Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 2,446 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Signals is the best Rush record.

You should give GUP a closer spin. Afterimage, DEW, Red Sector A....this is some top shelf Rush.
    I wonder if GUP's reputation was hurt by the terrible music videos they did for that record.
    I can't put Signals ahead of MP, though. If you do a song to song match-up, MP demolishes Signals. Starting with TomSawyer vs. Subdivisions. Sure Signals is an amazing record, just MP is even better. Even down to the album art.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 13,164 Times in 7,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    So... there were chicks that were going around sayin "damn, I gotta find myself an Alex Van Halen lookalike... pronto!" ?!?!?
    You gotta understand, this was the 80 s and Van Halen were a big deal in the burbs.

This kid looked like one of the members, but also was super confident and a party/ ill steal some beer, kinda guy.

Actually, he looked a lot like Mike Damone, now that I think of it.
    He was one of those kinda dudes.

Last Online

02.18.20 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 4,403 Times in 2,804 Posts

Donor

I wonder if GUP's reputation was hurt by the terrible music videos they did for that record.
    I can't put Signals ahead of MP, though. If you do a song to song match-up, MP demolishes Signals. Starting with TomSawyer vs. Subdivisions. Sure Signals is an amazing record, just MP is even better. Even down to the album art.
    MP is obviously a tentpole. But I'll happily match song to song. If you take away the fanboy goggles from MP, you're left with its two weakest tracks...Vital Signs and Witch Hunt. Which are both STELLAR tracks to me, don't get me wrong. If you take away the goggles from Signals, you're left with its two weakest tracks...Countdown and Losing It. Which, as you well know, all four of these songs are universally heralded by Rush fans as epic shiz, including me. But then you're left with the cream of the crops....

So it's Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Camera Eye, and Limelight vs. Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, Digital Man, Chemistry, New World Man, and The Weapon. Pound for pound, Neil's lyrics are higher end on Signals tracks and Alex's nuances shine far more on Signals than MP. IMO. Plus, as I mentioned above, virtually the ONLY mainstream radio play for Rush consists of MP's duo of TS and Limelight, followed closely by PW's Spirit of Radio...so MP gets a hit from me in terms of overplay. But I'm always a whore for my favorite bands' deep cuts over their radio hits, I admit.

Personally, I love Witch Hunt and Countdown, even though Geddy doesn't.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 08:29 PM
    Liked 5,417 Times in 2,445 Posts

For me one of the biggest compliments is how tight the spread from worse to best is when ranking Rush albums. For me one my favorites that is not one of the "classic" releases is Snakes and Arrows. Such a deep record and putting out that record so late in the career is a testament to their energy and creativity which are 2 things not often mentioned in regards to Rush for some reason.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    For me one of the biggest compliments is how tight the spread from worse to best is when ranking Rush albums. For me one my favorites that is not one of the "classic" releases is Snakes and Arrows. Such a deep record and putting out that record so late in the career is a testament to their energy and creativity which are 2 things not often mentioned in regards to Rush for some reason.
    Totally. Snakes and Arrows, at that late stage in their career, was a godsend from on high. Who'da thought those guys still had that much mojo in 2007. But they did. SnA is one of my favorite Rush records, and the tour was even better. The setlist at the Hollywood Bowl was beyond belief. SnA tracks translated VERY well to live play. Better than the record, but then again, a lot of Rush translates better live than studio, one of their signature hallmarks that makes them so unique.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Totally. Snakes and Arrows, at that late stage in their career, was a godsend from on high. Who'da thought those guys still had that much mojo in 2007. But they did. SnA is one of my favorite Rush records, and the tour was even better. The setlist at the Hollywood Bowl was beyond belief. SnA tracks translated VERY well to live play. Better than the record, but then again, a lot of Rush translates better live than studio, one of their signature hallmarks that makes them so unique.
    I saw them several times that tour and in the very beginning they played almost all of the record live including instrumentals. The use of video that tour was especially well timed like on The Larger Bowl. Those small segments are great contrast as lyrically they are not a light band.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 1,356 Times in 762 Posts

Never saw them live so now I can never have one of those "No regerts" tattoos.

TK

Last Online

Donor

I saw them several times that tour and in the very beginning they played almost all of the record live including instrumentals. The use of video that tour was especially well timed like on The Larger Bowl. Those small segments are great contrast as lyrically they are not a light band.
    All true. And yeah, the SnA instrumentals were powerful live. Hell, I still crank Malignant Narcissism to 11 when it spins. What a ripper.

2007 was such a powerhouse year for my music. My three favorite bands of all time literally reared their heads in the same touring season. Rush came back with their first studio album in five years since Vapor Trails, and it was a return to form. The Police reunited for the first time since '85 and I finally got to see them live, up close and personal, twice, and they were fucking amazing. Dave and Eddie reunited, and if they'd fucking done what they ought to have done and had Mike back instead of the kid, and if they'd worked up ADKOT with Mike to release it BEFORE the tour...presuming Eddie was ready, which we of course know he wasn't...but man what a close thing.

In 2007, the return of Rush, the return of the Police, and the (almost) return of the OG Van Halen. It was a good year for me. I saw all three outfits front and center, as I was finally making enough dough to do so, and said fuck it, I'm paying for front row for all of it. Rush at the Hollywood Bowl, the Police at Staples Center, and VH4 at SDSU. And that VH4 show in San Diego was the best I'd ever seen Dave perform, vocally. Couldn't believe it.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

All true. And yeah, the SnA instrumentals were powerful live. Hell, I still crank Malignant Narcissism to 11 when it spins. What a ripper.

2007 was such a powerhouse year for my music. My three favorite bands of all time literally reared their heads in the same touring season. Rush came back with their first studio album in five years since Vapor Trails, and it was a return to form. The Police reunited for the first time since '85 and I finally got to see them live, up close and personal, twice, and they were fucking amazing. Dave and Eddie reunited, and if they'd fucking done what they ought to have done and had Mike back instead of the kid, and if they'd worked up ADKOT with Mike to release it BEFORE the tour...presuming Eddie was ready, which we of course know he wasn't...but man what a close thing.

In 2007, the return of Rush, the return of the Police, and the (almost) return of the OG Van Halen. It was a good year for me. I saw all three outfits front and center, as I was finally making enough dough to do so, and said fuck it, I'm paying for front row for all of it. Rush at the Hollywood Bowl, the Police at Staples Center, and VH4 at SDSU. And that VH4 show in San Diego was the best I'd ever seen Dave perform, vocally. Couldn't believe it.
    Nice when old dogs surprise you by showing they still have a trick or two left

Last Online

Donor

Nice when old dogs surprise you by showing they still have a trick or two left
    Yes. To be fair, if anybody could do it, it'd be those three outfits. Well, I think Sam did it in '09 with Joe Satriani too.

I gotta say, when I last caught AC/DC on the Black Ice tour in 2008...it was less than ephemeral.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 27,896 Times in 14,110 Posts

I'm not getting the shunning of Roll The Bones. The guitars are not heavy, but I think it has some of Neil's best lyrics. The idea that a lot of things are down to luck. In a spooky way, it turned out to be true for him. But also in a positive way, for Rush itself. Anyone who has been in a band knows that Rush's greatest achievement was probably the friendship these 3 guys were able to sustain for 45 plus years. In a band situation, it's a one in a million ocurence.
    Two of my favorite Rush songs are on Roll The Bones: Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance. But most of the rest I am just "eh" on. I like Neurotica live, can't remember which shows I head it at, they are all a blur now, but I remember going "hmm, I like that a lot better live".
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 19,910 Times in 11,438 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Two of my favorite Rush songs are on Roll The Bones: Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance. But most of the rest I am just "eh" on. I like Neurotica live, can't remember which shows I head it at, they are all a blur now, but I remember going "hmm, I like that a lot better live".
    Yeah, Role The Bones wasn’t a strong effort in my opinion.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 2,446 Times in 1,390 Posts

MP is obviously a tentpole. But I'll happily match song to song. If you take away the fanboy goggles from MP, you're left with its two weakest tracks...Vital Signs and Witch Hunt. Which are both STELLAR tracks to me, don't get me wrong. If you take away the goggles from Signals, you're left with its two weakest tracks...Countdown and Losing It. Which, as you well know, all four of these songs are universally heralded by Rush fans as epic shiz, including me. But then you're left with the cream of the crops....

So it's Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Camera Eye, and Limelight vs. Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, Digital Man, Chemistry, New World Man, and The Weapon. Pound for pound, Neil's lyrics are higher end on Signals tracks and Alex's nuances shine far more on Signals than MP. IMO. Plus, as I mentioned above, virtually the ONLY mainstream radio play for Rush consists of MP's duo of TS and Limelight, followed closely by PW's Spirit of Radio...so MP gets a hit from me in terms of overplay. But I'm always a whore for my favorite bands' deep cuts over their radio hits, I admit.

Personally, I love Witch Hunt and Countdown, even though Geddy doesn't.
    I don't see how you beat side 1 of MP - TS, Red, Limelight, YYZ. But then side 2 starts with The Camera Eye, a masterpiece! And then Witch Hunt is an epic track! Vital Signs is their first track with the Police influence. It's slightly weaker than the rest - but just very slightly. But by the time you reach VS, the record's legacy as legendary is already well established.
    Little Dreamer

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 13,164 Times in 7,204 Posts

Red Barchetta is absolutely beautiful.

I love how Tom Sawyer fades out, then those beautiful harmonics fade in.
    And then Geddy plays this gorgeous bass improv, right before they go into the chords.

I've always side one of Moving Pictures, might be the greatest side one of ANY album.
    It's just perfect.

But Signals is my second fave.

That is a great album.

"Subdivisions" is so morose & compelling, it instantly grabbed me back in the day.

I'm not super deep with Rush, but i think the trilogy of PW, MP & Signals, is
    damn near flawless rock.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 14,647 Times in 7,981 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Yeah, Role The Bones wasn’t a strong effort in my opinion.
    Agreed, but Dreamline is AWESOME. I said it earlier, but it being the opening track on Different Stages Live is simply terrific. It is as good of a show opener for them as Unchained is for VH.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: