Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150gurl View Post
    Wondering if you could link me to this MusicRadar interview with Joe, looper_guy?? Please and thanks.
    Absolutely.
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...lawsuit-185914

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

03.06.15 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, my friend!!
    "Make no mistake. Eddie Van Halen can still kick your ass. The man who single-handedly changed the face of rock is still mean, lean, and sharp as a tack. And if you dispute the ownership of the crown, try to imagine a world without him."~~Billy Corgan/Guitar World (April 1996)

"There's a plaque on our wall that says we've sold over 65 million albums, and I don't feel I've accomplished anything. I feel like I'm just getting started."~~Edward Van Halen

( ( (d(-_-)b) ) )

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 2,673 Times in 1,503 Posts

If this lawsuit could somehow silence Coldplay for good, it would at least accomplish something worthy. This Viva La Vida album is so bland and generic, it's like the musical equivalent of a mall.

I would think visiting Gwyneth Paltrow's inner regions on a regular basis would give the guy at least some inspiration...
    Little Dreamer

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.23.14 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cold Play has responded. I hope they get their asses handed to them by Joe.

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

NEW YORK (AP) - Coldplay has fired back against accusations they copied another artist's work for their hit "Viva La Vida."

In a statement released on Tuesday, the band responded to a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by guitarist Joe Satriani last week in federal court in Los Angeles. That lawsuit says the Grammy-nominated song contains "substantial, original portions" of his 2004 song, "If I Could Fly."

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations," read the statement. "If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song 'Viva La Vida.' We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this and wish him well with all future endeavours."

Satriani, 52, wants a federal judge to order an accounting so he can determine how much money he may be owed, or else stop using the song.

In response to Coldplay's statement, Satriani's lawyer, Howard E. King, said Coldplay's public reaction was dramatically different from how the guitarist's claims were treated before the lawsuit was filed.

"We attempted to have a dialogue on this before we went public," King said. "We felt almost forced to file suit."

"As far as the 'coincidence,' ultimately that's for a jury to decide," he added.

King said it's common for musicians to be influenced by other works and incorporate it into their own, sometimes a little too closely. But he said that the reaction is usually different when the similarities are pointed out.

"It doesn't mean you don't owe something to the original composer," he said.

Coldplay is one of the world's top-selling pop acts, and their latest CD, "Viva La Vida," has sold nearly 2 million copies in the United States alone. It was nominated last week for seven Grammys, including album of the year and record of the year for the title track.

---

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

At this point, there really wasn't much more Coldplay could say other than "OK, we'll see ya in court". You can't expect them to come out with a press release admitting that they stole Satriani's tune lock, stock and barrel, as the statement would be used against them in the court proceeding.

There is also nothing negative toward Joe personally, which also would have worked against them not only at the hearing, yet in the court of public opinion as well.

All in all, a predictable move. Somewhat more sane than the lawyer of Axl Rose, who fired off a by now expectedly unhinged blast at the makers of Dr. Pepper for a failed marketing scheme:

"Our clients are outraged at your treatment of their fans and the American public in general," Guns N' Roses lawyer Alan Gutman wrote in a letter to Dr Pepper Snapple Group CEO Larry Young. "This offer was an unmitigated disaster which defrauded consumers and, in the eyes of vocal fans, 'ruined' the day of Chinese Democracy's release."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008...oses-dr-pepper

For further reading, see:
    http://promomagazine.com/news/guns-n...drpepper-1203/
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 06:51 PM
    Liked 1,200 Times in 782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    At this point, there really wasn't much more Coldplay could say other than "OK, we'll see ya in court". You can't expect them to come out with a press release admitting that they stole Satriani's tune lock, stock and barrel, as the statement would be used against them in the court proceeding.

There is also nothing negative toward Joe personally, which also would have worked against them not only at the hearing, yet in the court of public opinion as well.

All in all, a predictable move. Somewhat more sane than the lawyer of Axl Rose, who fired off a by now expectedly unhinged blast at the makers of Dr. Pepper for a failed marketing scheme:

"Our clients are outraged at your treatment of their fans and the American public in general," Guns N' Roses lawyer Alan Gutman wrote in a letter to Dr Pepper Snapple Group CEO Larry Young. "This offer was an unmitigated disaster which defrauded consumers and, in the eyes of vocal fans, 'ruined' the day of Chinese Democracy's release."

It's time to up the dosage.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

05.21.20 @ 12:30 PM
    Liked 545 Times in 297 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

LOL! Chef..that Dr. Pepper situation still makes me laugh!

I agree that their response was the only thing they could do. And let's not forget that you are reading a document issued by a lawyer. I am sure Chris Martin is not sitting down at the computer and typing out the response.

Now to address some of the other responses.....
    You know...I have chimed in on this type of thing in the past and feel the need to do it again....I can never understand some responses, specifically the "I hope this shuts Coldplay up forever" comments. So some people hate Coldplay (you could use pretty much any band here) but why would you want a band that so many people like to disappear? You don't like it? Don't listen to it. Perfect example...The Doors. I can't fucking stand the sound of The Doors. Not a single song....in fact I once smashed my knee on a coffee table as I was literally diving across the living room to turn Light My Fire off. That was the key...I turned it off. I didn't wish all their CD's would instantly vanish or that no one else on the planet had the chance to enjoy The Doors. And I certainly wouldn't go in the Doors thread and write the typical "How can you guys listen to this shit? You are fucked up!!!"

