Save
Page 334 of 336 FirstFirst ... 234284324331332333334335336 LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 5027
    Last Online

10.16.19 @ 10:38 PM
    Liked 4,189 Times in 2,661 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Speaking of last nights Wiltern show, I heard a *lot* of people got fucked who bought tickets off Stubhub resellers and discovered that the tickets were non-transferable when they went to get their barcode scanned for entry, something apparently not mentioned by TM when the tickets were originally sold.
    yeah, a bunch of us were talking about that in the pit. People were PISSED. Stubhub aftermarketers screwed the pooch by not quite knowing how those new mobile entry oscillating bar codes would end up functioning. Plus, the Wiltern staff mistakenly denied pit access to dozens, and gave pit access to dozens who hadn't qualified. It took forever for general public line to get inside because those new mobile entry tickets are difficult to scan, everybody had to turn up the display brightness on their phones, plus the scanners weren't working properly for the new digital TM code graphic.

The show was wall to wall sold out packed, but they oversold it and with new ticket tech that's still in beta phase.

GOOD show though. Was front row rail right in front of Pat's kit. The new stuff is good, but it was an El Camino kind of night, and the first show in 5 years for them kicking off this new tour at a club scene. LOL, we were quite easily the oldest couple in the pit, much less the front rail. But it's good to see the millennials embracing SOME blue-based rock.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 09.20.19 at 10:01 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 979 Times in 517 Posts

Waiting for GnR to start. Took an hour to get in. Easily the drunkest Palladium audi vvvence ever!

Last Online

Donor

Waiting for GnR to start. Took an hour to get in. Easily the drunkest Palladium audi vvvence ever!
    Lol no doubt.

Tried to get tix all day. No last minute releases. Iím sure youíre gonna hv fun.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Ha Ha, when I was typing that on my phone, I was holding my drink in my other hand and a pair of bimbos crashed into me trying to shove their way up front. I got soaked in my Bacardi n' Coke.

Anyway, late this morning recovering form last night's show.

To give a bit of perspective, this was my 9th time seeing them, first being when they opened for The Lords Of The New Church back in early '86 at Fenders Ballroom, last being in 2006 during the Universal Amphitheater run when Izzy guested for a 3rd of the super long set. Since they reunited a few years ago, I've wanted to see them again but have been totally put off with the stadium/arena tour and the very Use Your Illusion era setlist.

Anyway, tonight's show was good up through about 2/3rds of the set. The last 3rd dragged quite a bit mostly because of the pacing of the tunes included such as back to back covers of Wichita Lineman and an instrumental Wish You Were Here. I'm aware this was a mildly condensed version of the arena/stadium set but I have to say, if I paid good money to see this especially at a crappy stadium, I would have been bored much of the show and probably pissed afterwords. The set was mostly the usual AFD tunes, the key Illusion tunes, a few ChiDem songs, ("Better" kills live), a Velvet Revolver song (Slither), and the usual covers such as Duff doing "Attitude." Probably the deepest GnR cut they played was "Coma."

I got to the Palladium and parked just before 8pm when they were just about to start letting people in. The line wrapped almost completely around the block the Palladium and it's parking lot is on and it took almost exactly an hour to get in. I saw one guy selling a few hard tickets for about $300+ each. I didn't hear anything about a ticket drop earlier in the afternoon. Once inside, the place filled up really quick and by about 10pm, people were starting to get restless. There were a *lot* of trashed people stumbling around, puking in the restroom well before the show started. Close to 10:30, band came on and launched into It's So Easy and the crowd was into it and the band and Axl sounded pretty impressive. Slash especially sounded awesome. Fortus was often so low in the mix it sounded at times like a one guitarist band. I noticed the keyboard chick was really helping on backup vox when Axl was hitting higher notes.

What quickly became a weird distraction was *every* instrumental break, guitar solo, etc, Axl would duck off stage into this little black tent on the side of the stage. Often, he'd come out in a new shirt or a hat or whatever. I think he changed clothes more than Stevie Nicks w/Fleetwood Mac. I get sometimes a singer might feel awkward or want the band to have the spotlight but in this case it seemed like Axl wanted minimal involvement on stage if he wasn't needed to actually sing. I dunno, maybe he has a weak bladder or needs to hit the oxygen tank. Vocally, I thought he was pretty decent, certainly not the range of the good ol' days but I've heard worse. I have to say, I haven't been paying much attention to his health or appearance since the very beginning of the tour a few years back so I was a bit shocked that he's become such a chunky guy. Anyway, at least he didn't utterly suck singing like a David Lee Roth or (cue douche chills) Vince Neil.

The major thing that made this a good show was the relatively intimate setting (the Palladium) and the band itself. I've never been disappointed musically by whatever lineup Axl has surrounded himself with, hell I thought the 12/19/06 show with Bumblefoot and Co was actually better performed than the '92 UYI tour LA Coliseum show I saw. I think the late start, the instrumental breaks, the slow and unfamiliar tunes especially after Sweet Child Of Mine took a bit of wind out of the show. People were streaming out after SCOM and the back of the floor thinned out considerably for the last half hour of the show.

Still a good show but it certainly scratched the itch to see them one more time.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

10:30 start? Blaggh. People standing around for 2.5 hours beforehand will always take some piss out of it.

They did both UYI covers Live and Let Die and Knockin on Heavenís Door?

Instrumental Floyd cover. Huh.

Nightrain closer?

Yeah, Axlís a doughnut guy these days.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    10:30 start? Blaggh. People standing around for 2.5 hours beforehand will always take some piss out of it.

They did both UYI covers Live and Let Die and Knockin on Heaven’s Door?

Instrumental Floyd cover. Huh.

Nightrain closer?

Yeah, Axl’s a doughnut guy these days.
    Yeah, Both LALD and KOHD, plus the Velvet Revolver tune "Slither," the snoozer "Wichita Lineman," the instrumental "Wish You Were Here" and Duff's cover of "You Cant Put Your Arms Around A Memory/Attitude." At least the set wasn't further padded with covers of Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" and The Who's "The Seeker" that they've been playing much of the current tour. No "Used To Love Her" in the set although it was soundchecked.

What's remarkable is apparently they soundcheck and had listed on the printed setlist as alternate songs a *lot* of deep cuts including:

Hard School (unreleased old track)
    Yesterdays
    Sorry
    Dead Horse
    Locomotive
    Prostitute
    There Was A Time
    Catcher In The Rye
    So Fine
    Madagascar
    ...and the Elton John cover of "Benny & The Jets"

I'd expect some or all of these songs to show up on this leg of the tour.

Last Online

Donor

Oh, for fuckís sake, if theyíd played Locomotive live at the Palladium Iíd have cried for not gaining access.

Was hoping to hear that at either of my shows at Dodger or the Forum.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 04:59 AM
    Liked 26,421 Times in 13,328 Posts

Premium Member

Old man chiming in here. 10:30 start? Way too late.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Old man chiming in here. 10:30 start? Way too late.
    Yeah, I'm fuckin' 60 but the late start was no big deal. What caught up with me by the end of the show was the nearly 6 hours standing and the long walk back to where my car was parked (Hollywood Palladium area parking has become really FUBAR since they've built up the area with high rises). Tack on a 1 hour drive home at 2am with all the Saturday night drunks... ooofah.

Worst one though was a Guns n' Roses show at the start of the Illusions tout back in '91 from the LA Forum just before the albums were released. They didn't even come on until well after midnight and they played a 3 1/2 hour show, supposedly one of the longest of their career and I didn't even get out of the Forum lot until sunrise that morning.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Yeah, I'm fuckin' 60 but the late start was no big deal. What caught up with me by the end of the show was the nearly 6 hours standing and the long walk back to where my car was parked (Hollywood Palladium area parking has become really FUBAR since they've built up the area with high rises). Tack on a 1 hour drive home at 2am with all the Saturday night drunks... ooofah.

Worst one though was a Guns n' Roses show at the start of the Illusions tout back in '91 from the LA Forum just before the albums were released. They didn't even come on until well after midnight and they played a 3 1/2 hour show, supposedly one of the longest of their career and I didn't even get out of the Forum lot until sunrise that morning.
    UGH. Fuck that!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:32 AM
    Liked 16,682 Times in 7,327 Posts

Default The Official Guns N' Roses Thread

Yep I was there for that show it was fucking ridiculous. Only reason I wasnít that pissed was it was a first date so I made use of the downtime.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yep I was there for that show it was fucking ridiculous. Only reason I wasnít that pissed was it was a first date so I made use of the downtime.
    Yeah, this was the final night at The Forum on a Saturday during a 4 show stand. I remember Skid Row played their set pretty much on time and then it was like a nearly 3 hour wait for GnR to come on. By midnight, the crowd kept chanting "Bullshit! Bullshit!" Even though I had mediocre loge seats in the back 3rd of the arena, I'm glad I had seats to sit in by the end of the night.

On paper, it looks like an awesome set with some great deep cuts and rarities and Izzy was still in the band and they played a couple of the songs he sang lead on but like any post-1989 GnR show, there was long breaks between every few songs which stretched out a long show to ridiculous lengths. Plus, the show had a really weird pace to it where there was a number of slower songs (many previously unheard as the UYI albums hadn't been released yet) grouped together at several spots throughout the set that ultimately made the show more of an endurance test then a enjoyable balls to the walls rock concert by the last hour. By halfway through, people were already leaving in droves and by the end of the show, I think the arena was less than half full.

August 3, 1991 - LA Forum - Loge 106, Row W, seats 3 and 4 (still have the stub)
    Mr. Brownstone
    Right Next Door to Hell
    Bad Obsession
    Live and Let Die
    It's So Easy
    Yesterdays
    Dust N' Bones
    Double Talkin' Jive
    Civil War
    Patience
    You Could Be Mine
    November Rain
    My Michelle
    14 Years
    Nightrain
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Matt Sorum Drum Solo
    Slash Guitar Solo
    Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)
    Pretty Tied Up
    Rocket Queen
    Don't Cry (with Shannon Hoon)
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Only Women Bleed Intro)

Encore:
    You Ain't the First (with Shannon Hoon)
    Used to Love Her
    Move to the City
    Sweet Child O' Mine (Bad Time Intro)
    You're Crazy (with Sebastian Bach)
    Locomotive
    Out Ta Get Me
    Dead Horse

Encore 2:
    Estranged
    Paradise City

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Donor

10 song encore lol. That's pretty much just another set.

Man, that's an endurance trial, not a concert. All nighter at the Forum? Esp in the old days pre-renovation? Ick.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

10.06.19 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 1,036 Times in 605 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yep I was there for that show it was fucking ridiculous. Only reason I wasn’t that pissed was it was a first date so I made use of the downtime.
    First date and you took her to a Guns show? You’re a born romantic aren’t you?
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:32 AM
    Liked 16,682 Times in 7,327 Posts

Default The Official Guns N' Roses Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    First date and you took her to a Guns show? Youíre a born romantic arenít you?
    She was a big fan.

I was also 20 and couldnít care less about romance.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1