Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well look at all the people here tonight.........

'Just got back from the opening show to kick off the Sam & Dave tour. No voice, 'still hot & sweaty, so here goes:

First off, 'great meeting you Twonabomber & friend ! We met at Hooters as the sky opened up.
    Thunderstorms rolled through the area right up to showtime, in the muggy, high dew-point atmosphere.

The waitress at Hooters comes to our table & when we informed her where we're goin', she's like "Who's that ?" Sam(my) ? David Lee Roth ? LMFAO !!

Anywho, off to the show...'Didn't buy any merchandise, as each performer had their own set of shirts, but nothing with the Sam & Dave stuff together , not even a program. Sammy has his own program for the Waboritas, but that's it.

Sam opened with "Red" from his solo days, which a good chunk of his set consisted of. "I forgot my pencil", so I'll just run down the tunes. Twonabomber I think will have them in order - 'saw him with paper & pencil.

Red, 3 Lock Box, '55, for which someone threw a Cleveland Indians home white jersey up, with "Sammy Hagar & 55" in the circle with the line thru it on the back - Cool enough; Theme from Heavy Metal, Eagles Fly, Right Now (with an acapela-type percussionist near the front), Runaround,
    Poundcake, One Way to Rock, Give to Live, Mas Tequila, Cabo Wabo, Dreams, Red Leather (?? I know the tune, it's older from pre-VH, 'not the name lol), and closed with Why Can't This Be Cheese ?. I've probably left out a few [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] .....

A couple of surprise from Sam as well. First of all, the Cabo Wabo bar set-up for his stage had two sets of what I'll assume were contest winners, one set on each side of the stage, sitting in small bleachers. On the right side, where Ed used to be, was.....ready for this ....?? a cardboard cut-out of the man himself, with short hair from the Balance days. This did not bode well, and sure enough, one of the guys next to the cut-out kept bending/folding the head down, with some occasional encouragement from Sam, until the Ed cut-out just was no more .

The other "surprise" ? As they started Poundcake, the drill intro was produced on the video screen, with footage of a drill going thru the neck and all thru the body of Ed's blck & white striped Frankenstrat [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] . Yup, this actually happened - 'gave me a weird kinda' chill.....
    Sam made several references verbally re. Ed, but didn't name him directly.

Dave opened with Hot for Teacher, then went right into Panama. Other Dave/Van Halen tunes performed this night: I'm The One, 'Cradle, 'Runnin with The Devil, Beautiful Girls, Atomic Punk, You Really Got Me, Ice Cream Man, Pretty Woman, Dance The Night Away (and we did), 'Ain't Talkin''Bout Love, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, So This Is Love ?, Mean Street, Everybody Wants Some, Little Dreamer, and for the encore, Jump.
    Dave hit the high note on more than several occasions, 'forgot the words once or twice [img]smile.gif[/img] , and was clearly having a blast. His band is quite tight, indeed & the guitarist shredded note-for-note...'only thing missing was Ed's tone. I was impressed ! No references from Dave re. Van Halen, which after Sammy's, showed a different side. All those who think Sammy may get back with Van Halen....well, umm.....it would take some MAJOR grovelling or apologizing on both sides, me thinks after witnessing this.....

Enough for now........

[ May 30, 2002, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Don Kirschner Fan ]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

dude,

that poundcake thing is fucked up! holy shit! lol. ok i'll retract what i said about sam possibly coming back. wow! what a fuckin jab at ed that was!

wonder if mikey will get on stage with sam after something like that?

thanks for the review don! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    dude,

that poundcake thing is fucked up! holy shit! lol. ok i'll retract what i said about sam possibly coming back. wow! what a fuckin jab at ed that was!

wonder if mikey will get on stage with sam after something like that?

thanks for the review don! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Yeah, 'fuckin' jab is putting it lightly . It was quite blatant, indeed, not to mention that fucking cardboard Ed that got trashed 2/3s of the way thru his set. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] No Mikey, either...Rumour had it on local radio that he still might show up, but.........

JMJ

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

at least dave kept quiet.

i hope sam don't do that shit at my show. if he keeps on doin that, i'll bring a cutout of him to my show that fucker!

JMJ

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JMJ, it really was a shock to the old system. And yea, Dave seemed to have showed some restraint/class by not referring to the brud'das...

A Sammy cut-out ? But the video with the drill looks like a real part of the show.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Originally posted by Don Kirschner Fan:
    JMJ, it really was a shock to the old system. And yea, Dave seemed to have showed some restraint/class by not referring to the brud'das...

A Sammy cut-out ? But the video with the drill looks like a real part of the show.
    oh i'm sure i could think of somethin

JMJ

-Zachenfoot 2/23/10

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Thats really disapointing to read that about sam and the drill in poundcake. It's one thing to sling mud in interviews and all that shit, but quite another to take it on the road as a part of your gig that entire audiences see. Sam would be just a barely makin it musician without ed right now. Thats pitiful. My hat off to DLR for not pulling any punches like that.

Btw, who would you say had the better set? You did a pretty good job being impartial with your review, but c'mon, who stole the show?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seen, yep ! I hear the drill intro & look at the guitarist, then up to the video screen. I'm like: [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] You see the sawdust coming up from the black & white, 'from the neck, body...'Didn't "feel" good, y'know ?

Everyone go to the thread started by Brett, so they can close this up.....

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

That sounds horrible man..

btw, I think THIS is where we were supposed to chat it up about the show, and the other one is where reviews only go?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think this show sold out (re. attendance).
    I've seen Blossom much more crowded for Van Halen & Ozzfest.

Some ask "Who was better ?", but again, at this show anyway, I did again feel like an old man. Clearly many much younger fans that probably grew up seeing Sammy with Van Halen. You could see the peeps not knowing the opening chords to many of the Dave era tunes, while others quickly left with their boyfriend/girlfriend in tow, some I think, disgusted by Dave's sexuality . He did afterall masturbate a bottle of something early on, onto the front of a woman hehe...But that's what it used to be all about. Many of my true peers were not in attendance, having probably given up on Van Halen long ago.....

Last Online

11.26.07 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seenbad:
    Thats really disapointing to read that about sam and the drill in poundcake. It's one thing to sling mud in interviews and all that shit, but quite another to take it on the road as a part of your gig that entire audiences see. Sam would be just a barely makin it musician without ed right now. Thats pitiful. My hat off to DLR for not pulling any punches like that.

Btw, who would you say had the better set? You did a pretty good job being impartial with your review, but c'mon, who stole the show?
    I totally agree w/you!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Women hockey fans ROCK!!!!<br /><br />Bogey33.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can hardly wait!! Just a few more days!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Guys thanks for the wonderful reviews! You all did a great job describing what the show was like! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Can't say it there though, cuz THIS is the thread for that, but... Man, I'm so UP now, that I can't wait!
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Sounds like a good show and it sounds like Dave also out-classed Sammy. How did the die-hard Van Halen fans react with the bashing of Edward? I'd boo over that (or maybe some of you would say baa). Sorry, funny or not, it's just tacky, as well as the promotional crap for his tequila and Cabo Wabo. I never liked the Dave bashing during the 5150 tour either. I'm at a concert for music, not commercials and if you have such an issue with Edward, don't play the songs that helped your career out 200%.

I hope Dave keeps it up throughout the whole tour and maybe just maybe, we'll have a real VH reunion next summer.
    Could this be magic?

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by z28girl:
    How did the die-hard Van Halen fans react with the bashing of Edward? I'd boo over that (or maybe some of you would say baa).
    OTHLOL!
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

*My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed "

Z28girl, 'was too shocked to boo ! The Ed cutout was one of the first things I saw as the show started. It was situated as if Ed was in the "peanut gallery", a Sammy fan, and took a beating until it was, literally, "Face down" in Cleveland.

Mmebe they didn't do Somebody Get Me a Doctor..?? [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] The backing harmonies that escalate in that tune during the chorus come to mind, but....lol