Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sharing Printers

Does anyone know how to share printers within a home network?

I have successfully connected my lap top via a wireless card and I have a printer connected to the gateway computer. So I'm sharing internet connection but how to a share my printer? Anyone know?

Thanks

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I need to know also! We just got the laptop....... but want to use the printer already set up.
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

The printer has to be set up as 'shared' on the primary PC, then on the secondary PC, you have to point it at the name of the primary PC as if it were the print server.

Ex: \\primary PC name\printer model
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    The printer has to be set up as 'shared' on the primary PC, then on the secondary PC, you have to point it at the name of the primary PC as if it were the print server.

Ex: \\primary PC name\printer model
    can you elaborate? particularly what to do with the secondary. like how to do i know the address of the printer?

THANKS!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MASHAGAR
    Does anyone know how to share printers within a home network?

I have successfully connected my lap top via a wireless card and I have a printer connected to the gateway computer. So I'm sharing internet connection but how to a share my printer? Anyone know?

Thanks
    What OS are you using on the computer hooked to the printer? You must install Client for Microsoft Network for most windows OS, then go to your printers in control panel and right-click properties of the computer and find Sharing. You must also install drivers when you hook up to it. If you are having trouble connecting with the computer's name //computername/printer your WINS is not working, but find the IP of that computer and use that to connect, knowing the correct printer name. IPCONFIG from the RUN prompt on the host will tell you the internal IP IE: //192.168.0.1/HP540

The key to getting it to work is the correct path, or browse to that shared printer - but none of that will work unless you set up Client For Microsoft Networks in the properties of that network card, then right-click that printer and Share.

You can also share it over the internet so we all can print to your printer. Got Paper??

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    What OS are you using on the computer hooked to the printer? You must install Client for Microsoft Network for most windows OS, then go to your printers in control panel and right-click properties of the computer and find Sharing. You must also install drivers when you hook up to it. If you are having trouble connecting with the computer's name //computername/printer your WINS is not working, but find the IP of that computer and use that to connect, knowing the correct printer name. IPCONFIG from the RUN prompt on the host will tell you the internal IP IE: //192.168.0.1/HP540

The key to getting it to work is the correct path, or browse to that shared printer - but none of that will work unless you set up Client For Microsoft Networks in the properties of that network card, then right-click that printer and Share.

You can also share it over the internet so we all can print to your printer. Got Paper??
    I have no idea what you just said but I got it working anyhoo.

I first found the printer on the primary PC, right clicked it and selected properties. In there I opted to share it with other computers on the network. It did its thing all fine.

Then I went to add a printer on the secondary. I have XP on both BTW. While adding a new printer you can select add a printer on a server. Then I told it to browse for the printer since I didn't understand the location. Then it pulled up the network and then under that the primary PC, and then under that the printer. So I selected that one. Then it told me I had to install a driver. It did its thing and added it successfully!

WOOHOO!

Thanks everyone

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake
    I need to know also! We just got the laptop....... but want to use the printer already set up.
    So that explains it....and I had this mental picture of you and hubby being all romantic-like, sitting together and sharing the computer......

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK so now I have to ask how does one share files on the network? lol

I put the files and folders I wanted to be shared in the SHARED DOCUMENTS folder and I even went into the properties of these folders and selected to have them shared. So now what? I'm not seeing anything being shared between the computers.

Thanks ahead of time, again!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASHAGAR
    OK so now I have to ask how does one share files on the network? lol

I put the files and folders I wanted to be shared in the SHARED DOCUMENTS folder and I even went into the properties of these folders and selected to have them shared. So now what? I'm not seeing anything being shared between the computers.

Thanks ahead of time, again!

If you want to set that up as a 'drive' on your other pc just right click on 'my computer and select 'map network drive' once that window pops up, assign it a drive letter and then type the path to the shared folder. ie //192.168.0.1/shared documents and then click finish. Make sure you click the checkbox next 'reconnect at logon' so every time you boot the pc up it will connect to that shared folder.

or

Go to my network places and view workgroup computers and browse till you see your primary computer where the shared documents are open the folder there.

Later,
    Dave

later,
    Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie

Quote Originally Posted by Stidham
    If you want to set that up as a 'drive' on your other pc just right click on 'my computer and select 'map network drive' once that window pops up, assign it a drive letter and then type the path to the shared folder. ie //192.168.0.1/shared documents and then click finish. Make sure you click the checkbox next 'reconnect at logon' so every time you boot the pc up it will connect to that shared folder.

or

Go to my network places and view workgroup computers and browse till you see your primary computer where the shared documents are open the folder there.

Just to enhance some of Phatie's & Stidham's info:

XP makes it easiest (the following information is mostly for XP):

To find the IP, you can do Start/Run/CMD to shell out to a DOS prompt, then type ipconfig. You can also get the IP address by right-clicking on "My Network Places" (if you have it on your desktop) and choose "Properties". This will take you to your Network Connections screen. There you can right-click on either your "Local Area Connection" (for cabled connections) or "Wireless Network Connection" (for wireless connections) and choose "Status", then go to the "Support" tab - your IP information will be there.

To find another computer you can either go into "My Network Places" and then choose "Entire Network" or "View Workgroup Computers". If choosing "Entire Network", you may then next have to choose "Microsoft Windows Network". You can also click on "Search" and search for the computer you want to connect to either by it's name or IP address. Double click on the computer once you find it and you should see all shared folders and/or printers - right click on the printer you want and choose "Connect" or right click on the shared folder you want and click "Map Network Drive". Select the drive letter you want to map it to and choose "Reconnect at Login" if you want to maintain a connection to that drive after further reboots.

One other note - if you are running a firewall such as Zone Alarm or using the Windows firewall, you have to give the computers "permission" to view each other. I had to put the IP address of my router into Zone Alarm so that my wife could see the printer on my PC. If you are using Windows XP, I think you just have to make sure that "File And Printer Sharing" is on the Exceptions list (go to Network Connections, right click on either your "Local Area Connection" or your "Wireless Network Connection" and choose properties. Go to the "Advanced" tab for your Firewall settings
    Last edited by billy007; 01.16.05 at 08:37 AM.