Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default Why I dig VH, I finally remember

For the longest time the thought of VH made me think of infighting,LSD, Singer Bashing, Singer after singer coming and going..
    Dave Sucks , Sammy Sucks , Ed sucks yada yada

Then It struck me ... I was driving down the road listening to Diver Down (of all albums) and I found myself tapping my foot and smiling...
    Even that album w/ all those covers makes me feel good !! The band was fun !!! I have come to realize, I don't care about all the behind the scenes Bullshit anymore. I just dig this bands music .... popped Fair Warning in as well and once again it hit me. What great songs !! What an original sounding band ... I happen to love the original lineup , but it really doesn't even matter ... If the music makes you feel good, than it is good .. Simple as that

I truly wish the boys in the band could find a happy medium and get the ship headed back in that direction ...

ps Big Bad Bill/is Sweet William Now - captures some of the "magic" the original lineup had ( I don't care that it's a cover)... It shows how versitile and talented this group was and is... It shows another side of the band thinking outside the box ... bravo VH ... Please go back to focusing on the music for the music's sake !! tha'ts my 2cents

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Big Bad Bill gets a lot of unfair criticism...it's a great diddy. So is Could This Be Magic...I love the bluesy black oak fandango tunes...sometimes it's okay if Ed isn't slammin' cyclone electric, and just tinkerin' acoustic...

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I know exactly what you mean. As a stay-at-home mom, I don't get to play VH loudly too often. My favorite times are when I am alone in the car, and I can just CRANK IT!

Right now, I can't get enough of Cradle, Unchained, and Humans Being. I just play those three songs over and over SUPER LOUD - so I can't even hear myself singing along. Those songs kick ass! And when you can just listen to the songs you love, all the soap-opera crap just goes away. At least for a little while!

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

I think the magic ingredient is that Van Halen music, at least most of it, "swings." It's unique and instantly recognizable. I honestly feel that's what was lacking in these three new tunes, they just didn't "swing." I mean even the harder, grittier stuff makes you stomp your feet. I find VH music brings out my emotions, whether it be tension, compassion, frustration, joy, anger, etc......I guess all great music does that for me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

That is what VH is all about, inspiring us to have better days.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Well, the interet is bittersweet like that, without it, we wouldn't have the 'up to the minute' news on these guys and all the behind the scenes info from the likes of VAN FAN and 9on10scale.....word of a possible reunion, then the update on van-halen.com......then the first listen to "It's about Time" months before it's actual release, right here on the links!

BUT.....with the internet we also get all the behind the scenes info that, in the past, we never would have known or needed to know, for example the incident at the last show (Ed smashing guitar) would have been in the local paper or MAYBE a picture would have made it to a rock magazine......but with the internet, we got reports, digital pictures from cell phones, etc... just minutes after it happened, then the shitstorm, 100 something pages of replies, theories, fights, apologies, emotions......you name it.... those kinds of things along with the slamming on Sam, Dave, Ed, Al, Gary and even Mikey.....(no..NOT MIKEY!) make it a bit more complicated to be a Van Halen fan in 2005. It adds ingredients to the mix that weren't a factor a few years ago.

I guess when it's all said and done, all that matters is that feeling you get when you put on the headphones and crank the drill opening on "Poundcake", or on that first warm day in spring when you can drive with the windows down and blast "Hot For Teacher" letting the world know:

Fuck yeah people.... it's Van Halen

Last edited by Greenpaw; 01.14.05 at 01:24 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.22.06 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Big Bad Bill gets a lot of unfair criticism...it's a great diddy. So is Could This Be Magic...I love the bluesy black oak fandango tunes...sometimes it's okay if Ed isn't slammin' cyclone electric, and just tinkerin' acoustic...
    Since we're all coming out the closet here, I love listening to "Happy Trails". It's nice to hear them having fun. Too bad it's gone the way it has but everything runs it's course.

"Could This be Magic" is a great tune, IMO. How many rock bands attemp the kind of stuff VH has done over the years? They used to be fun...

