Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

People are going to bitch, so disclaimers up front:

1) I attended the show in Chicago.
    2) I am Dave-biased.
    3) I think Dave's band is better than Sam's, even when MA is on stage.
    4) I think the only way to appreciate music is to be objective about the who, what, and where.

After the first leg, Sam is winning.

Let me say this up front: This is not an audition to become the lead singer in VH! It's about making money from the fans, not bringing anything to them. It's about two guys who needed to hear the roar of the crowd again after being off the top for several years. These guys realized they needed each other to get it done. Hats off to them for pulling it off.

The "contest" is an obvious ruse. Two guys who have a mutual disrespect for each other finally realized that they could do a lot better joining forces. Rather than admit publicly that they don't hate each other any more (for fear of losing fans) the lawyers concocted a scheme to make the tour plausable. Hats off to them too.

Both bands are adequate. Neither is stellar. Sure they can pull a Van Halen impression of sorts. So what? They have the lead singers for crying out loud! I don't leave the show thinking that either of these guys did a better job with a tune than the original members could. When a really good band does a cover of someone's tune, they add something to it. Neither band is adding. Subtracting maybe...

Neither guy is trotting out his solo stuff in great detail. Yeah Sam is doing his tunes, and that's great. But he's also making a point to highlight the VH tunes with his showmanship and with the half-time addition of MA. Dave should do more solo stuff, but he won't.

Both guys are selling. Dave is selling his shit DVD. Sam is selling his shit tequila. Dave is doing less active selling, but his lacksidasical act on stage draws just as much attention to the big screen and the DVD as it does to him. Sam's bringing it out there, but he's attempting to be entertaining. It's a wash.

Both guys are past their prime in terms of what they can accomplish on stage, but Dave is worse off. Sam still has the emotion. Dave is acting the emotion. Sam has the advantage of having been "there" much more recently than Dave.

Sam is putting on a better show. I know, Dave's doing his thing. Great. Sam's thing is more engaging, and that's what people want when they go to a concert. Anyone who has seen Dave live with VH (or even heard him) hopes that in 15 years he's got a little something new. He doesn't. Sam is just more energetic.

The true litmus test is this: When you went to the concert, you expected something from both of these guys. Honestly, who left you less disappointed? Even if you think Dave "won" your show, did he meet the expectations of the people around you?

Flame away.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only have one response. Two sentences that'll make everything discussed on this board totally moot and that is:

#1. Van Halen was best when David Lee Roth was the singer, and

#2. The world was a better place when Van Halen was in it.

Nothing else really needs to be said.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the KING of ten fingers and six strings, Mr. Edward Van Halen!!!"- DLR @the '83 US Festival<br /><br />"MY NAME IS FRANKENSTRAT!!"-Gene Wilder,1974-Young Frankenstrat

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uh....OK - Then, here's mine:

People are going to bitch, so disclaimers up front:

1) I attended the show in Cleveland.
    2) I am Dave-biased.
    3) I think Dave's band is better than Sam's (MA wasn't in Cleveland).
    4) I think the only way to appreciate music is to be objective about the who, what, and where.

After the first leg, the FANS are winning!!

They are both doing their thing and doing great.
    On any given night, one could come off better than the other. There are obviously many fans on each side and this Dave vs. Sammy thing will go on forever. So quit starting stupid threads like this! They always degenerate into the same thing! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

There are a few thing I would like to see different in the 2nd leg though.

For SAM:

1) Stop slowing down the show with songs like Eagles Fly.
    2) Replace Right Now with another less-heard VH tune - I am so sick of Right Now.
    It is the most over-played Sammy-era tune!!
    Replace with Humans Being!
    3) Stop shoving your fucking tequilla down our throats!
    4) Play more songs with less interaction with crowd.

For DAVE:

1) Replace Jump and Dance The Night Away with Jamie's Cryin, Take Your Whiskey Home, House Of Pain, The Full Bug, Romeo's Delight, or Me Wise Magic.
    2) As well as replacing Jump, add a 2nd song to the encore.
    3) Interact a little more with the crowd - although I can't really complain about 90 minutes of pure Rock'n'Roll!!

Bottom line is that the Fan Win!!
    (twonabomber gets credit for the first with that line!!) [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I'm just trying to wait patiently for the Darien Lake show on 8/31!!

BTW - To make the tour perfect, have Dave close every show!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ July 03, 2002, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: VH2001 ]

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I agree, the fans are the ones that win.

I got to see Dave and Sammy at the same show.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VH2001:
    Uh....OK - Then, here's mine:

They are both doing their thing and doing great.
    On any given night, one could come off better than the other. There are obviously many fans on each side and this Dave vs. Sammy thing will go on forever. So quit starting stupid threads like this! They always degenerate into the same thing! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Yeah, these things do tend to degenerate. But face it, the tour, and its current guise, sets the stage for this discussion.

I'm interested in knowing really how many people agree that Sam has had the better tour thus far. Not interested in who the best lead singer is, or who the best lead singer of VH WAS, just who people think is putting on the best show night after night.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 564 Times in 306 Posts

Donor

I'm going to see them on Aug 6 in Raleigh, and personally don't care who wins, as long as they both ROCK.

That said, I wish that if Dave is going to play exclusively Van Halen songs, except Yankee Rose, that he'd at least be acting like he did back then when he originally played them live.
    Put on a show!! You didn't used to JUST play a crapload of songs....you put on a show. You talked to the fans. I'm not too worried about Dave singing all the words....he didn't sing worth a crap back in the day, either. He interacted with the fans during the songs. He either half-ass sang, or just plain didn't even try, and did something else when he was supposed to be singing.
    So who cares if his voice isn't that great now. If he was putting on half the show he used to, nobody would even care if he could actually sing live.
    One more thing: Since Dave IS at least speaking/singing the words on this tour, forget Me Wise Magic....he has no prayer of ever singing that one live. CGTSNM would be a possibility, though.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VH2001:
    (twonabomber gets credit for the first with that line!!)
    i gotta learn how to do that little trademark thingy then...

to say one is winning over the other, when you've only seen one show, is crazy. and whether Dave or Sam "met the expectations of people around me" means jack shit to me. i got what i wanted (well, part of it). i liked the show enough that i'm roadtripping Buffalo (or am i roadtripping for the tailgate party? )

the "contest" vibe of the tour is more of a media thing. gives them a reason to do a writeup of the show. besides, there's no such thing as bad publicity. say whatever you want, just make sure you get the names spelled right...and there's no motion like PROmotion...switching opening duties is the only way to keep things honest. they've both had sucessful careers, no reason one should take a backseat to the other every night.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VH2001:
    (twonabomber gets credit for the first with that line!!)
    i gotta learn how to do that little trademark thingy then...

to say one is winning over the other, when you've only seen one show, is crazy. and whether Dave or Sam "met the expectations of people around me" means jack shit to me. i got what i wanted (well, part of it). i liked the show enough that i'm roadtripping Buffalo (or am i roadtripping for the tailgate party? )

the "contest" vibe of the tour is more of a media thing. gives them a reason to do a writeup of the show. besides, there's no such thing as bad publicity. say whatever you want, just make sure you get the names spelled right...and there's no motion like PROmotion...switching opening duties is the only way to keep things honest. they've both had sucessful careers, no reason one should take a backseat to the other every night.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Here you go Tuna!
    "The only winner is the FANS!" ™ ©2002 Twonabomber

I agree - from one show to another, someone could be great the entire tour and have one "off" night. If you see that "off" night, you're gonna give that guy a bad review!
    I think they both did a great show in Cleveland.
    I'm more biased toward Dave, but I have to give Sammy his props - he put on a great show!

YES, twona - you are coming up for 3 shows!
    The tailgate party, Sammy and Dave!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From all of the reviews it looks like Dave is kicking Sam's ass.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    From all of the reviews it looks like Dave is kicking Sam's ass.
    I think they're about even.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by ec_anarchy:

The true litmus test is this: When you went to the concert, you expected something from both of these guys. Honestly, who left you less disappointed?

Neither, both rocked! (Though I did prefer Dave's show, no spots to "leave and go get a hot dog")
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Both guys are selling. Dave is selling his shit DVD. Sam is selling his shit tequila."

I don't have a issue with anything you said except the part about the tequila. Have you tried this stuff? Again, tequila is as objective a taste as music, but this stuff is great.

OK, back to the topic.

KR
    If it will rock we will roll.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

based on what i saw in devore, here are my thoughts...

sam sounds better than dave does. sam is stronger vocally than dave is. dave ain't what he used to be, but in my own opinion can still front vh.

wolfman hit it on the head when he said roth is doing the "frank sinatra" act...all he did all night was stand there, he hardly moved around at all, just sang.

the whole tequilla and fans on bleachers thing is pretty lame but we should expect it from sam, just like we should expect dave to do the jackoff bit and forget the fuckin words.

whoever closes has a decided advantage imo. of course when mikey walks out to play with sam and no one but us internet fans know about it, it's great for sam and a kick in the nuts to roth. imagine if mikey played a set with dave? people would be stoked beyond all belief!

sammy sounds better, period. but ya know what?...

when dave walks out onto the stage you can see the attitude in his face. his lines like "you sexy mother fucker" during you really got me and the spoken part of everybody wants some still gets a roar from the crowd.

two different singers, two different bands and stage setups.

my thoughts are that if both guys had a basic stage setup like dave's, and mikey played with both guys, or did not play at all, dave would be winning hands down.

of course, just one man's opinion...the hell do i know anyhow?

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the most part , I agree with the author of this thread...except about the tequila remark, I dont think Sam is selling anything...did he ever say "buy my tequila" ? No...he's just up there having a good time.
    You know, they say love is blind...and along that same line..so is the devotion the Daveaholics show to him....I think DLR could walk out on the stage and just hum the whole show..do his jack off bit and they would all say he kicked Sam's ass...theres no objectivity for them...if someone says Sam did better than Dave...its like a threat to their manhood or something....
    I saw the Gorge show in Washington...I also saw VH with DLR in Cincinnati Ohio back in 1983...
    The Dave I saw last Saturday night , although I thought he did pretty well compared to what I expected, was a shell of what I saw in '83 .
    He was stiff, lifeless, almost like he needed to gain confidence before he could move. He also forgot words, sang verses twice , came in late in several spots...and relied on some very old, very tired bits . Seeing Dave do his jack off bit is like hearing the same old joke for the 50th time, you kind of chuckle and then think...well..what else have you got...? I also saw the sam old Dave superiorority complex that probably got him kicked right out of a VH reunion. You can see it in his face...Dave soaks up adoration just like a sponge soaks up water . Remember a few years back when dave was with the boys in VH and they were recording, and it looked like he was back in...and then they did the MTV awards...and the crowd went nuts, and so did Dave...this was also the night that the reunion went out the door.
    I fear that DLR back in VH would be just like the show I saw last week...A VH nostlgia act...
    and thats all it would be.
    Sammy Hagar was entertaining , his voice is amazing, he's energetic, and I'm sick of hearing about what a downer Eagles fly is...its a hell of a song.
    I also wish Dave would have done more of his solo stuff. I loved his stuff from Eat em, and Skyscraper...Damn good is a great song, so is his Tobacco road cover . But it seems he's just trying to show the VH boys he's still capable of fronting them. Which, he is...barely.
    I would Love to see VH reborn with either guy, and would pay to see them either way. Personally I hope its Sammy, but who knows , it might be neither one of them, or it might be nothing at all. And if the latter is the case...I thank Dave and Sam for doing this show, and giving us all a taste of what we miss most of all.
    Thanks Guys !!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Peace
    keVH

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by kevohman:
    except about the tequila remark, I dont think Sam is selling anything...did he ever say "buy my tequila"?
    and they weren't trying to sell Reese's Pieces in the movie E.T., either... he doesn't have to say "buy my tequila" when the name of it is plastered all over the place. it's just like product placement in a movie. they don't say "buy a Sony TV" but the label on the TV is there for all to see...so yeah, he's "selling" it, just being a bit more slick about it.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10