Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Default NCAA Football-last time

Geez Brett, I'm disappointed. I looked and didn't see any NCAA football topic. You are letting me down man (not sure how to insert a joking smiley face here). I thought for sure you'd be all USC rules, we're #1, etc etc. Well, let me get on w/my rant-hats off to USC, they certainly played well and put it on OU. I was hoping to see a football thread so I could read whoever it was that was claiming OU's loss to LSU was b/c of LSU's "homefield" advantage (even though the tickets were evenly divied among the 2 schools except for 5,000 that went to state officials and sponsors) and the fact that LSU was triple teaming OU's best WR (I guess the underneath route for the TE or RB wasn't there b/c of the impressive homefield advanatage). Just wondering what this guy's excuse was/is this time-humidity, too much sand in OU's shoes, etc.

LSU had a decent season. Their QB was erratic, at best. I was satisfied w/the season, but the bowl game killed me. Coming back like that and then to lose it at the end b/c of a blown coverage. Add on to that the best coach in the nation (in my opinion) was leaving only made it worse. Thankfully he's going to my favorite pro team, so its somewhat bittersweet.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Commissioners to meet to fix BCS

With AP poll out, new formula needed to rank teams, conferences

08:32 PM CST on Thursday, January 6, 2005

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News

Despite growing support for a selection committee, the Bowl Championship Series will still need to find a fix for its rankings formula when commissioners of the 11 Division I-A conferences meet today in Grapevine.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is in favor of a selection committee to help rank teams in the BCS. The meeting coincides with the NCAA Convention at the Gaylord Texan resort. It will be the first meeting of the commissioners plus Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White since the Associated Press announced it was pulling its poll from the BCS formula.

"It will be an opportunity to look at options and discuss which options may be worth pursuing," BCS spokesman Bob Burda said.

One option that has seen some support is forming a selection committee, similar to one used to select the field for the NCAA men's basketball tournament, to choose teams.

The committee could match the No. 1 and No. 2 teams for the title game, or it could broaden its scope to selecting the pool for all BCS bowls.

However, the BCS will still need some sort of rankings to determine how conferences without automatic bids can qualify for BCS bowls. Another rankings system will be needed to determine which conferences can retain automatic bids.

Currently, teams from conferences without automatic bids can earn a berth by finishing in the top six of the final BCS rankings. That's exactly what Utah, from the Mountain West Conference, did to earn a Tostitos Fiesta Bowl berth this season.

Starting with the 2006 season, when the BCS expands to five bowls, nonautomatic qualifying conferences will need a ranking of 12 or higher.

This season was also the first of a four-year window to evaluate which conferences retain automatic bids. Some sort of performance evaluation will still be needed to rank the conferences.

"There's been a lot of talk about the committee," Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson said. "Even if there were to be a committee to select 1 and 2, there's still going to have to be a ranking system to take into account that qualifying number, as well as how the conferences are going to be ranked."

BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg, the Big 12 commissioner, said earlier this week that the BCS formula can't be sustained with just two components: the coaches' poll and the average of six computer rankings.

"We still are going to have a need in whatever system we have, even with a committee, to have some sort of standings," Weiberg said.

The BCS could replace the AP poll with another media poll, such as the Football Writers Association of America's Grantland Rice Super 16 poll. The FWAA poll has 16 voters and would probably need to be expanded.

Today's meeting will be followed by another one in Phoenix in April. Weiberg said the BCS should have a revised rankings formula by the summer before teams begin practicing.

"We're just going to begin to get a sense of how people are thinking about it," Weiberg said. "I really haven't had a chance to sit down in a room and find out where the consensus may be, if there is one."

The Associated Press removed itself from the BCS formula because members felt they were creating the news. A selection committee made up of athletic directors and perhaps former coaches wouldn't have those ethical conflicts.

"I'd like to see may be a panel like they do in basketball to possibly rank the teams or help set it up," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "I said a year ago the coaches poll is not good, because we all have bias. ... There's bias in the AP poll, too. It's human nature, it's impossible to avoid it."

For God sakes just get rid of the damn thing already...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Nick Saban's a very good coach, but I don't quite know how you can argue with what Pete Carroll has done at USC in 4 years, in rebuilding the program to a level they haven't been at since the 70's. And even then they weren't this good.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Given what kind of a hand Kirk Ferentz was dealt all year, with losing all his upper-classmen running backs, key linemen, both offensive and defensive and still finishes in the Top 10. I'd say that's a good coach of the year candidate right there.

You'll never get anyone in here to agree on anyone being coach of the year though. Carroll and Stoops both have awesome teams to begin with, whatever they get from there on out is a bonus for the fans.

And just cuz it feels so good.

The Catch

The Shake

The Score also check out the female reporter, she's in the exact pose that a lot of fan on both sides of the ball were "Did I just see what I think I just saw?" And she's a hottie too.

Coach of The Year in my opinion

Iowa Hawkeyes are #8 in the postseason AP and ESPN Coaches Poll. Iowa, USC, OU and Georgia are the only teams, in the nation, to have appeared in the Top 10 in each of the last three seasons. AND ESPN Classic is replaying the game today. It's part of that whole "instant classic" thingy, I think.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do live in reality, so I don't expect great things any time soon, but Hoeppner better make some big strides at Indiana, or I'm not gonna be happy. Same for Weis at Notre Dame. Time to your asses in gear.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Nick Saban's a very good coach, but I don't quite know how you can argue with what Pete Carroll has done at USC in 4 years, in rebuilding the program to a level they haven't been at since the 70's. And even then they weren't this good.
    Well, Saban took over a program that had gone 3-8 the year before, if I remember right. He also took over a program that had at least 3 winning seasons in 10 years prior to his arrival-I think one of those was a 6-5 season. He also lost several "key" players from that 3-8 team and he pulled out an 8-4 record. Then of course he went on to another good season (I think 9-2), another 8-4 season after losing everyone to injury, followed up by the 13-1, then 9-3. I am sure I'm missing a season or I am not quite right on the numbers. Carroll is a good coach-I just never liked him dating back to his Patriot days (Dolphin fan here after all). Anyone know anything about this Les Miles guy??
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!