bob Rock has made to METALLICA. Unfortunately one thing we can all agree on is nothing has been the same since he joined the ranks as longtime METALLICA producer. We are not criticizing Bob Rock on his technical skills as he has mastered his sound. We just feel that his contributions to help craft a METALLICA song are quite wrong and have been getting worse as time goes on.

"From 'Kill 'Em All' through '…And Justice For All', the albums are timeless and we can listen to them over and over. Although Bob Rock's first producing effort with METALLICA, 'The Black Album', may have sold the most copies worldwide, it doesn't mean the album is the most musically pleasing. As much as we support METALLICA, most of us listen to the first few albums much more. The songs were simple and overproduced.

"'Load' and 'Reload' were examples of not having any control. The music was all over the place and Bob Rock went with the same sound plan as he has done for all of METALLICA's albums. We heard this sound yet again on the first disc of 'Garage Inc.' We have watched the videos of Bob Rock telling METALLICA horrible suggestions in the studios while we cringe knowing it is the wrong decision. Keep in mind, Bob Rock was in a band or two himself when he was younger. The reason no one knows this is because his bands failed because he cannot craft a good song let alone a help craft a good METALLICA song.

"Then we are left with 'St. Anger'. It is completely unlistenable and this is the album that Bob Rock had most of his influence. Not only in production but the songs are all a mess as well. Every song could be cut down by about 3-5 minutes simply by cutting out most of the repetition. Bob Rock didn't realize that repetition of one riff over and over for 10 minutes doesn't make a song a pleasingly structured song. The sound, as everyone can agree, did not break any musical barriers, it just made the album worse. Even Bob Rock can do better than this.

"We understand and appreciate the time and effort Bob Rock has put into METALLICA. By your own admission, you state METALLICA is a hard band to work with. We appreciate him being there to keep the band together at a personal low point of their career to help them carry on as a four-piece. But we feel the day has come.

"We are excited to hear the next studio album with the addition of masterful bassist Robert Trujillo. We hope it breathes new songwriting life into the band. All we ask is you take our suggestion seriously for the sake of the band and your fans. Please end your working relationship with Bob Rock as producer and let's enter into a new phase for METALLICA."

To view and/or sign the petition, click here.
    Last edited by FH; 01.19.05 at 03:37 AM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:01 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

I can only hope that Metallica gets/uses the same song writer that Ashlee Simpson, uses!

Hit that fucking iceberg, and sink!!!!!!!!!

HH <--------Yep, you got it, I hate LARS!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't think Bob Rock is the biggest problem with Metallica these days but a change would probably do them both some good. Who would be good to produce them? After seeing Some Kind Of Monster, I'm certain they couldn't produce themselves, so they need to get somebody. They have supposedly been working on songs and riffs during soundchecks, so I'd like to see them get the songs together, worked out and rehearsed before they enter the studio because the biggest problem for me with St Anger is not the sound of the album (although the drum sound is hard to deal with). My biggest problem is the lack of focus to the songs.
    Last edited by DreamIsOver; 01.19.05 at 04:16 AM.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Bob Rock only produces. The band is responsible for the musical direction they want to go in. They are the ones who wanted St Anger to sound the way it did.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lars will probably sue the fans who came up with this....
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Bob Rock is not the problem.....

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Default with all due respect

With all due respect for the hard core met fans.....bob rock aint the problem. Inn additon, i liked the way st. anger sounded...it's a brilliant disgusting record.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

...too far gone to save, and it wasn't all Bob Rock's fault, just a miniscule part can be blamed on him...St. Anger!!!

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a poorly written petition that rambled as much as the allegations did. Though I agree that Metallica has not appealed to me much in recent years, a "quick fix" is not going to automatically solve everything. Maybe they should get an addtional drummer to compete with Lars. I always thought the drums sounded to tinny. (Ha)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree with snare, et al; I have never seen such an aggreived bunch of
    crybabies as Metallica fans. Artists ( I use the term loosely) are - and
    should be - free to follow their muse. This kind of 'music by
    committee', or petition in this case, is EXACTLY what leads to
    the market research rock of Ashlee Simpson and the like. Duh.
    Last edited by mistere; 01.19.05 at 09:29 AM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Yeah, and besides, the "Save Van Halen" petition hasn't had the desired effect yet, so folks need to be focused on that!

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by valdez44
    Lars will probably sue the fans who came up with this....
    Damn. Stole it!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Bob Rock is not the problem.....
    Exactly, first the guy is the best thing that happens to them, now he is the fall guy??

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K, Fair Warning,. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

all of 'em
    Last Online

06.16.08 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littleguitars_99
    Exactly, first the guy is the best thing that happens to them, now he is the fall guy??
    Bob Rock was not the reason why Load and Reload were terrible. They were terrible because Metallica tried to write some alternative metal/hard rock albums and they failed miserably. Last time I checked, Bob Rock didn't write any of those songs on Load and Reload so he is definitely not the reason. I think he did a good job with the black album, Metallica's last good album.

St. Anger however was all Bob Rock's fault. The sound was the shittiest sound I've ever heard for an album and the repetitiveness killed it. No solos, drums sounding like trash cans, and Kirk's guitar sounding like shit were all of Bob Rock's doing. I think he should go after St. Anger because I think St. Anger would've been a lot better if some things were changed around with the songs structure and the production.

Bob Rock did produce some good album's in the past like Motely Crue's Dr. Feelgood but he's really going downhill now and he should be stopped before he does any more damage.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VHPoundcake
    St. Anger however was all Bob Rock's fault. The sound was the shittiest sound I've ever heard for an album and the repetitiveness killed it. No solos, drums sounding like trash cans, and Kirk's guitar sounding like shit were all of Bob Rock's doing. I think he should go after St. Anger because I think St. Anger would've been a lot better if some things were changed around with the songs structure and the production.
    I don't think that was totally Bob's doing though, here's what Lars said in an interview last year:

METALLICA's Lars Ulrich recently spoke to the U.K.'s Rhythm magazine about the origins of the "distinctive" drum sound he achieved on the group's new album, "St. Anger". "The famous drum sound everybody is talking about," he said. "One day I forgot to turn the snare on because I wasn't thinking about this stuff. At the playbacks, I decided I was really liking what I was hearing — it had a different ambience. It sang back to me a in a beautiful way. It just felt totally natural. The backlash came when some people heard the album and said, 'You know, heavy metal snares aren't supposed to sound like that.' Well, I guess I must have skipped over Chapter Three in the Heavy Metal Rulebook [laughing]. It's crazy, that kind of closed-mindedness."

Read the rest here