Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Default Carvin ?

Does anyone have any experience with Carvins custom shop ? Or Carvin in general ?

I'm thinking of having a guitar built but have never bought one without playing it first ! If someone could compare it to the Wolfgang , that would be real helpful !
    Thanks guys !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've got a C-66. It has a swamp ash body, quilted maple top, birdseye fingerboard, Floyd, etc. The build quality is excellent. Low action right out of the box. The guitar's neck is 1 11/16 vs the 1 5/8 of the Wolf. Not much difference in width, but still noticible. The neck is not as chunky as the Wolf's/EBMM's. It's very fast, but different.

Carvin is very good to work with. Very helpful in determining what options are available, what work, what don't, etc. They don't offer complete birdseye maple necks, just fretboards. The Floyds are recessed and routed for pull up as well.

I'd definitely recommend them as an alternative to the other guitars out there. Their 10 day no questions asked return policy takes away some of the fear of buying sight unseen.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I ordered a DC 400 lefty about 1-2 years ago. I chose this guitar after my search fot the best $1000 lefty out there. Carvin charges nothing extra for lefties.
    I was a little sceerd about buying any geetar by mail. Well I gotta say I was impressed. I ordered a DC 400 clear quilted, neck thru "V" neck,spezel tuners,trem,ab. inlays,active-passive ecectronics with rounded body. Came with a free case and a "snagg" chip that can be scanned if slolen. Book matched quilt looks sweet.Very well crafted guitar. The sustain is unreal. The Carvin Pick ups are similar to a PAF(to me?). I'm really liking the tuners.

The only thing I wish they would offer is Duncan or Dimarzio pickups as an option.
    The new CT6 is sweet!! Check it out if you haven't.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Cool thread, Lode, I've been wondering about Carvins as well. This may have sealed the deal for me. Sounds like it's worth a try.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I got my first Carvin back in '97 because of the lefty situation, they treat us like a regular person!

Anyways, I would recomend them in a second, the build quality is excellent, amazing bang for the buck! You need to call in your order though, there are a lot of cool option's available that are not mentioned on the web site or the catalog. A good idea is to create a user account for the message board on Carvin.com, and ask those guys what they recomend, there are so many little option's you can take, knowing what I know now I would do thing's very different when it comes to ordering a guitar from them. Plus they all post pictures of there new guitar's, that alone gives me cool ideas.

Watch out for the resale value, it's not good. They don't have the vibe that Gibson's and Fender's do for a lot of players, that alone kills the value of them after your purchase.

I have purchased the following from them (not a complete list):

SC90 (1997), classic sunburst, rounded edges, matching headstock, c22 humbuckers, ebony fretboard (all that was available at the time). $600.00

LB75 (2001), classic sunburst over quilted maple (or was it flamed), "P" style, ebony fretboard, matching headstock, active electronics, ebony fretboard, blah blah blah. $850.00 (didn't get to keep it)
    I broke the truss rod on this one, after owning the guitar for 2 years they did a factory re-build no question's asked. This is what they made me:

LB75 (2004), Clear gloss finish, matching headstock, birdseye maple fretboard, active electronics. $Free (that's how I look at it)

Amps:

All Tube MTS3200 w/412 slant cab, payed about $750.00 back in '98.
    I could never get used to this amp, but a lot of my friends thought it was the shit, especially for the price. It was to "buzzy" for my taste, but I also think Marshall amps are "buzzy", so evidently im a jackass.

RC815 Bass Amp(that may not be the actual name), the one they call "Cyclops", it's this crazy combo amp they make with a 600 watt (300/2) amp, 2 8 inch speakers, and one 15 inch speaker, all in one heavy ass package. It's easily one the nicest sounding combo's I have ever heard, but how the hell do you move this thing, it's beyond heavy (like 2 5150 combos) with the rare combonation of also being really awkward as well!

You may want to check out the in stock selection on the website, you can save some big bucks buying from there. They have a cool lefty bolt, Ruby Red over flaming maple (flame isn't that great though), all single coils, matching headstock (looks classy on this one), maple freteboard. It's $550.00 with the 10 day return policy, if I wanted to order one just like it it would be over $750.00, so there you go.

There also running a 50% off all option's and case's, and $100.00 off all guitars. That's a good ass deal if you ask me!

Hope this helps!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I got a bolt-on kit about 7 years ago. The guitar (after trading it away) has come back home. It plays great and the wood sounds great. However the H-S-S pups SUCKED. I fixed that with a coupla Duncan 59s. Now it is very sweet.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen,1984,Fuck,
    Favorite VH Song

LUTS,ddl,Amsterdam
    Last Online

03.24.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had a brief encouter with carvin, got a ready built kit guitar off Ebay, very nice guitar, pickups (single coils) had a nice tone, action was appalling tho, but you can always fix those things yourself i suppose
    "I talked to the cancer. I told the f*cker the party was over" - Eddie Van Halen

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman". - Homer Simpson

Favorite VH Album

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna be in L.A. next week. Is their showroom still there in Escondido? I'd love to go check em out!
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by patvh1
    I'm gonna be in L.A. next week. Is their showroom still there in Escondido? I'd love to go check em out!
    patvh1,
    Here are the stores listed at their site!...carvin stores
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Carvin

I know a couple of you dudes have Carvins. I bought a California Carved Top and their AC 275 (or is it 375?) thinline acoustic late last year...freakin' amazing!! Their amps are fantastic and their full body acoustics play beautifully...Anyone else thinking of buying Carvin? I can't rave enough about my stuff...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here is the Carvin gear I have purchased:

MTS 3200 W/412 Cab

1997 SC90 (Vintage Sunburst, Ebony board, strat style hard tale bridge)

2000 LB75 (Vintage Sunburst w/quilted maple top, Ebony board)

2002 LB75 (clear coat finish over alder, birdseye maple board w/black dots)

I don't own any of them currently but that's not because they suck. I recently sold just about everything I own just to change thing's up.

My one electric is a USA 2004 Telecaster.

My one bass is a 2005 CIJ Jazz Bass.

My one acoustic is a 2006 Martin D-15.

My one bass amp is an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro w/ Ampeg 210 HE & 410 HE cabs.

Im still looking for a decent guitar amp but im not sure what direction to go in. Right now im thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 30 head and the matching Peavey 212 cab.

Oh, I guess I have another electric as well, I have an Ibanez RG (470 I believe). I put an SD SH-8 in the bridge and took out the tone pot (just straight volume). Im planning on putting in a momentary button in the old volume postion just for the hell of it.

About Carvin, im thinking of getting this:

C-66 or Bolt Plus
    Only one knob (volume in the normal tone position)
    Clear coat over tiger maple
    Birdseye maple board with black dot's
    Holdsworth headstock (The single volume knob and Holdsworth headstock is a $50.00 up charge for each, and they take away the 10 day return policy, but I don't care).

I really wanted to do this with the C-66 but they won't make one with single coil pickups. So im thinking of just doing it with the Bolt Plus and replacing the Carvin pickups with something else, maybe something with chrome pickup covers.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

PANAMA
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good bang for the buck, not the best but it is up there. Solid equipment, US made. I just realized that I am typing this, while wearing for the first time in 2 months, my Carvin custom shop t-shirt.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Carvin is good wood. I'm skeptical of the electronics though.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    Carvin is good wood. I'm skeptical of the electronics though.
    Really? Which model gave you problems?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's to bad Carvin used to scrimp on the electronics, they will be living with that crap for a while.

I don't think their electronics suck at all anymore, their stock single coils sound as good as MIA stock Fenders, at least to my ears. Those new C22 humbuckers sound as good as stock Gibsons.

I live about 2 1/2 hours from San Diego, I get to play on their stuff a lot, at least 3 times a year.