Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 8,336 Times in 4,215 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Guys, this is a sad read

GODSMACK's SULLY ERNA Says NEIL PEART 'Was In A Wheelchair And He Couldn't Speak' In Months Leading Up To His Death

January 16, 2020

In an interview with Mistress Carrie of the Boston radio station WAAF, Sully Erna of GODSMACK opened up about the recent passing of Neil Peart and the profound impact the legendary RUSH drummer had on his musical upbringing.

Sully said (hear audio below): "Growing up, I will say that [Neil] was probably the single most influential musician in my life. If it wasn't him and and John Bonham [LED ZEPPELIN] — and Shannon Larkin [GODSMACK], by the way — that's my 'big three' [of drum influences]… Honestly, [Peart's] technique, his hands, his amazing rhythms is really what kind of tuned me up to become the drummer I became. Between Bonham and Neil Peart, those were the guys."

Over the years, Erna got the "surreal" opportunity to meet Neil multiple times and become "friends" with him. "The song 'Serenity' [from GODSMACK's 2003 album 'Faceless'], most people might not even know, was about [Neil's] book 'Ghost Rider: [Travels On The Healing Road]' that came out in 2002 about his life," Sully said. "And that's when I first got to meet him. And since then, I became really good friends with his assistant and we've always kept in touch. I think we may have one of the last on-camera interviews with Neil, recently, when he agreed to do an interview for the director of this feature documentary we're doing on my life story. He sat down in his whole drumming warehouse place and talked about me and Shannon's playing and our drum solo and how impressed he was with the whole thing. And then soon after that, I heard he had gotten sick."

According to Erna, he knew about Peart's battle with brain cancer "for a while," but was "asked, out of respect for Neil and the privacy he liked to live in, to just not say anything. But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me. And then I got the call a few days ago [letting me know about his death]. And they weren't supposed to release [an official statement about it] till [Friday], they told me, so I just chose to honor that request and keep my mouth shut.

"When I got the call, man, it was like a big part of my life ended there too, because he was a tremendous influence [to me]," Erna added. "I can't even articulate how much this guy meant to me and how big of an inspiration he was and an influence on me being a musician. He was one of the 'everything' people in my life."

Erna told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that meeting the RUSH drummer was a highlight of his 20 years as a recording artist. "Being able to meet Neil Peart a couple of times, I didn't need to meet anyone else after that," he said. "As much as I love the Steven Tylers and the Joe Perrys and the James Hetfields, you know, I quit school because of RUSH. Really, that's all I did is I studied RUSH, you know. I sat home and strapped on headphones and played 'Moving Pictures' and 'Exit… Stage Left' and 'Signals' and all these great albums."

In 2018, Erna told Classic Rock magazine that RUSH's "Moving Pictures" was one of several albums that changed his life.

GODSMACK is continuing to tour in support of its latest album, "When Legends Rise", which was released in April 2018. The disc follows up 2014's "1000hp" and is the band's first release through BMG after splitting with its longtime home,

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/go...-to-his-death/
    I am not a rush fan by any means but I hope this guy gets bird flu. What a piece of shit. He just named drop yo get some publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 2,446 Times in 1,391 Posts

It's amazing that no one talked during the last 3 years. Nurses, assistants, delivery guys, etc. Not a word.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 12,405 Times in 6,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    It's amazing that no one talked during the last 3 years. Nurses, assistants, delivery guys, etc. Not a word.
    Very tight circle of people who respected him. The more amazing part was that he was dead for 3 days before it hit the press.

Last Online

02.22.20 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 4,418 Times in 2,816 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I am not a rush fan by any means but I hope this guy gets bird flu. What a piece of shit. He just named drop yo get some publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. And he’s lying outright. Scum.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

People want to know the personal stuff. But that's EXACTLY the stuff Neil didn't want you to know!
    Little Dreamer

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 11:05 PM
    Liked 1,839 Times in 980 Posts

Premium Member
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 19,952 Times in 11,462 Posts

RUSH's Longtime Friend Says Claims That NEIL PEART Couldn't Speak Before His Death Are 'Not Accurate'

January 19, 2020

Donna Halper — the woman who is credited with discovering RUSH while working at an Ohio radio station back in 1974 — says it is "inaccurate" to say that drummer Neil Peart was unable to speak in the months leading up to his death.

Halper appeared to be responding to a recent interview with Sully Erna, where the GODSMACK frontman said that his "friend" Peart "was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak" as of around a year before he passed on January 7 following a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer.

On Saturday (January 18), Halper took to her Twitter to write: "Sad to say, there are some rumors about Neil Peart's final months circulating on social media. The vast majority are inaccurate. As for me, I choose to remember Neil as he was, and I want to respect his family's privacy during this difficult time."

She added in follow-up tweets: "Normally, I would remain silent and let people say what they want to say, but this is different. My friendship with RUSH is something I take very seriously, and I will defend the truth as much as I can. It's the least I can do.

"But it ended the way he wanted, surrounded by his family & best friends. (By the way, he was able to speak, almost till the very end, I am told.) Anyway, I'm just sorry there is no cure for the kind of cancer he had. May he rest in peace.

"That's the only reason I decided to say something. I hope folks understand. This is not about me. It's about respecting Neil's memory and letting him rest in peace.

"Yes, it is true that Neil fought his disease bravely. This kind of cancer has taken a number of wonderful people from us. But he never gave up, and he did not want folks to know how sick he was.

"I don't know whether he had the energy to keep a journal. But I do know that claims he couldn't speak are not accurate. I assume if he wrote anything, it will come out eventually. I don't think this is the right time for me to ask, however.

"I was there for it all, from 1974 till they stopped performing as a band. We've kept in touch for more than forty-five years, and I feel very fortunate to be even a small part of their story.

"I've been friends with the members of the band (and in some cases, their families) for more than four decades. It's something that means a lot to me. So, I'm getting my information from folks who were there, is all I'm saying."

According to NPR, Halper is credited with getting RUSH its U.S. record deal and breaking the band: In 1974, while working as music director and a DJ at the legendary Cleveland radio station WMMS, she played an import copy of RUSH's early single, "Working Man", which promptly took off. The buzz soon led to a record deal for the band, which singled out Halper for special thanks in the liner notes of its self-titled debut album.

In a 2008 interview with The Patriot Ledger, Halper stated about RUSH: "I can tell you that success has not spoiled [the members of RUSH] at all. They've had many gold albums, performed all over the world, and have earned the acclaim of a devoted fan base. Critics have been somewhat scornful of them, but their millions of fans adore them."

At the time, RUSH bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee spoke fondly about Halper, saying: "She is a fiercely passionate and highly opinionated woman and is a tireless supporter of RUSH.

"We have remained friends through the years and she always makes a point of paying us a visit whenever we are near her home."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ru...-not-accurate/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

I don't think Donna was in touch with him during the last year, but she knows ppl who were. I think an interview with Geddy would bring some measure of closure on all this. Although 9 days later, I'm far from over it. It's still stuck in my mind, in my thoughts every day.
    Little Dreamer

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 07:32 AM
    Liked 1,513 Times in 920 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My soon to be ex wife has known them since 1980 or 81. She spoke with them off an on all these years. I know she hadn't spoken to anyone in a couple of years. But she is devastated...
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    My soon to be ex wife has known them since 1980 or 81. She spoke with them off an on all these years. I know she hadn't spoken to anyone in a couple of years. But she is devastated...
    Your ex is a Rush fan?!? You need to reconsider...
    Little Dreamer

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

My friend Mark put it this way: it's like losing a planet in the sky.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 11:02 PM
    Liked 25,672 Times in 14,587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    My friend Mark put it this way: it's like losing a planet in the sky.
    They did take Pluto away from us back in 2006. The planet, not the dog.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 4,222 Times in 2,582 Posts

Premium Member

Does anyone think Alex and Geddy would ever play Rush songs again with another drummer?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 277 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Does anyone think Alex and Geddy would ever play Rush songs again with another drummer?
    I could certainly see benefit shows or something like that. Touring for money, I'm not so sure about. Either way, it's going to take time to heal from this. They've already been on hiatus, so it's not like he died in the middle of a tour or something

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 19,952 Times in 11,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    I could certainly see benefit shows or something like that. Touring for money, I'm not so sure about. Either way, it's going to take time to heal from this. They've already been on hiatus, so it's not like he died in the middle of a tour or something
    Yep.

Pretty sad because Alex and Geddy were struggling with how they would continue after 2015. They’re both on record as saying they weren’t done playing and they also wanted to keep playing together.

Maybe they’ll feel forced to accept that they can never play together in a band situation.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen