11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Default Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

By LTC Tim Ryan
    SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2005
    Editors' Note: LTC Tim Ryan is Commander, Task Force 2-12 Cavalry, First Cavalry Division in Iraq. He led troops into battle in Fallujah late last year and is now involved in security operations for the upcoming elections. He wrote the following during "down time" after the Fallujah operation. His views are his own.

All right, I've had enough. I am tired of reading distorted and grossly exaggerated stories from major news organizations about the "failures" in the war in Iraq. "The most trusted name in news" and a long list of others continue to misrepresent the scale of events in Iraq. Print and video journalists are covering only a fraction of the events in Iraq and, more often than not, the events they cover are only negative.

The inaccurate picture they paint has distorted the world view of the daily realities in Iraq. The result is a further erosion of international support for the United States' efforts there, and a strengthening of the insurgents' resolve and recruiting efforts while weakening our own. Through their incomplete, uninformed and unbalanced reporting, many members of the media covering the war in Iraq are aiding and abetting the enemy.

The fact is the Coalition is making steady progress in Iraq, but not without ups and downs. So why is it that no matter what events unfold, good or bad, the media highlights mostly the negative aspects of the event? The journalistic adage, "If it bleeds, it leads," still applies in Iraq, but why only when it's American blood?

As a recent example, the operation in Fallujah delivered an absolutely devastating blow to the insurgency. Though much smaller in scope, clearing Fallujah of insurgents arguably could equate to the Allies' breakout from the hedgerows in France during World War II. In both cases, our troops overcame a well-prepared and solidly entrenched enemy and began what could be the latter's last stand. In Fallujah, the enemy death toll has exceeded 1,500 and still is climbing. Put one in the win column for the good guys, right? Wrong. As soon as there was nothing negative to report about Fallujah, the media shifted its focus to other parts of the country.

FULL ARTICLE HERE:http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...680555557.html
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well duh, the media are a bunch of idiots.

The thing the good Colonel doesn't seem to understand is that it was DoD that set the standards for which OIF is going to be judged; the control and securing of Iraq, the rebuilding of the infrastructure and implamenting democracy. Even though we are batting .750 on each of those points you can see why the media may see things differently.

Don't get me wrong, I support the war in Iraq. I also understand that this guy is venting. The media is biased against the war, some much so that CNN and other now blurr the faces of insurgents to protect their identities and they fire on our troops. Still, DoD set the rules of the game and the press is actually playing by them.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Initial reports from Iraq, as the polls close, have a 72% election turnout.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Open Mouth Insert Foot

The war in Iraq has become a war against the American occupation. . . . The U.S. military presence has become part of the problem, not part of the solution. . . . The first step is to confront our own mistakes. . . . No matter how many times the Administration denies it, there is no question they misled the nation and led us into a quagmire in Iraq. . . . As in Vietnam, truth was the first casualty of this war. . . . As a result of our actions in Iraq, our respect and credibility around the world have reached all-time lows. . . . Never in our history has there been a more powerful, more painful example of the saying that those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it. . . . The nations in the Middle East are independent, except for Iraq, which began the 20th century under Ottoman occupation and is now beginning the 21st century under American occupation.
    Jan, 27, 2005
    Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies
    How could he say that and actually believe himself
    I awake on Sunday morning and see pictures of jubilant Iraqis.
    They're waiting in long lines, just as some Americans did last Nov.
    I find it amazing than a sitting US Senator can say that we are part of the problem and that things have reached all-time lows.

Bah, I reject that!

We'll put up before we shut up!
    Our men and women,
    military and civilians alike have risked all,
    stood with the Iraqi people,
    and gave them the gift of Freedom.

No Mr. Kennedy, the rest of the world sees how generous we are and they also see the good.
    Those that see it as you do, Mr. Kennedy,
    are nations that fear what America represents to them—democratic, self-preserving and FREE .
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AFU - Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.04.09 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

72% voter turnout. Hardly a disaster Mr. Ted, you blithering idiot.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well jee wiz Ted, your brother John used the CIA to install the Baath Party in Iraq in 1962 so I can see where you might be pissed; seeing how another chunk of the Kennedey legacy has been flushed. Vietnam being another Kennedey chunk, it's a wonder the public hasn't caught on to this crap.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

The Kennedys are all....dead....

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Well jee wiz Ted, your brother John used the CIA to install the Baath Party in Iraq in 1962 so I can see where you might be pissed; seeing how another chunk of the Kennedey legacy has been flushed. Vietnam being another Kennedey chunk, it's a wonder the public hasn't caught on to this crap.
    Sorry to deny you this one Axx, as you are very versed in military knowledge, but Vietnam was a Johnson thing, not a Kennedy thing.

National Security Action Memorandum #263 of 11 OCT 63 was the beginning of the end of US uivolvment in Vietnam. Kennedy wanted to have all American Personel out of Vietnam by late 1965.

22 NOV 1963 changed that. On 21 NOV 1963 someone had written up NSAM #273, which was to reverse #263. LBJ signed it on 29 NOV 63. In that NASM lay the Vietnam war.

LBJ had a lot of friends at Grumman ,Boeing, Bell Helicopter etc. Kennedy pissed off the CIA with the Bay of Pigs deal. Once eliminated, they knew they could control Johnson.

Vietnam was not a Kennedy mistake, it began with the CIA under Eisenhower, was to be ended by Kennedy, along with the CIA, but with the coup d'etat of 22 NOV 63 that took Kennedy out of the picture, it kicked in to high gear with LBJ and continued with Nixon.

Kennedy knew Vietnam would be a quagmire that would be open-ended with no chance of succeeding. Just like Bush Sr. knew that invading Baghdad would be a problem.

Johnson was a conservative democrat, a Dixie-crat if you will. Nixon was...well, Nixon was a bufoon that couldn't even ascend to the Presidency even WITH CIA help in 1960.

Before the CH-53 thing when I didn't know my borther's status, it was the first time in months that he hadn't sent me an email everyday. He writes to me sometimes, just to vent his frustrations. The other day with the CH-53 crash, he realized how much bullshit the press is being fed by the DoD and The White House. He vents to me because venting to our parents or his kids just makes it tougher on them. He barely writes his wife because of all the lies that she's perpetrated on him while he's been gone; so I became the designated "emotional tampon" for him.

At first I was shocked, but now, I'm kinda honored; in a perverse, evil GWBush is a dick, kinda way. I got a rather lengthy email yesterday from him. The first part was idle chit chat about the pictures I sent him of my daughter and his kids at Christmas. The he blew me out of the chair with what he typed next. Remember, here's a guy that didn't like Clinton, voted for Bush BOTH times. Here's an excerpt of the email I got yesterday from my brother.

Everyone jumps on Clinton for not doing more against Saddam. But Clinton took the approach that Bush Sr. took. There was never a clear objective in taking Baghdad; and there was never a viable exit strategy. Just like now, there is no viable exit strategy. To blame Clinton for this mess is absolutely insane. To blame him for the intel problems is also an extreme ploy by Bush supporters. He had the same intel and chose NOT to invade because there wasn't anything clear and concise that he could pin up and say; "see, there's the smoking gun." Everything Bush used was conjecture and flimsy at best; the same shit they try and crucify Clinton for NOT using!

Ask yourself these questions. If Jr. is so right about this; that he had to pre-emptively attack Iraq; why hasn't Sr. come out and support the decision? Why hasn't Schwarzkopf come out and said that it was the right thing to do? All they say is that he's the President and he's making the choices HE FEELS are right. Notice how they don't go any further and say that they praise him for it? That's always been fishy to me. And maybe they have, but if they have before, you'd think they be singing it from the mountain tops. but they aren't.

And the elction is coming up in about 36 hours. To say that an election is the beginning of the end of our troop involvment is asinine. The easy part was toppling Saddam. Let's call a spade a spade here okay? This election is a sham.

Did you know that the candidates are unknown to the people voting for them?

They're voting strictly by their tribe. If the person is Sunni, they vote for the Sunni's. And so on down the line.
    There were no speeches,
    No debates,
    Nothing printed in the papers.

Once the people are put in office, they're going to get picked off one by one. This country is going to denegrate in to chaos and civil war. The only thing democratic about the election was the fact that there was one. The rest is all bullshit. The people that are going to be in office are the people already in under the IPG. The rest of the cabinet is nothing more than lip service and ceremonial. At this point, the election was held so that Bush could save face; nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and don't believe shit the press and DoD is saying about the CH crash the other day. Sandstorm my ass, that Stallion was brought down by a SAM. The press has no clue, because they weren't allowed to be there, so they're gonna say it was pilot error for flying in a sandstorm because that's what CENTCOM is saying. They didn't see the hole blown in the side of it. I know, because I saw it. CH's don't just fall from the sky from a sandstorm. The pilots are able to get those things down with minimal injuries. If sandstorms were the cause, there'd be dozens of thse things going down every day. They are the most durable chopper next to the Chinooks.

Bro; this war has never been about WMD's, ridding the world of Saddam and terrorism. It's a fuckin' oil grab. Remember when Bush was saying that oil prices would drop when Saddam was caught? We'd see prices as low as they were in the late 80's, early 90's. Have they?? Fuck no they haven't!! They jumped almost $20/barrel. Why?? Because we secured the oilfields and left the pipelines wide open for the taking. More later when I have some more time to write. Been busy with, well, you know. Later Bro.

Now don't go off on how much of a coward, degenerate or cocksuker he is. My brother has been in for over 20 years, risen from a private to a Warrant Officer and has never ran from his obligations. But he has never seen anything as fucked up as this. He was in Panama, The Phillipines, Grenada, Gulf War I, Afghanistan and now this. I think he has just finally had with lameduck commanders that won't be ballsy enough to look at Bush and Rumsfeld and say; "we're fucked unless we get more help in here." They don't listen to the grunts and grunt officers in the field when they say that they need more help, they don't care who gives it as long as it's not the Iraqi National Guard.

All this election is, is another placement of an American backed government. From the man that said he's not in to nation building in the lead up to the 2000 election. Once this "elected" government realizes it's bieng used, we'll see another problem like this again. In short...we're fucked.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default you and your brother are entitle to an opinion... unfortunately, it's the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy
    Sorry to deny you this one Axx, as you are very versed in military knowledge, but Vietnam was a Johnson thing, not a Kennedy thing.

National Security Action Memorandum #263 of 11 OCT 63 was the beginning of the end of US uivolvment in Vietnam. Kennedy wanted to have all American Personel out of Vietnam by late 1965.

22 NOV 1963 changed that. On 21 NOV 1963 someone had written up NSAM #273, which was to reverse #263. LBJ signed it on 29 NOV 63. In that NASM lay the Vietnam war.

LBJ had a lot of friends at Grumman ,Boeing, Bell Helicopter etc. Kennedy pissed off the CIA with the Bay of Pigs deal. Once eliminated, they knew they could control Johnson.

Vietnam was not a Kennedy mistake, it began with the CIA under Eisenhower, was to be ended by Kennedy, along with the CIA, but with the coup d'etat of 22 NOV 63 that took Kennedy out of the picture, it kicked in to high gear with LBJ and continued with Nixon.

Kennedy knew Vietnam would be a quagmire that would be open-ended with no chance of succeeding. Just like Bush Sr. knew that invading Baghdad would be a problem.

Johnson was a conservative democrat, a Dixie-crat if you will. Nixon was...well, Nixon was a bufoon that couldn't even ascend to the Presidency even WITH CIA help in 1960.

Before the CH-53 thing when I didn't know my borther's status, it was the first time in months that he hadn't sent me an email everyday. He writes to me sometimes, just to vent his frustrations. The other day with the CH-53 crash, he realized how much bullshit the press is being fed by the DoD and The White House. He vents to me because venting to our parents or his kids just makes it tougher on them. He barely writes his wife because of all the lies that she's perpetrated on him while he's been gone; so I became the designated "emotional tampon" for him.

At first I was shocked, but now, I'm kinda honored; in a perverse, evil GWBush is a dick, kinda way. I got a rather lengthy email yesterday from him. The first part was idle chit chat about the pictures I sent him of my daughter and his kids at Christmas. The he blew me out of the chair with what he typed next. Remember, here's a guy that didn't like Clinton, voted for Bush BOTH times. Here's an excerpt of the email I got yesterday from my brother.

Everyone jumps on Clinton for not doing more against Saddam. But Clinton took the approach that Bush Sr. took. There was never a clear objective in taking Baghdad; and there was never a viable exit strategy. Just like now, there is no viable exit strategy. To blame Clinton for this mess is absolutely insane. To blame him for the intel problems is also an extreme ploy by Bush supporters. He had the same intel and chose NOT to invade because there wasn't anything clear and concise that he could pin up and say; "see, there's the smoking gun." Everything Bush used was conjecture and flimsy at best; the same shit they try and crucify Clinton for NOT using!

Ask yourself these questions. If Jr. is so right about this; that he had to pre-emptively attack Iraq; why hasn't Sr. come out and support the decision? Why hasn't Schwarzkopf come out and said that it was the right thing to do? All they say is that he's the President and he's making the choices HE FEELS are right. Notice how they don't go any further and say that they praise him for it? That's always been fishy to me. And maybe they have, but if they have before, you'd think they be singing it from the mountain tops. but they aren't.

And the elction is coming up in about 36 hours. To say that an election is the beginning of the end of our troop involvment is asinine. The easy part was toppling Saddam. Let's call a spade a spade here okay? This election is a sham.

They're voting strictly by their tribe. If the person is Sunni, they vote for the Sunni's. And so on down the line.
    There were no speeches,
    No debates,

Once the people are put in office, they're going to get picked off one by one. This country is going to denegrate in to chaos and civil war. The only thing democratic about the election was the fact that there was one. The rest is all bullshit. The people that are going to be in office are the people already in under the IPG. The rest of the cabinet is nothing more than lip service and ceremonial. At this point, the election was held so that Bush could save face; nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and don't believe shit the press and DoD is saying about the CH crash the other day. Sandstorm my ass, that Stallion was brought down by a SAM. The press has no clue, because they weren't allowed to be there, so they're gonna say it was pilot error for flying in a sandstorm because that's what CENTCOM is saying. They didn't see the hole blown in the side of it. I know, because I saw it. CH's don't just fall from the sky from a sandstorm. The pilots are able to get those things down with minimal injuries. If sandstorms were the cause, there'd be dozens of thse things going down every day. They are the most durable chopper next to the Chinooks.

Bro; this war has never been about WMD's, ridding the world of Saddam and terrorism. It's a fuckin' oil grab. Remember when Bush was saying that oil prices would drop when Saddam was caught? We'd see prices as low as they were in the late 80's, early 90's. Have they?? Fuck no they haven't!! They jumped almost $20/barrel. Why?? Because we secured the oilfields and left the pipelines wide open for the taking. More later when I have some more time to write. Been busy with, well, you know. Later Bro.

Now don't go off on how much of a coward, degenerate or cocksuker he is. My brother has been in for over 20 years, risen from a private to a Warrant Officer and has never ran from his obligations. But he has never seen anything as fucked up as this. He was in Panama, The Phillipines, Grenada, Gulf War I, Afghanistan and now this. I think he has just finally had with lameduck commanders that won't be ballsy enough to look at Bush and Rumsfeld and say; "we're fucked unless we get more help in here." They don't listen to the grunts and grunt officers in the field when they say that they need more help, they don't care who gives it as long as it's not the Iraqi National Guard.

All this election is, is another placement of an American backed government. From the man that said he's not in to nation building in the lead up to the 2000 election. Once this "elected" government realizes it's bieng used, we'll see another problem like this again. In short...we're fucked.

i tip my hat to your brother, assuming he is in fact serving in the US military in iraq, but i do not give his opinion any more or less credence because so.

unfortunately, you both seem to mouth the same words as all the disgruntled political losers from november's election. take for example, the claim of, "bush has no exit strategy." this statment is completely false.

the bush exit strategy is self-evident for anyone with open eyes. step one is to establish a democratic political system whereby iraq is governed by elected officials--not bloodthirsty tyrants. a big step towards that goal is to have an open and fair election. (notice i said "fair", not "perfect") much to the chagrin of bush's political enemies, the election was a RESOUNDING success. in fact, as a percentage of their population, more iraqis voted in their election than their US counterparts did in our own election. sorry, teddy.

the second part of bush's strategy is to provide the necessary security, time and materiel for the newly-formed iraqi government to become firmly established. a big part of this process is training and equiping an iraqi national guard and police force. saddam ruled iraq with 500,000 well-armed thugs. it's going to take some time to create a sufficient force, but the US is well on the way. this process has taken more time than originally thought, but in the grand scheme of things, so what?

the third part of the strategy is a structured withdrawal of american troops. this will happen in three phases with phase one being the replacement of front-line american troops with freshly trained iraqis and the US taking up back-up positions. phase two will be the withdrawal of US forces to isolated enclaves inside iraq where they can be called upon to provide assistance to iraqis on an as-needed basis. phase three will be the final withdrawal of all us troops with perhaps just a few advisors remaining in iraq.

it's fine for you to disagree with bush's politics, but to just repeat the same, tired arguments is boring and pointless.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MSNBC had a detailed breakdown of the Iraqi ballot so he must have missed it on the news because they did cover that issue. The election is just the begining, not the end of things. It will get the ball rolling and hopefully speed up our exit.

In my research for my book I have found that the Army "retired" it's more agressive officers back in the 1990s. This one you can blame on the Clinton admin. Guys like General David Grange and even Wesley Clark (who's a weenie) were given their walking papers. It was far worse in the lower ranks , many of whom were lost to the booming economy (why put up with chickenshits and bullshit for $35,000 a year or less when SBC is offering you $85,000 a year for the same job?). The NCO cadre in the combat arms held firm but had no leadership, their tech counterparts fled the military for high paying civilian jobs. Worst hit was INTELLIGENCE, officers and NCOs left for bigger paycheck in the civilian world and we were left with what my brother calls "The 10% Crew", these guys couldn't find shit in an outhouse.

The thing that seperated our Army in the 1980's from the one today was a balls-out agressive leadership from the top down. If you didn't kick ass you were asked to leave. There are many operational things done today that would have gotten somebody's ass in a sling back then. The public announcements of offensives and troop rototations you see today actually aid the insurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan. Zharquowi even said so in his intercepted communique', he stratigized that he would wait until Bush sent in the reserve units before stepping up his offensive. He knew when they were coming because the DoD put out a press release that told him so. If you notice over the last year and a half that he rarely takes on the the mainline units from the 82nd, 101st or 1stCav. The only people who need to know troop deployments are the troops, nobody else needs to know. In the 80's the Dod didn't say shit. When the 7thID(L) deployed to Honduras in 1987 the DoD said nothing at first and then said it was a training excersize. There was no advanced warning, one day the Hondurans woke up and there our guys were. That's how you do it. I don't know what the fuck Rumsfeld is thinking anymore, mostly because I can't lower my IQ that far.

I support the war, I think it was the right thing to do for so many reasons. The problem I have is that it's been done in a half-assed way, contrary to the way the first gulf war was fought. Worse, nobody at the Pentagon was willing to stand up to Rumsfeld and Wolfawitz, Gen.Shinseki came close but chose to back down and save his retirement. There was no plan for worst-case and that stands out as comment on the compitency of the OIF planning.
    This is not a case of hindsite either, for the last six years I have been immersed legistics and military planning and I have been stunned almost weekly at the lack of planning in advance and then lack of initiative and speed of contact once we held the country. Just look at our history with Fallujah and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

One last point, if anybody thinks that Kennedey was going to pull us out of Vietnam they are fooling themselves. Johnson's cabinet was Kennedey's cabinet so he would have gotten the same advice and most likely done the same thing as a reaction to events in 1964 in SE Asia. Our involvment goes back to 1948. I don't blame Kennedey, I blame the French who clearly fucked us on Vietnam.

My Blog:

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One last point, if anybody thinks that Kennedey was going to pull us out of Vietnam they are fooling themselves.
    You are correct. Kennedy had no immediate intentions of pulling out of Vietnam.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?

February 1, 2005

BY MARK BROWN SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Maybe you're like me and have opposed the Iraq war since before the shooting started -- not to the point of joining any peace protests, but at least letting people know where you stood.

You didn't change your mind when our troops swept quickly into Baghdad or when you saw the rabble that celebrated the toppling of the Saddam Hussein statue, figuring that little had been accomplished and that the tough job still lay ahead.

Despite your misgivings, you didn't demand the troops be brought home immediately afterward, believing the United States must at least try to finish what it started to avoid even greater bloodshed. And while you cheered Saddam's capture, you couldn't help but thinking I-told-you-so in the months that followed as the violence continued to spread and the death toll mounted.

By now, you might have even voted against George Bush -- a second time -- to register your disapproval.

But after watching Sunday's election in Iraq and seeing the first clear sign that freedom really may mean something to the Iraqi people, you have to be asking yourself: What if it turns out Bush was right, and we were wrong?

It's hard to swallow, isn't it?

Americans cross own barrier

If you fit the previously stated profile, I know you're fighting the idea, because I am, too. And if you were with the president from the start, I've already got your blood boiling.

For those who've been in the same boat with me, we don't need to concede the point just yet. There's a long way to go. But I think we have to face the possibility.

I won't say that it had never occurred to me previously, but it's never gone through my mind as strongly as when I watched the television coverage from Iraq that showed long lines of people risking their lives by turning out to vote, honest looks of joy on so many of their faces.

Some CNN guest expert was opining Monday that the Iraqi people crossed a psychological barrier by voting and getting a taste of free choice (setting aside the argument that they only did so under orders from their religious leaders).

I think it's possible that some of the American people will have crossed a psychological barrier as well.

Deciding democracy's worth

On the other side of that barrier is a concept some of us have had a hard time swallowing:

Maybe the United States really can establish a peaceable democratic government in Iraq, and if so, that would be worth something.

Would it be worth all the money we've spent? Certainly.

Would it be worth all the lives that have been lost? That's the more difficult question, and while I reserve judgment on that score until such a day arrives, it seems probable that history would answer yes to that as well.

I don't want to get carried away in the moment.

Going to war still sent so many terrible messages to the world.

Most of the obstacles to success in Iraq are all still there, the ones that have always led me to believe that we would eventually be forced to leave the country with our tail tucked between our legs. (I've maintained from the start that if you were impressed by the demonstrations in the streets of Baghdad when we arrived, wait until you see how they celebrate our departure, no matter the circumstances.)

In and of itself, the voting did nothing to end the violence. The forces trying to regain the power they have lost -- and the outside elements supporting them -- will be no less determined to disrupt our efforts and to drive us out.

Somebody still has to find a way to bring the Sunnis into the political process before the next round of elections at year's end. The Iraqi government still must develop the capacity to protect its people.

And there seems every possibility that this could yet end in civil war the day we leave or with Iraq becoming an Islamic state every bit as hostile to our national interests as was Saddam.

Penance could be required

But on Sunday, we caught a glimpse of the flip side. We could finally see signs that a majority of the Iraqi people perceive something to be gained from this brave new world we are forcing on them.

Instead of making the elections a further expression of "Yankee Go Home," their participation gave us hope that all those soldiers haven't died in vain.

Obviously, I'm still curious to see if Bush is willing to allow the Iraqis to install a government that is free to kick us out or to oppose our other foreign policy efforts in the region.

So is the rest of the world.

For now, though, I think we have to cut the president some slack about a timetable for his exit strategy.

If it turns out Bush was right all along, this is going to require some serious penance.

Maybe I'd have to vote Republican in 2008.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default oh, and your brother's warped "analysis" of the price of oil borders on hilarity

Quote Originally Posted by Redrockinmonkeyboy

There were no speeches,
    No debates,

it's actually sad to read of a uniformed soldier (again, assuming he is, in fact, a US soldier, a fact about which i hold serious reservations...) with such a perverse view of his government and such a childlike misunderstanding of the complexities that make up the world oil markets.

but on the other hand, i am reminded of the wonderful freedoms we take for granted in our country when a solidier in volunteer service of his nation can write such warped statements about his Commander-in-Chief without fear of reprisal.

freedom truly is a thing of power and beauty. and that's why, even under the real threat of death, iraqis came out to vote by the millions. that's a little factoid your brother, you and the rest of your political cozens would do well to ponder.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To defend the guy, all soldiers in-theater bitch. Even Marc Anthony's men had something to gripe about.

How a grunt perceives the situation in Iraq, as in any war, will depend on where his boots are at that moment. Some units see all the shit, other units are bored silly. His bro is a Marine and I'd bet good money that the Army's going to have a different take on the situation. Then you have reserves vs frontline units, mec vs light infantry and everybody vs the Air Force.

You take it all with a grain or two of salt.

The problem is when this stuff makes it into the press. The Jihadists can read too and they take this stuff as an indication that they are winning and emboldens them to fight even harder.

If a Marine in Iraq wants to vent I will back him all the way.

My Blog:

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default as i first posted, he is entitled to his opinion...

To defend the guy, all soldiers in-theater bitch. Even Marc Anthony's men had something to gripe about.

How a grunt perceives the situation in Iraq, as in any war, will depend on where his boots are at that moment. Some units see all the shit, other units are bored silly. His bro is a Marine and I'd bet good money that the Army's going to have a different take on the situation. Then you have reserves vs frontline units, mec vs light infantry and everybody vs the Air Force.

You take it all with a grain or two of salt.

The problem is when this stuff makes it into the press. The Jihadists can read too and they take this stuff as an indication that they are winning and emboldens them to fight even harder.

If a Marine in Iraq wants to vent I will back him all the way.
    but you missed my point entirely.

if a dog face wants to bitch, let him. he can bitch about the food. bitch about the equipment. bitch about the weather. bitch about the lack of pussy. bitch about his shit stained drawers. bitch about the price of tea in china.

but some subjects are off limits. period. bitching about your CO, for example, will get your ass busted. not to mention your teeth. i don't know of a Marine unit that is run any other way. so right away, this story is suspect to me.

slurring the CMIC, undermining the election as a "sham" and writing off the sole purpose of the mission in iraq as "an oil grab" tells me that's one soldier with his head squarely up his ass.

his coments are so totally out-of-step with the mission that it's more than a little hard to swallow that he is, in fact, a marine serving in iraq. he sounds a lot more like a left-wing political malcontent whose desperately trying to relive the november election--only this time, kerry and edwards hold hands and kiss at the end of the movie.

but wheter he is or isn't is irrelevant.

what is relevant is that his opinion is warped and based on abject ignorance. and his fucked up view of the mission is a slap in the face of all those soldiers who have paid a heavy price, some the ultimate price, while performing their duties.