Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The following review was posted by CITIZEN ZERO in 8/27 NH Review.

Originally posted by CITIZEN ZERO:

First off, I would like to say to anyone who claims that Dave has lost his voice or should hang it up etc. etc... You people know as much about VH as the guy who wrote the liner notes for the WCF cd claiming TORA TORA was an instant classic.

You guys just don't understand what classic VH attitude and music is all about. You should lock yourself in a room and jerk off to the LIVE WITHOUT A NET video...

This ain't 1984.. I knew that the minute HFT started. That isn't Alex up there. But the guy who wrote those songs, and sings them on the record. That's the fuckin guy that was on stage tonight. Dave brouht his "A" game tonight, I feel bad for the West Coast, I've seen the videos of the first leg of this tour where he is just standing around.. Dave was all over the stage tonight.. During "Everybody wants Some? Dave had the crowd in his fuckin hand... "I'm The One" was insane,, who do you want singing this shit?? Hagar? Cherone? Bret Fuckin Michaels?? Dave is doing what he does best, in top form.. I've read the reviews of the sound being fucked and covering for Dave's voice.. BULLSHIT.. His voice was right in front tonight (except Yankee Rose)..
    Brian Young is great,, no Eddie. Nobody can match the intro to Mean Street or Eddies tone.. Nobody..
    What more does Dave have to bring to the table...
    I can't imagine what it would have been like with VH behind him.. Maybe someday we will find out...

Oh yeah Tequila boy went on after Dave.. After the 3hour video montage and 3 lock box I headed out to the highway...I can't justify writing a review of the guy who turned VH into a second rate Journey....
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

I will try to make this review brief. All I can say is that I have been a VH fan since WACF came out, and I have most of the bootlegs of old and newer shows and have seen VH at least 10 times, starting with the 5150 tour. That being said, I think the previous poster was correct in saying that Dave did an excellent job. If you know anything about most old Dave era bootlegs, you know that his voice never sounded all that great. I have seen Dave solo about 4 times previous to this and would have to say that this was the best I have heard him sing. His mix was great, and his band did an awsome job at covering the parts. I have no doubt that Dave could front a VH tour, but I will say that I don't really know if or how Dave could take VH into the future. All of his one liners were right out the pages of 1984. The friend I was with could'nt understand how I knew what Dave was going to say. I just said "that's classic Dave for ya".
    Now on to Sammy. I feel sorry for the guy that left early. How can you honestly review something if you won't even give it a fair listen? Sammy had a wonderful video outlining his carreer that was being played while the rodies were probobly fine tuning the stage.(an awsome idea if if you ask me). It brought back some of the greatest VH moments of my life and it really set Sam up to come out and rock! His show was equally impressive and his sound, voice, and band were right on. I am not posting song titles because I don't think anything was played that has not been said before. Sammy really knows how to treat an audience nice. He never trashed on VH and got the crowd totally into his show. There were red heads all over the place. I also tend to forget what a great giutar player he is.
    How would I compare the two? I would'nt. I love Dave and Sammy equally. I think Dave needs VH more than Sammy does, but I feel that Dave needs to step into 2002 a bit more if he wants a future with VH. Playing old tune VH tunes and doing all the stage tricks is great, but when it comes to moving foward, I think that is probobly the stumbling block with Eddie and Alex. I don't think audiences like being spoken at. They like being spoke to. All in all I think the fans win in the end because I just heard one continous night of kick ass rock and roll! I am going to the show again tonight in Mass. Hopefully I will get more insight by seeing two shows back to back. I can't wait to see Mike. Whoo Hoooo!
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First, sorry for the length of this review but I have a lot to say after seeing these two last night.

My review comes as someone who likes both the DLR and Sammy eras of VH equally. I also like both of their respective solo careers equally, though I consider the heights of DLR’s solo exploits to be higher than Sammy’s, but Sammy’s overall solo success better than DLR’s (primarily due to Sammy’s longevity). Nonetheless, I consider it fortuitous not to be influenced like some in the online VH community by their strong preference for one lead singer and their utter hatred for the other, which taints their opinions of both singers and their time in VH, IMO. But, to each their own, I guess.

My wife and I have seen both of them in concert several times previously (DLR solo/Sammy solo & with VH). Going into last night’s show in Gilford –- for which we had 10th row seats -– our expectations were lower for DLR’s performance than for Sammy’s. But we were pleasantly surprised by DLR. The crowd popped for both singers, though there seemed to be a slight preference for Sammy (probably due to him having toured as a solo artist more than DLR has the past few years, including a previous performance at this very venue not too long ago).

DLR was scheduled to open the night and hit the stage at around 7 p.m. but didn’t until about 30 minutes later. Of course, he played a set list that we are all familiar with, comprised only of classic VH songs, except for “Yankee Rose.” Among the VH tunes he played: “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, “And The Cradle Will Rock...”, "Atomic Punk", “D.O.A.”, “Dance The Night Away”, “Everybody Wants Some!!”, “Hot For Teacher”, “Ice Cream Man”, “I’m The One”, “(Oh) Pretty Woman”, “Jump”, “Little Dreamer”, “Mean Street”, “Panama”, “Runnin’ With The Devil”, “So This Is Love?”, and “You Really Got Me.” It was a little disappointing that we didn’t get to hear “Romeo Delight” or “Unchained” (especially in place of the cover tunes like “(Oh) Pretty Woman” and “You Really Got Me”), but with only 90 minutes to perform, what can you expect. Nonetheless, it was great to hear tunes like “D.O.A.”, “Little Dreamer” and “Atomic Punk”, though many in the crowd didn’t seem to know these tunes. WTF was their problem, I don’t know. Like many others have said in previous reviews, I really wish DLR had played more of his solo tunes, but since he’s basically trying to get back in VH (like Sammy, who has begun openly lobbying for this opportunity), he’s decided to focus on the VH classics. Nothing wrong with that, but I would’ve like to hear “Goin' Crazy!”, “Bump And Grind”, “Knucklebones”, “Skyscraper”, etc.

DLR’s stage presence and performance as a showman were excellent (slightly better than Sammy’s IMO) and the crowd was rocking. It was like it was 1984 all over again. He sang all the words to all the songs, with a few strategic changing of the lyrics here and there (as did Sammy). To me, this is no different than EVH slighting changing a riff or guitar solo when performing a song live. It adds to the concert experience. If I want to hear the tunes performed EXACTLY like they are on the albums, I can sit in my family room at home and listen to the CDs. However, I think CITIZEN ZERO is deluding himself when he writes, ”I've read the reviews of the sound being fucked and covering for Dave's voice.. BULLSHIT.. His voice was right in front tonight (except Yankee Rose)..” I found the sound to be muddy, probably to cover some of DLR’s vocal deficiencies, IMO. (If CITIZEN ZERO had stayed to see Sammy he would’ve noticed it even more, as Sammy’s voice and his band’s sound were noticeably clearer and better.) That’s not to say DLR doesn’t still have a voice to pull off all the tunes, because he did last night. Based on his performance, I would have no doubt that he could front VH on these tunes. But DLR undoubtedly doesn’t have the same vocal power that he once did nor does he have (or ever had) the same vocal power as Sammy.

DLR’s band was better musically of the two bands, though I found the Waboritas to be tighter. This has to be due mostly to their familiarity with one another built up by playing with each other longer than the members of DLR’s band have been playing with one other. Nonetheless, Brian Young/Ray Luzier/James LoMenzo and Victor Johnson/David Lauser/Mona/Jesse Harms are good but NOT in the same class as EVH, AVH and MA. Whenever DLR or Sammy played VH tunes, I really missed EVH’s guitar tone and technique (and even his keyboard playing), AVH’s drum power and fills, and MA’s background vocals. But I don’t think I needed to tell anyone that.

I agree with those that say DLR needs to update his look a little if there is a future with VH, especially his clothes. Since his set was so nostalgia laden, I can completely understand and agree with him coloring his hair and wearing the clothes that he did for this tour, which fit the era of music he was portraying. But I hope that DLR can creatively bring something new to the table in the future, whether it is as the lead singer for VH or as a solo artist. The 48-year-old DLR is still in excellent physical shape and can still pull off the spinning kicks and other on-stage acrobatics (maybe not with kicks as high as they were 15-20 years ago, but impressive nonetheless), but he should also consider cutting and re-stying his hair. For example, one drunk guy in the restroom between the DLR and Sammy sets uttered loudly that DLR “looks like the professor in those ‘Back To The Future’ flicks.” It wasn’t an original joke, as all of us on this board have read or posted before, but it certainly was fairly accurate –- despite the drunk guy looking like he knocked back an entire vat of Cabo Wabo Tequila. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

DLR’s one-liners weren’t as tired as I expected, as he didn’t give the “I’m gonna fuck your girlfriend line” to a guy in the crowd, but instead made it a little less caustic by saying, “Your girlfriend said you’d be a pain.” Even when he used the “I forgot the fuckin’ words” line, he used it more tongue-in-cheek than I’ve seen him use it before, like he knew we knew he was going to use it. But the simulated jerking off and ejaculating with the Jack Daniel’s bottle made me cringe a little bit. I guess that’s just Diamond Dave though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sammy was also on last night. I think CITIZEN ZERO’s derisive comment about Sammy’s video montage (or as he called it, a “3 hour video montage”) was actually a cheap shot. The montage was actually only about 10-15 minutes (or 15-20 minutes less than the time DLR hitting the stage was delayed), and my wife and I enjoyed watching it before Sammy hit the stage. Especially great was seeing Sammy talk about his time with VH, along with all his great memories of his time in the band.

As I mentioned earlier, Sammy’s band and voice sounded really good and clear, as you could definitely tell the difference in sound quality between the two bands – including Sammy’s voice, which is as powerful as ever. Sammy played a lot more VH tunes from his era in the band than I thought he would. He played “Best Of Both Worlds,” “Dreams”, “Finish What Ya Started”, “Right Now”, “Runaround”, “Top Of The World”, “When It’s Love” and “Why Can’t This Be Love”. Isn’t this more VH stuff than he’s been previously playing each night on this tour? I don’t know what this portends, if anything, about desire to reunite with VH. He also played his normal solo staples, such as “I Can’t Drive 55”, “One Way To Rock”, “Mas Tequila” and a couple of others. Overall, the crowd was rocking the entire show, except for the overly long EVH story he told during the beginning of “Finish What Ya Started,” which drained some of his momentum and the excitement from the crowd.

I’ll freely admit that there is a focus by Sammy on selling his Cabo Wabo Tequila, with him drinking it on-stage, various paraphernalia all over the venue and stage (including Sammy wearing a promotional shirt during a song or two), and it was available for purchase at a hefty $9.50 for an 8-oz cup. But I have no problem with that. He has turned it into a viable product and business, and as someone with a business background and education, I’m always a supporter of people’s entrepreneurial exploits. BTW, it was the first time I tried the tequila and I thought I was drinking lighter fluid. I think Space Shuttles use that stuff as fuel. After all, this morning I ate breakfast then brushed my teeth and used two doses of Listerine but I could STILL smell and taste it. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

DLR certainly did his share of hocking product, too, as the “No Holds BBQ” video footage was broadcasted throughout DLR's 90-minute set on the big video screen that both of DLR and Sammy used during the show. Moreover, the videotape was being sold for $20 (I believe) with the rest of the tour memorabilia. BTW, I didn’t have any interest in seeing the videotape so I passed on it. I was actually disappointed that there weren’t any shirts, programs, etc. co-promoting both artists on this tour, as only Sammy’s stuff existed.

