Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 9,282 Times in 6,680 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    I guess you aren't a Trekkie! They made 6 Star Trek films with the original cast, & the actors were all old in the films. But people loved them anyway, since many were fans of the original show & the movies were hits at the box office.

3 movies with the original cast & characters Luke, Leia, Han, & Lando as the stars would have been much better imo than watching them being killed off & being replaced by the much weaker new characters & actors we got in The Force Awakens & their sequels.
    Not a huge fan of the TV spin-offs, yet love the original series and first few movies. I do also like the Abrams remakes/reboots. I can't tell you how many times I've watched The Undiscovered Country. I totally enjoy that movie.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 17,998 Times in 9,560 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Disney wanted to create new heroes in the Star Wars world and not just repackage a bunch of seniors and hope kids will buy it. The thought was the correct one. The execution post TFA was not strong which may hurt them long term.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    So that's why we make movies now? To sell a bunch of crap and not care about the quality of the films or story?

If that's the legacy of Star Wars then that's a shame. The reason I wanted the toys was because I liked the story. When the story sucks kids don't care to buy the toys.

My boys don't have one action figure or ship from this trilogy.

And it isn't because I refused to buy them for them.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 12,368 Times in 6,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    So that's why we make movies now? To sell a bunch of crap and not care about the quality of the films or story?

If that's the legacy of Star Wars then that's a shame. The reason I wanted the toys was because I liked the story. When the story sucks kids don't care to buy the toys.

You make movies to make money, just like it's always been. The idea was a good one, execution not so much.

Last Online

02.16.20 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 4,662 Times in 1,756 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My kid adores BB-8, Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren along with Luke, Han, Obi-Wan and Vader...my buddy Rob has two kids where the situation is the same. At Galaxy's Edge you'll see little kids dressed as Rey and Kylo throughout the land. I believe that the characters didn't resonate with your kids as well as the OT did - because the ST just isn't as strong as the OT. That's never been up for discussion.

But I do think most of the generation growing up with these films will be fond of them for life. There's been a huge resurgence in the popularity of the prequel trilogy from adults who un-ironically love them because that's the Star Wars they grew up with. I foresee this trend continuing for generations - in general the Star Wars you grow up with will be the Star Wars you care for the most.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

to many to name
    Last Online

01.19.20 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Because a bunch of 60-70 year olds running around playing hero is hard to sell. What did you expect to see, RED in space? Look at how goofy Deniro looked in The Irishman, being as old as he is and trying to act physically like a younger man.

The OT focused on the trio of Han, Luke and Leia. The PT focused on the trio of Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padmé. It made total sense to focus the ST on the next generation of heroes.
    Would it really be that hard to sell Luke kicking some ass in his X-Wing or with his lightsaber? I remember some decent action sequences with Harrison Ford in TFA that didn't look goofy from what I can recall. The Luke I know loved being a pilot and wouldn't just lose that love of it. I don't think he should be the main hero by any means but he could have done soooooo much more. How sick would it have been to have Luke, Han and Lando flying side by side in some combat?

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cowboy View Post
    Would it really be that hard to sell Luke kicking some ass in his X-Wing or with his lightsaber? I remember some decent action sequences with Harrison Ford in TFA that didn't look goofy from what I can recall. The Luke I know loved being a pilot and wouldn't just lose that love of it. I don't think he should be the main hero by any means but he could have done soooooo much more. How sick would it have been to have Luke, Han and Lando flying side by side in some combat?
    No argument there. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed Luke didn’t get more of an action sequence to shine in. I understand what they did with him narratively, but it was at the expense of a truly great action sequence.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

You make movies to make money, just like it's always been. The idea was a good one, execution not so much.

I don't think Lucas made the first Star Wars to make money.

He made it because he had a story he wanted to tell. He wasn't even sure he would get to make the rest of them because he was over budget and thought it would bomb. But he made the story he wanted to tell anyway and it became a huge success.

When you do things solely to make money, particularly in the arts you end up compromising your integrity and in most cases making an inferior product.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    My kid adores BB-8, Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren along with Luke, Han, Obi-Wan and Vader...my buddy Rob has two kids where the situation is the same. At Galaxy's Edge you'll see little kids dressed as Rey and Kylo throughout the land. I believe that the characters didn't resonate with your kids as well as the OT did - because the ST just isn't as strong as the OT. That's never been up for discussion.

But I do think most of the generation growing up with these films will be fond of them for life. There's been a huge resurgence in the popularity of the prequel trilogy from adults who un-ironically love them because that's the Star Wars they grew up with. I foresee this trend continuing for generations - in general the Star Wars you grow up with will be the Star Wars you care for the most.
    Mine like BB-8. Probably couldn't tell you who Finn and Poe are. Obviously they know Rey.

At Jedi training they always want to fight Darth Vader and not Kylo Ren. My son wants to be Obi-Wan from the prequels for Halloween.

I've taken my older one to the last two on release weekend and he just isn't interested for whatever reason. He actually prefers to watch the prequels on Disney +.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I don't think Lucas made the first Star Wars to make money.

He made it because he had a story he wanted to tell. He wasn't even sure he would get to make the rest of them because he was over budget and thought it would bomb. But he made the story he wanted to tell anyway and it became a huge success.

When you do things solely to make money, particularly in the arts you end up compromising your integrity and in most cases making an inferior product.
    Pretty sure Lucas didn't plan on losing money making the series. End of the day these movies are not solely for those of us who grew up on the originals. We have our movies. They are for the next generation of fans. Making a new series starring some senior citizens as the heroes would have been a comedy. Kids aren't gonna relate to their grandfather defeating evil. And even though many old fans don't like the new movies they've been a huge success so they are doing something right. Each of the 3 has made over a billion dollars. Once this one is done in theatres you're gonna be looking at the 3 making about 5 billion between them.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.13.20 @ 07:27 PM
    Liked 154 Times in 65 Posts

Although Disney owns "Star Wars" and the rights going forward. GL is grandfathered into some of the profits related to merchandise from characters in the original trilogy. Hence, the need to make these new dopes and make a star wars theme park rides that have nothing to do with the OT. Source: bunch of internet nerds

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Pretty sure Lucas didn't plan on losing money making the series. End of the day these movies are not solely for those of us who grew up on the originals. We have our movies. They are for the next generation of fans. Making a new series starring some senior citizens as the heroes would have been a comedy. Kids aren't gonna relate to their grandfather defeating evil. And even though many old fans don't like the new movies they've been a huge success so they are doing something right. Each of the 3 has made over a billion dollars. Once this one is done in theatres you're gonna be looking at the 3 making about 5 billion between them.

And they probably could have made a lot more had they done it differently.

I'm not sure why this idea of "senior citizens being the heroes" keeps coming up. No one is saying that. What some people are saying is that utilizing those characters in a mentoring role like Qui Gon in Episode One or Obi-Wan in Episode Four might have been a better idea than treating them like garbage and only using them to get people like myself to by a ticket. We're also saying that constructing a tory that's not a rehash of the OT might have been a better idea and in the long run would have been more profitable than choosing the quick and easy path.

ROS is already hemorrhaging theaters that are showing it. The demand just isn't there.

And frankly the only reason any kid is going to be interested in Star Wars is because of their parents. This isn't Marvel or Fortnite or whatever else kids are interested in these days.

We're not going to agree on this and that's fine, but I don't see these films as being a huge success at all. If they were they wouldn't be shelving things that they had originally planned to do like the second Solo film or the Obi Wan film that they've now changed to be a streaming TV show.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I'm not sure why this idea of "senior citizens being the heroes" keeps coming up. No one is saying that. What some people are saying is that utilizing those characters in a mentoring role like Qui Gon in Episode One or Obi-Wan in Episode Four might have been a better idea than treating them like garbage and only using them to get people like myself to by a ticket.
    Ultimately that's what they did though. Han was a main character and the emotional lynchpin for 2/3 of TFA. Luke had more screen time and relevance in TLJ alone than Obi-Wan did in the entire OT. Leia had some beautiful and powerful moments in TLJ before tragedy struck, shortchanging her character in IX.

I'd argue that the OT trio got more love in the ST than the examples you listed. Now obviously the execution of the storyline wasn't to your tastes. But using the legacy characters to propel and inspire the ST characters is exactly the path they chose.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

And they probably could have made a lot more had they done it differently.

I'm not sure why this idea of "senior citizens being the heroes" keeps coming up. No one is saying that. What some people are saying is that utilizing those characters in a mentoring role like Qui Gon in Episode One or Obi-Wan in Episode Four might have been a better idea than treating them like garbage and only using them to get people like myself to by a ticket. We're also saying that constructing a tory that's not a rehash of the OT might have been a better idea and in the long run would have been more profitable than choosing the quick and easy path.

ROS is already hemorrhaging theaters that are showing it. The demand just isn't there.

And frankly the only reason any kid is going to be interested in Star Wars is because of their parents. This isn't Marvel or Fortnite or whatever else kids are interested in these days.

We're not going to agree on this and that's fine, but I don't see these films as being a huge success at all. If they were they wouldn't be shelving things that they had originally planned to do like the second Solo film or the Obi Wan film that they've now changed to be a streaming TV show.
    All three have cleared a billion plus. Not sure how that can be considered a commercial failure.

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

02.15.20 @ 07:53 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 144 Posts

Compare Obi wan to Luke is this saga.

Obi wan plays a huge part in ep 1,2,3,4 appears in 5 and 6. Is heard in 7 and 9

Luke is in 4,5,6 … I'm not even counting 7 (what a joke) 8 and briefly in 9

My point being , if Obi wan was a main character in the prequel, like Luke in the original. Obi wan played a much larger role in his sequel than Luke played in his sequel.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

02.16.20 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 6,985 Times in 3,645 Posts

Have the new movies made money? Sure

Do you think that the bean counters at Disney are happy with their ROI? No. When they bought the franchise, developed the theme parks, etc they expected a constant cash cow. A stream of money that made the golden goose seem like peanuts. If they were so happy with the results, then why did they shelve putting out their original plan of a Star Wars movie every year? Why did JJ go and rip apart everything that Mr Johnson did with one movie?

If you asked them in 2015 on where the franchise would be in 2020, they never would have thought this would have happened.,

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: