OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Default College Hockey fans?? Anyone??

I wonder if anyone here follows college hockey? Maybe some of you who normally wouldn't are since the NHL is on lockout.

I'm in my 9th year as a season ticket holder for Boston University. I've really enjoyed the opportunity to watch tomorrow's NHL locked-out stars develop their skills at the college level. I remember watching Mike Grier his freshman year at BU - he was big and tough, but he could barely skate. By the time his was a junior he was ready to forego his senior year and head to the NHL. Chris Drury is by far the most skilled player I've seen come through BU.

There are six division I NCAA hockey conferences, but two of those are expansion, and the competition there isn't as good as it is in the main four - Hockey East, ECAC, WCHA, and CCHA.

The best website on college hockey is http://www.uscho.com.

If no one's interested in college hockey talk, no problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Nobody is interested in this Sas, don't ever do it again. I'm closing this!

Nah man, since the college teams around me suck, I don't really get to see many teams. Whenever games are televised, or when I'm doing some reading, I always like to see what Boston U, and Vermong are doing. Michigan Tech has a good program too if I remember correctly. We have a few Flyers that went the college hockey route, and I wish more kids that made it to the NHL would do the same. It's cool to go to Juniors too, but it's also great to get a great education while you're at it. If I remember correctly I know Roenick went to BU, but left after his first year. Couldn't handle the classes he said. Tony Amonte attended BU I believe, and John LeClair is probably the most famous Univ. of Vermont player in the NFL right now.

College hockey is great, I just wish it would get televised more than it does, but sometimes I'm able to catch games on CN8 and ESPN2 here in Philly.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah, college hockey suffers from exposure. DirecTV viewers can catch the game of the week on Friday nights. People in the New England region can see games on NESN. I know Fox Sports North carriers Univ. of Minnesota games. I'm sure other regional Fox Sports Net stations carry games. NCAA hockey is definitely a regional sport.

As for the players you mentioned, Roenick went to U. Maine for a year, not BU. Our most famous one-year wonder is Keith Tkachuck, who played on a line with Tony Amonte and Shawn McEachern (imagine that line). I believe Amonte left after that year as well, as a sophomore.

You are right about John LeClair. Another current Vermont Catamont alum in the NHL is. Martin St. Louis.

I was just looking at the Flyers roster on nhl.com. Freddie Meyer, defenseman, played at BU from 1999 - 2003. He was very good at BU.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

JR went to Maine huh? Didn't know that. I was thinkin he went to BU since he's from Boston and everything. I didn't know about Keith being there though, that's pretty cool. Tony, Keith and Shawn on one line? That's just fuckin sick!
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Oh yea, and Freddie can play a lil bit. He got a chance last year when we had some injuries, and he's got good poise for a young guy.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

I was unaware that JR went to Maine and I am a fan of both the Flyers and the Black Bears. His younger brother Trevor did go to Maine though.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Little Dreamer theeaterofshades's Avatar
    Last Online

09.23.10 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default UND Sioux

Hey,

I went to grad school at North Dakota and went to every Hockey game I could get to. Now, that I'm back in WI, PBS shows late night Friday and Saturday re-broadcasts of the Badger hockey games. Once in a while I'll catch a college game on FSN.

BTW The gophers suck! Go Sioux!
    Last edited by theeaterofshades; 01.14.05 at 05:01 PM.