Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Help me spend a little $

No, I didn't win the lottery and post to tell you guys I was giving you a late Christmas. Maybe next year.

Here's the deal - anybody that has worked in a guitar shop knows how Fender Bonus Bucks work. For everyone else, we basically earned a percentage off of our Fender sales for a couple of months during the holidays. I ended up earning a little over $500, and I have already allocated most of it to stuff I wanted, like some Texas Special pups for my main Strat.

What I was wondering is what opinions are of the LSR roller nuts and Fender's locking tuners from people that have them. I have played several American Deluxe models at work that have them and liked them pretty well.

Opinions?

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I don't know shit about Fender's man, I just wanted to say hi Wolf. Nice to see ya around brotha.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 01.06.05 at 07:39 PM.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I don't know shit about Fender's man, I just wanted to say hi Wolf. Nice to see ya around brotha.
    Hi, honey.

You da mang, sucka.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wolf, I read about that roller nut in one of Dan Erlewine's books...looks good, but I don't own one.
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Wolf. Good to see ya here.
    I find wilkinson rollers to be ok as long as you keep the the string gauge you start with. They don't do well if you go higher in gauge and do a fair amount of bending cause they tend to jump on the higher strings, and tonally I think they suck. They pull a lot of bottom out of your tone. They were the big thing at one time but a lot of players have replaced them. The wilkinson bridge is a good bridge though.
    I don't know why you'd go for texas specials either.
    Their tone is awful. People seemed to equate the SRV sound with texas specials at one time but they're not even close.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I'd go with the locking tuners myself. I love those things. Not only can you change strings easier and faster, but you can cut the extra string to almost nothing, which helps keep your headstock looking pretty.
    Last edited by mk5; 01.07.05 at 07:30 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman
    No, I didn't win the lottery and post to tell you guys I was giving you a late Christmas. Maybe next year.

Here's the deal - anybody that has worked in a guitar shop knows how Fender Bonus Bucks work. For everyone else, we basically earned a percentage off of our Fender sales for a couple of months during the holidays. I ended up earning a little over $500, and I have already allocated most of it to stuff I wanted, like some Texas Special pups for my main Strat.

What I was wondering is what opinions are of the LSR roller nuts and Fender's locking tuners from people that have them. I have played several American Deluxe models at work that have them and liked them pretty well.

Opinions?
    Locking tuners rule! Definitely grab a set of the Planet Waves ones. If I remember right they drop right in. Sperzels need a small hole drilled for each tuner for a stabilizing post. Both are 10mm and the Planet waves cut the string as you tune up. My friend Dave has the nut with the ball bearings (LSR?), works pretty good. I didnt hear the axe with a standard nut but it doesnt have that heavy chunk to its sound, so Tribb might be on to something there. Sounds real good, just not very heavy.

Grab a set of Classic Stacks off ebay. can get em pretty cheap. I really like them. They use A2's so they're warmer than most strat pups and they're humbucking. If money's no object, grab some Kinmans. Ask tribb about them I think he has them in one of his axes. Graph-Tec saddles rock also. They warm up the sound a bit and reduce string breakage.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys - I appreciate the input. Even tribb's heavy dose of negativity ( ). I am holding off on the roller nut for the time being, and going ahead with the pickups and a set of locking tuners (Fender, since I basically have free money with them for this). I will grab a roller nut very soon by ordering it under employee pricing ( ). I figured I'd get the most expensive pieces out of the way with the free Fender Bucks moolah. Naturally, I ordered a ton of cool swag with the remainder of my money.

tribb, I'm kind of surprised at your opinion of the Texas Specials. Nothing wrong with it - just difference in opinion, which is cool. I've been satisfied with what I have heard from them on guitars in the store and thought there was plenty of tone. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The input is appreciated either way (DICK! ). Seriously, though - it's all good.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolf, no problem. I just tell it the way I see it.
    I'm never negative, just honest.
    Well, maybe sometimes negative.
    As far as the texas specials go, I used them for awhile and they sounded ok at first but after using them at loud volumes and experimenting with a lot of other pickups I found them lacking in a few ways.
    I found them to sound better a low volumes, but once you turn them up uh uh.
    Fralin makes some great pickups along the same lines that will have you ripping out those texas no tones in no time.
    You have emplyee pricing too, you prick..lol

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I prefer the tone of the Tex-Mex pickups as used in the Jimmie Vaughan signiture model over the Texas Specials... although to be honest I have no idea how they differ technically. BUt they had a better all around tonality at both low and high volumes.

One thing I will note is I find an overall better tonality with Strat setups to run the middle pickup wide open reverse phased and wire the bridge pickup through the bottom tone pot. The JV Tex-Mex strat come wired that way out of the factory while most of the std US & Mexico strats come wired w/ bridge wide open and tone control on the middle...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I modded the bottom pot to a no load tone pot then wired it up to work as a blender on my friends strat. Sounds cool. Now he can get the bridge and neck at the same time or all three at once. Now his axe is: Master Volume-Master Tone-Blender. I got the schematic from Fralin I think.