Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WMMS Cleveland - Interview by Matt.

Van Halen, in particular, the Hagar era, has always been a religion for me. All
    of my very best friendships in this world, were started around musical
    discussion that led us to discover that "5150" was definitely our favorite album
    ever recorded, and when it came to live videos, there was definitely nothing
    that could touch our well worn copies of "Live Without A Net". Any TRUE Van
    Halen fan knows that the Hagar and Roth eras are two very separate periods of
    time, and one, does not mix with the other..or does it? In what could be a
    possible sign of the apocalypse, Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth have united for
    a tour this summer, and the tour opens right here in Cleveland, on Wednesday,
    May 29th. I had an opportunity to catch up with Sammy and discuss many things on
    a Friday afternoon, and here is just a bit of what the Red Rocker had to say!

MBL - You guys have said some pretty colorful stuff about each other in the
    past. How is it in 2002 that you guys are touring together?
    SAMMY HAGAR (SH) - First of all, Dave said a lot of colorful things about me,
    and he said a lot of crazy, wild, goofy things about me because his feelings
    were hurt because I joined the band that he thought he was going to die with,
    and we took it right straight down the road. I understand why he was a little
    upset about that. If you look at some of the things that he's said about me,
    it's just pure angry stuff like, "he's a no talent troll. He's my bitch." And
    I'm going, "Oh, boy."

MBL - That was my favorite - "He's my bitch, and when he says my name, we just
    sell that many more records."
    SH - Yeah. For him to even say that.Take a look at me and take a look at him
    together. It kind of looks like he's really my bitch, but I'm not claiming that.
    The only thing that I ever said about Dave was the truth. We did have a rivalry.
    As many times as he's went back into Van Halen and tried to make it work.they've
    thrown me out and try to get him back in, then throw him out and get Gary
    Cherone in, throw him out and get Dave back, throw him out, get him back again.
    I'm going, "hold on here." I called their attorney and said, "why can't we just
    do the Sammy Hagar 'Sam and Dave Tour'? Tell Ed and Al, "Don't worry. We'll all
    travel separately and meet on stage, and we just do the show." They threw that
    out, you know, don't even want to talk about it. I think that we had both just
    had enough, and he just called up and said, "let's just do it together - The Sam
    and Dave tour." I said, "Right the Hell on!" It came together. When we met in a
    room for the first time to discuss the whole thing, Dave stood up and shook
    hands and said, "I don't care what's gone on in the past and what's been said in
    the past, we're just meeting for the first time. Let's just start from there." I
    said, "right on." That's the way we approached it. So far, so good. But now,
    what hasn't happened yet has been us going out on stage - not together. He's got
    his band, I've got mine. But in Cleveland, the very first show, on the coin toss
    Dave closes that show, and we go every other one. I close the next show, then
    Dave closes Chicago and I close whatever is next. The problem is that we haven't
    addressed yet is, "what's Dave gonna do when I've finished my hour and a half on
    stage?" That's gonna be the problem. That's all I'm going to say. Everyone's
    going, "what do you see as a problem." I'm saying that the problem is that Dave
    has to walk out and follow me, and that's all I've got to say. We'll find out
    what the man's made of.

MBL - So, the coin toss has already been made and he's going to close in
    Cleveland?
    SH - Yep, so get there early, folks!! Even if I was closing in Cleveland, it
    wouldn't matter. This is really about the whole show. We have this big 30'x40'
    video screen that we're going to put together. Dave's putting 10 minutes of his
    career together. I'm putting 10 minutes of my career together.you know, little
    footage of things like Ronnie Montrose wrestling with me backstage and stuff.

MBL - Does any of that footage include any letters like, "Four #1 albums with
    Van Halen?"
    SH - (laughing) I'm not going to brag, but we're going to put all the little
    pieces of video clips together. I don't know what it's all going to be, but we
    each have 10 minutes, and then we're going to hire a guy - a filmmaker - to put
    all that footage together into a 20 minute video that's going to be shown before
    the show starts. Anyone that misses that probably just shouldn't even come. It's
    going to set the whole thing up so well, and then boom! It's going to be an hour
    and a half each. We both get full production. It's not like the opening guy that
    night gets short changed. The opening guy that night gets the full stage. The
    other band's gear is completely off the stage. When I finish, they wipe the
    stage and put Dave's stuff up. We've spent a lot of money on technology, getting
    things that roll out. We built this whole high tech stage so that we can switch
    over in 20 minutes and people don't have to wait while we set up for the whole
    next production. It's all good. I've got my waitresses and my 50 people with me
    on stage from the Cabo Wabo, and I've got my bartenders and my 20 cases of Cabo
    Wabo Tequila. I'm just throwing the big Cabo Wabo tequila party every night.
    It's going to be a last.

MBL - So, the Cabo Wabo remains intact then.
    SH - Yeah. I had to redesign it, because it had to move quicker, but it's more
    high tech now. We've got bleachers that fold up, and they are all scrimmed and
    painted up really fancy. We get 25 people on each side around the screen, so 50
    people. The bleachers are connected to the big screen. It's just a big party.

MBL - Is anyone going to document this for DVD purposes?
    SH - I hope so. We're having troubles with that. Dave has his rules. For some
    reason, Dave's a control freak.

MBL - Well, so would you be to a point, don't you think?
    SH - No.

MBL - No?
    SH - I say, "Anything goes." I'm saying, "Dave, you can control your set. When
    you are up there for an hour and a half, you're in control. I have no say so. I
    don't even want to know what you did. I could care less! You can bring 50 naked
    women up there and you can do anything you want. That's what you're here for -
    to entertain these people. They've got to walk away happy." But when I'm on
    stage, you've got no say so. But he said, "I want to make sure that you don't do
    this and you don't do that." And I'm like, "Dave, forget about it." This is like
    a competition. This is like Ultimate Fighting Championship. You go in there and
    you can bite, scratch, pinch, pull hair, anything. Hit below the belt - legal.

MBL - Was there anything that went into Cleveland being the official launching
    pad for the tour, or is that just how it happened?
    SH - It had a lot to do with the logistics of starting in a place that had the
    individual places that were available. This tour came up kind of late, and a lot
    of the places where pretty stacked.a lot of the venues. So, it worked out that
    if it started in Cleveland, which we were all good for.you know, it's not like
    it's not the rock and roll capital of the world or anything. But it really
    worked out routing wise, because then we go to Detroit, and then to Indianapolis
    and then St. Louis. So, it really routed nicely starting the tour out there. If
    we started on one of the coasts, it wouldn't have worked out. Of course, I would
    rather it would have started in my hometown so I can stay in my house a week
    longer, but it didn't work out that way. It's just going to be a blast. I'm not
    doing all Van Halen. Everyone knows that. I'm going to do my handful of the Van
    Halen hits; the Van Hagar hits or whatever, and Dave's doing exclusive Van
    Halen. It's all good. You are going to get a big dose of Van Halen, and you are
    going to get a big dose of some fun rock and roll, you know, "55", "One Way To
    Rock", "Heavy Metal", "Three Lock Box," "Mas Tequila" - what am I going to do? I
    can't not do those songs for the RedHeads out there.

MBL - I think that whether you have 2 ½ hours or an hour like you did for us
    about a year ago at that nice little club show you did, you have the power to
    deliver.
    SH - I like to have fun, but I don't need to apologize for liking to have fun,
    do I? Matt, come on! I told Dave that it ain't about who can scream the loudest,
    jump the highest or play guitar the fastest. It's about who can throw the best
    party, and if you can out party me, pal, then God bless ya. I'll be in your
    dressing room the next night.

MBL - Initially we heard that there was going to be the sets by you guys,
    followed by an end of the night jam with all of you. Now as the tour comes to
    fruition, it seems that the jam has gone away. What happened?
    SH - I wanted it to be that way. I had seen Elton and Billy on tour, even though
    this is not much like Elton and Billy (laughing), although it might be more like
    a WWF version. I thought it was a great show the way they co-mingled and the way
    they started together acoustically singing each other's songs. The first thing I
    presented, I was like, "Dave, we can really do something great for the fans
    doing something like that," and he said, "Absolutely not. I've never jammed with
    anybody. I've never sang anybody else's songs and I'm not going to start now."
    And I was like, "Fine." I've got no problem with any of it. Like I said,
    anything goes with me. I just felt that when I'm out on stage that I don't want
    to hear from anybody else about nothing until I'm done. When I'm done, then I'm
    done. Dave doesn't want to do it. At the press conference, he had a little bit
    of a change of heart, a little bit. He said, "well, once we get out there and
    get to know each other and see what each other's doing, you never know. Anything
    could happen." So I'm saying, "OK." I'm a jammer. Any town I'm in, if there's
    another musician on the side of the stage, I'm inviting him out. That's just the
    way I am. That's why I build the Cabo Wabo, to jam with my friends and stuff.
    I'm really open to that, and hopefully it turns into that, but I wouldn't
    guarantee that. Really, it's just two bands and two solo artists going out there
    and trying to make the other guy wish he wasn't there.

MBL - It sounds like it's a good anything goes thing going into this tour.
    SH - It's a good fan thing. If I was a fan sitting in the audience, I would be
    like, "all right. I get to see these guys go at it. It isn't about even trying
    to cheer for your favorite guy. This is about entertainment. It's about hearing
    all these great songs and jumping up and down and cracking up and having a hoot.
    It's going to be a good, good, good, good time rock and roll.

MBL - For me, I grew up with the Hagar era of Van Halen, and I never got a
    chance to see Roth live, so this is a chance for me to see that on a curiosity
    level. I guess you really do get to see the best of both worlds as a Van Halen
    fan.
    SH - Absolutely, and you nailed that right on the head. There was so many of the
    Van Hagar fans that thought it and a bunch of the Roth era that never came on
    board with the Van Hagar era and always said, "Roth was the best, and it ain't
    the same anymore," and then the Van Hagar fans and the Sammy Hagar fans that
    joined the Van Halen crowd that said, "Oh, this is so much better than it ever
    was." It is a chance, kind of, to maybe see kind of a touch on that. But it's
    not a pure Van Halen thing. This is just, in my opinion, two legendary rockers
    going out and doing their thing, and it's very interesting to see the seasoning
    on each of us that really brings together the two of us. Together I think you
    are going to get the best of both of us. For me, when I finish, I want this guy
    to go, "Oh my God. I don't ever want to follow that guy again," and I know that
    he feels the same way. I'm going to give Dave all the credit in the world. If I
    have to be following that knucklehead, I'm going to be going, "I'm going to kill
    that guy." It's good, man. It's good. I'm excited. I'm so up for it. My band,
    they are like mountain biking to rehearsal. They are coming in and they are
    pumping iron to get ready. We are up for this mother, man.

MBL - I've got to think that with one wrong look, Mona's gonna take Dave out!
    SH - Well, that's gonna happen. That could be the whole highlight of the tour,
    baby. Someone will go, "What was the highlight," and I'll go, "Well, one day
    Dave was walking down the hall making some sly remarks, and Mona walked out and
    decked him (laughing). I'm telling you, she'll deck him. We talk about it all
    the time. Mona keeps saying, "Oh God, I hope I can keep from punching this guy
    in the face." And I'm going, "Mona, just wait until the last show, OK?
    (laughing) I want this tour to happen.

MBL - To talk about something else, you have this really cool other project in
    the works called Planet Us. What is going on with that?
    SH - Well, Michael Anthony is at my house right now. He stayed last night and
    he's staying for the next three days. With my band, we are rehearsing during the
    day, and with Planet Us, we are trying to write some new songs at night and
    trying to get as many songs in the can as we can, so that when we start
    recording in the fall, we'll have a lot of material there. We really postponed
    the project until the fall because I'm on tour and Journey is also on tour this
    summer. Poor Mikey is sitting around scratching his head going, "Why aren't I
    out there playing?" We're writing, and it's really an exciting project. I don't
    want to hype it too much it's so brand new, but the energy between us is so
    unique. Everyone knows that Slash was originally asked to do it, and he was in,
    but as soon as we started rehearsing, he never made it. Finally, we recorded two
    songs without him, and it was so good that we were like, we don't really need
    anybody else because it was so good with Neil. Neil's a very busy guitar player,
    and Deen Castronovo is an unbelievably busy drummer and Mike is a very busy bass
    player, so it was kind of like really rockin'. It's like kind of early Zep meets
    Cream meets Van Halen maybe, and meets Tool maybe. It's a little more modern
    like Tool. It's very intense, and kind of Rush-y. It's not like any of that,
    really, but it's on that ilk of bands. It's very musical. I'm very excited about
    it. If it wasn't for the Sam and Dave Tour this summer, I was going to work
    exclusively with Planet Us, because it's that exciting. I'm not leaving my band.
    This is a project, and it's really, really good.

MBL - Going back to Michael Anthony, it was really obvious that you and him had
    the most camaraderie together. It was always Sammy and Michael during the Van
    Halen years. Then, after you left, there was no more Sammy and Michael hanging
    out at the Cabo Wabo.
    SH - I know, but that's all changed now. He's not only joining me for my
    birthday bash from October 1st to the 13th this year, but Planet Us is joining
    me to do,and we're going to do a Los Tres Gusanos reunion, which is myself, my
    drummer and Mikey. That was the original band down at Cabo, Los Tres Gusanos -
    Three Worms. Then Planet Us is going to play a night. My band is going to play a
    night, and then the guys from Metallica.I don't know if the whole band, but for
    sure Lars and Kirk are going to be there, and we'll put together a jam band.
    Some of the guys from Nickelback are going to come, because they had to
    reschedule from last year when the hurricane hit and we had to blow out the
    Mexican Meltdown. So, it's going to be the craziest week of rock and roll ever.
    And it's just.Mikey and I are back. We both said, "we don't care about 'the
    brothers'. They can't tell us who we can have as friends." I don't care anyway,
    but I've always been protective of Mikey anyway because he's in the band, and I
    don't ever want to destroy that for him. If he ever got thrown out of that band,
    it would be terrible because I can't add him to my band unless Mona quits, and I
    can't fire her because she's the greatest. She's been loyal and all that stuff.
    I'm kind of in a predicament, but I'm definitely on his side. Right now I'm
    calling Mikey "Switzerland" - he's neutral. He can do anything he wants.

MBL - Well, I'm going to let you run, and let you go on to other things.
    SH - I've got to go to rehearsal. I've got to go to my favorite thing in the
    world, man. I've got to go play music.

MBL - We will see you here in Cleveland on the 29th, and I can't wait, man.
    SH - I want to thank everybody for waiting in line and camping out and stuff for
    those tickets. We're already at about 7,000 in Cleveland. Half of the place is
    sold. I just want to say that that is really fantastic for me. It makes me feel
    really good that the fans really care about me and this tour. We won't let you
    down, so come on. Buy the rest of those tickets.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vince G.:
    Poor Mikey is sitting around scratching his head going, "Why aren't I
    out there playing?" Mikey and I are back. We both said, "we don't care about 'the
    brothers'.
    I thought so . It's certainly not hard to read anything else into these statements. They express both feelings of friendship (Sam & Mike), and disappointment (Mike & the bros).

Excellent post, as I did not catch this. Thanks for the transcript ! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

'Tickets arrived in the mail over the weekend ! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

together. It kind of looks like he's really my bitch, but I'm not claiming that.

Ouch! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

out, you know, don't even want to talk about it.

thank God! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

, Dave stood up and shook
    hands and said, "I don't care what's gone on in the past and what's been said in
    the past, we're just meeting for the first time. Let's just start from there." I
    said, "right on." That's the way we approached it. So far, so good.

I like the last line

close the next show, then
    Dave closes Chicago and I ...

and I'M THERE!

The problem is that we haven't
    addressed yet is, "what's Dave gonna do when I've finished my hour and a half on
    what the man's made of.

Dolemite Motha'fucka'

This is like Ultimate Fighting Championship. You go in there and

martial arts vs the boxer

We've got bleachers that fold up, and they are all scrimmed and
    people. The bleachers are connected to the big screen. It's just a big party

bleachers?? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] what is this? a little league baseball game?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Dave is not very "record me live" friendly

, "Dave, we can really do something great for the fans
    doing something like that," and he said, "Absolutely not. I've never jammed with

Ice Cream Man, You Really Got Me, Where Have all the good times gone, You're no good, pretty woman, california girls, shy boy, .....i can keep going....

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by hain23x:

Ouch!

out, you know, don't even want to talk about it.

thank God! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

, Dave stood up and shook
    said, "right on." That's the way we approached it. So far, so good.

I like the last line

close the next show, then
    Dave closes Chicago and I ...

and I'M THERE!

The problem is that we haven't
    what the man's made of.

Dolemite Motha'fucka'

This is like Ultimate Fighting Championship. You go in there and

martial arts vs the boxer

We've got bleachers that fold up, and they are all scrimmed and
    people. The bleachers are connected to the big screen. It's just a big party

bleachers?? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] what is this? a little league baseball game?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Dave is not very "record me live" friendly

, "Dave, we can really do something great for the fans

Ice Cream Man, You Really Got Me, Where Have all the good times gone, You're no good, pretty woman, california girls, shy boy, .....i can keep going....
    Would you like me to send you your UFF application, or do you want to apply online?? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vince G.:

This tour has to be filmed!! I hope Dave & Sammy can figure out all the details......
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Once again Sammy Hagar shows he has no class.
    Sammy spent half of that interview ragging on Dave.

For the record, Sammy started the Dave bashing back when he joined VH, not vice versa.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

While I am all for the "Van Hagar" era of "Van Halen" it seems that Sammy has some feelings of frusteration remaining with the brothers and DLR... Sammy has a block on his shoulder... But, WAIT! I bet DLR has some undiscolsed anxiety towards Van Hagar! Yes, it will be a summer to remember for fan's of Van Halen. Perhaps we will remember Van Halen for what they are... FORD will fill us in for what that is worth... LMFAO!!!
    "What is understood don't need to be discussed. 'Aint that right Edward?'" Sammy Hagar, Right Here Right Now