With that said there was a time in my life when I would have done that..you know...my teen years, maybe early 20's. But I guess the attitude to let people enjoy what they enjoy and accept differences in tastes comes with maturity.

Personally I just hope this gets cleaned up loooooong before the Chickenfoot project comes out. Otherwise every interview at that time is going to revolve around the lawsuit instead of the music. We have been waiting too long for this CD to have it over shadowed by this crap.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    LOL! Chef..that Dr. Pepper situation still makes me laugh!

I agree that their response was the only thing they could do. And let's not forget that you are reading a document issued by a lawyer. I am sure Chris Martin is not sitting down at the computer and typing out the response.

You know...I have chimed in on this type of thing in the past and feel the need to do it again....I can never understand some responses, specifically the "I hope this shuts Coldplay up forever" comments. So some people hate Coldplay (you could use pretty much any band here) but why would you want a band that so many people like to disappear? You don't like it? Don't listen to it. Perfect example...The Doors. I can't fucking stand the sound of The Doors. Not a single song....in fact I once smashed my knee on a coffee table as I was literally diving across the living room to turn Light My Fire off. That was the key...I turned it off. I didn't wish all their CD's would instantly vanish or that no one else on the planet had the chance to enjoy The Doors. And I certainly wouldn't go in the Doors thread and write the typical "How can you guys listen to this shit? You are fucked up!!!"

With that said there was a time in my life when I would have done that..you know...my teen years, maybe early 20's. But I guess the attitude to let people enjoy what they enjoy and accept differences in tastes comes with maturity.

Personally I just hope this gets cleaned up loooooong before the Chickenfoot project comes out. Otherwise every interview at that time is going to revolve around the lawsuit instead of the music. We have been waiting too long for this CD to have it over shadowed by this crap.
    Damn straight!

I don't wish Coldplay would go away....I just don't like them AT ALL. And if, something were to happen that would make them go away. I wouldn't really care.

Not saying something will happen, but IF

Like if Coldplay (as a band) were to come to suffer some unfortunate accident like they all started fighting.

But then again, I never said that.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

05.21.20 @ 12:30 PM
    Liked 545 Times in 297 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Damn straight!

I don't wish Coldplay would go away....I just don't like them AT ALL. And if, something were to happen that would make them go away. I wouldn't really care.

Not saying something will happen, but IF

Like if Coldplay (as a band) were to come to suffer some unfortunate accident like they all started fighting.

But then again, I never said that.
    Don't worry...you will grow out of that.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Don't worry...you will grow out of that.
    That's what my parents told me.

That reminds me, I gotta go by some Huggies XL.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 2,677 Times in 1,798 Posts

Right on - except I don't know what the hell a Chickenfoot is. I never injured myself trying to "silence" the Doors, but that's moreso because I primarily listen to the radio only in the car and don't have far to go to hit the button.

I do wish all rap "music" would go away, though - I don't care how many people claim they like it. Maybe if they heard some real music played properly, they'd change their tune!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.25.20 @ 05:16 AM
    Liked 7,408 Times in 3,860 Posts

I have no problem with shitty music like Coldplay. The problem I have is when people think Coldplay are the best thing since U2 because Rolling Stone is sucking their left tit.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I have no problem with shitty music like Coldplay. The problem I have is when people think Coldplay are the best thing since U2 because Rolling Stone is sucking their left tit.
    Exactly.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

05.05.20 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts

I was a big Satch fan back in the 80's when only guitarists knew who he was. Got "Not of this earth" and "Surfing ..." and even that "Dreaming #11" thing he did. I listened to it day and night. "Flying in a blue dream" I loved bits of, especially the last few pieces, but for some reason "The extremist" didn't grab me and, until recently, I hadn't heard anything since then.

So yesterday I was looking through cd racks and saw Satch and thought what the hell so I have just bought "Crystal planet". I'll be honest, the first listen through and I was completely underwhelmed. The production is shit (all mids, no bass or trebles) and his guitar is extremely processed and distant. As usual, and strangely for such talented gits, the rhyhm section is dull beyond belief.

Saying that, it is growing on me a bit. A couple of the tracks, "Time" in particular, are very strong but I just feel that somewhere along the line, his writing skills left him. there are moments of brilliance on the cd, but nothing consistent. I mean, this is the kid who write "Hordes of locusts" and "Surfing with the alien" and "Brother john" and "The forgotten" and "Midnight". He is still a great guitar player, maybe better with age, but I will say that I am far more excited about what he will do in a group context (chickenfoot) than I am about his instrumental cds. Maybe I'm just spoilt since I switched to spanish guitar. When it comes to talent on 6 strings, these guys wipe the rock crowd way completely every time.

Still, it's quite a nice little trip back in time for me; sitting around listening to a "new" satch album and I don't doubt I shall now end up buying all of the ones i missed, just for that gem or two on each cd.

Recommendations for the best buys? Anything post extremist ....
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.22.20 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Default Way to go Joe!

Congratulations to Joe Satriani! His tune "If I could Fly" just won the Grammy for Song of the Year! Of course, everyone knows the song as Vida la Vida ever since Coldplay stole Joe's work.

Hope it works out for Joe in the courts.
    "Everything comes to me while I'm sitting on the pot." - EVH