Like DLR, Sammy really needs to change his outfit and look, too. Between the flowery Capri pants and his bushy hair, Sammy sometimes looks like Bozo The Clown on mescaline. Well, you certainly can’t accuse Sammy of being trapped in the past like DLR with his wardrobe, as Sammy’s entire outfit was NEVER in style for a male (or female) of the human species. I also wasn’t crazy about the bleachers set up or the need to have waitresses come out to serve him drinks (mostly Cabo Wabo Tequila), but I think the Jimmy Buffett-like act works for Sammy. He’s rightfully earned a reputation as a fan-friendly performer by doing things like signing autographs for fans –- who were in the on-stage bleachers or in the crowd -– in mid song without missing a single lyric, and wearing clothes that fans throw on stage. BTW, Sammy serenaded the crowd with an truncated a capella version of “Cabo Wabo” as we left the venue, which was a nice send-off for the crowd (or further hocking of the tequila if you are a cynic).

As for you guys that say, “Sammy is fat”, you have got to be kidding. I’m not one to judge the physical appearance of guys (not that there’s anything wrong with that ), but though DLR is in better physical shape, I would guess that 54-year-old Sammy is in better shape than 95% of the people who post on this board. He took his shirt off on a couple of occasions at the show and the guy has a flat stomach, which considering the amount of booze this guy has consumed over the years –- and continues to consume –- is pretty impressive, to say the least. I’m going to have to continue to work out for the next 20-plus years to be in the same shape that Sammy is in when I’m about to turn 55.

I found DLR to have a focus that was geared around everybody honoring him, while Sammy brings the crowd into the show a little more. Nonetheless, both approaches work for me on different levels, and it makes the show that much more entertaining by having such divergent approaches by both performers. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Overall, there was no winner –- except the fans (a clich but apropos last night nevertheless). DLR was the better showman while Sammy was the better singer, though as I mentioned, DLR held his own as a singer and Sammy held his own as a showman. For anyone that left that show after DLR (which there weren’t many as it was completely unnoticeable to the naked eye), you really missed out on a fun time for the final 90 minutes.

This show only supported my preference to VH reuniting with both singers and releasing an album and touring with both of them. IMO, it’s the only way that VH could properly honor the entire history of the band and all fans -– DLR partisans, Sammy partisans, and those, like myself, that equally like both eras. My uniformed opinion says EVH, AVH, MA and Sammy would do it, but I question if DLR would take part in this sort of arrangement. I believe he wants it to be just him at the helm of VH or he won’t take part in any sort of reunion. I hope I’m wrong.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

If you went to the August 27th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here. No flame wars!

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.12.13 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Delighted Romeo, NICE POST! These reviews are admittedly subjective, but from my perspective, your review was about as dead-on as one can write. Very unbiased. Captured everything I tried to include in my review of the August 11th Pittsburgh show and then some. Your review is making me look forward to the Syracuse show. Rock on!
    "With me in the band, it's one of those miraculous 97-97 deals. It's 97 percent you and 97 percent moi. Is it Mick or Keith? I don't know" -DLR

"We eventually started playing clubs, and we also did weddings. We played everything from the Ohio Players to K.C. & the Sunshine Band. You would love the sight of Van Halen doing 'Get Down Tonight'! But by the third set when everybody was good and tanked up--boy, we'd be blazin'!" -Michael Anthony

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by oldno.7:
    Delighted Romeo, NICE POST! These reviews are admittedly subjective, but from my perspective, your review was about as dead-on as one can write. Very unbiased. Captured everything I tried to include in my review of the August 11th Pittsburgh show and then some. Your review is making me look forward to the Syracuse show. Rock on!
    Thanks for the kind words, oldno.7! Have fun at the Syracuse show! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln