Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 219

Thread: The Doors

  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Likes
    846
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default The Doors

    WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) Danny Sugerman, who went from an adolescent Doors groupie to manager of the rock group, has died of lung cancer at age 50. Sugerman, who also co-wrote the acclaimed 1980 biography of lead singer Jim Morrison, No One Here Gets Out Alive, died Wednesday at his home, according to a statement posted on the band's Web site.

    A confidante of Morrison and the other musicians, Sugerman promoted their music years after the band's fame peaked. He consulted on Oliver Stone's 1991 film The Doors and put out two compilations of song lyrics, Morrison poetry and articles about the band. (Morrison was found dead in the bathtub of his Paris apartment on July 3, 1971, at age 27. French police said he died of a heart attack, though his regular use of drugs and alcohol was likely a factor.)

    A native of the Los Angeles area, Sugerman was hooked on the Doors after seeing a concert at age 13. He was hired by Morrison a year later to put together a band scrapbook, and fell into the excesses of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

    He recounted his struggles with heroin addiction in the 1991 autobiography Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess. Sugerman also wrote a book about Guns N' Roses titled Appetite for Destruction.

    The Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek said in the statement that he had worked with Sugerman since 1973 to "keep the name and the poetry of Jim Morrison alive. ... Danny is standing side-by-side with his great friend, Jim Morrison, and the two of them will now be laughing together into eternity."

    Sugerman is survived by his wife, Fawn Hall Sugerman, and a brother and sister.

  2. #2
    Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.13.99
    Location
    I am a Van Halenized Canadian!
    Posts
    12,837
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Likes
    97
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

    Default

    It's sad that he died so young, at age 50.
    Right Now you're reading my post!


    I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

    -- John Entwistle

    2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quite frankly, "No One Here Gets Out Alive" truly was an important part of my life in the early eighties.

    In my early twenties and confused about everything, I'd started reading the book mainly based on nothing.
    I had no "fond" memories of Doors tunes, and barely had ever heard of Jim Morrison.

    This book changed all of that.

    It also served as a cautionary tale about friends, celebrity and rock and roll, in all it's piety and falseness.

    Yup, as a result I managed to aquire quite a good Doors collection (including bootlegs) on vinyl.

    I recommend the book...it's pretty damn good, as it is myth-making yet iconoclastic at the same time.

    And ultimately, it gave the surviving Doors (Kreiger, Dunsmore and the pompous, long-winded Manzerak) a second act to their abbreviated careers.

    Which sadly led us to "The Doors: 2003-04"

    Remember Sugarmann, and his book. I will.
    Thanks, Danny.

    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  4. #4
    Baluchitherium Rovus's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.10.03
    Age
    36
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,100
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Wow, I had no idea Danny had lung cancer.

    I have skim read "No One Here Gets Out Alive" but now I might just go back devour the whole thing. I also had no idea that he even wrote a book on Guns N Roses. Another good book of his is "The Doors: Illustrated History".
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

    - Wayne's World 2

    "God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

  5. #5
    Eruption HippieLettuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.17.01
    Age
    49
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,414
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Likes
    11
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

    Default I met Jim Morrison's sister today...

    I don't know if anyone cares, but it was pretty cool to talk to Jim's sister.

    I substitute teach in the Conejo Valley in Southern California. Someone had told me she had Jim's sister as a teacher when she was younger. It turns out she still teaches at the same school.

    So I get the call to sub a 2nd grade class at this particular school. It turns out she teaches 2nd grade. I had subbed there before and asked another teacher if Jim's sister worked there. She pointed her out for me so I knew who to talk to.

    I'm kind of a Doors freak and Morrison is as great a frontman as there has ever been (well, except for one..). I introduced myself and told her I felt her brother and his band were brilliant. She was real, real cool. I told her I wish I had had the opportunity to see them live. She said the same thing saying "We didn't think he would die at 27."

    I ended up talking to her for about a half an hour. Again, she was really nice and answered all my questions. Since I have read several books about Jim and his career, they never really discussed what he was like as a kid. So I asked her what he was like and she said, "He was a real straight guy until he got into high school. Then he got really wild."

    I asked her if it felt surreal to watch her brother grow into such a huge star. Obviously she said yes. She told me the way she found out he was in a major rock band was that at the time Jim graduated from UCLA, her family was living in England. Her grandparents sent her The Doors first album cover and that's how she initially discovered JIm was a (or destined to be) a rock star. She said it was kind of strange because when Jim left for California, he didn't talk to his family the entire time he was attending UCLA. So when he leaves his family he's just another kid going to college. The next thing she knows, he's a rock star.

    After we were done talking, I went back to the room I was subbing in. She came to the room because she felt she needed to tell me that Jim was constantly reading books. She said, "I almost feel guilty for not mentioning this. Jim was always reading. For high school graduation, he asked my parents for the complete works of Nietzche (sp?)." I told her thanks for being so open and by meeting her it kind of Jim seem more real. Again, she could not have been nicer.

    Anyway, it was a cool experience....

    By the way, she really looks like Jim...
    Last edited by HippieLettuce; 02.10.05 at 03:56 PM.

  6. #6
    Good Enough Phatie's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.25.03
    Age
    52
    Location
    took the 5:15 to Kalamazoo
    Posts
    2,398
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

    09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    How weird is that, I was just reading about Morrison's ghost appearing at his gravesite...

    http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/morrison.html

  7. #7
    Good Enough atomicpunk5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.12.01
    Age
    47
    Location
    Old Bethpage, NY
    Posts
    2,511
    Favorite VH Album

    All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

    All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

    08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HippieLettuce
    I don't know if anyone cares, but it was pretty cool to talk to Jim's sister.

