Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Johnson and Beltran news conferences today

NEW YORK - Even in winter, there are baseball doubleheaders in New York. The Mets scheduled a news conference for Tuesday morning at Shea Stadium to announce their $119 million, seven-year contract with center fielder Carlos Beltran. Three hours later at Yankee Stadium, the Yankees have summoned media to announce they have acquired Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

A lot of stars sure are coming to the New York teams this winter, a sign of the Big Apple's economic power.

"That's the nature of the beast," Los Angeles general manager Paul DePodesta said Monday. "I think we're going to have one of the higher payrolls in baseball. I'm certainly not going to grouse about what they have in New York. We have more than enough here."

Before their deal with Beltran, the Mets gave three-time Cy Young Award winner Pedro Martinez a $53 million, four-year contract and kept Kris Benson for $22.5 million over three years.

The Yankees, who turned down the chance to sign Beltran to a $100 million, six-year deal, added pitchers Carl Pavano ($39.95 million over four years) and Jaret Wright ($21 million over three years), then agreed to pay $9 million to Arizona as part of the Johnson trade and give the Big Unit a $32 million, two-year extension through 2007.

"I have seen, as I have sat in this chair for the last 25 years, a lot of things that have been written about and talked about," Atlanta Braves general manager John Schuerholz said. "What we do is keep our eyes, so to speak, on our own ball and do what is best for our team. If we do our job, it doesn't matter what anybody else does. That's always our focus every year."

In other baseball news Monday, Toronto agreed to a $900,000, one-year contract with reliever Billy Koch, Los Angeles reached a preliminary agreement on a $650,000 deal with catcher Paul Bako, Florida gave a $475,000 deal to left-hander Matt Perisho, Pittsburgh agreed to a minor league contract with pitcher Todd Ritchie and Cleveland closed in on a minor league contract with outfielder Juan Gonzalez.

The Mets finalized their $900,000, one-year deal with infielder Miguel Cairo and agreed to a $2.1 million, one-year contract with right-hander Victor Zambrano, avoiding arbitration.

In a trade agreed to on Dec. 30, the Yankees are sending the Diamondbacks pitcher Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey, catcher Dioner Navarro and $9 million.

Vazquez and Shawn Green passed their physical examinations on Monday, the last hurdle before they could officially join the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Green was scheduled to be introduced at a news conference on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. on Monday night would not confirm a report that the team had signed pitcher Shawn Estes to a one-year contract.

However, Garagiola said, "we may have something on that tomorrow."

The East Valley Tribune of Mesa reported on its web site that Estes, who lives in nearby Paradise Valley, signed a one-year contract worth between $2.5 and $3 million. The lefthander was 15-5 with a 5.84 earned run average for the Colorado Rockies last season. He also had been talking with the Washington Nationals, the franchise transplanted from Montreal, but liked the idea of pitching close to home.

Navarro had to take two physicals Monday - one for Arizona and one for Los Angeles, which is acquiring him as part of a separate deal.

Los Angeles is receiving Navarro and three other prospects from the Diamondbacks for outfielder Green and $10 million. Green and Arizona reached an agreement in principle Sunday on a $32 million, three-year contract, which would allow that trade to be finalized and cause the Dodgers to complete their $36 million, four-year contract with free-agent pitcher Derek Lowe.

On the way to his physical Monday, Johnson got into a confrontation on a Manhattan sidewalk with a television cameraman.

He put his long right arm up to block a camera from WCBS-TV after he left his Manhattan hotel.

Johnson, who was accompanied by Yankees director of team security Jerry Laveroni, made contact with the camera, station spokeswoman Audrey Pass said.

"Get out of my face, that's all I ask," Johnson said, according to a video posted on the station's Web site.

"No cameras," Laveroni said.

"Don't get in my face," Johnson then said. "I don't care who you are. Don't get in my face."

"I'm just taking a picture," said the cameraman, identified by the station as Vinny Everett.

Responded Johnson: "Don't get in my face, and don't talk back to me, all right."

Johnson issued a statement through agent Alan Nero that was distributed by the Yankees.

"Regarding the unfortunate incident that happened this morning as I was on my way to take a physical, I hope that everyone will understand that the past few days have been a bit overwhelming and I wish I had handled the situation differently," Johnson said. "I am very sorry it happened."

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

News
    Mets centerfielder Mike Cameron previously stated that he'd be willing to move to right if the Mets acquired centerfielder Carlos Beltran. The Mets announced Beltran's signing on Tuesday, and Cameron promptly reversed field. A source told Newsday that Cameron has demanded a trade. The paper lists the Astros, Diamondbacks, and Tigers as potential partners.

Views
    The idea of Beltran and Cameron covering the same outfield had us (and likely Mets' pitchers) excited for a day or two, but apparently Mike isn't as keen on the idea. We'll see if the busy Omar Minaya can find Cameron a new home in the next few days.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Nice to see a player not thinking of himself.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

NEW YORK (AP) -- Just like everyone else, Randy Johnson waited and waited while the deal that would send him to the New York Yankees dragged on for weeks.

``I think everybody got a little tired of it. Kind of like reality TV,'' he said.

No more delays, no more snags -- the Big Unit finally put on his pinstripes. And as dozens of cameras clicked away in a stuffy room packed with reporters, he made his first pitch as a member of baseball's most storied team: an apology.

Johnson opened Tuesday's news conference by talking about his confrontation on a Manhattan sidewalk with a television cameraman on the way to his physical the previous day.

``It was unprofessional and, obviously, I feel very foolish today, at such a great moment in my career, that I would have to sit before all of you, or stand before all you, and apologize for my actions,'' Johnson said.

He said he had seen the video and felt ``terrible'' and ``embarrassed.''

``Come to one of the biggest media markets, one of the winningest franchises in the history of any sport, and that's the way I enter? I'm sorry, I don't know how many more times I can say that,'' he added. ``I hope I can move on and can get another chance to prove that I'm worth coming here.''

ADVERTISEMENT
    All he has to do is deliver the championship owner George Steinbrenner demands.

In a trade in the works for more than a month and agreed to Dec. 30, the Yankees sent pitchers Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey, catcher Dioner Navarro and $9 million to the Arizona Diamondbacks for the 6-foot-10 Johnson.

The five-time Cy Young Award winner got a $32 million, two-year contract extension that runs through 2007, and the deal was finally completed when he aced his medical tests Monday. The 41-year-old left-hander even astounded New York's team doctor because his elbow and shoulder were still in such good shape.

The biggest concern about Johnson is his creaky right knee, which lands on the slope of the mound every time he throws a pitch. He took gel injections last season to keep pitching (he made 35 starts), but this year he thinks the knee, which he says does have cartilage, will feel better because he doesn't have to run or swing a bat in the American League.

So, with the Yankees in dire need of a dominant ace to counter Curt Schilling and the rival Boston Red Sox, Johnson could wind up being the biggest thing in the Bronx south of the zoo. He might even start against Schilling, his old Arizona sidekick, in the season opener on April 3.

``We've had some great moments in history together. If it's not opening day then I'm sure we'll meet somewhere down the line,'' Johnson said.

His No. 51 already taken by Bernie Williams, Johnson will wear No. 41 with the Yankees. He joins a revamped rotation that includes fellow newcomers Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright, plus holdovers Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown.

Mussina is 36, Brown will turn 40 in March and has a bad back, and Wright has a history of shoulder problems, so staying healthy is a big concern for everyone. But the addition of Johnson should ease the burden on the bullpen and all the other starters.

``In more ways than one, a huge addition to our pitching staff,'' manager Joe Torre said in a statement. ``His accomplishments speak for themselves, but he will also make everyone around him much better.''

Blessed with a blazing fastball and a nasty slider that he worked hard to master, Johnson has a 246-128 record with a 3.07 ERA in 17 major league seasons. He also ranks third on the career strikeout list with 4,161.

He was runner-up to Roger Clemens for the NL Cy Young Award last year, but Johnson said the Diamondbacks wanted him to take a 50 percent cut in his 2005 salary -- $16 million -- if they were going to extend his contract. Still one of the best pitchers in baseball, he didn't see why he should have to.

Johnson said he had a close relationship with former Diamondbacks chief executive officer Jerry Colangelo, but never even sat down to talk with the new regime headed by incoming CEO Jeff Moorad.

Now in the Big Apple, Johnson appeared Tuesday on CBS's ``Late Show with David Letterman,'' playfully covering a camera lens with his hand as he walked out on stage. He pledged to accommodate the New York media as much as possible, though he acknowledged he's usually surly on days when he's pitching.

The Yankees aren't so concerned with all that. They're just happy they finally secured the elusive piece that finishes their pitching puzzle.

And it's a big one.

As Johnson slipped on his new cap in the Stadium Club, with paintings of Yankees greats adorning the walls all around him, he towered over diminutive general manager Brian Cashman in front of the podium.

``Probably not a good picture for me,'' Cashman said.

But just what the Yankees were looking for.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

How'd these moves work out for 'em?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    I'd say they worked out pretty well.
    Beltran can now afford to carpet his home in panda skin and he doesn't have to risk injury by playing in those pesky playoff games.

I saw a chart comparing Beltran to Taveras value on a price-per-hit basis.
    I can't remember exactly, but Carlos was at about $100,000 per hit while Willy was $1500 per hit. And ,outside of homeruns, they had very comparable years.

Oh wait...Willy's year isn't over yet.

As for Johnson, he's old, got his ring, and now he losing his abilities.
    He just cashed in at the right time(not that he was hurting).
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Beltran was a superstar for about 3 weeks..PERIOD and the Mets should shoot the chiropractor who told them to stay away from Vlad Guererro.
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Not as well as expected for the Yanks. But, Johnson did win 17 games not too shabby. He'll do better in 2006. He's going to realize that in the AL all 9 batters are good hitters as opposed to 6 or 7 in a NL lineup.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    He's going to realize that in the AL all 9 batters are good hitters as opposed to 6 or 7 in a NL lineup.
    So... How do you explain his success in Seattle? Young and naive? Or, did he just forget that when he LEFT the AL to play in Houston and Arizona?
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

He's going to realize that in the AL all 9 batters are good hitters as opposed to 6 or 7 in a NL lineup.
    Who taught you math? Al Gore?

Even if you discount the pitcher batting (which isn't always wise) the other 8 batters have the potential to be just as good as the top 8 in any American League lineup.

What high priced overaged freeagents do you see George bringing to New York this winter?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What high priced overaged freeagents do you see George bringing to New York this winter?
    I don't know William but we sure as hell aren't going to stand pat.

One or all of your 3 favorite teams are entitled to grab free agents as well.

Why the fuck are you concerned about what the Yanks do?

The AL has much better hitters than the NL. Please.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge
    So... How do you explain his success in Seattle? Young and naive? Or, did he just forget that when he LEFT the AL to play in Houston and Arizona?
    Nothing to explain. It's just soooo easy to get you guys riled up.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I don't know William but we sure as hell aren't going to stand pat.

One or all of your 3 favorite teams are entitled to grab free agents as well.
    And I hope they do a better job of it then the Yank-mes

Why the fuck are you concerned about what the Yanks do?
    'Cause I hate them with every fibre of my being. Why do you ask?

The AL has much better hitters than the NL. Please.
    Yeah, okay.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

'Cause I hate them with every fibre of my being. Why do you ask?
    awww, someone's bitter.
    Last edited by sisca; 10.24.05 at 02:48 AM.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Naw, I hated 'em long before I became bitter...

Why do Yankee fans care so much that I (and many others) hate their precious Bronx Zoo?