Register
    Favorite VH Album

WaCF
    Last Online

06.01.13 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Power Amp rig question

Hey all,

(sorry if this is the wrong forum but the Musician's Corner didn't really have any gear related topics . . . and I do play guitar, so I thought maybe I could squeek it by in here.)

I'm hunting for a reasonably priced PA system for my band to gig with. We're starting mostly with parties and smaller venues, but eventually will to move to medium sized venues that have their own gear. Right now we just need something to get going with.

Anyway, does anyone have any good suggestions on individual components or packages.

thanks!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Your budget? How many in band? What do they play? What kind of music? How many in the venue? Do you want "God's PA" or enought to get by?
    I'll check back...

Favorite VH Album

WaCF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cyberfiddl,

thanks for the response . . .

Our band is four members strong: lead guitar, rhythmn guitar/vocals, bass, drums. I'd like to think we have our own sound, but for reference I'll say that we're Helmet/Tool influenced, with some Iron Maiden tendencies . . . as we get tighter playing together we're aiming for somewhere on the map between Chevelle and the gothenburg & metalcore styles (e.g. Soilwork, In flames, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Unearth) if that means anything to you.

I'm also looking at adding a Peavey 50/50 to my rig to power a 4x12 cab (I'm currently playing through a Johnson Millenium 150--great *versatile* practice amp, but needs some boost to gig with).

If I go that route I may try to use the 50/50 as part of our PA rig until we're playing venues large enough where I need to assimilate it into my rig. For starters we'd like to accomodate a crowd of 50 to 75.

Any comments/advice/recommendations would be helpful at this point.

thanks again!

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Mackie 808S - Mixer Power Amp

Works great, sounds great, plenty of power for monitors and mains. Then, add a powered Subwoofer, and daddy-o, you're going to wail.

That Johnson would be fine to gig with, unless you are playing the Rosebowl, and even then, mic it through the PA, and you are golden.

Be sure you get the S version of the 808. It's stereo, so you can control the mix in the monitors differently than the mains. Nobody needs more drums in the monitors!

We've done gigs with other bands with way more crap, rack mounted yada yada, and their overcomplication makes soundcheck a disaster. We just finally started telling people, nope, we'll play through our amp. With the powered sub, the kick drum and the bass gently massages the ladies in the audience, and gets the place shaking.
    Last edited by stratogibson; 01.14.05 at 08:53 AM.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

WaCF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks Strato, that just might do the trick! . . . any recommendations on speakers (mains, monitors, woof)?