Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    08.01.00
    Location
    Montreal,Canada
    Posts
    271
    Favorite VH Album

    VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Classic Van Halen

    Does anybody here prefer the first six albums instead of the Sammy years?

    If so which one is your favorite and why?

  2. #2
    Romeo Delight PushComesToShove's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.11.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    PA , USA
    Posts
    74
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Push Comes to Shove
    Last Online

    02.02.09 @ 10:07 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I think Fair Warning is Van Halen at it's peak! Kinda like Led-Zeppelin Zoso kinda thang. Eddie's sound was perfect! Can't touch it .. Push comes to shove guitar solo gives me goose pimples on my arms every time I hear it! I do prefer the first 6 albums, but I do dig all of them.

    Van Halen R.I.P
    "You've only got 12 notes and however you mix them up is your thing." - Eddie Van Halen

  3. #3
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I prefer the early years but ya can't go runnin' around here shoutin' that shit.

    The first album is about as good as it gets. For ANY band. The energy and the songs were perfect. "Fair Warning", IMHO is Van Halen at its learned best. They still had the songs and the energy and were able to capitalize off their experience in the studio. Both are killer albums for the same reasons, but different.
    Know What ah mean?

  4. #4
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I don't think you get much better than those first six ya know, but I love the Sam albums as well. But nothing will ever beat those first six in my mind. I just look at them as two different bands, both great, and just go from there.

    My favorite is Van Halen 2, mostly because it just rocks from beginning to end, with only one instrumental, one pop song, one cover, and a ballad. None of the songs are 3-4mins and that's how it should be. You've got Ed breakin out the tapped harmonics for this one, Dave's lyrics got even better, Al's drumming was on point, and those backin vocals by Mike are just killer. Not to mention that thumping bass which was a requirement for the first six albums. Just a killer album man, not much to get into. Just pure rock and roll. One of those albums were you grab a six pack with your homie and just groove.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk MikeL's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    11,536
    Last Online

    03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    I'm willing to bet things would come down to about a 60-40 split in favor of the Dave-era, if everybody had to make a choice between the two. Give'em a choice, and most folks probably will pick both. I like the older stuff better, but I like a lot of the Sam stuff as well.

    It seems silly to me to try to classify people like this. There's no reason not to enjoy both, though I don't doubt that there are people at both ends of the spectrum that dislike the other end simply because their guy isn't on it. It's all history now, and even if it wasn't preferences wouldn't change a thing.

    What surprises and dismays me is that those people on the fringe drive me away from enjoying what they like. I don't think many of the hardcore Dave fans have a clue as to what Diamond Dave is really about, or at least they don't show it in what they say. It amazes me how far many of them are from having a hold on Dave's attitude. That has always shocked me. The Sammy fans are no better. They cheered on these mediocre new songs as though they were the second coming of 5150, which they plainly were not. Not even close. How can a person be so high on those poor efforts while claiming to be objective in their view of the band?

    Ah well. I'm just glad that my views are the correct views.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk TheresOnlyOneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.13.04
    Location
    Avengers Tower
    Posts
    10,149
    Favorite VH Album

    Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

    Different Devil
    Last Online

    11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I celebrate their entire catalog!
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

    Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

    A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

    Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

  7. #7
    Good Enough CanCanSingSing's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.13.03
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,336
    Last Online

    11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    For me VH1 is an absolute classic, but then 5150 is great as well.
    Nothing is better than those 2.
    I really couldn't pick between the two era's, its not fair, but IMHO Sammy has probably been more consistent across the board.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk TheresOnlyOneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.13.04
    Location
    Avengers Tower
    Posts
    10,149
    Favorite VH Album

    Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

    Different Devil
    Last Online

    11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave CanSing
    For me VH1 is an absolute classic, but then 5150 is great as well.
    Nothing is better than those 2.
    I really couldn't pick between the two era's, its not fair, but IMHO Sammy has probably been more consistent across the board.
    Well put.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

    Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

    A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

    Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

  9. #9
    Eruption timmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.14.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,326
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfiddl
    I prefer the early years but ya can't go runnin' around here shoutin' that shit.

    The first album is about as good as it gets. For ANY band. The energy and the songs were perfect. "Fair Warning", IMHO is Van Halen at its learned best. They still had the songs and the energy and were able to capitalize off their experience in the studio. Both are killer albums for the same reasons, but different.
    Know What ah mean?
    I think you can go runnin' around here shoutin' that shit, as long as you can back it up with a coherent opinion (like you've done here), and don't threaten to kick people in the nuts if they prefer Sam (which you haven't done, thank ya very much!). Myself, since we're here in Opinions, I prefer the Dave era stuff over and above Sam, but still think Sam is a great addition to Van Halen. Depends on the mood that I'm in, but it seems like Roth lyrics make me run a little longer, drive a little faster, live a little faster. I still love Sammy - I like tequila, he's great with the fans, and never threatened to fuck my girlfriend. That, and the great music, speaks volumes.
    I know whut ya mean!
    Nothing to see here.

  10. #10
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmac
    I think you can go runnin' around here shoutin' that shit, as long as you can back it up with a coherent opinion (like you've done here), and don't threaten to kick people in the nuts if they prefer Sam (which you haven't done, thank ya very much!). Myself, since we're here in Opinions, I prefer the Dave era stuff over and above Sam, but still think Sam is a great addition to Van Halen. Depends on the mood that I'm in, but it seems like Roth lyrics make me run a little longer, drive a little faster, live a little faster. I still love Sammy - I like tequila, he's great with the fans, and never threatened to fuck my girlfriend. That, and the great music, speaks volumes.
    I know whut ya mean!
    Why, thank you. I still think that if Dave and Sam ever got into a fight that Dave would kick the shit outta Sam.

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.13.02
    Age
    32
    Location
    En Mi Casa,California
    Posts
    4,470
    Favorite VH Album

    VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

    Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

    04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The first six albums with Roth are classics.Untouched.If any Sam-era album would come close those ,it would be Balance IMO (Happy 10th Anniversary to the album btw).
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

  12. #12
    Eruption Spool's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,199
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Likes
    277
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Stranded on a desert Island ... I'll take the first 6 any day of the week ... But I am not, well kinda ... stranded in OZ with only 1 VH tour ( don't go there ) I can and do listen to all records right up to but NOT including VHIII.

  13. #13
    Romeo Delight Bojangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.03
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    108
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 3
    Favorite VH Song

    Meanstreet. Josephina
    Last Online

    01.29.10 @ 06:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Personally, i think you cant get any better than Fair Warning. Man, Meanstreet just punches you right in the face and it gets better from there. Fair enough, like all albums there are one or two songs that arent as good as they can be... But still, the album full of energy and good ol' fashioned guitar rock. I rate it in my Top 5 favourite Rock albums.
    Frank Sinatra: Why do you drink so much?
    Dean Martin: I drink to forget.
    Frank: To forget what?
    Dean: I don't know... I forgot that long time ago

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles
    Personally, i think you cant get any better than Fair Warning. Man, Meanstreet just punches you right in the face and it gets better from there. Fair enough, like all albums there are one or two songs that arent as good as they can be... But still, the album full of energy and good ol' fashioned guitar rock. I rate it in my Top 5 favourite Rock albums.
    "Mean Street" punches you in the face, but "Unchained" roughs up the rest of you like an LAPD traffic stop!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  15. #15
    Eruption vh resurrection's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.03.04
    Age
    42
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,406
    Favorite VH Album

    VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

    03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I don't think you get much better than those first six ya know, but I love the Sam albums as well. But nothing will ever beat those first six in my mind. I just look at them as two different bands, both great, and just go from there.

    My favorite is Van Halen 2, mostly because it just rocks from beginning to end, with only one instrumental, one pop song, one cover, and a ballad. None of the songs are 3-4mins and that's how it should be. You've got Ed breakin out the tapped harmonics for this one, Dave's lyrics got even better, Al's drumming was on point, and those backin vocals by Mike are just killer. Not to mention that thumping bass which was a requirement for the first six albums. Just a killer album man, not much to get into. Just pure rock and roll. One of those albums were you grab a six pack with your homie and just groove.
    Well said. I think if more people began with the mindset that while they're both VH, they are basically different bands we could avoid a lot of Sam vs. Dave crap. II is my favorite as well. It was the first tape I ever bought (after listening to my sister's record single of Jump/House of Pain). Must've been around '85 or so (when I was 10). Listened to it on one of the old cassette recorders with the flip up loader and the single speaker in the top! I still have that tape to this day and all of the words have been rubbed off from use. The tape's so thin that in certain songs you can hear the other side playing backwards faintly while you listen to the other side forwards! Thank God for CDs!
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Classic Van Halen is better than Prozac
    By Texas Poundcake in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05.23.05, 09:15 PM
  2. VH1 Classic/Van Halen/Jump
    By Bob_R in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01.10.03, 05:41 PM
  3. Classic Van Halen Archives
    By dropdeadlegs in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07.25.02, 10:19 PM
  4. What Would You Like To See On A Classic Van Halen DVD?
    By dropdeadlegs in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02.07.02, 11:05 PM
  5. What Would You Like To See On A Classic Van Halen DVD?
    By dropdeadlegs in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02.05.02, 11:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •