Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! What a show for Dave. I HOPE someone got this one on audio or video and will be trading it soon! Roth's set SMOKED! Brian Young has Ed's tone and sound down and they simply sounded phenomenal! Dave even pulled "Yankee Rose" out of retirement, too! I was in the center of the pavilion and it was deafening throughout Dave's set. Even at the very end when Dave's mic went out and they brought him a second mic that also didn't work, he didn't have to say anything and the crowd was going absolutely crazy!! Dave delivered what he said he would in the WRIF interview. He played the songs just like we remembered them. No long talk breaks like we are accustomed to hearing. No changes in the songs or forgetting lyrics. He brought the catalog out and kicked ass! Atomic Punk, And the Cradle Will Rock, Mean Streets, You Really Got Me, Panama, H4T, Runnin with the Devil, Dance the Night Away, So This Is Love, Beautiful Girls, Ain't Talkin Bout Love, Ice Cream Man and more!! The show simply kicked ass! I don't know what else to day about it!

Sammy, on the other hand, wasn't very impressive. The show starts with a large painting of the Cabo Wabo Cantina hanging in front of the stage and they play the song, Cabo Wabo, over the PA while the people are loaded onto the bleachers. The shows started with "Red". Now, I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I went to the show expecting to be disappointed but hoping to be surprised by Sammy's show. I was hoping to walk out with a new respect for Sam, but that didn't happen. The crowd for at least 15 rows in front us and around us was pretty inactive except when Sam played the "Girls Gone Wild" video on the big screen or brought out the half naked waitress. Now, I am all for the naked
    chicks I don't have a problem with the women at all and they were F-I-N-E. BUT, those were the only points of the show where the crowd really went wild. About 20 to 30 people and I were sitting through most of Sam's set, chatting about Dave's set. Sammy spent quite a bit of time talking. Talking about his tequila, about his club, about his wife and actually telling some stories about writing songs with Ed. Then, the most repulsive thing happened. At the beginning of Poundcake, they show a video of a drill drilling holes into a striped guitar, turning it into swiss cheese! Nice shot at Ed, Sam. I couldn't believe it! I thought that was totally uncalled for. Regardless, Sam's band didn't really pull of the VH material very well. It was adequate, but certainly wasn't to par. There were some cool spots, like Runaround and Top of the World, but he ruined Poundcake and Finish What Ya Started. Not to mention that they did Right Now without anything accompaniment. Just Sam and the piano and that was his last VH tune. Oh yeah, he also had Ted Nugent and Kid Rock come out to introduce him. Ted said he was sober for 18 years, but it was all over tonight and he held up either a bottle or a large glass of Cabo. It was just one long infomercial. Ted came out for the encore and did "Wild Thing" with Sam and his band and that got a decent reaction. Overall, it just seemed like Sam was relying on nude women, the Red Wings game and Ted and Kid's local popularity to try to pull the crowd in. They were cheering, but not for his performance. I guess that may be what people came to see, but it's not what I came to see. Dave ruled and Sam fooled. I didn't think Dave still had it in him, but he proved me wrong last night! I want to see Dave close a show on this tour and see if it is just as intense. If anyone has Dave's show recorded or comes across it, please contact me for a trade!

Scott
    www.vanhalenaudioarchive.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel it, VOOFNDOO.....

But hey, we're supposed to lighten up, right ? [img]redface.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

WoW Voofndoo.....I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. I was at the show as well. 12th row (left side of stage). And I though Sammy kicked Dave's ass hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, Dave's little antics were incredibly tired. I mean, when he grabbed the bottle of Jack Daniels and put it between his legs like it was his penis, and then began thrusting his hips like the whiskey shooting out of it was his orgasm...I was just in shock. I expect something like that from a band who's lead singer is 20 years old. But dave is in his mid 40's and that just seemed wayyyy too juvenile.

Secondly, those videos behind him were pretty lame. If anyone wants to see the video's he played, go to www.davidleeroth.com and the video that comes up is the one that he played over & over on the screen.

Thirdly, it sounded to me that his voice was nearly shot. He couldn't reach the high notes he once reached, and his voice kept cracking. I was very unimpressed with Dave's performance.

And finally, yes, Dave's band was flawless. And his new guitarist played Eddie's riffs to perfection. However, that seemed lame to me. For all intensive purposes, Dave simply was fronting a Van Halen tribute band.

Sammy, on the other hand, was ton more fun. First off, Ted Nugent & Kid Rock introduced Sammy Hagar. Isn't it funny that no one introduced David Lee Roth, but Kid Rock & Ted Nugent introduced Sammy??? That tells me that Sammy must be a cool guy and Dave must be kind of a d*ck. Otherwise, wouldn't they have introduced him as well?

Sammy also played a nice mix of his solo stuff as well as Van Halen stuff. I wanted to hear the solo stuff. To ignore it almost entirely like Dave did was kind of disappointing. I also thought Sammy interacted with the audience MUCH better than Dave. Sammy held up EVERY banner that was thrown up on stage. He wore virtually every shirt that was thrown up on stage. Sammy gave updates of the Red Wings score during his show, and the Red Wings shirt he wore for the last half of the concert was thrown on stage by a fan. Hell, he even signed autographs for those in the first couple of rows after his encore. Now THAT is a cool guy.

And Sammy voice was great. I didn't hear Sammy's voice cracking or straining to hit various notes. All the people around me were indicated that they were disappointed in Dave's performance, and they all thought Sammmy's was better. And most of those people were Dave fans. So, that should tell you something about Dave's performance.

At any rate, you are entitled to your opinion just as I'm entitled to mine. It just goes to show you how two people can see the same show & come out with totally different perspectives.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THE SAMMY FAN WHO POSTED BEFORE MUST BE ON HIS PAYROLL!!! DAVE WAS AWESOME!! VINTAGE VAN HALEN. NO OTHER ROCKER IN HISTORY IS IN THAT GOOD OF SHAPE AT 47. HE PLANNED 19 SONGS AND, FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE '81, 'AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK' WAS PLAYED LIVE. DAVE NEVER WAS A SINGER WITH A GREAT TECHNICAL VOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE - HE NEVER TRIED TO BE; SO SAYING HE COULDN'T HIT THE HIGH NOTES IS FOOLISH!! DLD is VAN HALEN, PURE AND SIMPLE. FIRST THE FIRST TIME EVER, HE REALLY SANG ALL THE WORDS, TRYING TO MAKE THE SONGS SOUND CLOSE TO THE STUDIO VERSIONS. THE HOT CHICKS AT THE SHOW WOULD HAVE TAKEN DAVE OVER SAMMY IN TWO SECONDS. HELL, THEY'D HAVE TAKEN MOST OF THE USHERS OVER SAMMY!!

SAMMY HAS A GREAT VOICE WHICH HE'S HELD ON TO, BUT THAT'S IT. HIS SET LIST WAS LAME, AND HE USED EVEY GIMMICK IN THE BOOK TO MASK THAT FACT. HAVING NUGENT AND KID ROCK INTRO HIM WAS PURE GIMMICK. ROTH DIDN'T NEED AN INTRO, THE CROWD KNEW EXACTLY WHO THEY WERE DEALING WITH!! CONSISTENTLY REFERRING THE TO SCORE OF THE RED WINGS GAME WAS A FRAUD IF YOU ASK ME. AS ROTH BEGAN HIS SET, THE WINGS JUST SCORED TWO GOALS; AND IF HE'D HAVE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT IT THE CROWD WOULD HAVE WENT WILD. BUT HE DIDN'T BECAUSE HE WAS THERE TO PERFORM ROCK N ROLL MUSIC - NOT ENGAGE IN SOME AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION GAME.

THE SUMMARY OF THE SHOW IS THIS: SAMMY RELIED ON 'STUNTS' AND ROTH RELIED ON PERFORMANCE, MATERIAL, STAGE PRESENCE, AND GREAT GUITAR WORK.

ROTH 95

HAGAR 45
    TX7081040

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brett can you make a rule to kick people of for using caps hahaha.. Hey man, you should check out dlrarmy, because thats more of your style if your into sam bashing.. I don't mean to sound me mean to the army, because they run a cool page.. They are just bias, and love the diamond one, which is the purpose of their site. Over here at the links, its more like we talk about all era's of van halen, even cherone.. lol Yea, people will say sammy sucks, and dave is better. Or dave sucked, and sammy rocked.. But, people don't go out of there way to make a full post about bashing, and defending.. Go to the shows man, and have fun [img]smile.gif[/img] And i'm not trying to sound like dick, because i like roth just as much as the next guy. I'm just saying, its ok, you can calm down [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "And my loves got no rain check baby!"-DLR