Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

Opinions on Downloads

Ok I want your guys' thoughts on this, since there are so many different ways for me to do this.

I am going to bring back the downloads forum, and I want to let people upload files, BUT, and a big BUT is that I don't have the bandwidth to let people throw up and download large MP3 files. And I never will, that's just the way it is. So I was thinking of the going the Bit Torrent route, more aggressively this time though.

Now I know some of you were against it last time, some had trouble figuring it out how to do it, etc. But hopefully this time, it will go easier. First off, I would be willing to let you guys upload torrent files yourselves to the site, and update the Bit Torrent tracker, so people know what files are being seeded and are active. You won't need me to do it, and we can get a lot more stuff up there I think. Now, there is a script that costs a fair amount of cash that integrates the whole Bit Torrent system with VBulletin. But I don't think we're going to have the volume to need a system like that. If people just upload their torrent files, make sure to update the the torrent tracker, I think it will go fine. If that system makes sense for us down the road, I would consider it.

I'm also going to add a full-time moderator who is very well-versed in the bit torrent stuff, who would be willing to help out people having trouble, and also watch to make sure the tracker is properly updated, etc. For me, with my first little bundle of joy coming very soon, I know I'm not going to have the time I used to have to really help everyone in that forum. But I really want to make that forum something where we can all share VH stuff, or any band for that matter. I don't have issue with that, so long as we're not trading ANY copyrighted material.

Last time I was too lax with the forum, it didn't grow like I hoped, and I wasn't on top of it enough to see that we had people seeding shows that were listed, etc. I think this time adding a moderator in there that will do that will help it grow right.

Now this doesn't mean I won't from time to time throw up some MP3's on my own so that people can get a quick fix, but it's not going to be all that often, just remember.

Now I know people argue this MP3 vs. FLAC (lossless) stuff all day, and I really don't care how you guys want to do it. I just think if we're going through the trouble of doing torrents, we should do the best-quality stuff. But if someone has to trade MP3's as a torrent, they should make sure and label clearly that it is an MP3 and that they haven't converted someone's FLAC files to MP3. Because most people don't want their lossless files converted to MP3, and it's common decency just to not do that.

So that's my story on the download forum and what I'd like to do. Any comments or opinions you have, feel free to share.

Oh and also, only registered members will be able to upload torrent files, and I'm probably only going to allow registered members to even access that download forum, I haven't decided on that yet. I may have other options down the road, I just don't know yet, just throwing ideas out there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm sincere with this...

Realistically? Blow off downloads.

Any of us who have pain-stakingly chased down unbelievable stuff, from other places, could simply and effectively compose links to such findings (not that they even had to be hosted, as we all can type) in a "Looking For Downloads" type forum, rather than having it served, let alone moderated at this site.

For cryin' out loud... in all honesty, why build yet another addition?

That simply is my opinion, yet after all...it is your house.

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.12.05 at 04:30 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

You'd be surprised how many people emailed and asked what happened to them, and when they're coming back.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

I'm somewhat uneducated when it comes to digital music. Is bit torrent a significantly better sound quality than mp3? I downloaded some bit torrent stuff (after I figured it out and it took a little while) and I didn't think it was that high of quality. Although it could of been a poor recording (it was a boot).

IMO the biggest problem with the torrent is just getting it up and running, once you understand it, it's fairly easy.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Amsterdam
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dr, bit torrent is just the method of transfer for the files themselves. Kind of like the Bearshare/Limewire/Kazoo approach...the sound file types are MP3 and FLAC (F?? Lossless Audio COntent?)

FLAC vs. mp3, Coke vs. Pepsi, PC vs. Mac, you get the picture...find what you like and go, in my book. Unless you're an absolute audiophile, IMO, running this stuff on Denon hardware and sending it out to Klipsch speakers, or your choice, etc. then as long as you can hear it, and it isn't crap, that's what I'm looking at.

Brett, as far as the forum (sorry to get off track, just trying to help out a fellow linker), I would second the chef when I say spare the BW and just put up a section for trading "where can I" and "here is" information. Seems to be more practical...your call at the end of the day, obviously. I just wanted to voice my opinion, so that if I don't like it, then I can bitch.

FWIW, I haven't been upset with anything you've done yet, dude...I don't think I'm alone in saying that you've a lot, my man, but you have. Just to have SOMETHING is good enough for me.

Peace...
    Darrell
    ----
    "We (the British) have hated the French for years. Now you (the United States) have just joined the club. It makes you much more likable."
    -- Simon Cowell (in an interview) on France

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just a bootleg forum letting people ask and answer would be cool. I know a lot of newer fans/members ask for someone to send them an mp3 when they read about an unreleased track that's mentioned in a thread under the VH Songs/Albums/Videos or something. A central place to go and ask would be all that's necessary.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"