Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 552 Times in 332 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Battlestar Galactica/Caprica Thread

Series premiers tonight on Sci Fi at 9pm. Will be on Fridays at 10 after this.

Yippeee!!!! I saw the mini-series/movie last year, and again when they just replayed it last weekend on I think NBC. It's been on Sci Fi this past week too, I caught the end of it the other night.

Yes, I'm a geek. I have the original series DVD's, I loved that show. This one is MUCH darker, more adult. I like it. Liked the movie more the second time I saw it, once I got the original series out of my head.

I'll be glued to the TV, I just hope it lives up to what it can be.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude-
    Last weekend, I got to watch the first 8 episodes-its VERY VERY good! You
    WON'T be disappointed! MUCH better than the original series...Red43J
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

im really worried..i try and try to get into the sci fi channel because i love science fiction...but im always disappointed...and b-galactica was one of my favs from the past...i dont want to be dissapointed on this one....
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Gonna have to call Mom in Texas to tape this thing for me. I don't get Sci-Fi, but I got the movie on DVD for X-mas.

If the series is as good as the four-hour(!) movie......holy shit.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

im really worried..i try and try to get into the sci fi channel because i love science fiction...but im always disappointed...and b-galactica was one of my favs from the past...i dont want to be dissapointed on this one....
    Dude, if you are a fan of the original movie and series, don`t watch it, they should be shot for putting this thing out, it is a total disgrace..

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You will love it. It is so much better than the original series. The old original series was great for what it was, but this new series has its very own feel.

The original series had a silly silly side to it. I think that if the human race was annihalated, it would be a more serious atmosphere, exactly like the one in the new series.

Don't misread what I wrote though, I loved the original series too. I just like the new direction this one is going. You can like both.

I am anxious tonight to see it.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I Saw the pilot on NBC last week, it was pretty good. I may catch the show, it depends on what else I have to do. I like the tone of the new series, more urgent and dark and I like that some of the Cylons look like hot chicks.

If you compare the new one with the origonal you can see just how much t.v. and special effects technology have changed. The origonal is very late 70's with the hair and the clothes as well as the set design. More black people on the 70's Gallactica though. The origonal had more strengths though, you got to see Rick Springfield die in the pilot and the series had a young Jane Seymore, which is just so hot.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 552 Times in 332 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I LOVED that first series when I was a kid. In fact, I made my wife go buy me the complete series DVD set for Christmas last year, and sat and watched them all twice. I was a HUGE fan. But it was a pretty damn campy show.

That said, I enjoyed the 4 hour new movie they did, but wasn't 100% sold, it was just too different. Until I saw it a second time. Once I was able to differentiate the two, and get used to the differences, the second one got a lot better in my mind on its own merits. It's MUCH darker, the characters have major flaws, aren't as "super hero-ish" as the original cast, etc. In fact, on the second viewing, I think the new one is teriffic. The big complaint I have is that the battle scenes are too chaotic to really follow that well. But that's what they're going for.

As I said, I will be glued to the TV on Friday nights for this.

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I heard that NBC might be taking this show over from the Sci-Fi Channel.

Last Online

02.08.16 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Great show! Loved the original but the new series is very dark with a lot better actors and better writing. The show is shot very well also . I have already seen up to episode 11 for this year. Killer show. my fav other then Carnivale.

The new hot lilttle Asian Boomer could so get it!!!!!!!

Much American Critic-Love For Ronald Moore's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!

The Hollywood Reporter says:

For character-driven, hard-edged science fiction, the return of "Battlestar Galactica" can't be beaten. Where the original series cruised in with campy derring-do, this re-imagining of the franchise is "space noir," with actors playing it for high, realistic stakes. Old fans of the series may be a mite disappointed at the changes, but this fast-paced, tense and dramatic hourlong has plenty of choice rewards for viewers and upholds the smart promise of the 2003 miniseries. … The visuals and sound effects are extremely cool, with spaceships rendered as both sleek and dangerous, and the noises of fast-moving fighter ships toned down from the high-pitched whines of the original series. Characters Lee "Apollo" Adama (Jamie Bamber), who is the commander's son; Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff); and Colonel Tigh (Michael Hogan) are all generously dysfunctional and fun to follow.
    Variety says:

Niftily picking up where the 2003 miniseries left off, the new franchise provides solid storytelling … Those who don't frequent Internet chat rooms have missed much of the off-screen drama surrounding "Galactica's" voyage, with plenty of overheated bleating from fans of the original that has gone a long way toward giving sci-fi nerds a bad name. Fortunately, producers of the new show have mostly tuned out the static and stuck to their guns, crafting a very adult series whose principle shortcoming is being almost unrelentingly grim -- though not inappropriately so, given the subject matter. … in terms of top-notch sci-fi fare on a budget, this impressive new vessel flies well beyond its predecessor.
    The Los Angeles Times says:

… all of the characters and relationships are deepened in the new show. Far more serious in tone, Sci Fi's "BG" greatly improves upon the bad scripts and wooden acting of the original show (which, admittedly, is part of its charm for some people). The show could use a little more humor, and that may come as supporting players step into more prominent roles, but the first several episodes bode well for a series that should eventually win over fans, old and new.
    USA Today says:

Those looking for a more exciting space-adventure alternative to Enterprise should be thrilled by the series return of the hit miniseries Battlestar Galactica … revival of the late '70s show — considered camp now, and lousy then. There's nothing camp about this darker, smarter, morally ambiguous update, which again follows the survivors of a sneak Cylon attack as they try to save humanity and find Earth. … The show stresses the sex a little too aggressively, the better to pull in teen boys. Nevertheless, this promising show is more the heir to Farscape than the old Battlestar, which is all for the best.
    The Arizona Republic says:

… takes itself very seriously. It is the most ambitious science-fiction series since The Twilight Zone. … Friday's series opener is as compelling a piece of suspense and human drama as anything on the major networks. …
    The Boston Herald says:

… could end up being one of the best sci-fi television outings ever … An intelligent, attention-demanding, character-driven show, it marks a maturing of the sci-fi series genre. … it's the dense narrative and impressive cast that stand out. The episodes aren't neat little ``Trek'' allegories or tidy ``Stargate'' shoot-'em-ups. The series is more like a sci-fi ``The Big Red One,'' moving through the real and sometimes small emotions and personal interplay of life under close-quarters duress. Crises often play out over multiple episodes of the continuing story line. Sometimes this makes the pacing feel off and the tone flat - until an episode or two later you realize the story was building to some ingenious surprise. This is a show that takes its time and challenges its audience, which is as welcome as it is rare. …
    The San Jose Mercury News says:

… [the miniseries] caused a huge uproar among fans of the original who seemed to have forgotten just how bad the show was. … now back as a weekly series -- and quite a good one … far darker, a good deal scarier and a whole lot sexier than the original. … loaded with surprisingly strong stuff, including provocative takes on terrorism and the politics of genocide. The special effects are unexpectedly good. And the acting … is light-years better than in the original.
    Newsday says:

… the new version from producer Ronald D. Moore more than fulfills the promise of his miniseries smash of a year ago. … This is no video game …
    People Magazine says:

… there’s more than enough action to keep the show from getting preachy … Unfortunately, the Jan. 21 episode suffers from guest-star casting of Richard Hatch (Apollo in the ABC original), who seems rather rusty as a supposedly charismatic rebel. …
    The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says:

easily the best show the network has put on since "Farscape." … smart, deliberative drama … Two things make this series a vast improvement over the miniseries: Show runner Ron Moore and his writing staff now feel free to dig deeper into the characters, and the show's pace and tone, though still sometimes slow and somber by conventional standards, has been opened up and made more accessible. Lighter moments have been added and the show's scope has grown more epic ...
    Here’s what Ain’t It Cool’s Brit reviewers said about 1.1 back on Oct. 18:
    Battlestar Galactica 1.1 FAQ
    Where does it pick up from the mini-series?
    Apparently 118.5 hours after the mini-series left off. This has all been without sleep for the Galactica’s crew as the Cylons are continually chasing them – this is brilliantly outlined in the opening 5 minutes of the show; exactly 33 minutes after each faster than light jump the Cylons jump in again to harrass the convoy on its way. This is now the 237th jump that the convoy has made in a row and nerves are getting tattered.
    Is Gaius still hallucinating about the gorgeous 6?
    Oh yes – she’s still present and correct appearing both with the rest of the crew of Colonial 1, where Gaius currently is (but of course they can’t see her) and in scenes of Caprica in Gaius’s imagination. She apparently continues to maintain a neutral point of view in their discussions together which still leaves us undecided whether she is just part of his imagination or whether she did implant a chip in his brain, as suggested in the mini-series.
    His mental state seems even more erratic to the others especially when he hears that there is a doctor from the Defense Department amongst the survivors who wants to talk to the President about something he’s uncovered – about how the Cylons got through their defenses.
    Do we find out how many people are surviving in the convoy?
    50,298 but this number is dwindling; notably in an incident involving the carrier that this “doctor with information” is on which Gaius is both relieved and appalled about…

Like many I was a fan of the original at the time, yet if I am honest I can rarely sit through an entire episode nowadays, save for that one where Starbuck got stranded with a Cylon who eventually ended up friendly, Then got shot! I'd watch anything back in the 70's including 'Jason of Star Command' and in my humble opinion Battlestar hasn't aged too gracefully....hell, even that very fetching Cylon helmet DVD box set couldn't tempt me for longer than afew seconds in Virgin megastore recently!

At the beginning of the year I rather apprehensively sat down to watch parts 1 and 2 of the new re-envisioned Galactica, then showing on Sci-Fi I believe, and despite the reports that I had read (thanks Harry), found it to be thrilling and detailed if overlong and carrying 2-3 too many flat ideas for its own good. That said it was a pilot for the forthcoming show, and as I know little about the process of putting a series together, guessed that the mini was intended to allow room for feedback on concepts for the benefit of the later programmes.

Overall I found the decidedly downbeat and adult tone a welcome change from the current crop of sharp, witty self-referential scripts for shows popularised by Joss Wheddon et al, and have been looking forward to the return of the series for most of 2004.

http://www.skyone.co.uk/programmes/battlestar/

Suffice to say we start the episode afew days after the close of teh pilot, with the crews having to jump lightspeed every 33 minutes due to relentless regular Cylon attacks - they haven't slept for over 130 hours. Their are nods to the old series very apparent in the fleet and yes in this first episode we find ourselves on the planet 'Caprica' - although there appears to be no 70's cosmic disco there this time round. There is a new theme tune (but not the original orchestral march), and the show opens with a rapid-cut overview of the coming hours entertainment. Wisely '33' lays off on any major space combat - that was the pilots strong feature in my opinion and I can wait a while for a major face-off.

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=19133
    http://forums.fametracker.com/uploads/post-1-1098607146.jpg

Last Online

02.08.16 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FH
    I heard that NBC might be taking this show over from the Sci-Fi Channel.
    that could be a good move. should be easy bc NBC owns Si Fi.
    http://forums.fametracker.com/uploads/post-1-1098607146.jpg

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default The New Battlestar Galactica

Not to sound like a complete geek or anything but has anyone been watchin the new Galactica on SciFi? I personally have been glued to the TV since it came on this afternoon and so far, I really like it but the one thing that is throwing me off is how the cylons can look like the humans. That (to me) is really messed up.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Got a thread going on this already.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=23324
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by steveo56
    that could be a good move. should be easy bc NBC owns Si Fi.
    Hope so...I wanna see this thing and I don't feel like calling the cable company so I can pay an extra 40 bucks just for the Sci Fi channel.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    I Saw the pilot on NBC last week, it was pretty good.
    The version you saw was edited down to three hours from the four that are on the DVD. For 20 bucks, it was a damn good movie!!!! Almost wish they'd released it theatrically. The visuals are top-notch.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]