Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Good Enough Thai Boxer 9901's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Age
    29
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho U.S.A
    Posts
    2,638
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    Dont have one
    Last Online

    08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

    Striker Fret buzz

    Hey guys, I'm sure this quesion has been answered more than once but I'm curious on how you get rid of fret buzz with a floating floyd? Whenever I play some random chord, I always get fret buzz on all of the strings. And its dam near impossible to use that thing without something going out of tune cuz now my 3rd string wont stay in tune unless I pull back on the floyd. And setting up the action was a pain in the ass by itself so if you have any suggestions, that would be great
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

    BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

    11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

    8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

  2. #2
    Eruption TheMightyCopenHalenII's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.20.01
    Location
    Liberal's Paradise
    Posts
    706
    Favorite VH Album

    All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

    Too many to name
    Last Online

    07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Hey guys, I'm sure this quesion has been answered more than once but I'm curious on how you get rid of fret buzz with a floating floyd? Whenever I play some random chord, I always get fret buzz on all of the strings. And its dam near impossible to use that thing without something going out of tune cuz now my 3rd string wont stay in tune unless I pull back on the floyd. And setting up the action was a pain in the ass by itself so if you have any suggestions, that would be great
    Hmm. The fret buzz is inherent to the actual setup of the axe, not merely that it's a floater, which are a pain in the ass anyhow. First you gotta run through some things.

    1. Is your bridge parallel to the body of the guitar?
    2. Have you fucked with the spring tension since you've bought it (or was the setup shit from the start)?
    3. I'm assuming you bought this guitar new, so I'm assuming the frets are in good shape, even though some new axes may need a dress and level.
    4. Have you you sighted down the neck and/or tweaked the truss rod since you've bought the axe?
    5. It may be worth checking out a tremsetter unless you don't like your axe setup that way.
    6. Also, are you tightening the nut sufficiently - and does the nut have any extreme wear? Are the strings wound cleanly and correctly, and also sufficiently tightened at the bridge end?
    7. I'm assuming when you say "some random chord" you mean that with any chord you strike you are getting fret buzz?
    8. Are you getting this fret buzz when you're playing unplugged, plugged in, or both?
    9. Have you set the intonation on the axe?

    Well, when you answer some of these questions Thai, hopefully one of us will be able to help you out better. Good luck dude.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

  3. #3
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.17.02
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    93
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Hey guys, I'm sure this quesion has been answered more than once but I'm curious on how you get rid of fret buzz with a floating floyd? Whenever I play some random chord, I always get fret buzz on all of the strings. And its dam near impossible to use that thing without something going out of tune cuz now my 3rd string wont stay in tune unless I pull back on the floyd. And setting up the action was a pain in the ass by itself so if you have any suggestions, that would be great
    Here's what I do:

    -Block the Floyd so bottom of bridge is parallel with top of body. Makes life much easier.
    -Check to see if neck and bridge radius' match. Shim saddles if they dont.
    -String up tune up. Stretch each string and retune until they stay in tune.
    -set relief (.003") at 9th when fretting the 1st and last fret, action (each E 1/16" at 12th) and intonation. In that order.
    -Let sit overnite, recheck next day. Make any adjustments if necessary.

    Should be good to go, assuming the frets are ok.

    Sounds like your 3rd string is getting caught up on something or maybe not clamped down tight enough? Maybe the wrap is shifting a bit. A TINY bit of solder would stop that or just snip it off and see what happens.

    All the strings buzzing at once all over the neck usually happens when the action is too low. In the 1st half of the neck if there isnt enough relief, in the 2nd half of the neck if there is too much.

    I'm far from a pro, but this what if come across so far.

  4. #4
    Good Enough Thai Boxer 9901's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Age
    29
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho U.S.A
    Posts
    2,638
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    Dont have one
    Last Online

    08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII
    Hmm. The fret buzz is inherent to the actual setup of the axe, not merely that it's a floater, which are a pain in the ass anyhow. First you gotta run through some things.

    1. Is your bridge parallel to the body of the guitar?
    2. Have you fucked with the spring tension since you've bought it (or was the setup shit from the start)?
    3. I'm assuming you bought this guitar new, so I'm assuming the frets are in good shape, even though some new axes may need a dress and level.
    4. Have you you sighted down the neck and/or tweaked the truss rod since you've bought the axe?
    5. It may be worth checking out a tremsetter unless you don't like your axe setup that way.
    6. Also, are you tightening the nut sufficiently - and does the nut have any extreme wear? Are the strings wound cleanly and correctly, and also sufficiently tightened at the bridge end?
    7. I'm assuming when you say "some random chord" you mean that with any chord you strike you are getting fret buzz?
    8. Are you getting this fret buzz when you're playing unplugged, plugged in, or both?
    9. Have you set the intonation on the axe?

    Well, when you answer some of these questions Thai, hopefully one of us will be able to help you out better. Good luck dude.
    The floyd is parallel with the body and I only have 2 springs in a V form. There were 3 but I like 2 but maybe I should but the 3rd one back in.

    The set up was shit from the beginning. I had to adjust the truss rod cuz it was bowing really bad.

    The frets look like shit, especially near the 19th to 24th. It looks like they got this weird lookin oil shit on them.

    I set the intonation so that all of the saddles are in line with each other. I still havent figured out how to do intonation on floyds

    I get fret buzz when I'm not plugged in and when I'm plugged in

    when I play any chord, the buzz is all I hear sometimes

    I make sure that the nut is tight and the bridge screws are tightened down as well.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

    BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

    11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

    8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

  5. #5
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    01.17.02
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    93
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    If the frets are that bad dont bother. Take it to a tech and get a fret dressing and a set-up. If they are really worn down it might need a refret which is expensive. Pick up Erlewines' "How to make your Electric Guitar play great". Lotta good info in there.

  6. #6
    Eruption TheMightyCopenHalenII's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.20.01
    Location
    Liberal's Paradise
    Posts
    706
    Favorite VH Album

    All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

    Too many to name
    Last Online

    07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    The floyd is parallel with the body and I only have 2 springs in a V form. There were 3 but I like 2 but maybe I should but the 3rd one back in.

    The set up was shit from the beginning. I had to adjust the truss rod cuz it was bowing really bad.

    The frets look like shit, especially near the 19th to 24th. It looks like they got this weird lookin oil shit on them.

    I set the intonation so that all of the saddles are in line with each other. I still havent figured out how to do intonation on floyds

    I get fret buzz when I'm not plugged in and when I'm plugged in

    when I play any chord, the buzz is all I hear sometimes

    I make sure that the nut is tight and the bridge screws are tightened down as well.
    Ok, first off let's tackle the process of intonation. Hit the 12th fret harmonic, then hit the fretted note at the 12th fret. If the fretted note is sharp you need to increase the string length - thereby moving the saddle towards the rear of the guitar checking and rechecking until the intonation is set - in other words the 12th fret harmonic/12 fret fretted note match precisely. If the fretted note is flat, you need to decrease string length - thereby moving the saddle towards the headstock, following the same intonation procedures. Be advised, don't perform a setup or intonation with old fucked up strings. Use new strings and tune the guitar to A440 (concert pitch - at least it used to be). Don't forget to stretch the strings around three times while you're tuning them to pitch.

    Don't be worried about the "oil lookin shit" on the frets. If it's new that's not out of the ordinary. What I'm asking about is if the frets look worn out - if they have any deep string indentations/fret wear. Also are the frets level. You can check this by way of a good straight edge - laying the straight edge across the frets the way a string would lie, in essence parallel to the fret. Don't fret about the straight edge just yet, and move on to your action.

    Make sure your new strings are wound correctly and cleanly, and cut at a right angle not leaving a tag end as a life line long enough to reach fucking China. Unless you're one of those guys that likes to stick the ball end through the post.

    If your axe came with a manual, make sure you have a decent feeler gauge to check your action. Before this, I want you to fuck around with the whang bar, and check to see whether or not it feels to loose. If you've stayed with the same string gauge, you may want to add the spring that was previously attached to correct your tension. Make sure to block your trem so it doesn't fuck up your body. Try the factory specs. - bass side and treble side heights. Set up the height, then set your intonation. Check for buzz and sight down the neck. If you're comfortable, try making small adjustments with the truss rod, but ONLY if it truly needs it. Remember, a little buzz when your unplugged is ok. Don't drive yourself nuts with that. If it's making you insane, consider taking it in to a good tech. Also check out some literature - Dan Erlewine makes good books for beginners in different areas of guitar. Good luck dude and let us know how it turns out.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

  7. #7
    Good Enough Thai Boxer 9901's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.08.03
    Age
    29
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho U.S.A
    Posts
    2,638
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    Dont have one
    Last Online

    08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Well guys, it finally works now. I'm still getting some fret buzz from the 1st 3 strings on any chord but thats better than all of the strings buzzing. I also got the intonation right (That was a bitch!). I still dont know if I got everything right so I'm gunna take it up to my local luthier and see what he can do with it but for the most part it works better than how it worked before.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

    BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

    11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

    8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. fret board tapping on a banjo..
    By Infamous in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08.28.06, 05:09 AM
  2. I hate fret buzz!!
    By Thai Boxer 9901 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10.05.05, 10:25 PM
  3. Michael Angelo in GW 42nd Fret!?!
    By Ted Van Halen in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06.14.05, 04:55 PM
  4. Fret life? Help please.
    By Flet in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.25.05, 10:01 AM
  5. Fret Work
    By FAN4EVER in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11.20.02, 03:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •