Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default How the hell am I supposed to know?

Ok guys, this is a really embarrassing question for me because you'd think I would know more about this but I dont.

My question is, how am I supposed to know what is a cabinet, head, and combo and how do the 3 go together. What do the sizes mean?

I realized that I dont know much of anything when it comes to amps because I spend all of my time on guitars so if you could help me out, that would be really cool.

I was lookin at musicians friend for some amp ideas and I decided that if I actually want to play some gigs on stage, then I would need a kick ass amp.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

A "head" is the amplifier unit it contains no speakers etc, it is simply the "guts" of the amp. A cabinet is essentially the housing the speakers are mounted in. There are several types, open backed, closed backed, 3/4 opened, front mounted, rear mounted, etc.

A 2x12 cabinet has (2) 12" speakers, 4x10 cabinet has (4) 10" speakers. 4x12 has (4) 12" speakers, and so on.

Generally an amplifier "head" is connected to the speaker cabinet.

A combo combines the speaker head and cabinet together in one unit rather than 2 different pieces.

That's a very general description.

Hope it helps...

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Last edited by A&Z Guitar Repair; 01.16.05 at 08:23 PM.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Last Online

12.26.11 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Ok guys, this is a really embarrassing question for me because you'd think I would know more about this but I dont.

My question is, how am I supposed to know what is a cabinet, head, and combo and how do the 3 go together. What do the sizes mean?

I realized that I dont know much of anything when it comes to amps because I spend all of my time on guitars so if you could help me out, that would be really cool.

I was lookin at musicians friend for some amp ideas and I decided that if I actually want to play some gigs on stage, then I would need a kick ass amp.
    The basics are that the amp head, is just the eletronic working part of the amp. Has the tubes, setting knobs, input and outputs jacks etc.

The cabinet is nothing but a speaker cabinet, which usually houses four 12" speakers. The amp head on top and hooked to one of these cabinets is a "half stack". Head on top of two of the cabinets is a "full stack".

A combo is the amp head and two 12" speakers all installed in one enclosure. I have seen a combo on top of a single four speaker cabinet for a total of six speakers as well.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

wow, that explains alot but how does the head and cabinet work as one? Are they connected by certain input/output jacks or what?

So essentially, the head is the brains of the operation and the cabinet carries out the operation? If thats the case, then that really explains alot too but I still dont understand how you make the head and cabinet work together.

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A head is the power and control for an amplifier system. A head has NO speakers. The head is where you plug your guitar into and control volume and shape your sound. You then plug your head into the...

Cabinet.

A cabinet is a large box with 1, 2 or four speakers. The speakers can range in size from 8 inches to 18 inches. The average guitar speaker cab houses 12 inch speakers. The cabinet is NOT powered.

A combo amp is an amp with BOTH power and speakers. Google a Fender Twin or the Peavy 5150 combo amp. They either have one or two 10 inch or 12 inch speakers.

A head/4-12 cabinet combo is best for large clubs or small to medium concert halls (1500 to 5000 people). Some heads have the digital or "Trans-tube" technology and those don't have the volume issues that you will encounter with an all-tube head. Tubes are loud, even at one. Digital allows you better quality sounds at low volumes and toady they compete with the tube amps at brain-frying volumes. You can also add a second 4-12 cabinet to make a "stack". The primary reason that you'd do this is to look cool because unless you are playing in a 747 hanger it won't make that much impact on your sound. (KISS used to load their stage with empty cabinets too look cool, other bands do this as well. It's a guitarist version of lip-synching)

A combo amp is most common. They are great for the average club and playing at home. Carlos Santana uses a 1/12 combo amp with a 1/12 extention, that should tell you all that you need to know about their potentual power and quality.

What you need to think about is size and weight. Go look at your refridgerator, I'll wait....okay good, if you get a stack then you are going to have to lug it around. It will weight about the same as your fridge and take up the same amount of space. I used to have a Yamaha 100watt 2/12 combo with a 4/12 cabinet. I was more than I needed but I could use the cabinet to put my 2/12 on top of so I got better sound, even though I didn't plug it into the cabinet. A 4/12 cabinet will become furnature and over the seven years that I had it my mother used it to display X-mas decorations and flowers on when I wasn't using it. This was because I couldn't fit it into my bedroom.
    So think about where you are going to be playing, better yet go there. Look at the stage or area (corner) where the bands play. Do they come in from the front with everyone else? Is there a backdoor? Do you have to climb any stairs? Is there an evevator? What are the bands using? How does that sound? Amps are a big deal, I have been mulling over my amp choice for two years. I now have a bad back so the odds are I'm going with a 1/12. Most of the places in my area are small so that's enough, larger places will usually have a sound system and a sound guy, he will mike my amp. You are going to have to lug your amp into your gig and then lug it out. Smaller amps are great BUT you have to keep a closer eye on them at gigs to make sure nobody steals it (if you are playing a place with your big-assed stack this can also happen with easy proximity to the door, almost all amps have wheels).

This is more than you asked for but it's shit I wish I'd known back when I was a rookie.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

wow, that explains alot but how does the head and cabinet work as one? Are they connected by certain input/output jacks or what?

So essentially, the head is the brains of the operation and the cabinet carries out the operation? If thats the case, then that really explains alot too but I still dont understand how you make the head and cabinet work together.
    Hope this pic helps.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thai Boxer 9901, what amp have you been playing up till now?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

well when I first started out, I had a fender frontman practice amp which was a piece of shit. Then for x-mas, I got me a VOX AD15VT Combo which is cool but not exactly somethin I would take on stage (if I ever get to that point)

I was actually lookin at these beauties since I cant find the 5150's anywhere (except for E-bay)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/82972

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/34491

Those 2 links make up this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/87080

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Remember...NEVER use a regular guitar cable to plug in speakers. It will turn your amp into a Class-X Heater.

Which reminds me...these amps work off smoke. If you let the smoke out of your amp, it ceases to function properly. Using a guitar cable for speakers COULD POSSIBLY allow the smoke to escape, rendering it useless.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well when I first started out, I had a fender frontman practice amp which was a piece of shit. Then for x-mas, I got me a VOX AD15VT Combo which is cool but not exactly somethin I would take on stage (if I ever get to that point)

I was actually lookin at these beauties since I cant find the 5150's anywhere (except for E-bay)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/82972

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/34491

Those 2 links make up this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/87080
    That's a lot of amp, but you can pick up a used JCM 800 and 4x12 speaker cab for about 1/3 of what they're asking.
    If you like marshalls there's a lot of 2x10 or 2x12 tube combo's you'd probably like, without all the weight and power you probably don't need.
    Have a look at a marshall 2000 DSL or TSL combo. It probably has all the features you'd need without the weight and can easily be heard in the mix or in a live situation.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    Remember...NEVER use a regular guitar cable to plug in speakers. It will turn your amp into a Class-X Heater.

Which reminds me...these amps work off smoke. If you let the smoke out of your amp, it ceases to function properly. Using a guitar cable for speakers COULD POSSIBLY allow the smoke to escape, rendering it useless.
    I am using a 3' rock monster cable between my 5150II amp head and cabinet. Is this a mistake? Should I get something else?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

A guitar cable is way too thin. I typically use zip cord (lamp cord) from the hardware store and make my own (at least 14 guage).

As for your cable, I'm not familiar with "rock monster cable". I've concluded that anything with the word "monster" in it is probably overpriced but then again there are those folks who are tonally anal. Nothing wrong with that.

Unscrew the sleeve on the jack. If you see a shield connected to the ground, you have a guitar cable, NOT a speaker cable.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    A guitar cable is way too thin. I typically use zip cord (lamp cord) from the hardware store and make my own (at least 14 guage).

As for your cable, I'm not familiar with "rock monster cable". I've concluded that anything with the word "monster" in it is probably overpriced but then again there are those folks who are tonally anal. Nothing wrong with that.

Unscrew the sleeve on the jack. If you see a shield connected to the ground, you have a guitar cable, NOT a speaker cable.
    Thanks for the info CF. While anal is probably an accurate description, I prefer obsessive compulsive.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

shit, learnin this stuff was easier than I thought but I still need to figure out what I really want but those marshalls will be with me...someday

BTW: What the hell is a pre-amp?

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

BTW: What the hell is a pre-amp?
    Thai Boxer,

Think of it this way. Preamp + Power Amp = Amp Head

Very basicaly, a preamp is the "gain + EQ section" of a head or combo. The power amp, for the most part, supplies the volume. The sound is shaped by the preamp and then the power amp produces volume to amplify it. They sometimes are separated into preamps and power amps so that you can "mix & match" their sound. For instance, say Peavey had a one rackspace preamp called the "EVH Preamp." To get output to the speakers, you'd have to connect it (output of pre to input of poweramp) to a separate power amp like their Classic 50/50. Or if you wanted that EVH Preamp but didn't like the Peavey poweramp, you could use a Marshall Poweramp or Mesa Boogie 2:90 and so on.

A "head" has a preamp/power amp combination. So the Marshall JCM800 would look like this"

JCM 800 HEAD {Preamp + Poweramp} + Speaker(s)= ready to go.

EVH used to run the Preamp of his Soldano head into the Power amp section of his Magic Plexi, then out to a 4x12 cab. How's that for confusing!?

You cannot run a preamp without a poweramp and get sound out of a speaker cabinet. You can plug into a poweramp directly (w/ a speaker connected) but it will sound like poop.

Later

mk5
    Last edited by mk5; 01.17.05 at 02:05 PM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?