Register
Page 281 of 286 FirstFirst ... 181231271278279280281282283284 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 4280
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 3,528 Times in 2,200 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Drums and guitar are completely diff instruments. The drums don't have the same touch control aspect.

Drum parts to high-end studio musicians are just replications of timing placement and accuracy. I've personally seen right in front of me studio players playing back Rush, Zep, Yes etc type drum parts 100% perfect... It's amazing. You could lay the recordings on top of the original drum takes that Peart did and they would be so accurate you wouldn't believe it.

Peart actually plays very straight time and doesn't shift the snare around as much as people think. His parts are mathematically complex but there's nothing impossible about them. The genius was in there original creation and raw tracking.

If they create a new band with a new name, they could record a 10 song record and then live they may add in 4 classic Rush tracks... and there are so many drummers that could play those parts in a great exciting way.
    No, theyíre not.

Lol, some of you guys.

Music is a lot more than tech.

Soul. If you donít feel it in Neilís play, perhaps you donít know Rush like others do.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 999 Times in 641 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    No, they’re not.

Lol, some of you guys.

Soul. If you don’t feel it in Neil’s play, perhaps you don’t know Rush like others do.
    If I could just make an observation as someone who hasn't really crossed swords much with you -

While I tend to agree with you here, this is one of those times you're taking it too far and being a condescending know-it-all prick.

Just thought you might want to know that...
    Last edited by jrk5150; 06.12.19 at 11:17 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 401 Times in 278 Posts

Youíre mistaken.

None of the guys in Rush are replaceable.

Ask yourself why exactly you believe that they are.
    Well, they are all human beings. And it happens to be replaceable in certain things, like being a band musician.
    Neil isn't the original drummer. He made his best to be as great as he could reach and he was successful in that intent.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

06.26.19 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 3,331 Times in 1,754 Posts

No, they’re not.

Lol, some of you guys.

Soul. If you don’t feel it in Neil’s play, perhaps you don’t know Rush like others do.
    I've played for 45 years, and I have no idea what you're talking about. SOUL to play high end prog type drums parts?

It's not rocket science... you either have the technique to hit each drum in the proper timing or you don't. 99.9999999999999% of drummers can't play Neil Peart's and many other drummers parts.

BUT....

There are a very small group of studio guys HQed in all the major recording hubs who CAN play them BECAUSE they have outstanding technique development and all the movements that exist in those parts are 100% within their control. End of story.

You are confusing the creation of the parts with the ability to replicate them.

Those studio guys may not be able to come up with parts like Neils, but they can replicate them after the fact.

2 diff skill sets.
    Last edited by noise next door; 06.12.19 at 11:26 AM.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

No, there isnít lol.

You could argue the same thing about Eddie. Plenty of cats can emulate Edís play note for note, and some better than he can. That doesnít mean his play can be accurately replicated. Because of soul.

Soul is everything when it comes to music.

Nobody will produce the same tone as Rush proper. Thatís why it wouldnít be Rush.
    I see. But you don't know if Benny Greb played in that video with THE soul you just described. You can't say he has more or less soul than Neil Peart's performance, live or studio ones. You can feel the great music produced by those 03 guys (Geddy, Alex and Neil) which is great. I can see and feel the same. But I can even appreciate a not so easy to imagine and almost impossible to figure new Rush line up with another drummer as good and soulful as Neil.
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    If I could just make an observation as someone who hasn't really crossed swords much with you -

While I tend to agree with you here, this is one of those times you're taking it too far and being a condescending know-it-all prick.

Just thought you might want to know that...
    Thanks for the two cents.

By the same token, I find the argument that discussion of replacement of an essential defining component of a band is ridiculous and self serving. I ainít wrong about Neil being irreplaceable and fans who think otherwise are simply wanting more of what they canít have. If youíre going to assert ops that are outlandishly out of the ballpark, expect scrutiny.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    I've played for 45 years, and I have no idea what you're talking about. SOUL to play high end prog type drums parts?

It's not rocket science... you either have the technique to hit each drum in the proper timing or you don't. 99.9999999999999% of drummers can't play Neil Peart's and many other drummers parts.

BUT....

There are a very small group of studio guys HQed in all the major recording hubs who CAN play them BECAUSE they have outstanding technique development and all the movements that exist in those parts are 100% within their control. End of story.

You are confusing the creation of the parts with the ability to replicate them.

Those studio guys may not be able to come up with parts like Neils, but they can replicate them after the fact.

2 diff skill sets.
    If you canít hear the difference between how Neil hits the skins and folks who replicate his technique...I dunno what to tell you.

I can hear it clear as day.

Last Online

Donor

Rush will never be a band with a different lineup lol.

VH fans are too accustomed to lineup changes.

Some folks think Queen works without Freddie too. I ainít one of them.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

VH fans are too accustomed to lineup changes.
    You probably have no idea what it is to be a Megadeth fan, VS.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks for the two cents.
    Hey, man, just lookin out for ya.

If you can’t hear the difference between how Neil hits the skins and folks who replicate his technique...I dunno what to tell you.

I can hear it clear as day.
    I think it would be very interesting to have a side by side blind listen comparison of studio sessions with Peart and a very very very good studio guy intent on replicating him to see who if anyone could actually tell the difference.

Hell - I'd love to see that with, say, Ed vs. Deraps, if you isolated down to eliminate all the external variables so that you could only hear the guitar. I'm sure some would be able to tell. I'd guarantee, as big of a fan as I am, that I probably couldn't.

Heh - I recall being pretty fired up that I recognized Humans Being on the radio as VH before I heard Sam's voice come in. I was driving and kind of zoned out, then the playing cut through my conscious and I was like hey, what the...and then Sam came on and I knew it was new VH.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 01:58 PM
    Liked 10,742 Times in 6,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Hey, man, just lookin out for ya.

I think it would be very interesting to have a side by side blind listen comparison of studio sessions with Peart and a very very very good studio guy intent on replicating him to see who if anyone could actually tell the difference.

Hell - I'd love to see that with, say, Ed vs. Deraps, if you isolated down to eliminate all the external variables so that you could only hear the guitar. I'm sure some would be able to tell. I'd guarantee, as big of a fan as I am, that I probably couldn't.

Heh - I recall being pretty fired up that I recognized Humans Being on the radio as VH before I heard Sam's voice come in. I was driving and kind of zoned out, then the playing cut through my conscious and I was like hey, what the...and then Sam came on and I knew it was new VH.
    You can replicate the sound. You can't replicate how the fans will feel about it. Rush is a special animal. You could clone all 3 guys and put them on stage and it still wouldn't feel the same.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    You probably have no idea what it is to be a Megadeth fan, VS.
    Lol. I am proud to admit I definitely do not.

Last Online

Donor

Soul is not quantifiable either. It wouldnít matter if another musician played Rush with Ďequitableí amounts of soul because soul is unique to each artist. Obviously nobody can play or replicate Neilís soul tone because heís the only one that possesses it lol.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    You can replicate the sound. You can't replicate how the fans will feel about it. Rush is a special animal. You could clone all 3 guys and put them on stage and it still wouldn't feel the same.
    And I do agree with that - I think the "irreplaceable" is more about chemistry and...spirit (?)...than it is the technical playing. And why I thought VS was going too far with his commentary. I don't think it's about the technical playing at all, as many have said, that can be imitated. And probably to the point where most couldn't tell the difference. But put them on stage...very very different animal.

VS - I know you're saying "soul", and sure. That works. I'm merely saying that it's not something your ears alone are picking up, it's a combination of factors that include the context of the entirety. I honestly don't believe you could tell the difference between Neal Peart and a really good imitator coming through the speakers. But you sure as fuck could tell the difference in the overall presentation on stage, for sure.

Last Online

Donor

Let it go, Elsa.

I guarantee you I could tell the difference between Neil and anyone else. Just like I could with Eddie.