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Ahh, the world is a great place with VH in it. There are some days when you just need a "fix" of the master at work. Sometimes it can take hours because first you start with one song, then the whole album, then another album and another and another........before you know it, the better part of the day or night is gone. To fully appreciate the greatness that is Van Halen, one must first listen to all of the music at the proper level (cranked all the way and then some). Always enjoy reading the posts here and everyone's opinions on the soap opera that is Van Halen. Watching the live without a net dvd and seeing the energy and enthusiasm during the New Halen show was amazing. Made me start reading some of my old Circus and Creem mags from way back when. The interviews, pictures and quotes from DLR are so "Dave." Remembering the first time I heard Eruption, Runnin w/the Devil and Fools, then hearing the mighty sounds of Edward at the start of the 81 Oakland concert are priceless to me. Then the drama of 1984 when the soap started up. Then seeing them come roaring back once again after I thought it was all over for them absolutely made my year, especially after so many years of deafening silence and waiting. As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. It is impossible to pick just one album from them, let alone one song. I love 'em all!! Who could ever forget why we love em so much???? The mighty VH - always imitated, but never duplicated.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

IMO, people put Diver Down down (lol) way too much. So what if they're covers? They're good songs. If all you care about is artists writing 100% of their material, well, I guess Elvis, Sinatra, Waylon (my man), George Jones, and countless other country and rock artists were just untalented hacks, eh? I couldn't care less about the "covers" factor -- they're just great songs and, for what it's worth, we all know VH were capable of writing songs at that time... so I don't see what the big deal is.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Ditto...all of you! It's not just music, it's Van Halen.
    If you want to listen to music, crank some AC/DC, Boston,
    .38 Special etc...

Van Halen is more than just music to us here.
    We may not be able to put a finger on why. Who says
    we have to explain why...it just is. That's all.

Could This be Magic? You're damn right it is.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Casemeister
    IMO, people put Diver Down down (lol) way too much. So what if they're covers? They're good songs. If all you care about is artists writing 100% of their material, well, I guess Elvis, Sinatra, Waylon (my man), George Jones, and countless other country and rock artists were just untalented hacks, eh? I couldn't care less about the "covers" factor -- they're just great songs and, for what it's worth, we all know VH were capable of writing songs at that time... so I don't see what the big deal is.
    Agreed...Diver gets a lotta slack unjustly. Covers, shmuvvers, who cares? Where Have All the Good Times Gone is awesomely VH. And I'll say it again, the originals alone are powerhouse tracks...as in, would've I bought a mini EP with just those 4 tunes on some kinda mini album for the same price as the others? You betcha.

Then again, me and my pal Steve were talkin' about Diver just last week, and what if they had skipped cutting DD before touring, archived the instrumentals and covers (minus Cathedral, that MUST be on a released LP), and how maybe if those 4 original DD tunes landed on '84 and bumped "lesser" tunes (i say this with utmost hesitance, as there are few '84 trax sufficiently defined as lesser) like the 1984 instrumental, Jump, and I"ll Wait...gawd, what a roaring album that woulda been for Dave to sign out on...not that '84 needs any more gas than it already has. (I can't stand Jump...never could, even before it was a major decades old radio hit).

Still, fun to think about...

Cathedral
    The Full Bug
    Panama
    Little Guitars
    Top Jimmy
    Drop Dead Legs
    Hot for Teacher
    Secrets
    Girl Gone Bad
    Hang 'Em High
    House of Pain

Yeah, I know, production style and sound differed dramatically between those two LPs, but eliminating the so-called 'fluff' on both LPs, combining the red meat, woulda been a POWER album...it could've rivaled Fair Warning. And from me, that's saying something.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Chiming in for the defense of Diver Down....I remember wearing the cassette down when I first got it at age 15. I played the hell out of it, primarily "Little Guitars". It has many gems on it, even if they are covers. "Dancing in the Streets" is a fuckin FUN tune!

DD was a great example of how Halen was simply the party to be seen at.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

I must have played Diver Down about 5 times this week... The sound of the band was still very classic VH and that is what drives me to love the band. I don't have a damn thing against Van Hagar, it just doesn't move me like Classic VH. And to be quite honest, it really sucks that the boys couldn't have gotten it worked out just one more time to "take the show on the road".
    But that's a whole other story .... It is still great to be able to pop in a VH disc and say "hell yeah" !!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

could this be magic kicks ass!

u gotta hear me n max singin it

Last Online

03.19.05 @ 01:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i can reemember like it was yesterday.....

cruisin' down I 75..on my way to Detroit to see VH on the F.U.C.K tour. Jammin' Poundcake as loud as it would go!!!

Good times!!!! it is all about the good time, no matter what album you like the most!!
    Last edited by ebmmquilt; 01.15.05 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo
    Rock 'N Roll Never Forgets.....

EBMM EVH Quilt top
    '79 LP Custom Silverburst
    '97 Ace Frehley LP Custom
    '86 USA Kramer Baretta
    #708 Wechter Pathmaker Acoustic