Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

If you went to the June 24th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Just got back from the show, THIS TIME in my opinion DAVE ROCKED THE HOUSE, he was amazing, Runnin' with the Devil was the best ever.
    Great Performance, the audience loved him, I prefered this Dave than the Devore show Dave, he looked more in his zone, he had a great Time, and made us feel that.

Sammy was very Good, Michael RULED Again, he is just perfect.

I wish Sam would do more VH songs though, I missed Right Now and many others, instead of Mas Tequila.

Loved the SHOW they Kicked Major Ass!!!

"DIAMOND" DAVID LEE ROTH, he is the Rock Star.
    SAMMY "RED ROCKER" HAGAR, he is the Rock Singer.
    THEY BOTH RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT SHOW.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Just got back from the show, completely exhausted, as I was standing up and grooving the whole time (unlike quite a few other people).

But let's get back to the beginning...
    As I went up in the little shuttle going from the bottom of Universal City to the City Walk, the guy riding next to me told me he had seen VH when they were still Mammoth!
    That certainly made for a good beginning.

I entered the venue as soon as I could. I was seated way on the left (if you looked at the stage), in the orchestra. Secutiry was pretty tight, and they weren't joking around about everyone staying at their seat (which sucked).
    I still managed to find a better seat and was about 20-25 feet from the stage, on Vic Johnson's side.
    First the Sammy VIDEO presentation started. I thought the beginning of it was kind of odd. Some of the 80's videos (VOA, Give To Live, Winner Takes It All) were particularly awful and embarassing. It started being better when it came to Sammy's VH years. People started getting into it at that point. The ending was good too. Then over the speakers, they played almost the entire version of Cabo Wabo, from the OU812 record. I found that extremly akward for several reasons:
    -this is not a VH show but a Sammy show, so why play a VH song as an intro?
    -playing a song from the record is more like a karaoke vibe than a live vibe.
    Very strange. But at the end of the Video, the venue was PACKED. It didn't feel at all like the opener was about to arrive on stage, but more like the headliner.
    Then the band opened with Red. Contrary to what has been said before here, I thought it was an excellent choice. Sammy looked quite fit and wasn't wearing a ridiculous outfit (quite a relief!). The energy onstage was quite incredible and the vibe was very positive.
    Immediately, something was clear: people criticizing Vic's playing obviously don't know a thing about guitars. He played a brilliant show. He taps, he does the harmonics, everything. Plus a very good slide player. You could not fault him at this show (I've taught guitar for 10 years and toured in several countries). I don't know what people criticizing him were thinking, or maybe they had another idea in the back of their minds.
    Top Of The World was next (if I remember right) and drew an excellent crowd reaction. Sammy talked quite a bit and was jumping all over the stage.
    The highlight was definitely Mike joining the stage. Sammy joked that they had been celebrating Mike's brithday for the last week, and that they had partied in LA the night before! Just seeing Mike onstage drew a huge crowd reaction.
    Mike added something really great in the vocal department, and with him and Mona sharing the Mike, it trully made the choruses huge.
    Poundcake, 5150, WCTBL, Dreams, FWYS... Mike made those songs incredible.
    I thought the new intro to FWYS built a nice momentum. As far as 5150, I too would have liked the original intro.
    But come on, it's not because of Vic's ability that they don't play it. It's just a musical decision to make the song shorter. And I can guarantee it was probably Sam's idea as he makes the call on the set list. I'm sure Vic didn't say "oh let's cut out the intro to 5150".
    I thought the pacing of the show was actually pretty good. A few people did leave during Eagles Fly, but he didn't do Give To Live, so it was actually a very short slow moment. And Eagles was after maybe 6 or 7 heavy songs, so it was cool.
    I thought 3 Lock Box was maybe misplaced, because it was jsut after Mike left, so it was a bit of a let down.
    One Way, Heavy Metal and I can't Drive were quite awesome, as the ultra-heavy Rock Candy. The sound was good too.
    The encore was Dreams, with Mike. Great great vibe.
    Sam singing with the people on stage, giving them the mic, all that made for a really great atmosphere.
    At the end Mike bowed with the rest of the band, like he was part of the Waboritas.
    At one point during the show, Sam said to Mike "It's been too long".
    "Seven years too long", replied Mike. He actually said that twice. 2002-7=1995, i.e. the Balance tour, the last tour VH did with Hagar.
    It's easy to see why Mike decided to play with Sam, he clearly indicated what he wishes for...

The crew then proceeded to clear the stage. What I thought was funny is that they had a guy vacuum the whole floor, to erase any remenants of the Cabo partying. It felt weird that Dave ordered his stage to be spotless... very un-Dave...
    Dave entered the stage to Hot For Teacher, but minus the drum intro, which made for a very confusing start. The sound was also noticeably less good for Dave than for Sam.
    Dave seemed a little hesistant on his singing on that song, and the song generally didn't really move the crowd that much, which is strange considering the quality of the material. Some people weren't back yet from grabbing a beer, and a lot were sitting. Panama followed, to no greater crowd reaction. I thought it was strange that WCTBL would get a bigger reaction than Panama, but that's what happened. People predicting that Dave would "take out" Sam in his home turf seemed proved wrong.
    It didn't help that Dave was wearing an outfit that no straight man would wear in 2002, onstage or off-stage. I would think this could go over very well in gay dance clubs, but a little out of place for a rock show in 2002. His hair looks definitely strange, while his body remains very fit.
    Basically:
    body: 30 years old
    face: 60 years old
    Thing started picking up when Dave went into RWTD. And the following songs from the first album were also very good.
    Little Dreamer was quite spectacular!

Why? Because you could feel some genuine emotion coming out of Dave during that song, no some rehearsed circus act.
    Dave did an excellent little intro on the guitar before Ice Cream man, a very melodic little piece I never heard before.
    Everybody Wants some and Unchained (with the Kendo video) were also full of energy.
    So the show definitely ended better than it started.
    DLR's interaction with the crowd, while less than Sam's, was better than some reviews I read. He did mention "California as the new capital of the United States" and thanked the crowd a couple of times.
    No mention of VH or Sam (Sammy jokingly thanked Roth at the end of his set for "letting us be on his tour").
    DLR's voice was good (by DLR standard, nothing compared to Sam). But Dave was Dave, meaning not following all the melodies, not singing everything.
    So the paradox is that his band has to play everything note for note (especially the guitar player), but he takes huge liberties with the CDs. I don't feel this double-standard works well. In VH, everyone improvised, so when Dave forgot the fucking words, it wasn't such a big deal.
    So his band is competent. They're payed to do a job, they do it well.

All in all I thought the show was great. Both delivered an energetic performance. I think DLR going 100% the nostalgia road runs contrary to the VH spirit. A 50 year old "hot For Teacher" and "ruling the streets at night" doesn't sound credible.

So Dave did the best within the direction he chose himself, a direction that me and a lot of people in the audience didn't particularly understand.

Overall the crowd reaction was better for Sam, even though this is supposedly Dave territory. A lot of people seemed to agree with that after the show. Dave-heads mentioned "a tie", but no one gave Dave the edge.

The VH spirit and attitude is with Sam now, even though the VH "note-for-note" music was with Dave. And I'm saying that while believing Dave-era material is clearly superior to Sam-era.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Both guys still have it. It depends on what IT you want.

Watching Sammy was like watching an aerobics video with guitars. He had lots of fun and of course has a great voice. His opening video was a joke. Talk about kissing your own ass cause no one else will. Mike Anthony is sooo far up Saammy's ass that they may very well have gone back stage for some after performance fellatio.

Dave came out and pulverized the audience non-stop. He has pure attitude and bravado like a Daltry during the original Tommy concerts. His voice was soo much better than I expected. I'd say 95% of what he once had. He owned those songs clearly.

Guess what: I don't want a VH reunion now. I don't think Ed, Al, and Mike can hang with Dave on stage. They are in a domestic happy place and Roth is pissed and rocking harder than ever. I prefer to see Dave with ownership of the initial catalog and let the brothers and that silly-assed MA move on and do another astounding VHIV piece of shi* art work, while Roth can continue to tear up DOA, Atomic Punk, Unchained, RunninWith The D, and so on and so on. It would be nostalgic if Dave didn't deliver as good as he does. This is Roth's material and he knows it.

As far as the winner bs. They both were awsome. I like what Dave did better, but Sammy is a major pro and has his shit down. I just don't like to water down my rock experience with gimmicks, and I prefer the Roth music and attitude.

BTW - Both guitarists were fine. I realized how good Eddie was in his day as well after seeing that music played almost note-for-note.

Roth solo: No reunion please!

ps. How dare any of us rip on Sammy or Roth for their physical appearance. We should all aspire to look that good at their age. I saw many, many aging, balding, ballooning, Hawaiian shirt wearing red/parrot heads as well as high-haired 80's left overs, who pulled out their best black tee, with jeans and snake skin boots. Myself included somewhere in between. My how the times have changed.

[ June 25, 2002, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Rocket ]

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

Vic Johnson sounded good on the Sammy songs and not so good on the Van Halen songs. What was up with the harmonics on Poundcake? He kept playing the same thing over and over again. He butchered most of Eddie's solos. Brian Young killed him. He's so good, it's ridiculous.

Sammy is definitely a better singer than Dave. However, the Dave-era material is just way better than the Sammy-era material.

Dave seemed very wooden during his performance. It was weird seeing him look so uptight. Dave is in great physical condition, but he looks like he has spent way too much time in the sun.

Overall, the crowd reaction for Sammy and Dave was pretty even. Sammy has a lot more going on during his set, while Dave has the benefit of the stronger songs. Classic VH is the greatest R & R ever written.

Michael Anthony definitely prefers Sammy. I think he always has and always will. He provided his usual stellar background vocals. As for Sammy's regular bassist, that dude looks like a chick!!!

I saw Ralph from The Punks between Sammy's and Dave's sets. Believe it or not, he does a better Dave than Dave does now.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love
    Last Online

01.29.08 @ 09:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy again brought a great show and a real crowd pleaser. Great tunes, great energy and a pretty damn cool guy. The Michael Anthony bit goes over well too. A top notch show all around...especially if you are a Sammy fan like me.

Dave absolutely killed the place. He is the frontman once and for all. He's a natural and really hit it on this night. The voice, the music, the stage presence. Damn he's good.
    "F!*^# the concert...Let's go across the freeway and get a drink...whadya say" DLR at the 1983 US Festival. I was there!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by I Coulda Hada VH:
    Vic Johnson sounded good on the Sammy songs and not so good on the Van Halen songs. What was up with the harmonics on Poundcake? He kept playing the same thing over and over again. He butchered most of Eddie's solos. Brian Young killed him. He's so good, it's ridiculous.

Sammy is definitely a better singer than Dave. However, the Dave-era material is just way better than the Sammy-era material.

Dave seemed very wooden during his performance. It was weird seeing him look so uptight. Dave is in great physical condition, but he looks like he has spent way too much time in the sun.

Overall, the crowd reaction for Sammy and Dave was pretty even. Sammy has a lot more going on during his set, while Dave has the benefit of the stronger songs. Classic VH is the greatest R & R ever written.

Michael Anthony definitely prefers Sammy. I think he always has and always will. He provided his usual stellar background vocals. As for Sammy's regular bassist, that dude looks like a chick!!!

I saw Ralph from The Punks between Sammy's and Dave's sets. Believe it or not, he does a better Dave than Dave does now.
    LOL! You do know that "dude" Mona actually is a chick, right?

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Seriously?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Coulda, Sam's bassist is a chick bro. LOL! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I saw Ralph from The Punks between Sammy's and Dave's sets. Believe it or not, he does a better Dave than Dave does now. [/QB]
    Ummmm, Mona (Sammy's bass player) IS a chick.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Alright everybody. I know that Sammy's bassist is a chick. I actually stole that joke from a Beavis and Butthead episode. They were watching a Nelson video and Butthead said, "Those chicks look like dudes." So, I just turned it around. Besides, Mona is one fine looking woman! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I loved the show, and I'm going back tonight to see Dave Open.
    To be perfectly honest with you, if I wasn't going with 4 other friends, I think that I would just leave after Dave's opening performance tonight.

Back to my review: being an amateur musician, I found that Sammy's outfit sounded great and tight, but that they are not cut out to play Van Halen songs, which may be why they didn't play many. Although their guitarist is a decent player, he does not master the EVH solos at all (unless it's a choice of his). Sammy's voice was good, and the energetic parformance was fun.
    If the bleacher schtick sounded like a good idea, I find it laughable. I didn't want to look at 25 middle-aged guys and gals shake their booty for an hour to Sammy's tunes. There's something comical about this I just can't get over. Maybe I'm too uptight, but that's how I see it. A bit ridiculous in my opinion.
    Sammy convinced me of one thing: he's his own artist, and does not represent Van Halen any longer.

Now on to DLR.
    What a paradox: his body looks like he's 25 (I'd kill for abs and legs defined like this) but his face looks like he's 60. Guess that his “small, but manageable driking problem” may have something to do with his appearence.
    Other than that, Dave was fantastic, and the band was tighter than I imagined was possible. I've seen Brian Young about fives times with the Punks, and he was almost perfect then—now he's improved his precision and his tone. He's the closest thing you can get next to EVH. His tone is not Eddie's but thank god, no-one on this earth can match Eddie's feel, and touch. That's why he's the the shit.

Now I'm convinced that VH could have had a great future with Roth, but it probably will never happen.

Thanks for the memories, Sammy, Thanks for the kickass show, Dave!

I thought that Dave won last night.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a new member to the forum, but I've been reading all the reviews since the tour started. For the record, I am a fan of both Sam and Dave and will attempt to give the most objective review possible.
    Sammy rocked, no questions asked. The crowd dug him, and he looked to be having the time of his life. Biggest crowd response of the night obviously was when Michael Anthony took the stage. I think everyone who was there has to admit that their friendship looks very genuine. I'd have to agree with what many people have posted that Eagles Fly just killed the momentum that Sammy had with the crowd. And I really like that song, especially if its backed with a full band. However, I hate to say it but it just made everyone sit down, or take a restroom/beer break. Thankfully, Sam picked up the pace after that and never looked back. I thought it was funny that Sam totally botched the first verse to 55. I'm sure lots of people picked that up. But he recovered nicely, and just laughed it off. I did think the tequilla bottle thing at the end was kinda cheesy. Is it true that the worm inside has a picture of Eddie? I was to far away to tell, but I did see sam give it a kiss. In short, another fun show by Sam.
    On to dave. I was really looking forward to seeing Dave since I was to young to see him in Van Halen. My first impression of him was what someone posted earlier. And that is, "Dave's in great shape, body of a 30 year old, and head/face of a 60 year old." But hey, I give the dude props, he may not be able to jump as high, but he still does all the kicks, and looks pretty damn good for someone his age. However, having said that, it didn't take long for me to realize that the star of Dave's show was his guitar player Brian young. This dude flat out made the show. I knew he would nail Eddies licks pretty damn close, because I've seen him several times with the Atomic Punks. Anyhow, I hate to admit it but Ralph from the punks, I thought did a better version of Dave then Dave himself. Nonetheless, Dave did not disappoint. The crowd loved him, and of course the music was great.
    Here's the bottom line. I think I figured it out. Sammy's image is based upon being a regular hard working guy who likes to have fun, and the crowd loves him for that. Plus, he's one damn good singer. Now Dave's image is based upon him being a "sex symbol/ frontman". Now that both singers are what 20 years older at least from when they started?....Sam's image works better. In my opinion Dave's tryed too hard to be the Dave of 20 years ago. Even still, his set was stellar.
    Who won? Us...the fans. Saddest part of the evening was realizing this may be the closest we'll get to ever seeing Van Halen again.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Originally posted by I Coulda Hada VH:
    Alright everybody. I know that Sammy's bassist is a chick. I actually stole that joke from a Beavis and Butthead episode. They were watching a Nelson video and Butthead said, "Those chicks look like dudes." So, I just turned it around. Besides, Mona is one fine looking woman! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    What are you being a funny guy now? Don't you know we don't allow humor here? [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Brett,

I've got to find some way to pass the time until November when our Lakers and we begin our annual torture of Seen, Sacto and P-Dog!