Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The Video Game Thread

I can't decide whether to buy the new Nintendo DS ($150) or wait on the Sony PSP ($180).
    I currently have a GameBoy Advance SP and the thing that's drawing me to the DS is that it will play my GameBoy games. The games released so far for the DS are a bit lackluster so far. I saw an online demo for this golf game for the PSP...well, I felt like I just have to have it! I've never owned any of the Sony consoles, but have played my nephews, and I'm a bit skeptical about buying an "unproven" system by Sony (in the PSP). I've just always been a Nintendo player.
    I have the following console systems because I'm pretty much a game freak:
    Atari 2600/5200
    Colecovision
    Intellivision
    Sega Genesis w/32x expansion
    NES
    SuperNES
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo GameCube
    Last edited by FH; 01.11.05 at 04:54 AM.

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Real World Doesn't Use a Joystick
    Source: Wired

After a recent three-day binge of playing the Japanese cult hit video game Katamari Damacy, Los Angeles artist Kozy Kitchens discovered that walking away from the game was not as easy as putting down her joystick.

In the game, players push around what amounts to a giant tape ball, attempting to make the ball bigger by picking up any and all objects in its path. Kitchens found that her urge to keep picking things up was not so easy to shake.

"I was driving down Venice Boulevard," recalled her husband, Dan Kitchens, "and Kozy reached over and grabbed the steering wheel and for a moment was trying to yank it to the right.... (Then) she let go, but kept staring out her window, and then looked back at me kind of stunned and said, 'Sorry. I thought we could pick up that mailbox we just passed.'"

While motorists and pedestrians shouldn't worry too much about rogue Katamari Damacy players, Kozy Kitchens' experience with having a difficult time separating her real-life consciousness from that of her game playing is all too common among hard-core gamers. It's so common, in fact, that game publishers might want to consider warning their customers that they may soon be unable to tell the difference between the game and reality.

"The weird thing was that last night in my half-sleep, half-awake haze, I thought I was playing Katamari Damacy, too, and I kept trying to roll Kozy up in my ball," said Dan Kitchens. "I think I got this just from watching Kozy play the game for hours."

Frequent gamer Alfred Weisberg-Roberts said he often feels lingering effects after playing games like Animal Crossing, in which the point is to collect as many animals and bugs as possible from a wide variety of locations.

"Once, my girlfriend happened upon a tree ... kind of like the round, thin trees in the game, and began to shake it -- one in-game way of receiving money, goods and bees," Weisberg-Roberts said. "When nothing fell from its branches, I think she quickly realized how this must have looked to the other hundred or so people in the park."

Chris Taylor, a staff writer at Time magazine and a regular game reviewer, said he thinks driving games and first-person shooters are particularly likely to make players lose track of reality.

"I just knew the first time I played Burnout 2, the crash part, that I probably shouldn't get behind the wheel of a car for an hour or so afterwards," Taylor said, "because you're expending so much effort on deliberately trying to make your car crash."

Taylor also said that after reviewing Quake III he had trouble getting his mind out of the game.

"I'd play it, then walk out into the office corridor and realize I was looking at my co-workers as potential targets," said Taylor. "I was so used to killing anything that moved."

Any addictive game can have a similar effect: The more someone plays, the more likely they are to stay mentally inside even afterward. And immersive games like Electronic Arts' The Sims are frequently to blame, given the countless hours players put into them.

"When I played (it) a lot," said Laura Martin, a devotee of the game, "I remember thinking, 'What percent of my bladder is full?' to decide if it was time to head to the bathroom."

To Robin Hunicke, a Ph.D. student at Northwestern University who studies video games, it's no surprise that people can have trouble distancing themselves from the games they play.

"Games are about verbs -- the things you do," Hunicke said. "The verbs are the things that you tend to focus on in a gameplay session. Good games focus that attention in a way that feels really satisfying.... So there you are, in your game world, doing your verbs, learning them, practicing and combining them in new ways. And if you do that long enough, there is a residue. Some stuff kind of sticks.... So later, after you put down that controller, you're walking around your apartment, or going to the store in your car ... and suddenly you do something similar, something that trips an 'opportunism' wire in your brain."

And Hunicke said that at that point, people conjure up the enjoyable experiences they've had.

"Maybe I should access that experience," she said. "Maybe there's some way to connect them and repeat -- or avoid -- the experience I had before."

The phenomenon of having difficulty defining reality after hours in front of the screen isn't at all limited to games.

Martin reported similar experiences after four days on an intensive Photoshop project.

"By the time I turned the project in, I was so sleep-deprived and delusional," she said, "that everywhere I looked I had the impulse to correct things, to move the world around in layers."

And Lisa Hoffman, a graphic designer who spends endless hours using various software packages, lamented finding it hard to determine where her computer ends and real life begins.

"I've been using the computer for so long, and command-Z works for undo in all the software programs," Hoffman said. "So whenever I find something in my life that I want to undo, I reach for the command-Z keys and I find it weird that it doesn't work."

Baluchitherium Leo Van Newhouse's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.13 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first computer was that Atari 2600 too. Cool for the time, joystick with one button, that's all you needed. Had some cool games

I don't play games that much any more, none are really interesting, but one that will be released in Feb I believe is Guild Wars. it's an MMRPG and for free. I recommend it to anyone with too much time on his/her hands
    THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT : Representing DAVID LEE ROTH in all his glory!!!!!!!!!

JH: "How was your New Years Eve show at the House Of Blues?"
    DLR: "James...I AM New Years Eve!"

"To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding?" David Lee Roth

"I'm gonna want to rock out w/ my cock out instead of playing anal taper dork." Colonel Sanders

ANOTHER HOSTILE TAKEOVER COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I just recently purchased Doom 3, and have been playing it until about 5 am most mornings. I walked into the bathroom last night at work and peeked around the corner to make sure there weren't any creatures waiting for me.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

all you need is ps2. that's it.
    i recently got rid of all my other systems..
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Baluchitherium Leo Van Newhouse's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.13 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    I just recently purchased Doom 3, and have been playing it until about 5 am most mornings. I walked into the bathroom last night at work and peeked around the corner to make sure there weren't any creatures waiting for me.
    So you walk around the house with a flashlight now huh???
    THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT : Representing DAVID LEE ROTH in all his glory!!!!!!!!!

JH: "How was your New Years Eve show at the House Of Blues?"
    DLR: "James...I AM New Years Eve!"

"To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding?" David Lee Roth

"I'm gonna want to rock out w/ my cock out instead of playing anal taper dork." Colonel Sanders

ANOTHER HOSTILE TAKEOVER COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There are times, when I'm almost asleep, right on the edge of consciousness, when I come back to awareness just enough to realize that in my mind, I'm playing Madden football. Calling plays, actually. Weird.

Madden: "Big players make big plays, and that scores touchdowns."

No shit, John.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    ]Madden: "Big players make big plays, and that scores touchdowns."

No shit, John.
    Madden has always been the best at stating the obvious.

"This is a guy that goes faster when he runs."
    Last edited by Wray; 01.11.05 at 02:52 PM.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

The only new system I own is Game Boy Advance. I think I will buy a DS though, but I am hoping they have better games out for it soon. GBA has awesome games.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    WORD!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    Xbox kills it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Panama / Humans Being
    Last Online

11.28.16 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The other night my friends and I got together drank some beers and played Super Tecmo Football on the original Nintendo. That was a blast, it took me back a few years to say the least, plus the joystick/controller was a lot easier to use then the ones out now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 10:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    Xbox kills it.
    How so? Besides Halo and Halo 2, what other X-Box exclusive games make it so great? And ya the graphics are better, but not by much and that doesnt mean much if theres not a good game to play on it. Give me gameplay over graphics anyday.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love my X-Box.

I also love Ghost Recon 2. I'm getting Mercinaries and Halo 2 next week.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i wish i had more time for my ps2... fatherhood has kicked in the last two years, so it gives way to other things...

the ps2 definitely does have a bigger selection of titles to play, though...

when's the psp coming?