Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 09:47 PM
    Liked 14,657 Times in 7,990 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I wouldn’t call Stewart a metronome, as even Andy Summers argues that he constantly sped up tempos.
    Stewart was very free and had those amazing snare and hi hat tones.
    Very different than Peart, yet back in those days, all my music buds were like: Peart and Copeland are the kings.
    There was a lot of love for Al too.
    Cant go wrong with any of those three, be it chops, style, tones, intensity, dynamics, or power.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 06:51 PM
    Liked 19,936 Times in 11,452 Posts

Stew sped up tempos on purpose. The Police were notorious for being immature children who would brawl at the drop of a hat for shits and giggles. Speeding up tempos was his way of being a dick.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 08:34 PM
    Liked 27,925 Times in 14,127 Posts

You're a drummer, you got one fucking job...do it.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Last Online

02.20.20 @ 11:22 PM
    Liked 4,415 Times in 2,814 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Ranking the studio albums, it really depends on which kinda Rush fan you are....and there's usually only two kinds. The 70's Rush fan, and the 80's Rush fan. I myself, naturally, am an 80's Rush fan through and through, though I love the earlier stuff as much as anyone else. There are Rush nerds who will arm themselves over a dispute challenging the majesty of the Big Concept Three...2112, Hemispheres, Farewell to Kings. Seriously, I know guys who go full blown Unabomber if anything else is suggested otherwise. Conversely, there's the Moving Pictures mainstream guys. Myself, much as I tout the 22 songs of WACF, FW, and the 4 OGs on DD for VH, with me, Rush's core essence is defined by the 80's Quad....Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure. Then there's the contingent of Rush fans that, rightfully, define Rush through their live albums, and that's fair, seeing as how they're the tightest live power trio to ever walk the earth. Few Gen X cats didn't grow up under the spell of Exit Stage Left, we all know that. And as far live Rush albums go, there's not a bad one in the bunch, and aside from the aforementioned ESL, it's hard to beat Show of Hands, Rush in Rio, or R-30 for powerhouse live Rush records.

But as far as studio albums go...? For me, it goes like this:

1. Signals

2. Permanent Waves

3. Moving Pictures

4. Grace Under Pressure

5. 2112

6. Hemispheres

7. Farewell to Kings

8. Rush

* I have a soft spot for the debut, despite Peart's absence. We played the FUCK outta this record as kids. It still holds up to this day.

9. Snakes and Arrows

* Another soft spot. In '07, this felt like a back to basics, after the fairly vast stretch of seemingly less profound tones through the 90's. Powerful return to roots.

10. Fly By Night

11. Counterparts

12. Clockwork Angels

13. Power Windows

14. Presto

15. Hold Your Fire

16. Caress of Steel

17. Roll the Bones

18. Vapor Trails

19. Test for Echo

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 13,178 Times in 7,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER
    Cant go wrong with any of those three, be it chops, style, tones, intensity, dynamics, or power.
    I told you we had this kid in the neighborhood, slightly older than us, who looked exactly like Alex Van Halen.
    He was a huge hard rock fan, so he loved being told he looked just like Al.
    It was sort of his claim to fame, and he got laid constantly at every high school party.
    All because he looked like Al.

But he was a pretty cool dude, as well.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 09:47 PM
    Liked 14,657 Times in 7,990 Posts

Different Stages is my favorite live Rush album. Perhaps the best produced live album I've heard. Dreamline as a show opener is the equivalent of Unchained being a monster opener for VH.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 11:49 PM
    Liked 1,839 Times in 980 Posts

Premium Member

That's a fair ranking VS.

I was an "up to Moving Pictures" guy for years after it came out, as were my music listening friends of that era. Then I bought A Show Of Hands. That changed it for me. I was driving for a job at the time, and that tape didn't leave the deck for at least 3 months solid. Rush, live, they were just incredible. It made me go back and give those albums more time, and interestingly, the one considered the most different to pre-1982 Rush, Hold Your Fire, became one of my favourite Rush albums. My wife and I refer to it as "The Red Album". After I told her Neil had died, she said, "Can you put The Red Album on?" That began an entire week of nothing but Rush.

1. Permanent Waves
    2. Moving Pictures
    3. 2112
    4. Signals
    5. Hold Your Fire
    6. Hemispheres
    7. Rush
    8. Farewell To Kings
    9. Power Windows
    10. Fly By night
    11. Clockwork Angels
    12. Presto
    13. Counterparts
    14. Snakes & Arrows
    15. Caress Of Steel
    16. Grace Under Pressure
    17.Vapor Trails
    18. Test For Echo
    19. Roll The Bones
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 08:34 PM
    Liked 27,925 Times in 14,127 Posts

Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures
    Signals

That's my core. I like everything else, though I have to be in the mood for certain albums, specifically Caress of Steel and Presto.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    That's a fair ranking VS.

I was an "up to Moving Pictures" guy for years after it came out, as were my music listening friends of that era. Then I bought A Show Of Hands. That changed it for me. I was driving for a job at the time, and that tape didn't leave the deck for at least 3 months solid. Rush, live, they were just incredible. It made me go back and give those albums more time, and interestingly, the one considered the most different to pre-1982 Rush, Hold Your Fire, became one of my favourite Rush albums. My wife and I refer to it as "The Red Album". After I told her Neil had died, she said, "Can you put The Red Album on?" That began an entire week of nothing but Rush.

1. Permanent Waves
    2. Moving Pictures
    3. 2112
    4. Signals
    5. Hold Your Fire
    6. Hemispheres
    7. Rush
    8. Farewell To Kings
    9. Power Windows
    10. Fly By night
    11. Clockwork Angels
    12. Presto
    13. Counterparts
    14. Snakes & Arrows
    15. Caress Of Steel
    16. Grace Under Pressure
    17.Vapor Trails
    18. Test For Echo
    19. Roll The Bones
    Our lists are quite similar. You ranked HYF higher than I, for obvious reasons.

Nothing beats live Rush, in terms of live arena rock. I thought the R30 overture was friggin' phenomenal. Wish they'd done something like that for every tour.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 277 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I would hope these guys would be above it, but I never would've thought i'd see Eagles touring without Glenn Frey or Steely Dan without Walter Becker, yet here we are...
    and don't forget Queen without Freddie Mercury.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 820 Times in 552 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Oh, Iím fully in the camp that PW, MP, Signals, and GUP are Rushís best records. Older school guys will always say Hemi, Kings, and 2112 are their best. GUP is sorely underrated by most. Itís epic, and has my favorite Rush track second only to La Villa......DEW. Just a perfect Rush track.
    I can agree with you on Waves, Pictures and Signals, that's for sure. But I was never a fan of Grace Under Pressure.
    Signals is by far my favourite Rush's record.

On topic and regarding to Neil's death ... What a sad day it was last January the 7th.

May he rest in peace!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 10:12 PM
    Liked 2,447 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I told you we had this kid in the neighborhood, slightly older than us, who looked exactly like Alex Van Halen.
    He was a huge hard rock fan, so he loved being told he looked just like Al.
    It was sort of his claim to fame, and he got laid constantly at every high school party.
    All because he looked like Al.

But he was a pretty cool dude, as well.
    So... there were chicks that were going around sayin "damn, I gotta find myself an Alex Van Halen lookalike... pronto!" ?!?!?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 10:12 PM
    Liked 2,447 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Ranking the studio albums, it really depends on which kinda Rush fan you are....and there's usually only two kinds. The 70's Rush fan, and the 80's Rush fan. I myself, naturally, am an 80's Rush fan through and through, though I love the earlier stuff as much as anyone else. There are Rush nerds who will arm themselves over a dispute challenging the majesty of the Big Concept Three...2112, Hemispheres, Farewell to Kings. Seriously, I know guys who go full blown Unabomber if anything else is suggested otherwise. Conversely, there's the Moving Pictures mainstream guys. Myself, much as I tout the 22 songs of WACF, FW, and the 4 OGs on DD for VH, with me, Rush's core essence is defined by the 80's Quad....Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure. Then there's the contingent of Rush fans that, rightfully, define Rush through their live albums, and that's fair, seeing as how they're the tightest live power trio to ever walk the earth. Few Gen X cats didn't grow up under the spell of Exit Stage Left, we all know that. And as far live Rush albums go, there's not a bad one in the bunch, and aside from the aforementioned ESL, it's hard to beat Show of Hands, Rush in Rio, or R-30 for powerhouse live Rush records.

But as far as studio albums go...? For me, it goes like this:

1. Signals

2. Permanent Waves

3. Moving Pictures

4. Grace Under Pressure

5. 2112

6. Hemispheres

7. Farewell to Kings

8. Rush

* I have a soft spot for the debut, despite Peart's absence. We played the FUCK outta this record as kids. It still holds up to this day.

9. Snakes and Arrows

* Another soft spot. In '07, this felt like a back to basics, after the fairly vast stretch of seemingly less profound tones through the 90's. Powerful return to roots.

10. Fly By Night

11. Counterparts

12. Clockwork Angels

13. Power Windows

14. Presto

15. Hold Your Fire

16. Caress of Steel

17. Roll the Bones

18. Vapor Trails

19. Test for Echo
    I'm not getting the shunning of Roll The Bones. The guitars are not heavy, but I think it has some of Neil's best lyrics. The idea that a lot of things are down to luck. In a spooky way, it turned out to be true for him. But also in a positive way, for Rush itself. Anyone who has been in a band knows that Rush's greatest achievement was probably the friendship these 3 guys were able to sustain for 45 plus years. In a band situation, it's a one in a million ocurence.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I'm not getting the shunning of Roll The Bones. The guitars are not heavy, but I think it has some of Neil's best lyrics. The idea that a lot of things are down to luck. In a spooky way, it turned out to be true for him. But also in a positive way, for Rush itself. Anyone who has been in a band knows that Rush's greatest achievement was probably the friendship these 3 guys were able to sustain for 45 plus years. In a band situation, it's a one in a million ocurence.
    I wouldn't call it shunning. Saw the RTB tour in '91, was crazy good. LOL, I remember all the Rush nerds at Irvine Meadows wanking about the 'rap' song. But yes, it's lyrically sound, as are virtually all the Rush albums.

For sure, their friendship was the central factor in their success. No egos or power plays or control campaigns. Madmen.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    I can agree with you on Waves, Pictures and Signals, that's for sure. But I was never a fan of Grace Under Pressure.
    Signals is by far my favourite Rush's record.

On topic and regarding to Neil's death ... What a sad day it was last January the 7th.

May he rest in peace!
    Signals is the best Rush record.

You should give GUP a closer spin. Afterimage, DEW, Red Sector A....this is some top shelf Rush.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: