villains
    Favorite VH Song

cup of tea
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default so i wanna play guitar...

hi guys.

i bought my five year old daughter a starter acoustic guitar for christmas. she really likes it but i cannot put the thing down. the first time i hit a chord that probably doesn't even have a name i was hooked!

so, obviously i have some questions...

1.) do you recommend teaching myself? if so, is there any literature or instructional tapes/books you would recommend?

2.) are there any 'exercises' or 'guitar drills' you would recommend for increasing the coordination of my fingers. i'm talking about basic strumming or any other simple thing i should be practicing over and over.

3.) the only way i can hit a chord is if i really try to not 'fat finger' a fret, i.e. when your finger is on two strings and it makes that dull, beginner sound. i wonder if this is because it's my daughters guitar and the strings are closer together or if hitting a chord truly requires that much discipline?

thanks guys!

jay

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Answer to #1.

It's a good idea to have a couple of lessons in the beginning. It's easier to learn it right the first time than to unlearn a bad technique. There are a ton of DVD and book options out there for you today, that's where a teacher would come in most handy. I'm not saying you commit to a ton of lessons but three or four wouldn't hurt and will go a long way.

#2.

There are a bunch of strumming, finger picking and chord/scale excercises. It this point the best thing to do is play. You can pick up a guitar magazine with three or four songs and learn them, or find the music for your favorite band/album and just learn the songs and strum away. Obviously, this is where a teacher would come in handy because he could just show you and then you are off and running. Those magazines will have some nasty drills too, most of them will be in the advanced column but hey, you got nothing to loose.

#3.

There are easy chords and there are hard chords. You might think about getting a second guitar for yourself with a wider neck. Guitar selection is important. The flip side is that with a narrow neck you will be able to play comlex chords sooner and easier but they may sound like doo doo. The thing is to learn to voice the chords properly at first, over time what you will do is alter those chords and their voicings to simplify them, some songs demand that you do this. Learn it right the first time though, before you screw them up.

You sound normal though, welcome to our world.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) I would recommend lessons. It's really the best way to get good as fast as possible. Until then, look online or just ask questions here. Take it slow. Don't try to learn too much at once. There's a lot of information to digest. Learn for half an hour and just noodle around with it for a half hour. Keep it interesting. If you don't, you'll get frustrated real quick.

2) Pick a song that's easy to strum along to. Like Every Rose Has it's Thorn by Poison is great for beginners. It's only three chords, slow tempo, and actually a lot of fun to play. I think it's important to learn a recognizable song ASAP. You realize right then just how easy playing CAN be and more importantly, how some of these chords work together.

3) First learn the basic E, A, D and G chords. They're the easiest to finger and they're used all...the...time in songs. Start with one, say a G, put your fingers on the strings and strum it. Then, take your fingers off the neck and finger it again, and again, and again, and again. The most important part is repetition. Then move on to the next one.

**ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN TUNE, NEVER PLAY A GUITAR THAT OUT OF TUNE WHEN YOUR'RE JUST STARTING. **

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In fact, you should practice tuning your guitar by ear. Get the low E and then go from there.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

just play,play,play.
    try and hear favorite songs, and then find some of the notes on the guitar..also, take the advice of these guys here, they wont steer you wrong!!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

I agree with everything everyone else posted. Bottom line is you have to spend time on it. Lessons are probably the way to go for you. I played for about 2 years before taking lessons and I now wish I would of taken the lessons earlier.

I suggest learning some simple things that are really cool.

Wild Thing...........E A B Chords

Ain't talkin About Love minus the solo and pick slides etc. is pretty simple............basically A minor and a G chord

stuff like that, I think you get the point.............which is don't forget to HAVE FUN otherwise you'll put it down.
    Last edited by Dr5115; 01.14.05 at 06:01 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.04.05 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the insider
    hi guys.

i bought my five year old daughter a starter acoustic guitar for christmas. she really likes it but i cannot put the thing down. the first time i hit a chord that probably doesn't even have a name i was hooked!

so, obviously i have some questions...

1.) do you recommend teaching myself? if so, is there any literature or instructional tapes/books you would recommend?

2.) are there any 'exercises' or 'guitar drills' you would recommend for increasing the coordination of my fingers. i'm talking about basic strumming or any other simple thing i should be practicing over and over.

3.) the only way i can hit a chord is if i really try to not 'fat finger' a fret, i.e. when your finger is on two strings and it makes that dull, beginner sound. i wonder if this is because it's my daughters guitar and the strings are closer together or if hitting a chord truly requires that much discipline?

thanks guys!

jay
    Hi Jay,

If you are looking for a learning resource you can try my site www.GuitarKnowledgeNet.com it has a bunch of resources for people wanting to learn play guitar. This includes "drills" and other technical and theory related lessons. If you need a hand with it just drop me a line.

Hope it helps,
    Mike
    Last edited by mike7771; 01.15.05 at 05:02 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Not really VH based, but:

One tune that I took to in particular, both with joy and disgust, was "Pour Some Sugar On Me", when I first picked up the guitar. Slow & simple. Yet I had to concentrate on those chord changes back then.

I was watching VH-1 today, and it occurred to me that if I had a 13 year old son who had just borrowed a guitar (which is how I learned), I'd probably recommend Lenny Kravitz's "Lady".

I really like this song, I like the Alias commercial that it accompanies, and I think it's modern/current enough for a younger player to appreciate.

Barre Chords up the wazzo, and j-u-s-t slow enough to be mastered by someone who has only been playing anywhere from 1-4 months. Not counting the solo, of course. Although with practice, that would be easy as well.

Damn, I guess the song is perfect!