    I substitute teach in the Conejo Valley in Southern California. Someone had told me she had Jim's sister as a teacher when she was younger. It turns out she still teaches at the same school.

    So I get the call to sub a 2nd grade class at this particular school. It turns out she teaches 2nd grade. I had subbed there before and asked another teacher if Jim's sister worked there. She pointed her out for me so I knew who to talk to.

    I'm kind of a Doors freak and Morrison is as great a frontman as there has ever been (well, except for one..). I introduced myself and told her I felt her brother and his band were brilliant. She was real, real cool. I told her I wish I had had the opportunity to see them live. She said the same thing saying "We didn't think he would die at 27."

    I ended up talking to her for about a half an hour. Again, she was really nice and answered all my questions. Since I have read several books about Jim and his career, they never really discussed what he was like as a kid. So I asked her what he was like and she said, "He was a real straight guy until he got into high school. Then he got really wild."

    I asked her if it felt surreal to watch her brother grow into such a huge star. Obviously she said yes. She told me the way she found out he was in a major rock band was that at the time Jim graduated from UCLA, her family was living in England. Her grandparents sent her The Doors first album cover and that's how she initially discovered JIm was a (or destined to be) a rock star. She said it was kind of strange because when Jim left for California, he didn't talk to his family the entire time he was attending UCLA. So when he leaves his family he's just another kid going to college. The next thing she knows, he's a rock star.

    After we were done talking, I went back to the room I was subbing in. She came to the room because she felt she needed to tell me that Jim was constantly reading books. She said, "I almost feel guilty for not mentioning this. Jim was always reading. For high school graduation, he asked my parents for the complete works of Nietzche (sp?)." I told her thanks for being so open and by meeting her it kind of Jim seem more real. Again, she could not have been nicer.

    Anyway, it was a cool experience....

    By the way, she really looks like Jim...
    That is awesome.
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

  8. #8
    Good Enough MASHAGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.29.04
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,050
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Last Online

    11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Wow! I'm not a big fan or anything, but that's really cool! The part about how she came back to tell you that she felt almost guilty not mentioning that he loved to read is my favorite part!

  9. #9
    Summer Nights in Cabo SNIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.21.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,850
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

    10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Likes
    89
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Great story! Thanks for sharing that one.


  10. #10
    Unchained mikeKramer's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Location
    Royersford PA
    Posts
    522
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.24.17 @ 06:35 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HippieLettuce

    By the way, she really looks like Jim...
    did she have a beard and appear bloated?
    Well ain't life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time, woke up in life to find i almost missed it,aint I glad that love is blind

  11. #11
    On Fire
    Join Date
    12.21.02
    Age
    42
    Location
    Galveston Island (2 miles south of TEXAS)
    Posts
    329
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    sinners swing
    Last Online

    11.02.17 @ 07:04 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Did you ask her if he was still in Paris or if he had come back to the states after he faked his death?
    "The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit." -David Lee Roth

  12. #12
    Eruption HippieLettuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.17.01
    Age
    49
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,414
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Likes
    11
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedtruckermf
    Did you ask her if he was still in Paris or if he had come back to the states after he faked his death?
    Uh, no...
    Last edited by HippieLettuce; 02.10.05 at 08:23 PM.

  13. #13
    Baluchitherium Rovus's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.10.03
    Age
    36
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,100
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Cool story!

    I recently watched The Doors movie and we'll be seeing the 21st Century Doors in a couple of weeks.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

    - Wayne's World 2

    "God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

  14. #14
    Good Enough evhslilhottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.28.04
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,841
    Last Online

    01.13.07 @ 11:34 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    How weird is that, I was just reading about Morrison's ghost appearing at his gravesite...

    http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/morrison.html
    Jim Morrison and ghosts: Truely the best of both worlds !

    That is awesome you met her! By "Dead On" Jim, do you mean early Doors: long, curly hair Jim or late Doors: "hang out with your wang out" Jim?
    So you broke down, trying to leave town, I broke down crying on your return. You left me feeling hopeful, I'll never see your face again. You made for a bad lover's liver. You stole all the covers and busted my head. You made me such an asshole, I wish we'd never met. I'm tired of being bored. I'm through with the headaches. Hiding my hands that tremble like earthquakes. Under the table, under the daytime sky, Good Fucking Bye- Good Fucking Bye, Alkaline Trio

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.21.03
    Age
    52
    Location
    Mound Valley, Kansas
    Posts
    9,045
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Likes
    39
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    I'm not a big fan of the Doors or anything, but that is pretty cool. I guess me meeting Lisa Marie Presley would be the equivalent of that for me. Speaking of that, wasn't Jim Morrison pretty big into Elvis? I had heard that somewhere, and was wondering if it was true.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 3 Doors Down
    By Dr5115 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08.29.12, 04:30 AM
  2. More Doors News....
    By CATMAN3 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02.15.03, 12:01 PM
  3. the *new* Doors
    By ALilAin'tEnough in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01.21.03, 12:06 PM
  4. The Return of The Doors?
    By FH in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09.13.02, 12:10 PM
  5. 10 Best Doors songs
    By BrokenCombs in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.21.01, 05:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •