Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 3,078 Times in 1,887 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Hetfield is so awesome.

Dear God though, watching that, I came away with this thought...Lars really sucks as a professional level drummer.
    Plenty of videos of Lars messing during gigs up on You Tube. I'm not into Metallica never been to a show but I think he's a nut case too.

You can say what you want but I don't think there's any videos of
    even Charlie Watts fucking up during Stones shows?Or a ton of other big name rock drummers. Lars is the king of fuck ups.
    Last edited by edwardv; 11.08.18 at 04:51 AM.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

11.16.18 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 11,133 Times in 6,727 Posts

Premium Member

Lars was going to be fired after the MOP tour by James and Cliff.

Never knew that.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 2,488 Times in 1,309 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Was that when James spat on him?
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 1,277 Times in 787 Posts

Premium Member

There was the Playboy interview (I picked it up for the interview) with Metallica, back around 2000. James said something along the lines of, Lars is never going to be named drummer of the year".

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 2,637 Times in 1,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Plenty of videos of Lars messing during gigs up on You Tube. I'm not into Metallica never been to a show but I think he's a nut case too.

You can say what you want but I don't think there's any videos of
    even Charlie Watts fucking up during Stones shows?Or a ton of other big name rock drummers. Lars is the king of fuck ups.
    Yes, Lars is very average for a Metal/Rock drummer, sometimes below average.

I know METAL is not your thing, but you gotta be kidding with this comparison. Watts is not out there playing anything fast or with some crazy time signatures. He sure as fuck is NOT double bass drumming....lol..... Watts is not playing Dyers Eve......lol....

At least compare apples to apples. Compare Lars with Lombardo, Menza, McBrian, Portnoy, V Paul, Benante, ect......
    Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 11.08.18 at 08:34 AM.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Never knew that.
    That was mostly Kirk retelling the story.

Rumours that Metallica once considered firing Lars Ulrich have been just that – until now. Guitarist Kirk Hammett, in an interview with PYX 106, confirms that the group actually talked about letting its co-founding drummer go – though Hammett is quick to caution against making too much about it.

Kirk - "You know, that was just an old thing, I think at one point or another, we were pissed off at Lars, around maybe 1985 or something. We were unhappy, and we might have grumbled something to someone. And then that person might have picked up on it and made it something a lot bigger than it actually was."

Over time, Metallica apparently worked out whatever issue there had been with Ulrich 30 years ago. "To be completely honest, Lars has a lot of drive, and that's a part of the reason why I love the man, His drive and his motivation is just so intense, you know?"

++++

Lars - "It's certainly not something that I was ever aware of," he tells Metal Forces. "But I can tell you that there's been other times as we've cruised along where there's been some friction with this band member or that band member, and where things were a little awkward with this particular guy, or whatever.

"When you have a collective entity like METALLICA, that's been together for 35 years, there are different times on that journey where the idea of what to do next in a particular sticky dynamic has brought upon different options of different potential resolutions," he continues. "There were times when Kirk was kinda floating out there, and there were a couple of times when Hetfield was kinda floating out there, and there were different times when I was kinda floating out there, so it was very possible."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    The full '89 Mountain View show is now up on youtube if anyone wants to check it out....

This show is great. Incredible RAW snapshot of the band at the time in 1989. Proshot video, Soundboard Audio with no production.

Is the concert some perfectly played rock opera??.......NO. If you want polish and production, probably NOT FOR YOU. It is raw as fuck. It is a good time, band and crowd having fun. Drinking Coors Light out of a red solo cup kind of fun...... Great setlist.

For me in my mid-40s, this was my era. High School. Some Van Halen fans were still into Love Walks In and Feels So Good. I turned to these 4 guys in Metallica.
    Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 11.08.18 at 09:15 AM.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 3,332 Times in 1,679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    This show is great. Incredible RAW snapshot of the band at the time in 1989. Proshot video, Soundboard Audio with no production.

Is the concert some perfectly played rock opera??.......NO. If you want polish and production, probably NOT FOR YOU. It is raw as fuck. It is a good time, band and crowd having fun. Drinking Coors Light out of a red solo cup kind of fun...... Great setlist.

For me in my mid-40s, this was my era. High School. Some Van Halen fans were still into Love Walks In and Feels So Good. I turned to these 4 guys in Metallica.
    That's why I love venue-filmed shows, and a bunch have been filmed at Mountain View.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

11.15.18 @ 05:29 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

Premium Member

I've never even sat behind a drum kit, so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've always loved the drums on "Outlaw Torn."

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,459 Times in 820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    You could caption this picture "Past and Future." Monsters of Rock is where it had to be clear Van Halen's day in the sun was beginning to wane and a new thing was on the horizon. At school I definitely noticed the Motley Crue and Ratt t-shirts disappearing and Metallica and Megadeth ones popping up in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Dear God though, watching that, I came away with this thought...Lars really sucks as a professional level drummer.
    It's in vogue to knock Kirk's guitar playing, but it's got to be hard to execute a solo when you never know where the beat will be. I saw that Bulgaria Big 4 show in the theater as well as got the DVD, and I swear there's times Lars just stops and plays the hi-hat as he tries to figure out where the rest of the band is at. And you'll hear James and Kirk hesitate before a big chord because they can't be sure if Lars is on the same page for the downbeat.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 509 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    The full '89 Mountain View show is now up on youtube if anyone wants to check it out....

just opened first beer of the week. going to put this show on youtube on my 55 inch plasma. hell + yeah !!
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    just opened first beer of the week. going to put this show on youtube on my 55 inch plasma. hell + yeah !!
    Hell Yeah... Hack. Your a few beers behind me this week though.....

Maybe I'll start at the beginning....

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 509 Posts

Premium Member

Hell Yeah... Hack. Your a few beers behind me this week though.....

Maybe I'll start at the beginning....

i'm posting some pics tomorrow my friend...
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1,867 Times in 876 Posts

This footage is amazing... There is some footage of Seattle with raw audio too out there. When they released the "Black" album, a TV show here played a documentary type thing for it which had a lot of the footage that turned up on the "Year and a half in the life" documentary that was released a few years later. In that footage, they showed Master of Puppets from Seattle 89 and it sounded amazing. It started from when Jason comes out as sits during his solo and starts playing "To Live Is To Die" and then James and Kirk come out and jam too which then swings into Puppets. The sounds is definitely better on the raw footage. Its sounds a lot different in the official release. They fix a lot of "Kirk's" fuck ups especially in that harmonized part before James solo.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.18 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 155 Times in 103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Never knew that.
    this is interesting to hear. i always thought Kirk was the one who had to fight for his job every day.

But say what you will about Lars. Metallica wouldn't be Metallica without him or James.

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: