Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

09.13.08 @ 09:43 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Question about RHRN.

Hello all!

I was just reading The Best of Guitar Player, the Van Halen issue. You know the one that has these unpublished Eddie interviews from '78-'82.

Anyhoo, in the Stage Hands- section where James Rotondi discusses Live RHRN, he says the following: "... despite being recorded as much as 5 years apart, the songs exhibit a remarkable sonic consistency cut to cut."

What's up with that? I really find it hard to believe to songs on the discs are really recorded 5 years apart.

So if anyone has an explanation for this I would find my inner peace

Edit: Oh yeah, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum...
    Last edited by FIN 5150; 01.17.05 at 02:08 AM.
    Suomi Finland Perkele!!

Last Online

09.30.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe he's talking about the time scale when the original tracks were recorded in the studio? 5150 was released, when, 1986? RHRN was released about 91, 92 I think. This wouldnt explain the Roth songs on there but they were a bit of an after thought in the Van Hagar era anyway.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

I've read that before, a few different places. It's just a bunch of crap.

Last Online

09.08.06 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The compilation for the CD/DVD was recorded over 2 nights. Maybe 2 days feels like 5 years when you're a VH roadie.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah that must be it
    Suomi Finland Perkele!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:16 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

It's because...

The live CD was put together from a bunch of songs recorded over the years, for example, I believe that One Way to Rock and Ain't talking bout love were not from the F.U.C.K tour. The RHRN video/DVD was obviously recorded over two nights in Fresno.

Simple as that really. Ed has said that he and Alex picked the cuts for the CD and had a go at engineering them (this was after they had engineered a show for Westwood One and they were pretty impressed with their efforts) but it was taking forever, so they brought in Andy Johns and he improved it instantly and that's what we all ended up buying. I think he did a great job and brought out a real 'live' sound to the whole thing.

Anyway, that's how it happened.
    Does the noise in my head bother you ?

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are all from the same 2 nights including aint talking bout love and one way to rock. Listen to them again and eds tone is the same throughout the whole cd.He didnt sound anything like that on any of the other tours.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Edit: Ref. Flying Ed's post

If that is the case, then I am truly impressed by the consistency of the sound.

How ever, considering the above mentioned songs ATBL and One Way to Rock, there are a few little things that bugs me:

They both feature Eddie using wah-pedal, and I was under the impression that he didn't use them on previous tours.

Secondly, the unison guitarpart in One Way to Rock, sounds like Eddie's using a neck pickup, which he didn't have before his Music Man.

And finally the pic of Eddie and Sammy in the album booklet. They're both playing and it's clearly from the F.U.C.K- tour ( clothes, Music Man-guitar) and I'm probably wrong but I didn't think Sammy played on other songs than One Way to Rock on that cd.

Well, sorry if i was a bit meticulous, no pun intended
    Last edited by FIN 5150; 01.17.05 at 05:13 AM.
    Suomi Finland Perkele!!

Last Online

09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ed originally said it was going to be from the first 3 tours with sammy.but it ended up being comprised solely of the f.u.c.k tour.and i'm sure they're from those two nights in l.a. but then again,there's been alot of speculation with that album.eddie himself has said he didn't like the way it turned out.in particular the "wall of screams/sounds" coming from the fans throughout the album.eddie himself has said that isn't the way it was or is.just listen it to it,there's no real volume change with the fans at all.it just stays constant.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Not too mention... listen to "Love Walks In". Only played in 1986 (before it returned in 1993). But you can clearly hear Eddie playing a rhythm part. And "Won't Get Fooled Again" Hagar said this was recorded in 1988. But listen to the drums NO WAY that is from 1988.

And "Man On A Mission"... in the video.. there are ZERO crowd shots. It's like they filmed it at soundcheck knowing it was going on a LIVE record.

There was another thread awhile back.. the speculation is that some songs were recorded in the studio.

All in all.. it's a crappy record. WAY TOO POLISHED.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Last Online

09.30.05 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's definitely a lot of cutting. pasting and polishing on that record both the audio and the video. Some of the song visuals do seem to have been filmed at a time other than the concerts themselves. Led Zeppelin did something similar for TSRTS another flawed live recording. There's some confusing discrepancies between the video and audio too. For example, the start of YRGM is different between the CD and the video, yet Sammy does that whole 'where's my girlfriend schtick' in the breakdown section. ONE of the versions is edited!
    That said, I think the whole project gets more flak than it deserves. There's some really good cuts on there both the CD and the video (Dreams on the CD springs to mind, Panama's good, Right Now and Poundcake on the vid). I'd rather have a flawed live project than no live project!

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we referrring to RHRN video or CD? Obviously the video was shot in two nights. The CD is comprised of songs from tours dating from '86, '88, and '91.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.24.08 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default CD Recorded over 5 years but DVD recorded over 2 nights

The Cd was indeed recorded over 5 years. It featured songs from all of the Van Hagar tours. They tried to match the tone in the mix to make it flow.

The DVD was recorded over 2 nights in Fresno. I was at both. Man on a Mission and In & Out are not live songs. They are indeed sound check records with audience splices to make it look live.

The CD has parts redone in the studio. Almost every band takes live tracks then re-records parts of it due to mistakes, bad sound, and equipment problems. What they are trying to capture is the live feel and energy.

I had a few talks with Ed and Matt Bruck about this exact show.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More bands should be like Pearl Jam and just fucking release every show they ever did/do since their 2000 tour, with little if any clean up from the soundboard recording. I dunno know about anybody else but I'd take raw live stuff better than polished and remixed live stuff any day. The sound / picture quality is all I give a shit about anyway.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farside
    Man on a Mission and In & Out are not live songs. They are indeed sound check records with audience splices to make it look live.

[...]

Hope this clears it up for you.
    It does and I feel lied to and betrayed! I guess i've never watched it that carefuly before (or sober, for that matter). I do remember them having on different clothes for a few of the songs (other then the 2 sets that get cut in and out of at nausia) but I just figured it was part of an encore or something like that when they all changed. I'm so gullable.