Page 1 of 84 12341151 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default The Official U2 Thread

if I may be so bold to start.... <LOL>

U2 Postpone Announcing Dates For World Tour
    Spokesperson would not comment on reports that postponement is due to a family illness.

U2 have postponed the announcement of dates for their world tour in support of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The band had planned to announce the U.S. and international dates on Monday, but that has been put off indefinitely, according to manager Paul McGuinness.

"We've postponed the announcement of the tour because the routing is still being worked on," McGuinness said in a statement. "As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know." A band spokesperson would not comment on media reports that the postponement was due to a family illness.

In December, McGuinness said that the tour was slated to kick off on March 1 in Florida and hit 35 U.S. arenas before heading overseas, and it's possible that the tour could still follow that plan.

The band spokesperson would also not comment on whether the change in tour plans would affect U2's attendance of the Grammy Awards ceremony on February 13 they are nominated for three awards for their single "Vertigo" or their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 14.

The next U.S. single from the band will be "All Because of You." The video for that song debuted Tuesday night during the Orange Bowl.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

It's weird - I always figured "All Because Of You" to be the 2nd single, but a story on U2.com on 12/17 had "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" pegged as the second:

The single release of 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' will feature a Bono/Pavarotti performance on the B-side.

The second single from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' - outside North America - 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' will be available on 2 CD formats and a DVD single.

B-sides include a stunning Jacknife Lee remix of 'Ave Maria' sung by Bono with Luciano Pavarotti - the original of which was performed at the 'Pavarotti & Friends' concert in Italy in 2003 - the dancefloor-filling 'Vertigo' Redanka remix', and the Jacknife Lee remix of UK and Japan only album track 'Fast Cars'.

The DVD carries a video of an exclusive live performance of 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' from the band's Dublin studio, and a Trent Reznor reworking of 'Vertigo'.

Formats are as follows:

CD1

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - radio edit
    2. Vertigo - Redanka Power Mix

CD2

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - radio edit
    2. Ave Maria - Jacknife Lee Mix
    3. Fast Cars - Jacknife Lee Mix

DVD single

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - live at Hanover Quay, 16 Nov 2004
    2. Vertigo - video
    3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - audio
    4. Vertigo - Trent Reznor Remix - audio

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

And upon further review I found the answer in a story I'd missed from 12/14:

'All Because of You' is to be U2's second single in North America, while 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' is set for release in the rest of the world.

Both tracks are taken from the multi-million selling album 'How To
    Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'.

It's not the first time that the band has released different tracks as a second single from an album.

In February 2001, 'Walk On' was released as single number two in the USA and Canada, while 'Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of' was the second single from ATYCLB in the rest of the world. ('Walk On' was subsequently released as the band's fourth single in the rest of the world.)

U2 are currently working on videos to accompany both new singles. The video for 'All Because Of You' was shot during the band's recent visit to New York, while Phil Joanou filmed the band in performance at Dublin's Gaiety Theatre last night for 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'.
    Last edited by billy007; 01.06.05 at 07:19 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

YEAH! I can't wait! U2, the Cre...gonna be a great year for live music.

"All Because Of You"...didn't think that would be the second single. I figured "City of Blinding Lights" or "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own".

This album is just kickin' my medulla oblongata like a hammer. Album of the Year for 2004, in my book.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah the US single is "All Because of You" while outside the US its SYCMIOYO.

I think its a poor choice. ABOY is one of the 2 songs I skip over! It really should have been "Love and Peace or Else" or "City of Blinding Lights".

Although I did hear COBL on KLOS the other day amidst a large block of U2. Maybe if enough stations play it a strong enough response will lead to it being a single later on.

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sometimes You Can't make It Own Your is a great choice IMO.
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys, I was thinking of getting another U2 album or two...I have Joshua Tree, and I really dig that, so I was thinking maybe Achtung Baby and Unforgettable Fire...what do you think?
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Five best U2 songs;

1. Running to Stand Still
    2. Zoo Station
    3. Hawkmoon 269
    4. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    5. Trip Through Your Wires

Throw 'Bad' in there as a bonus track!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    Hey guys, I was thinking of getting another U2 album or two...I have Joshua Tree, and I really dig that, so I was thinking maybe Achtung Baby and Unforgettable Fire...what do you think?
    Achtung Baby is a masterpiece. Amazing top to bottom!

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

get WAR!

Okay but out of the two.....

Damn this is hard,I'd say Achtung Baby.
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

For a studio album, you can't go wrong with Achtung Baby, but another way to go is to get the two Best Of collections so you can sample the whole spectrum - just about every other album sounds different, so pick the songs off the Best Ofs that you like and build from there!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If a band is good enough, I'd prefer to stay away from best ofs and just build up a collection of the best studio albums. I'm definitely going to get Achtung Baby, but I'm not sure about the second one....It's probably between War and Unforgettable Fire; I really love Pride (In the Name etc.) so that is swaying me towards the latter.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If a band is good enough, I'd prefer to stay away from best ofs and just build up a collection of the best studio albums. I'm definitely going to get Achtung Baby, but I'm not sure about the second one....It's probably between War and Unforgettable Fire; I really love Pride (In the Name etc.) so that is swaying me towards the latter.
    Yeah but one thing about U2 is that there music has changed SO MUCH over the years. I mean for the love of god they started out kinda raw-punkish, then went into the grand epic stuff, then completely changed and did stuff with dance beats and techno elements, and then came back around to what they are now.

I've been listening to The Unforgetable Fire in the car lately and I think I like it better than I originally did! I attempted to do the same thing with The Joshua Tree but just could NOT get into the non-single songs.

The best thing about U2 is that no matter what styles they have evolved into over the years, they've ALWAYS had quality songs.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay well let's say I really like Joshua Tree. And Achtung Baby, from what I've heard. Which album is closer in style to those?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Style similarities:

Boy & October
    War kind of bridged the gap between October and Unforgettable Fire, although it leans more towards Unforgettable Fire
    Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum are cut from the same cloth
    Achtung Baby is a whole new ballgame
    Zooropa bridges the gap between Achtung Baby and POP, and it's pretty much right in the middle
    All That You Can't Leave Behind is another new beginning and is complimented nicely by How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which at times leans back towards Boy

In my opinion anyway!
    Last edited by billy007; 01.07.05 at 03:10 PM.