Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Manning wins 2nd straight MVP

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Peyton Manning's phenomenal season earned him his second straight Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award. He was nearly a unanimous choice.

The Indianapolis Colts' star quarterback, who surpassed Dan Marino and Steve Young with his passing prowess in 2004, earned all but one of 48 votes from a national panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. Manning tied with Steve McNair for the award last season, but this time only Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick drew a vote.

Manning joined the likes of Joe Montana, John Unitas, Steve Young and Kurt Warner as quarterbacks with two MVP awards. Brett Favre is the only player to win it three times.

``Individually, I accomplished a lot in a short period of time,'' Manning said. ``But no question, we did not win a Super Bowl in the time I've been here as a quarterback.''

Ever the team man, and ever championship-oriented, Manning refuses to concentrate on his statistics. He might have thrown for 49 touchdowns, surpassing Dan Marino's 20-year-old NFL record. And he may have shattered Young's passer rating record with a 121.1 mark. And he might have established other league marks and a bunch more team records.

But to Manning, unless it all culminates in a championship, it's not what he's after.

``Just because you played well in Week 2 or Week 10 doesn't mean anything for the playoffs,'' Manning said. ``Except that you're capable of doing it.''

Manning was capable of doing almost anything in leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and the AFC South title. They routed Denver 49-24 in the first round of the playoffs -- the MVP voting was held before the postseason -- and play at New England on Sunday.

He also turned two of his previously unaccomplished receivers, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, into threats almost on a par with Manning's favorite target, perennial Pro Bowler Marvin Harrison. All caught at least 10 touchdown passes and went over 1,000 yards in receiving -- an unprecedented combination for three teammates.

``Peyton is such a competitor, he has such high expectations to go out and win,'' Wayne said. ``You want to make a play for him and bail him out of tough situations.''

Tough situations? Manning tends to make everything look easy.

Sort of like Young and Montana and Unitas and Warner and Favre did. But all of them have that championship along with their MVPs. Manning doesn't.

And it drives him to do even more.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't believe someone actually didn't vote for him...

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I can. A certain #5 has had a great year as well.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indeed. But Manning had the best season for a QB in the history of the game.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Arguably, yes you're right. I won't go there though because you know how I feel about dome QB's.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Manning earned it this year over anyone else.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wray
    Manning had the best season for a QB in the history of the game.
    Agreed. He totally deserved it. Hope he gets a ring.

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was a shock. Saw it on the espn ticker this morning. If the Falcons cant win it. I hope the colts do. So Manning could have one of the best seasons ever for a QB.
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/"5150"
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/"5150"
    Last Online

02.09.12 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Manning can win the MVP every year for all I care - the best postseason QB is Tom Brady.
    It's like comparing Marino and Montana - stats are great but I'll take the championships.
    New England Patriots.
    Super Bowl XXXVI Champions
    Super Bowl XXXVIII Champions
    Super Bowl XXXIX Champions

"My favorite ring is the next one..." - Tom Brady

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo21
    Manning can win the MVP every year for all I care - the best postseason QB is Tom Brady.
    It's like comparing Marino and Montana - stats are great but I'll take the championships.

AMEN! Well put!
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Arguably, yes you're right. I won't go there though because you know how I feel about dome QB's.
    I think Culpepper proved yesterday without a doubt, that he can play well outside of a dome. And if any other QB other than Manning got a sniff at a MVP vote it should have been Culpepper, not Vick! After Culpepper, then McNabb, not Vick. Vick without his legs is just an average QB. Culpepper and McNabb can beat you either way. Manning is just Manning.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo21
    If Manning had New Englands defense backing him up, he would be wearing a couple of rings. He's the best QB out there, period.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I don't believe that to be true. Peyton has not won that big game. McNabb hasn't, nor has Vick, Culp, or McNair. Until they do, they will not convince me that they are better QB's than Tom Brady. That cat rolled off what, 22, 23 games without a loss? Because let's face it, that's what matters. Wins and losses, not stats. That's why the Pats were resting over the weekend, and the Colts had to play. They are a better team, and I think that the better team will win. It'll be tough, but I think they can do it.

Peyton did deserve this though, so I won't even try to take that away for him. He had a spectacular year, no doubt.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 01.10.05 at 01:31 PM.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    I think Culpepper proved yesterday without a doubt, that he can play well outside of a dome. And if any other QB other than Manning got a sniff at a MVP vote it should have been Culpepper, not Vick! After Culpepper, then McNabb, not Vick. Vick without his legs is just an average QB. Culpepper and McNabb can beat you either way. Manning is just Manning.
    Vike, the Vikings have lost 22 out of their last 26 games outside of a dome, or some shit like that. I forget that exact stat, but I do know that it's not pretty. One game doesn't proove anything to me that he can play outside. The Packers are a BAD football, team and they showed that yesterday without a doubt. They can not play, and that's why they lost. Even with that though, the Pack still could have won!

Just looked it up, the Vikes only won four games outside a dome this year. All of them being close, with the exception of the Tennessee game which they won 20-3.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 01.10.05 at 01:43 PM.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    I think Culpepper proved yesterday without a doubt, that he can play well outside of a dome. And if any other QB other than Manning got a sniff at a MVP vote it should have been Culpepper, not Vick!
    You are correct Viking. Culpepper is better than Vick as a Q.B. Manning is the man this year, he did things that are going to be hard to beat. Now he just needs to win a Super Bowl ring to get the critics to shut the fuck up.
    Also, Culpepper not only proved he could play outside a dome, but at Lambeau in the cold
    Just go for it!