Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default First Strat:Electronics/neck problems

I just inspected my first Strat (Sapphire blue Highway 1 Strat) this morning after looking it over last night.
    The first thing I noticed when I plugged in, is that the neck pickup isn't there. Since I wanted to change the "texas flag" pickguard that was on there back to the original, it gave me a chance to inspect the wiring. I'll be the first to say I don't know shit about wiring, and sure as hell don't know shit about Strat wiring. But I inspected all the hot and ground wires from the pickups, and everything was soldered solidly. Next step, I worked some funk out into the volume pot and the switch.

Then I assembled the pickguard and during this process, while siting down the fretboard while the guitar is lying flat, I noticed the Low E string tends to graduate higher (somethin like this: / , although not that extreme) to the edge of the neck from the nut towards the upper register. I didn't give it much time, but I loosened the neck bolts and shifted the neck a bit. Well, I don't know if it shifted back, but it's the same thing. I might give that another try, but it doesn't look good from here. Well, I plugged her in and again and again, no neck pickup.

All I can think is that I need a new switch, but not sure if it could be another ailment.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Did you recently buy it new from a dealer? If so, I'd have 'em either fix it or exchange it for another one in proper order.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah man,

I bought it off EBay. I already sent the dude a couple of emails and am waiting for him to get back with me, and then I'm going to go from there.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII
    Nah man,

I bought it off EBay. I already sent the dude a couple of emails and am waiting for him to get back with me, and then I'm going to go from there.
    It doesn't sound like there is anything there that isn't easily repaired. I don't understand what you mean with the low E though. Are you referring to the string not running parallel to the edge of the finger board or do you mean the action gets higher? If its its the first, does the high e have a similar issue? If the neck is shifted it should. If not, a properly cut nut may be in order.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect
    It doesn't sound like there is anything there that isn't easily repaired. I don't understand what you mean with the low E though. Are you referring to the string not running parallel to the edge of the finger board or do you mean the action gets higher? If its its the first, does the high e have a similar issue? If the neck is shifted it should. If not, a properly cut nut may be in order.
    Yeah the neck is not aligning properly. The high E/treble side looks pretty damn straight. That's what got me thinking about the nut. It just fucking blows to have this many problems with a pretty much new axe. I might give at another try tomorrow, but to be that off it must be the nut.

I've been set on throwing a set of Kinmans in there before I bought one, and now I'm leaning towards the 100% no solder harness kit. But maybe this would be a good idea for me to get feet wet in soldering/wiring and shit. On the other hand, I'd rather just pop em in and play, and already having the 7 way switch sounds awesome. I just don't understand how it's 100% no solder - don't you still have to solder the grounds to the control and trem cavities?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well,

I discovered a few days ago that the nut isn't even glued in, and it's certainly not cut right. I gave it a slight push, and that thing slides around like nothing.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna take it to the tech, have him check out the neck pickup, install a graphite or slipstone nut (any of you guys tried these nuts?), and set her up. I may consider a roller nut down the road, but I'd like to try one of those two first. That Kinman harness is a little steep and I may end up getting it down the road, but I'd like to hear the stock neck pickup as is.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TheMightyCopenHalenII, I read your first post and figured I'd stay out of it cause to me the highway 1 strats are just parts guitars, but I'd hate to see you trying to sprinkle sugar on dogshit, hoping it'll turn into something else.
    I love strats, and I've played over 30 of them (hyway 1's) and haven't found one I like yet. They use the made in USA sticker to suck people in, which is a shitty thing for a company like Fender to do. They tell you you're saving money because they don't laquer the bodies and necks like the other USA strats but that's just horse shit.
    A tech should be able to get it working, but just about everything on that instrument is substandard so you might want to think about how much money you spend on it down the road. No matter what you do to it, it'll stiull be a hiway 1.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb,

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? Jus jokin dude. Well, I'm certainly no Strat aficionado. I just thought I'd get my feet wet with a Strat before I went ahead and did the Warmoth job. I didn't spend that much on it, but I guess I should have heeded some of the "quality control" issues others have had with recent Strats on harmony central. I'm sure they churn out alot of good guitars as well. I'm not looking to be a Strat purist by any means. I think once I get her setup, it'll fit my needs.

When you refer to substandard, do you mean the Tremolo and the tuners are substandard as well?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry TheMightyCopenHalenII. I wasn't trying to to take any shots at you. I just don't have any regard for these guitars.
    The bridge isn't bad but the tuners are Pings, which are terrible. Try and trade them in for better tuners at a store and most stores won't even take them. The bodies are peices of alder glued together, anywhere from 3 to 7 peices, with no grain balance so no two peices will resonate the same, which doesn't matter when you've got 7 peices glued together anyway.
    I'd say the pickups are awful, but I haven't tried any 2 of these guitars that sound the same so I'm thinking it's mainly the neck and body.
    Pickups can always be swapped around but the neck and body of a guitar define the sound and feel.
    Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but if you're just getting your feet wet with a strat it should fit the bill once it's properly setup.
    Hopefully it'll stay that way for awhile.