Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default The 2004-2005 NHL strike thread

NHL commisioner Gary Bettman will not be meeting with the rest of the league's board of governors next week, cancelling the planned January 14 meetings in New York due to a lack of developments in collective bargaining.

"It's obvious that the reason it's been cancelled is that there's just nothing for us to talk about," Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello, who sits on the board of governors, said Thursday from New Jersey.

"There's just no reason to have a meeting."

Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, sent out a memo Thursday to all 30 clubs announcing the cancellation of the meeting, citing a lack of progess in collective bargaining.

"After canvassing each of the 30 clubs, and in light of the lack of developments or a new offer from the union, the clubs were unanimously of the view that there is no need for a meeting at this point in time," Daly said from New York.

It was hoped when the board of governors meeting was first called that more talks would be held between the NHL Players' Association and the league, but that hasn't happened. The two sides haven't talked since Dec. 14.

If the original announcement of the Jan. 14 board of governors meeting was in fact some form of pressure tactic from the league, it didn't work. The NHLPA did not pick up the phone or begin work on a new offer.

But the union would not bite after the league's announcement Thursday.

"The cancelling of the board of governors meeting is a league matter and not something the NHLPA will comment on," NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement.

The board of governors last met Sept. 14 in New York when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced the lockout. There had been some thought that Bettman could emerge from next Friday's meeting with a final deadline for cancelling the season or even an announcement that the season was called off.

Talks broke off between the NHL and NHLPA on Dec. 14 after the league rejected the union's offer and the NHLPA rejected the NHL's counter-proposal.

Both sides confirmed Thursday there are no plans to meet again at this point.

Meanwhile, the NHL season continues to evaporate. Through Thursday, 571 of the season's 1,230 scheduled games had gone by the wayside.

It seems clear that time is slipping away to save a season.

During the last lockout 10 years ago, both sides agreed to a new deal on Jan. 11 and played a 48-game regular season followed by the playoffs, the last game coming on June 24 - the latest the NHL has ever gone on the calendar.

Should the stalemate hit February, it will be too late to salvage a season of 40 or more games.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many!
    Last Online

03.12.07 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

They are just burrying themselves! Last year Ping Pong and professional bowling got higher ratings than the NHL. This is likely to kill the sport! What a DAMN shame! Hockey is awesome!!
    "Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case."

Brett Favre 09/10/06

http://www.myspace.com/lionzrule

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Thank God for the American Hockey League.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 84 Posts

Premium Member

I'm sure the league doesn't want to hear this, but as a Rangers season ticket holder I find myself not missing hockey as much as I thought I would.

Of course, that may have more to do with the teams they have been putting on the ice for the past 7 years.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Favorite VH Album

First 6 albums and bov1
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

03.16.12 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Thank God for the American Hockey League.
    Thank god for some other types of hockey. I have the Gwinnett Gladiators just down the street. They are in the ECHL. All the tickets are like under 20 bucks. So when i ever get a chance i go see them. Been reading the newspaper and they have beem selling out games. So went aint missing the NHL to much down here.
    Georgia Tech Football - Bring on Utah!!!! Go Jackets!!!!
    Falcons - I hear playoffs
    Atlanta Braves - Need to make some real moves
    Atl Hawks - 3-0 alright were undefeated and when did they pick up this guy called Marvin Williams?????
    PS3 Network - VanHalen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.03.12 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Did you uys see that Busines Week listed Bettman in the top 10 Worst Managers of the year! I think he came in at number 5. Good to see that midget jackass is getting his due credit!
    Official driver of the "Fire Brad Childress" Bandwagon!

"Straightjacket Memories, Sedative Highs..."

"I love ya baby, but all I can think about is..."

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK
    Thank god for some other types of hockey. I have the Gwinnett Gladiators just down the street. They are in the ECHL. All the tickets are like under 20 bucks. So when i ever get a chance i go see them. Been reading the newspaper and they have beem selling out games. So went aint missing the NHL to much down here.
    Hey, Tommy, where in Lawrenceville? I grew up there, graduated from Berkmar High
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by spin5150
    Did you uys see that Busines Week listed Bettman in the top 10 Worst Managers of the year! I think he came in at number 5. Good to see that midget jackass is getting his due credit!
    I guess I would have thought he could do better than that and get #1. Nobody else sticks out as much as he does. I've heard rumors that when this thing ends (assuming it will), either Bettman or Goodenow will lose their job when all is said and done.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.03.12 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vh resurrection
    I guess I would have thought he could do better than that and get #1. Nobody else sticks out as much as he does. I've heard rumors that when this thing ends (assuming it will), either Bettman or Goodenow will lose their job when all is said and done.
    I actually heard a rumor on the local sports radio station here yesterday afternoon, that there is a rumor the owners might ask John Davidson (Ex goalie, color man on Rangers broadcasts) to try the comissioners job if this thing gets any uglier.
    Personally, I think he is a good candidate. He Knows the game, and is well respected and liked in most (if not all) hockey circles on this continent. One can only hope, I guess....
    Official driver of the "Fire Brad Childress" Bandwagon!

"Straightjacket Memories, Sedative Highs..."

"I love ya baby, but all I can think about is..."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Upside my Boston Bruins are undefeated so far

Why not do like Reagan did when he fired all the Air Traffic Controllers and just dump all the players buy new shirts and fill them with bodies that are interested in playing.

Gawd the get PAID to play a game!

Me I have to PAY to play and frickin ice time in Phoenix is expensive and you end up playing a midnight

Luckily I've got about a dozen games from '89, '90 and '91 on tape that I've ttranferred to DvD, Good ol' Hockey Night in Canada brought to you by Molson, Dick Irvine and Don Cherry
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Maybe Vince McMahon will start-up the XHL, Xtreme Hockey League...
    He did so well with football...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

I was just happy watching the Juniors play this year. Canada beat everyone's ass (What else is new?) and it was just good enertaining hockey.

I used to be upset that there wasn't any hockey being played in the NHL about a month ago, now I really don't even care. I miss going up to Montreal to see hockey games but I've just settled with Junior hockey and it's just as (if not more) enertaining than NHL hockey.

I'm pissed off at both sides, but I'll still probably be the first in line to get tickets for the first game back... in 2 years.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

2004-2005 wasn't too bad for hockey.

I was happy seeing Canada win the World Cup and the Juniours a few days ago. Both teams were undefeated!!!!

I am just watching older NHL games now on ESPN Classic for my NHL fix.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    2004-2005 wasn't too bad for hockey.

I was happy seeing Canada win the World Cup and the Juniours a few days ago. Both teams were undefeated!!!!

I am just watching older NHL games now on ESPN Classic for my NHL fix.
    I have ESPN Classic but I hardly ever see them playing any NHL games. Is the version you see in Canada different from the US version? I would assume they'd be the same... My digital cable has the TV Guide menu or something so the search function isn't that great when I try to look up NHL or Classic NHL. Is there a certain day or time they broadcast old hockey games?
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vh resurrection
    I have ESPN Classic but I hardly ever see them playing any NHL games. Is the version you see in Canada different from the US version? I would assume they'd be the same... My digital cable has the TV Guide menu or something so the search function isn't that great when I try to look up NHL or Classic NHL. Is there a certain day or time they broadcast old hockey games?

Yeah it is Espn Classic Canada. So they play more hockey games than the US version I think.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!