Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drum set suggestions...again!

Hey everyone, I had asked what would be a reasonable set of drums for my 5 year old and had some good suggestions, BUT with the board going down, those suggestions are gone and I, unfortunately, didn't save the sites you had suggested. My son's 6th birthday is coming up on May 21st and we do plan to buy him a set for his birthday.

I remember Tama being suggested, but what else and do you have sites for purchasing these sets? I wanna spend around $300 to $400 or somewhere thereabouts. This will be a set he will probably have until he is around 12 or so then we will go nuts and get him a really nice set. Thank you for helping me out again! I promise to save the sites this time!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

08.10.11 @ 06:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Executionor
    Hey everyone, I had asked what would be a reasonable set of drums for my 5 year old and had some good suggestions, BUT with the board going down, those suggestions are gone and I, unfortunately, didn't save the sites you had suggested. My son's 6th birthday is coming up on May 21st and we do plan to buy him a set for his birthday.

I remember Tama being suggested, but what else and do you have sites for purchasing these sets? I wanna spend around $300 to $400 or somewhere thereabouts. This will be a set he will probably have until he is around 12 or so then we will go nuts and get him a really nice set. Thank you for helping me out again! I promise to save the sites this time!
    Is that 3-400 for just the kit or the EVERYTHING?

I'd suggest looking in local paper/trading post first You can get some good deals there.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, used is your best bet. I bet you could get a used Tama Swingstar, Pearl Forum, Yamaha YD, Ludwig Accent, Mapex V, Sonor 1001, etc. with Zildjian ZBTs, Sabian B8s, Paiste 502s, etc. for around $400. About the only thing you could get new would be something like THIS - not terrible, but not the same quality as a major manufacturer.
    One thing to keep in mind is size. My 6 year old isn't big enough to comfortably play my kit. You might try to find a jazz kit for your son. It will have smaller drums - 20" kick (instead of 22"), 10" 12" 14" toms (instead of 12" 13" 16"), possibly a 13" snare (instead of 14").
    BTW, good for you for encouraging your kids budding musicianship.
    Last edited by P1; 02.08.05 at 09:42 AM.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the suggestion P1. I was looking around that site u gave and found this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/449293/

I was told last time that this had good basic hardware that could be built on. A little more $, but what the heck. Is this kit too large for him do u think? I am completely ignorant to this stuff, but I am willing to expose them to the opportunity to play whatever they want.

For anyone wanting this sort of thing, my eldest son (8) is learning piano/keyboard and here is a great site for beginning music and it is free!

http://www.pitt.edu/~deben/freebies.html

This is, of course, for beginners on the piano, but it is a start!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

--Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Stagestar should be good quality-wise. And it's size should be about perfect for a 6-10 year old, but it might be a little small for anyone older than that. By 10 or so he should be big enough for a full size kit. And I know just the kit he would need:

"You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EEK!!! I tell ya though, I have been to a bunch of concerts and have seen tons of drum setups, and know very little about them other than looks wise, but the coolest one I have ever seen was Eric Carr's of KISS way back when. That thing was a monster! R.I.P. Eric

--Will Rogers

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.06.08 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry to be off topic a little but check it out....

I'm looking for a drumset to, but not for a 5-10 year old. I'm looking for set to help complete my home recording studio, and drums are my next purchase. Right now i gots it down to two kits.

1) Sonor Force - 3005- full maple 5 piece kit (new for 2005) for 1200 dollars(canadian)---- an all maple kit for 1200, this is insane!!!!

2) Taye- Rockpro 6 piece kit for 1000 bucks. hmmm all maple kit for 200 more?? seems like a no brainer

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know much about Taye kits - I've heard good things, but I've never got my hands on one - but Sonor makes good stuff. Out of those two, I would go with Sonor. You might also want to consider Mapex Ms/Pro Ms (all maple), Pacific CX/MX/LX (all maple) and Tama Superstars (birch/basswood). They are all in the same price range as the Sonors for a 5 or 6 piece kit.
    FWIW, birch kits are often prefered for recording while maple kits are often prefered live.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I LOVE SONOR DRUMS! They are great all around. The drummer from one of my bands (Deuce; 89-91) used to be sponsored by Sonor. Also, my favorite drummer in the world (my friend Karl Lindgren) plays a Sonor set. What a great sound!

Go Sonor!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default GOT a new KIT

Just picked up my new SONOR Force 3005 full maple 5 piece kit last night This kit looks amazing and has what they call an Autumn gloss finish. It has a darker fade going into a light maple colour.

The configuration of the drums is 10", 12", 16", 22". The Bass drum is really punchy and I was impressed by that the most. For cymbals I got a K high-hat and a sabian 14" crash. (all I can afford for now)

Hardware is really sturdy. Overall I don't think I could have got a better kit for the money. It does not look like an entry level kit. It's in the same price range as Tama superstars and pearl export EXR kits.

I think i need a new skin for the snare though, this factory one is lacking in my opinion. Other than that, a damn fine kit.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool VM, sounds nice. It doesn't look like an entry level kit because it's not an entry level kit, not IMO anyway. I'd say it's an upper mid level kit - you should be able to gig with it and record it and not have any problems. Sonor does make great stuff. All you need now is a nice ride (may I suggest a Paiste Signature Dry Heavy Ride) and probably another (bigger) crash.
    Got any pics?

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx P1, I'm happy with em so far. My intention is to use them for recording my own ideas (I'm a guitar player, but i wanna be able to lay down tracks- kinda like Lenny Kravitz I guess) and I want my own home recording studio

I do have a question though, if you got a sec to answer, or whoever; What is proper way to tune drums? Do the top and bottom heads have to be the same pitch? Will buying replacement heads make a big difference in sound?

ANyway here's some pics- hope ya like em--

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beautiful kit VM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    What is proper way to tune drums? Do the top and bottom heads have to be the same pitch? Will buying replacement heads make a big difference in sound?
    Tuning both heads to the same pitch will give you the most resonance - that's how I tune my drums. But that may or may not be the sound you want. By tuning one head higher than the other (usually the reso is higher in pitch than the batter), you get a downward pitch bend or "bow" sound. It's really just a matter of experimenting and finding the sound you like best. THIS is a great website all about drums and tuning. It's a lot of info to take in, but it's very detailed and useful.
    Generally with lower and mid level kits, the stock heads a pretty much crap. They don't have to be replaced immediately, but good heads (and good tuning of course) will make a big difference. Remo, Evans and Aquarian are the main drumhead manufacturers. I've found Aquarian to have the best quality control and customer service followed Evans, then Remo. But any of the 3 should give you good results. FWIW, I would probably first try unmuffled 2 ply batters (Aquarian Response 2s, Evans G2s, Remo Emperors) over single ply resos (Classic Clears, G1s, Ambassadors) on the toms. That's kind of a middle of the road setup. Then if your toms are too ringy, next time you can try muffled 2 ply batters or if they're too dead, try single ply batters. For the bass drum, the Aquarian Super Kick II and Regulator is by far the best kick head combo, IMO. It makes my kick sound like a cannon. There are so many snare heads out there that it's hard to recommend one, but I can tell you that the coated Ambassador has been the industry standard for decades. My favorite is the Aquarian Focus X (also the Evans Genera Dry). Also, make sure you get a "snare side" head for your snare reso. They are thinner than regular heads to increase snare response.
    Sorry for the long post!

Favorite VH Album

Balance-F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I checked out that site, and professor sound knows his stuff. There's so much info there to take in. well I know what a batter head is now, and I realize how important the resonance head is to the tuning of the drum.

I'm thinking of trying out those Evans heads you mentioned for the snare and 10" tom, but the snare for sure. I'm finding it too bright. I've been checking out the Remo and Evans websites. I was looking for the remo UT skins that are the factory ones that are on the kit, and its seems they don't exist as an actual remo product.

I didn't realize how finiky drums are to tune... tweak and play, tweak and play.

thanx for the advice, it's been helpful.

Last Online

01.26.12 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Murphenstein
    I didn't realize how finiky drums are to tune... tweak and play, tweak and play.
    And depending on humidity...tweak and play and tweak and play some more. So glad I switched to electric!

If you want a good resource for drumming, I like this website:
    http://drumbum.com/lessons/
    "There is no racial bigotry here...Each of you is equally worthless!" --Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, Full Metal Jacket

"I'm not a rock star, I'm a musician. And I'll be damned if someone is gonna tell me what comes through me is not what they expected." -Eddie Van Halen

"I tell ya, I've been doing this for about 20 years now, and I still haven't figured out which is the right drumstick and which is the left drumstick." -Alex Van Halen