Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Thinking about Franky-striping a Pinewood Derby Car - How do I do it?

My son is in the cub scout pinewood derby, and we're building his car, making it a little pick-up. He's decided to use my joking idea to paint it red and franky stripe it.

Question - how the fuck do I do it? Should I use tape? If so, then what tape? It's a small car - about 7 inches long, so it'll be tough to get tape around the corners and keep it from peeling off. I could get some electrical tape for the black and cut it width wise, but not sure about the white, or if there is a better tape to use overall. Also, should I put some type of finish - shellack (spell?) over the whole thing to keep the tape in place and smooth the finish (aerodynamics, you know)?

OR

Do I try to paint it all - use a black base, then use tape to tape off the stripes and add white then red paint?

Any ideas? Is there a better forum to post this in?

Ultimately not sure he'll follow through, or that my wife will let us do it, but we'll see.

Last Online

12.26.11 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    My son is in the cub scout pinewood derby, and we're building his car, making it a little pick-up. He's decided to use my joking idea to paint it red and franky stripe it.

Question - how the fuck do I do it? Should I use tape? If so, then what tape? It's a small car - about 7 inches long, so it'll be tough to get tape around the corners and keep it from peeling off. I could get some electrical tape for the black and cut it width wise, but not sure about the white, or if there is a better tape to use overall. Also, should I put some type of finish - shellack (spell?) over the whole thing to keep the tape in place and smooth the finish (aerodynamics, you know)?

OR

Do I try to paint it all - use a black base, then use tape to tape off the stripes and add white then red paint?

Any ideas? Is there a better forum to post this in?

Ultimately not sure he'll follow through, or that my wife will let us do it, but we'll see.
    Won't be too tough at all.

1. first to ensure the best adhesion of the paint, wipe the bare wood down with some mineral spirits, and then alcohol, and let dry. Ensure your hands are as free from oil, grease, and dirt as possible.

2. apply a primer sealer. suggest white, or light grey. After dry sand smooth with about 320 to 600.

3. Paint solid white first. If you used a light color primer, you won't need a lot to cover. Always use as light a coat possible. Light multiple coats with about 10-30 minutes flash time in between, are always better than one heavy coat. Lightly sand, I suggest using fine steel wool on such a small project. Just be sure to blow off all those little steel wool specks and wiping down with alcohol before continuing on.

4. Now tape off where you want the white stripes to be. Use a good 3m automotive fine line tape, which you can find at most automotive painting supply stores, or on the web. This a very plyable and bendable tape that shouldn't give you any probs going around sharp edges, and no bleeding on a smooth surface. Also comes in a wide variety of widths.

5. Paint the red. Again light coats. It will not take much to get good coverage over white. When dry to the touch, but not cured, remove tape. After thoroughly dry, rub any heavy tape edges down with fine steel wool.

6. Now using a width of tape that is the same width of the black stripes you want, apply where you want the black stripes. Taking more tape, maybe a wider width, apply next to the tape that marks the position of your black stripes, and then remove that tape from the center, leaving a place to paint the black. Mask off remainding areas you don't want any black, and then paint black. Once again knock down any heavy edges left with fine steel wool.

7. Finish with clear.

Notice you start with lightest color to the darkest, This allows for the best coverage with less paint. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DaleT; 01.07.05 at 08:43 AM.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thats so cool...my kid just joined the Cub Scouts, so now I know what we'll be doing in the Pinewood Derby...after I load the front end with ball-bearings for a little extra pull down that hill...LOL
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

LOL - do a google search, you'll get all kinds of speed advice. There's a whole industry around it, they sell tools, speed kits, etc., all for a fucking boy scout event.

And the weight should be in the rear, just in front of the axels according to the stuff I read.

It's all good - my son won his age group last year, but got toasted in the regionals because we forgot to re-lubricate his wheels. What a shitty dad I am.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    LOL - do a google search, you'll get all kinds of speed advice. There's a whole industry around it, they sell tools, speed kits, etc., all for a fucking boy scout event.
    You know, that's kind of scary. Im sure these are the same parents who stand behind home plate screaming at the umpire during tee-ball games, or kill off all the other contestants so their daughter can be a cheerleader.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Yes, very scary.

I thought about it, it's tempting, but it's his project, and I don't want to take it over. I printed out the free suggestions, and I'll do someof the filing of the nails that serve as axles, and placement of the weights, but I'll be damned if I buy a kit.

Even the striping, I'll probably use spray paint and let him go nuts with it.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default take my advice...

Quote Originally Posted by DaleT
    Won't be too tough at all.

1. first to ensure the best adhesion of the paint, wipe the bare wood down with some mineral spirits, and then alcohol, and let dry. Ensure your hands are as free from oil, grease, and dirt as possible.

2. apply a primer sealer. suggest white, or light grey. After dry sand smooth with about 320 to 600.

3. Paint solid white first. If you used a light color primer, you won't need a lot to cover. Always use as light a coat possible. Light multiple coats with about 10-30 minutes flash time in between, are always better than one heavy coat. Lightly sand, I suggest using fine steel wool on such a small project. Just be sure to blow off all those little steel wool specks and wiping down with alcohol before continuing on.

4. Now tape off where you want the white stripes to be. Use a good 3m automotive fine line tape, which you can find at most automotive painting supply stores, or on the web. This a very plyable and bendable tape that shouldn't give you any probs going around sharp edges, and no bleeding on a smooth surface. Also comes in a wide variety of widths.

5. Paint the red. Again light coats. It will not take much to get good coverage over white. When dry to the touch, but not cured, remove tape. After thoroughly dry, rub any heavy tape edges down with fine steel wool.

6. Now using a width of tape that is the same width of the black stripes you want, apply where you want the black stripes. Taking more tape, maybe a wider width, apply next to the tape that marks the position of your black stripes, and then remove that tape from the center, leaving a place to paint the black. Mask off remainding areas you don't want any black, and then paint black. Once again knock down any heavy edges left with fine steel wool.

7. Finish with clear.

Notice you start with lightest color to the darkest, This allows for the best coverage with less paint. Hope this helps.
    i'd reconsider working so hard on the paint.

unfortunately... a great looking paint job will be ruined when you apply the powdered graphite to the wheels of the car. that shit gets everywhere and adheres to any surface!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

DaleT laid out the basics... I'd let your kid do the taping and painting and don't worry too much about the sanding and making it look great... IMO I always like the cars that look like the kid made em rather than something that looks like it came out of a professional custom paint shop. I think they should have kids classes for these things and add an adult class where the dads can go nuts finishing and building these things then it levels out the competition based on the kids rather than some dad that engineers the car down to the millionth on every aspect.

If you get stuck on the painting just head over to the guitar forum plenty of suggestions for striping over there...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com