Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Stephen A. Smith to get his own show...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

Stephen A. Smith gets own show on ESPN2

Compiled By The Inquirer Staff

Inquirer sports columnist Stephen A. Smith will get his own "opinion/personality" television show, Quite Frankly, on ESPN2 at 6:30 p.m. weekdays, ESPN executive vice president Mark Shapiro announced yesterday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Los Angeles.

The show will start in June and originate in New York. Shapiro said Smith would appear before a live audience in a combination Bill O'Reilly-Phil Donahue format featuring hot-seat guests and one-issue sports commentary.

"We are very pleased that ESPN audiences will now get a chance to know what Philadelphia Inquirer readers have known for many years, just how special Stephen A. Smith is as a sports commentator," Inquirer managing editor Anne Gordon said.

"Stephen will continue in his role at The Inquirer, sharing his strong and often controversial opinions on a wide variety of sporting events."

Smith, 37, started at ESPN in October 2003 and is the network's featured NBA analyst/insider for its NBA Shootaround show. At times, he has hosted Pardon The Interruption.

"Initially, I believed the most humbling accomplishment of my career was obtaining a general sports column," said Smith, who joined The Inquirer in October 1994 and started writing his general column in February 2003. "This equals that sentiment. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever envision hosting my own show. I'm honored, extremely humbled, and very fortunate and blessed to be in this position.

"However, despite all that has transpired, the newspaper business still serves as my foundation. Its principles and the integrity associated with it serve as the backbone for all that I'm about and hope to be professionally. I have no intention of giving up my position as a general columnist, and I hope to remain in this business, as well, for years to come."

Spokesman Rob Tobias said the network wanted to launch a personality-driven show for ESPN2.

"Stephen A. Smith is the perfect candidate to fill that role," Tobias said. "It's a program with a daily dose of sports news, opinions, issues and headlines, much like the Bill O'Reilly show."
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Just call him the Weatherman, cause every fucking thing he says ends up dead wrong.

I've never seen someone who knows so little act like he knows so much.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Aint that the truth. Back when McNabb went down with a broken leg two seasons ago Stephen said, "they don't have a chance in hell of making it to the playoffs. They're done." Welp, we only went on a 9-0 streak after that, and of course made it to the NFC Championship game that year. Good call Stephen.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Here's a show to not watch.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You know what, I'm just glad it's not Woody Paige. Even the Cold Pizza commercials are painful to watch.

As for Smith, sooner or later, someone's going to make the "Chrissy" Everett-Jim Rome incident look like a damn bridal shower. Ka-pow!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Yea Woody is hard to watch for sure, and his counter part on that show isn't any better. I sometimes wonder why these guys are considered experts when I can read better analysis here.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I sometimes wonder why these guys are considered experts when I can read better analysis here.
    Well, that pretty much hit's the nail on the head, as I recall we did a favorite/least favorite sports announcers thread some time ago, and we all barely came up with ANYONE currently employed.

Let's face it, these shows are cheap "set-fillers",if you will.

Everyone wants lightning in a bottle, and a license to sell it...for instance, when a show like "Pardon The Interruption" is copied, the producers fail to realise that Wilbon and Kornheiser are two GENUINELY engaging personalities.

Steven A. Smith's mouth is like a car alarm at times...blaring the obvious, as the car's owner is a clueless cheapskate, everyone knows the car isn't being stolen and ultimately everyone just gets annoyed and wishes it would shut the fuck up, already.

At least it will be on ESPN2.

And by the way, isn't everybody just about over these "Poker" shows?
    Now we get a tv series from ESPN called "Tilt" about...you guessed it.

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.12.05 at 12:44 PM. Reason: screw up in gremlins

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I love how ESPN did a report on how too many young kids are playin poker in school, and how that can lead to a dangerous habit. And what do they turnaround and do? Fuckin glorify the shit with a series. That network irratates the hell out of me.

As far as analysts go...yes the may be privy to game film, which is something that most of us here don't get, and really don't have the time to break down. BUT, I see it like this. I know MY team better than anyone IMO. So I'm not going to listen to some guy tell me about MY team, when I'm the guy that goes to the mini-camps, games, watches all the games and all the post game interviews, etc. Nobody knows a team like a FAN, and fans are the best analysts IMO. So that's why I'd rather come here and listen to any one of you guys tell me about your squad, then what some jerk on ESPN has to say about them. I should actually rephrase that a bit and say, LOGICAL FANS know their teams better than anybody. You've got some fans out there that just aren't from the same planet as the rest of us.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

11.23.15 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dude if he can get a show, anyone can. He's a fucking bum and can't make a correct statement to save his own ass. I hope his show goes down quicker than a Twinkie in Oprah's hands.
    No president puts joy in my life, but Van Halen puts joy in my ears.

Never pet a burning dog.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

If that aint sig worthy, I don't know what is!
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm with you 100%, Sucka...we've been back and forth about our experiences at mini-camp (which I currently moved even closer to )...and you are correct, seperating what the mouthbreathers come up with compared to actual critical analysis is like seperating weed from chaff.

Being close to players one runs into at the pub or K-Mart, where they actually know you and provide some "off the cuff" insight is always superior to what some scribe or "commentator" has been forced to come up with to fill space or time, and furthermore one never knows if a particular "slant or angle" is being provided by the author of same said piece.

As you also stated, a true fan knows his/her team...are "analysts" actually a redundant factor? In many ways they indeed are.

True they provide a certain foment or "food for thought", yet ultimately, I believe that rather than preaching to the choir (the true fans), they tend to attend the eyes or ears of the casual fan, which in a way I do not truly have that much difficulty with.

One does not become hardcore without some form of indoctrination, so as a public service and neccessary evil, I will tolerate these "informers".

The days of dignity in sportswriting are a foregone conclusion, I sadly reflect.
    I hope that is not ultimately the case governing any and all new to the job, yet there is an inherant legacy and duty that one should take into regard when picking up a pen, typing on a keyboard or grabbing a microphone, in my humble opinion.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Chad Pennington said it best when he addressed the media a few weeks ago. Being a sportswriter, or a person in the sports media is a privilige not a right. I think alot of media ppl have forgotten that, and ethics is just about gone all together.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Steven A. Smith is simply too damn A.nnoying especially when he gets all boisterous.....I feel like punching him in his cocksucker!
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 965 Times in 386 Posts

ugh

good grief charlie brown!

he irritates the shit outta me

pompous and militant

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

In the immortal words of Beavis: "Oh dear God, no!" Why would they give this windbag his own show? What's next the Tom Tolbert show? Tolbert irks me the most, followed closely by Bill Walton, and then Smith. I'd rather see more PTI than seeing Stephen Ass Smith babbling on and on about whatever is on his so called mind.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!