Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.06.05 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

kudos to Jeff over at jfrocks.com

Just wanted to give props to Jeff over at jfrocks.com

Man, I got his VH II and Women and Children CD ROMs that he does. Not only did I learn more than I have from other instructional stuff but his tabs on the CDs are great. And I might add dude has nailed the tone big time.

Definitely want to give props to Jeff on a great product VH is not easy to tab out and he's done some good detail on the CD tabs. I used to be one of his biggest critics but I'm a convert all the way. I can actually do the Fools intro now with those muted pull offs the 5-7-3-0 Crazy stuff man.

Jeff I don't know if you come to forums or not but you rock and I'm gonna put this same post on your forum just in case you don't come here.

Its also great to see this forum up and running again. Had me scared for a minute there. Would have hated to lose this place. I get a lot of great info from here.

Wolfgang F.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Jeff has a great site and I use it all the time to learn stuff. I don't always agree with all of his tabs, but for the most part he's right on. I've been thinking about picking up those instructional cd's as well. Jeff, if you post here, speak up, we'd like to know who you are.

Last Online

12.26.11 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I brought this up right before the old boards went down. Jeff got a great site, and a fantastic instructional product in his new VH101 cd-roms. I have the first two covering the first two VH1 and VHII albums, with Woman and Children first. I am light years ahead on playing VH than I would have been without them. KUDOS Jeff! Keep up the excellent work!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Inaccurate Tabs

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangfuk
    Just wanted to give props to Jeff over at jfrocks.com

I can actually do the Fools intro now with those muted pull offs the 5-7-3-0 Crazy stuff man.
    That's not how the lick is played.

And that's not surprising, since quite a few of his tabs are "off".

What's great is that the guy is fanatical about VH, and has taken the time to put up that site.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.06.05 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

true

True, but Jeff also pointed out that its only one way its done. He actually showed 4 different ways to play that riff. Which is another think I like about what he does.

I have all the CD ROMs he's done so far and I have to say when I do them they match nicely with the CD. I actually did slow down the CD and I believe he's correct with that tab however, as Jeff even stated EVH more meant to do it that way but it came out sounding the way most players play it.

I personally like Jeff's vesion 3 of the riff. I find its the easiest and sounds the best and its also the way he said he always played it.

I'll tell ya though the CD ROMs are like having the tab books with edited tabs and help deciphering them. Which was always my problem with playing Eddie's riffs and stuff.

I still say big thumbs up for a great unique product that has more than likely helped more players like myself than just tabs alone.

I believe Jeff's quote is 50 players 50 different ways to play one riff or something like that.

I'll never be Eddie Van Halen as a player but my playing has improved and I owe Jeff a lot of credit for that.

Just my thoughts on that anyway.

Wolfgangfuk

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.14.05 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The guy is definatly awesome and he totally blows me awy, that being said....

It kinda makes me think when he mentions that everyone elses tabs are wrong and he sees stuff transcribed wrong all the time, but onece in a while I will see something of his that is not correct, or he has left out a lot of stuff.

For instance In a Simple Ryhme, there was a lot of stuff left out of that one.
    Last edited by Cazmarzak; 03.06.05 at 03:31 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.23.08 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default JF Rocks

I appreciate what he tries to do but a lot of what Ive really seen/heard from him are very incorrect version of VH songs and licks. And has anyone ever heard him actually play? I dont mean the slowed down "instructional mode" stuff, but just....play? I havent. Is he good?

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmarsh View Post
    I appreciate what he tries to do but a lot of what Ive really seen/heard from him are very incorrect version of VH songs and licks. And has anyone ever heard him actually play? I dont mean the slowed down "instructional mode" stuff, but just....play? I havent. Is he good?
    I like what the guy is doing and the work and effort he puts into it is great, but my biggest complaint is, the fucker won't SHUT THE HELL UP. He tries to explain things too much instead of playing. All in all, however, he gets kudos from me for keeping the faith and interest of VH alive. The instructions are 90% on point and I've gleaned a few little things here and there from the few I've watched.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmarsh View Post
    You pulled a 2 1/2 year old thread back to the top. Now, he does incorrect versions of songs, this is because he got in trouble with VH. He used to have clips on his site showing exactly how to play the licks and the songs and then VH busted him. His site was down for a while then came back up with this weird stuff. I wish I had gotten his cd's when he had them.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
    I brought this up right before the old boards went down. Jeff got a great site, and a fantastic instructional product in his new VH101 cd-roms. I have the first two covering the first two VH1 and VHII albums, with Woman and Children first. I am light years ahead on playing VH than I would have been without them. KUDOS Jeff! Keep up the excellent work!
    Deleted.....this post is 2 years old....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncbuckeye3 View Post
    You pulled a 2 1/2 year old thread back to the top. Now, he does incorrect versions of songs, this is because he got in trouble with VH. He used to have clips on his site showing exactly how to play the licks and the songs and then VH busted him. His site was down for a while then came back up with this weird stuff. I wish I had gotten his cd's when he had them.
    Now he can only do Vin Heuton because VH's Lawyers prohibited him from making tabs for their songs (Smell the bullshit....)...

Here's a guy doing video lessons and tabs for all these great albums (cause they were FULL albums...the whole 6 pack was done!)...and until he started making the DVD's he was doing it all for free...and then because he's charging a mere 8 bucks for a 90 minute album guitar lesson...VH is feeling cheated......FUCK THAT!

The guy still does amazing work now on the site....and he was the ONLY person to tab VH songs RIGHT...before VH crashed the party.....he was the only person who ENCOURAGED embellishment on the songs like Ed does live......

And regarding the tabs being incorrect....they were the BEST VH tabs out there on the net....no contest....some tabs were simplified....whereas some other Vh tabs on the net are so overly complicated.......Jeff has even addressed the fact that many people think he's incorrect....but the proof is how it sounds.....and 95% of the tabs...when you followed them...sounded amazing...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel