Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.21.05 @ 03:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What World Tour?

There is one thing that i have never understood about Van Halen. Why have they always disregarded touring Australia and to a lesser extent Europe for so long. A 25 year existence and to think the only time they came to Australia was in 1998 with Cherone. This is really a piss poor effort for one of the biggest rock bands ever.
    Take Motley Crue's latest comeback tour as an example of the correct ways to do things. 50 or so dates in North America than they're off to Europe, South America and than the tour concludes in Asia and Australia. 4 studio albums, 1 live album and 1 greatest hits album with Sammy, 6 tours and not one down under. Some bad management decisions have been made over the years.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 1,633 Times in 1,004 Posts

Donor

In Europe, they're not nearly as marketable or popular as the States (i.e., having to open for Bon Jovi), and Australia's a long trip for a couple dates in Sydney or Melbourne for what likely is a select group of Australian fans. It's mostly a business decision, probably, and not a preference (although hearsay has it that Sam and Alex don't like touring overseas). Still a bummer for non-American hardcore Van Halen fans, though.

Last Online

01.16.05 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When is the last time VH toured Europe? Balance tour?

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Van Halen on all 3 UK dates on the RHRN Tour........B'ham NEC was sold out (around 13000) and Wembley Arena (around 13000) was also. Sheffield Arena was around 95% sold-out......

Just Eddie's name can sell places out here (if marketed correctly). At the B'ham NEC which was the first UK date with Sammy EVER - I think the band were just about blown away by the volume / intensity of the crowd. The look on there faces at the end gave it away...they were spooked!

That gig was the most crushed I have ever been at ANY gig (I live just down the road from the NEC and have seen pretty much all of the heavy-weights including Metallica / AC/DC / Bon Jovi / DLR / Crue...the list goes on)......the intensity and anticipation was incredibe!

.....and they delivered! (RWTD / Little Guitars in Ed's solo / All Right Now....Mike nailed it / Unchained....).

Van Halen did not have to support Bon Joni on Balance - they could have toured the UK as a headline...........it sounds like our 'friend' Ray Daniels may have been instrumental here!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X
    Van Halen did not have to support Bon Joni on Balance - they could have toured the UK as a headline...........it sounds like our 'friend' Ray Daniels may have been instrumental here!
    I have no idea how much managers and promoters were involved or not in the decision to open for Jon Bon and Co., but there were certain indications it surely wasn't because Van Halen wanted to open for them. From Sam and Al's own comments, they were told BJ was bigger there, that in order to play the larger arenas over there they'd have to tag along with BJ...it'd been one thing to double-bill with them, switching off opening and closing duties, but i believe they always opened on that tour, and they weren't too pleased about a good amount of arenas in Europe not filling up until Bon Jovi came on after them (eek - the mere thought of Van Halen being perceived as a 'let's tailgate instead of checking out the opening band' sort of band is just boggling. LOL).

But hey, I'm not doubting the hearts of any Euro-based Van Halen fans, believe me...I'm just sayin, incredible as it seems, Bon Jovi seems to be bigger than Van Halen worldwide. I guess a lot of folks would say here in the U.S., as well. Pretty sure it's the pop sensibility, combined with the chick factor. I hope.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ball Jets
    When is the last time VH toured Europe? Balance tour?
    VH3 tour, but I'm not sure how many dates they actually played in Europe, but I do know they were over there.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 01.16.05 at 05:21 PM.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Australia's a long trip for a couple dates in Sydney or Melbourne for what likely is a select group of Australian fans.
    ...and yet plenty of other bands seem to be able to justify an Australian tour.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:46 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

In Europe, they're not nearly as marketable or popular as the States (i.e., having to open for Bon Jovi), and Australia's a long trip for a couple dates in Sydney or Melbourne for what likely is a select group of Australian fans. It's mostly a business decision, probably, and not a preference (although hearsay has it that Sam and Alex don't like touring overseas). Still a bummer for non-American hardcore Van Halen fans, though.
    I hardly think it will just be a couple of dates in Melbourne and Sydney.
    The 3 Tour went right across the country and if memory serves Goo said they even played in Tassie.
    One tour in 25 years is pathetic and to make things worse it was with Gary.
    Dave CanSing is on the money,how come other bands seem to cater for their fans down here?

Last Online

Donor

LOL...honest, I'm not trying to piss off any Aussie fans here. Just throwing out food for thought. Do I think Van Halen should neglect other countries when they tour? Hell, no. I'm just talkin' out loud, is all. Given Van Halen's own decreased fan base here on their home turf, it's only a small presumption that their draw on other continents might experience an even more dramatic decline. I'd hazard a guess they just don't think enough people would want to come and see them. Their marketing people obviously do not do the same things as the Crue, Bon Jovi, or possibly the remaining few hard rock eighties bands still touring here and there. They had their share of touring difficulties last year in filling American venues, and I have little doubt they all need to be getting along pretty good, as well as keepin' it together individually, to head out on a full world tour. That said, here's hoping they make that happen. I'd expect a big part of the draw in touring Australia is touring Australia, right?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:46 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Mate,I'm not pissed at what your saying,I'm just pissed at the situation.
    There is easily enough frustrated VH fans down here for them to get crowds and make a success out of a tour.That being said just like in your neck of the woods it isn't like the old days when they would have them hanging from the rafters.
    Sam did say he would be back to our shores when The Waboritas played out here so I don't think he is that opposed to travel.Maybe we will get The Wabos down here sometime this year,who knows?

Last Online

Donor

Bomb, I hear ya...we already know we'll be seeing Sam and the Wabos before we see Sam and the Brothers Grimm.

It's cool...Sam, Vic, Mona and Dave put on a fuckin' great show. Looking forward to Tahoe already, myself.

But still awaiting news of a rumored world-ending mind blowing long awaited Physical Graffiti-like 11th album drudged up from the bowels of 5150...
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 01.16.05 at 09:05 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody get me a Doctor!
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 02:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, here is where I drop in a say a little word. I am very connected to RCP which is a company in Sydney that helps with touring acts. Heard of Chris Issacs and Fleetwood Mac?, those were our shows.

The managment of Van Halen have been talking to three promotors in Oz already. The dates come always last in these talks. What is always first in the money and how the hell are they going to sell out a venues. In 1998 the tour was well supported but fell short of expecatation $$$ wise. In short, they lost dough. Merchandise was poor, tickets prices too high and local production support was expensive. As well, there is the local tax laws to worry about. (Thank you Bob Carr.. you shit head) In 1998, the spirit was willing but the support was weak. The problem the band have is the fact they gave themselves zero exposure here in the 1970's and early 80's. Van Who? was the cry by many as many DJ's in Oz and local music video shows were not rotating the clips. (a bucketing for Warners Australia who did jack all.) Do you recall seeing Van Halen on "Countdown" my aussie brothers? What they should have done is a "Dire Straits". In 1985 they played a record of 25 sold out shows were in a 13,000 set arena Why did this happen? Simple really, Dire Straits toured her in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982 and played small venues at first and then got bigger. A ground swell grew and then went huge in 1985. Do Van Halen deserve to sell out a venue like the Superdome? No, Can they? Maybe. Will there be enough fans to justify a four city, 2 show program? No. Why? They didn't do enough in the early days to justify the scale they want now. Christ, Nirvana played a 500 seat venue in March 1991 and then a 13,000 seat later that year.

I want Van Halen here like many fans, but we will miss out unless they decide to take a loss OR scale down the venues. If the Rolling Stones can play the Enmore theatre in Sydney, (430 seats...we did this one too) then we shall see them here.
    The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

LOL...honest, I'm not trying to piss off any Aussie fans here. Just throwing out food for thought.
    Sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you. I'm with Bomber here, I'm pissed at not being able to see VH.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sphill
    In 1998 the tour was well supported but fell short of expecatation $$$ wise. In short, they lost dough. Merchandise was poor, tickets prices too high and local production support was expensive. As well, there is the local tax laws to worry about.
    I can't work this out. I'm not doubting what you are saying, but the Adelaide show would've been 95% full. I don't know about the other states, but really what were the band expecting?

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave CanSing
    Sorry mate, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you. I'm with Bomber here, I'm pissed at not being able to see VH.
    No worries, bud. I'd be pissed too. Given the way this band behaves for the most part, it might be in your best interests to stash some cash away and hop on over here the next time they rear their heads from underground. If they do, that is.