Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:14 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Got my Variax 500 - 1st impressions & 1st recording

I got my new Line 6 Variax 500 on Friday and I've been playing with it all weekend. I have to say I'm really happy with it so far. It took a bit of setting up, but the quality of construction is fine and it plays really well. BUT - the sounds! I's tried one in a store and listened to lots of on line audio clips, but I'm still amazed at how close this thing sounds to the guitars it models. I've put together a little country rock tune to test out some of the sounds - http://www.stuartneville.co.uk/testvariax.mp3 (4MB).

All the stringed instruments on this, with the exception of the bass, are the Variax. On the left channel is a Martin D28 and a Gibson Mastertone banjo. On the right channel is a Dobro Model 2 resonator and a Guild 12 string comes in after a few bars. The lead guitar parts are, in order, a Gibson 335, a Fender Telecaster, a Gibson Les Paul Junior (with P90 pickup) and finally a Gibson ES175. All the electric models are through a Boss GX700 and the acoustic models are just DI'd.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the 500 the old variax or the new one?, I don't know an awful lot about them, How do you rate it? i've played a few of the old ones and although the guitar sounds are pretty accurate and wide i never thought thay played really well, is it just a case of setting it up?

I remember playing wanted dead or alive by bon jovi on the twelve string setting, i would buy one just for that purpose, trying to play it on an actual 12 string was hell!

I'll have a listen to your sound clip now, see how it sounds
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

welcome to the club! I have had mine for over a year and i really like it a lot. I suggest getting the Vetta II it really makes the guitar come alive.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    welcome to the club! I have had mine for over a year and i really like it a lot. I suggest getting the Vetta II it really makes the guitar come alive.
    I'm actually thinking of changing my GX700 to a Pod XT Live later in the year - I like the idea of being able to change sounds on the Variax with that.

As regards the playability - Looking around on the net, it seems Line 6 have a problem with the quality of fretting and general set up on these guitars. It's a shame, because everything else on the guitar is very good. The neck is a good chunky piece of maple with a nice thick slab of rosewood, and the guitar has a good solid feel to it overall. It irks me a little bit to then have to take into it with a boat stone and a needle file to sort out some uneven frets and a poorly cut nut. Bottom line I think is if you can't tackle it yourself, investing in a good setup from a decent luthier would make all the difference. Mine now plays very well.

I haven't been playing so much this last few months since I broke my left hand in an accident around October time, but I've been playing almost constantly since I got this thing and my fingers hurt like hell!
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

if you do that let me know how that XT Live sounds...i sold my Vetta to my brother and was thinking about picking one of those up for the variax plug

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 62 Times in 31 Posts

Donor

Charvel2, that sounded fantastic! I really like direct recording to my PC, and I think you just steered me in the way of my next purchase. I haven't read too much about these yet, but I'm definitely gonna do some reasearch on the Variax guitar now.

One thing that seems to come up on the Harmony Central forums is the palm-muting issue. A lot of the reviewers claim it doesn't sound right on this guitar. What's your thoughts on this?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.10.15 @ 11:49 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    I have the Vetta I with the Vetta II software loaded into it and it's the best amp ever.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jcody5150
    One thing that seems to come up on the Harmony Central forums is the palm-muting issue. A lot of the reviewers claim it doesn't sound right on this guitar. What's your thoughts on this?
    I read that too, but I haven't experienced any problems with palm muting. Generally, it seems to as responsive as an ordinary guitar - pinch harmonics, muting, pick attack and dynamics all sound as you'd expect. One odd thing - it seems to interact with my preamp actually better than my other guitars. Maybe it's because the preamp's geting a cleaner signal with no noise.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Very tasty tune, Charvel2! Sounds very nice. I particularly enjoyed the different tones and styles of each solo. Yum, yum, brother. I take it you've been playing awhile? Very, very nice.