Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

If you went to the June 16th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

Nobody went to this show? Did the date change or something, so that the guys didn't play 3 straight days?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

FIRST 6
    Favorite VH Song

I REFUSE TO PICK JUST ONE!
    Last Online

03.09.12 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that I am as big a Dave fan as anyone here, so Sammy fans quit reading now if you are sensitive. I have had my tickets since the day they went on sale and paid a scalper $600.00 a piece. Believe me It hurt ,but it was front row and I didn't have to worry about trying to get them later. Let's get to the point!
    I soon as I got inside the entrance and security took my camera!, I saw Ray Luzier walking around with nobody noticing him. I walked up and said I hadn't seen him since backstage in Dallas 1999, where I took pictures with him and Big Ed and got Ray to sign some stuff. The guy is awesome and as friendly as they come. He said how are you doing? I said I was a little upset that they were the opening act tonight, and he said don't worry we are going to put on a great show! I got to my seats right in front of the Bass microphone which I was happy. The band roars and Dave comes out with this blue metalic outfit and he looks great as always. The sun is shining bright as hell when he starts and the whole band is wearing shades. What can I say except that Dave kicked ass! The songs were great!, the band was great!, Dave did plenty of over the head kicks throughout the show.
    He did not tak as much as in the past, but I believe he is just trying to get all of the songs in an hour and a half. He did to jumps off the drums and the crowd went crazy! I was just happy the place was packed when he took the stage since it was only around 7:30. D.O.A was so fucking awesome live,I felt his greatness coming off the stage like it was 1984 all over. The man is a legend in his own time! Dave might not sign the autographs and high 5 everyone and hold up cheesy signs like Sammy gets off on, but how many of the greatest do or did? The legends are above reach. I love that Dave is a Rock God on a whole other level. NOBODY IN THE PLACE SAT DURING DAVE'S SHOW!
    OK, now the Sam show. Some of the oldest, ugliest people he could find were on stage in those stupid bleachers behind him and they were not hardly moving to the music at all!
    There was only 1 good looking waitress and the others were ugly. the stage looked goofy to me. And I have seen Sammy do the same show here last year, and I do like Sammy. Liked him before VH, Liked some of his Van Hagar, even though I did not want him in the band. And I like Sam solo again alright. The point is that Sam has a good voice, has some good solo songs and some good Vh songs. His guitar player is just not good at all, not because he can't play Eddie, he just can't play. He started with RED. I don't want to waste anyones time so I will just say that Sam was Sam.
    He signed autographs, poored people beer, wore signs threw at him, and talked his ass off because he is out of shape. I was front row and kept losing where he was because he was laying on the ground trying to take a break, that fat bastard! just joking! This was very funny, he walks over to me during RUNAROUND and I am singing it to him word for word and then he sees that I am wearing a DAVID LEE ROTH HAT AND SHIRT!
    Sam starts laughing at me and then leans over and wants to give me a high 5 becaus I guess it amused him, so I gave him some skin. Sam is a cool guy, don't get me wrong. PEOPLE WERE SITTING DURING SAM'S SET INCLUDING THE PIT AREA WITHIN THE FIRST 10 ROWS! that should tell you something.
    The concert as a whole is great! But let's not kid ourselves here. DAVID LEE ROTH MAKES SAMMY HAGAR LOOK LIKE AN OLD CLOWN. SAMMY WITHOUT DAVE IS A GOOD SHOW. DAVE JUST MAKES SAMMY LOOK BAD.
    I just can't see how anyone can even compare the 2. Dave is a legend and Sam is just a good Jimmy Buffet wanna be. Sammy will never be remembered as 1 of the greatest frontmen ever. Think about it!
    Wish I had time to have read this over and made it better, but I gotta go and I wanted ya'll to have something to read.
    Hey, I love you guys!
    SEE YOU IN TEXAS!
    KERRY WHEELER

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.17.11 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, I posted my setlist and mini review before the "June 16" tab and subforum were up for this tour, so that is why it is not in here.

The link is Sam and Dave setlist and mini-review: Woodlands 6-16

I posted them last night right when I got back.

Anyhow, I'm going to be objective here and lay it down how I saw it.

I really think the whole "Sam vs. Dave" thing is petty, they both put on a tremendous show. Furthermore, I think most everyone who went to the show last night came out incredibly happy. Props to the other reviewer for at least trying to be ojective.

However, I was in the pit too and I thought more people there were for Sammy instead of Dave. Sure everyone was standing....people always stand the whole show at a concert. I've been to hundreds of concerts and they always do. Classic rock, metal, alternative...people just stand up. There were a few people sitting for each singer (but I was in the pit and didn't see any there for either), but unfortunately most of these were doing this out of protest to the other singer.

I thought the crowd was much more into Sammy, but
    this doesn't mean much because, first of all, he played last (it was much darker and his sound was much louder) and Sammy plays in Houston regularly. For some reason people weren't singing along to Dave/classic-VH tunes, I kept looking around to see, but I found it disappointing.

After Dave's set, when I went out to get some food, at lot of folks sounded extremely impressed though. It was Sammy territory, yet its safe to say a lot of fans came away impressed with Dave just as much as Sammy, despite not being into classic-VH as much.

I think, as objectively as I can be, these guys were both tremendous. Some criticisms I heard: Several people I talked to REALLY wanted to hear one or two more VH tunes out of Sammy. I think this is a very reasonable request. Particularly many people wanted to hear "When Its Love". For Dave, its really cool that he played a couple less famous songs, like "D.O.A." and "Little Dreamer", but some people, including myself, think his set was a little too skewed toward the first album. As well, as corny as it is, a lot of fans really wanted to hear "California Girls". Seeing as this tour is marketed at a much wider audience than just fairly rabid VH fans like us, I think this makes some sense. A lot of people have been out of the VH loop for a while and probably wanted a couple songs they didn't get.

However, again, I came away tremendously impressed. As people have said here all tour, Dave's band is a lot better, but I also thought Sammy's band did a really good job on his solo material in particular. The Cabo Wabo stage setup, although weird, is actually pretty cool. Sammy used his higher budget allowance on this tour to use props, like the margarita bottle pinata, which he normally just doesn't use. Dave's stragegy of keeping the stage simple and focusing all the attention on himself is also interesting, and it works.

This is a tour of contrasts, even down to the decisions to play a whole VH set of a mixed solo/VH set. But I think with an open mind people can enjoy both singers. Face it, they both contributed to the VH legacy. We should all be happy that a band we like so much was graced by two such talented singers and entertainers. These guys are two of the best ever, and I firmly believe anyone trying to have an open mind about them will see that. Dave and Sammy fans went home happy, but I think the people who like both of them probably had the best classic rock show in a long time.

- George

[ June 17, 2002, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: George M ]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Test

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the show, and now that Kerry Wheeler as weighed in, it is time for me to bring some balance to the force. I understand this is not a Sam vs Dave forum, so I will simply tell you what I saw.

Let me first say how great it is to see how many people out there still love and appreciate VH. I felt like I was at a Halen show. It was a packed house.

DAVE NEGATIVES - I believe I read above that "Dave didn't talk to the crowd as much as he usually does." Let me clarify this. HE DID NOT TALK TO THE CROWD AT ALL!!! NOT ONCE! I was drinking, but was not hammered, so I know. After each song I kept waiting, waiting, waiting for him to say something like "Isn't this great, Houston?" or "I love being in the Lone Star State," or "Who would've ever thought this would have happened, me and Sam?" But he said NOTHING. Simply rumbling and blasting his way thru song to song. That, needless to say, was annoying, and to the highest pinnacle of arrogance. Halfway thru he did say, "How you guys enjoying this so far?" The crowd roared, and he continued. He introduced his band towards the end, and that was all the DLR rap we got. The videos of himself in the "Cobra Kai" Dojo twirling his sword around were laughable. My buddy kept saying, "Dude, get over yourself!" I also don't know what the party featuring the Dahm Triplets and the midget were about either. An odd ball he is indeed. For being known as the guy "with tremendous energy and star prescence" Dave stayed extremely grounded. Kinda like Michael Jordan this year. Still great, but staying more on the floor. He did the same little twirling kick over and over, but really didn't exert himself at all. At the tail end of "Jump", he did the full-split off the top speaker....shortly after doing the sign of the cross and looking to the sky to get God's approval. His voice is rough. Like I've read in countless other reviews, it warmed up as the night went, but in still it was not fantastic. It always funny to think of a lead-singer's strength not being his voice. That is DLR.
    Yes, he did jack-off the Daniels on some old, tired, used up 70's white trash beeach.

DAVE POSITIVES - Hearing all the VH classics Sammy refused to play was great. They all rocked, and they all had the crowd fired up. He got a big encore roar, and the setlist was tremendous.
    "Everybody Wants Some" was a pleasant surprise. the man is in tremendous physical shape for being near 50. The band was tight, and the guitarist, although no Eddie, played the solos to a T. The original VH set-list I agree is untouchable. It defines rock, and sets the standard for what other bands should be judged by. Does that mean Roth is THE reason for that? Yes and No in my opinion. Is Dave a Hall of Famer? First ballot without a doubt. But this isn't 1984. The years have been much kinder to Sambo.

Sammy negatives - No "Right Now". That would have set the place on fire. But it didn't happen. The low-light of the night belongs to the Red Rocker. He pulled up his shirt to the crowd once. Needless to say, this was not well-received. A canidate for "Men's Health" Hagar is not. The story into "Finish" was long, but I liked it. Starting with "Red" is a hit or miss. It's a song that defines himself, but still, outside of morons like me that have bought all the old solo shit, it's not well known.

Sammy positives - He was fantastic. This guy is amazing. Nearly 55, a full head of bleached-blonde hair, a voice that still rips as if it were '86, and an abundance of energy. He ran all over the place, tore thru guitar solos, kicking and spinning his way all over the place. Sammy is so easy to like it's funny. He's down to earth. He appreciates his fans. He talks to them. He signs autographs, he ACKNOWLEDGES those who pay money to see him. A pair of red boxing gloves was thrown up. He took the time to try them all, do a little invisible sparring, sign them, and toss them back. He also made the crowd laugh by talking about how "Iron Mike got his ass kicked." Is it cheap to hold up banners the crowd has made about you? Of course not! Shit, would you resist? "Yeah, that banner you took three hours making for me is great, but I'm not paying it any attention, sorry." What a load of crap. Cheap gimmicks? Non-sense. Sammy always makes me smile, and always plays tunes that put me in a good mood and make me feel good. Ending the night with "Dreams" was so perfect. I know, I know, I know...that many of you on this board think this one is cheese. To me, it's the best song Sammy ever did with the band, and one of the best VH ever recorded. That song, and RANGE it has to be sung in make it pure magic live. It gives you goosebumps. WOW.
    My good buddy was a huge Roth fan going to this thing, and always said "Sammy was a joke". But the time Sammy had the entire 10,000 or so singing "Top of the World", which was tune #2, he turned to me and said, "He's better already."

Obviously, I am a big Sammy fan. Simply, for the reasons I have posted above. And yes, whoever closes the show has a huge advantage, simply because it's change, and something new, and quickly you like it better than what you spent watching the previews 2 hours or so. But it so easy to see that Sammy, at least at this stage, is so much more talented than Roth. Vocally, he towers above Diamond. This is nothing new. The other amazing thing is that he has almost 10 years on Dave, and could still front VH tommorrow. Dave is the same age right now that Sammy was during "Balance". Food for thought.

In summary they were both great, but my heart will always be with Sammy. He continues to prove that he will not leave without a fight!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

ICE CREAM MAN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, let me say that I upset that Dave
    had to open. He was supposed to close this show
    and because of the San Antonio stop being postponed Sammy got to close.

Let me start by saying that I was thoroughly impressed with Dave, his band, the set, and his
    performance. I, like many, have thought for a long time that his voice was in decline. I was very impressed with his singing and yes, even the screams were good too! It seemed to take a while for everyone to get there but about half way through his set the place was pretty packed.
    I damn near got in a fight with a guy behind me
    because me and my buddies refused to sit down. Let me just say this guy was not small(about 6"5
    250 lbs.) but we held our ground. I don't get these pussies who go to a kick ass rock concert and sit on their ass the whole show! Anyways, like I said, Dave kicked some serious ASS!

By the time Sammy got there the place was full. I didn't particularly care for "RED" but the rest of his set was very solid. His band was good but not as tight as Dave's. Don't get me wrong, I sang every word to every song and had an absolute
    blast during Sam's set but I will say that on this night Dave stole the show.

I have seen VH with Sammy twice and have seen Dave once and I do have to say this is one of if not the best concerts I have ever been to!! Check it out if you get the chance!!
    "The only people that put iced tea in a Jack Daniel's bottle are The Clash baby!!!---David Lee Roth